[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debris Shelter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 630x420
Has anyone ever built something like this? And how?
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 410x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 410x630
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 630x420
>>
>>789604
Looking at the photo I'd say apparantly yes.
>>
Make a frame, in the second picture you can see how the supporting logs hold up the rectangular roof. Strip the bark off some logs and cut them to stack around the frame and fit snugly together. Build a fire place from rocks and clay and attach a chimney. Pile dirt and debris onto your hut, for insulation and build a fire pit from rocks and. Wait for grass and moss to grow on top of it.
>>
What would one do to slow/minimize the decay of the wood in the structure caused by the humid climate in the soil? Is using a layer of plastic the only real solution or would a thick layer of soil and vegetation be dry closest to the planks, given that some sort of oven or stove is used frequently to drive out the moisture?

Btw. interesting thread OP
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 640x640
>>789604
Comfy as FUG, senpai
>>
>>789604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUmCorQpDpQ Here's the video if anyone havent seen it
>>
>>789614
Top kek
>>
>>789604
yes.
with patience.
>>
>Has anyone ever built something like this?

I think the guy who built the one in the picture built one, but maybe it's a photo shop
>>
>>789645
Given that the walls are really steeply sloped, they probably drain pretty okay. You could perhaps increase the drainage by having a rocky underlayer, maybe? Also using rot resistant wood like cedar might help. Also, there is treated wood, but again the chemicals used to treat the wood is not great if you are health-minded.
>>
>>789816
Reading this post I probably need to clarify that I mean a rocky underlayer under the sod part of the walls/roof.
>>
>>789614
Heh
>>
>>789614
brutal
>>
>>789605
COMFY
O
M
F
Y
>>
Haven't slept in one but there's a few of those open for everyone here. Going to try definitely sleeping in one some day.
>>
some day i wanna live in one of those
>>
>>789614
lmao
>>
>>789607
SOME BODY ONCE TOLD ME
>>
>>789604
These look fucking neat, OP. Just checked out their website and I think I know what my gf and I are gonna do for a weekend this summer.
>>
Wait peeps will pay money to sleep in a shelter. Are any of you hipster goofs willing to pay money to come to my wood lot n build a bunch of these. Il even supply the saws n axes. Now I need to learn how to write a business plan n get a government grant. Imagine the money I could pull in with all the hipster woodsman wanna bees supplying free labour.
>>
>>791483
Honestly I bet you could get a business like this set up if you do it somewhere picturesque and use the right instagram filters when photographing the huts.

Hell, I'm tempted to build one of these little things for myself. I'm definitely gonna visit the area in OP's picture though
>>
>>789657
ty anon
saved OP's pic years ago because it looked comfy, finally have source
>>
File: 950226-g4Lgg.jpg (500 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
950226-g4Lgg.jpg
500 KB, 1280x960
>>789604
These are coalers huts. As the charring coal pile needed near constant tending for days on end, these were built adjacent so the coalers could work in shifts.

You often find remains of the hearths scattered troughout the forrests of mid and south sweden, usually with a crater nearby from the pile. Tar - a byproduct from making charcoal primarily from pine - was once swedens biggest source of income in terms of exported goods

>pic related, one in construction for some open air museum
>>
>>789604
maximum comfy, pham
>>
>>791336
Underrated
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.