[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good /out/door literature? Need some things to read over the winter.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
Good /out/door literature? Need some things to read over the winter.
>>
>>789440
I was about to post. Literally summer has barely started. Then I felt dumb and realized the flawed logic.

Idk any good out books. Dunno last time I even read a book. Probably like the 3rd grade or some shit. Why not do some winter foraging instead?
>>
The King James Bible.
Of Mice and Men
The Great Gatsby
The Good Earth
>>
>>789459

>The King James Bible.

religion not wanted
>>
A couple /out/ books I read recently.

>Walden - Thoreau is a bit of an annoying bitch

>The monkey wrench gang - I like Ed Abbey and this book was okay, a bit longer than it needed to be.

> the tent dwellers - reads like a kids school report on what they did over the summer but did make me want to go /out/ more

> the complete angler - some awesome poems and stuff, neat read if you like histoty, written in the 1600's didn't make me a better fisherman
>>
Butcher's Crossing
>>
The big two hearted river by Ernest Hemingway is great, very beautiful setting, very subtle themes. Superficially it's just a story about a guy fishing but it had more of an emotional effect on me than you would expect.
>>
>>789491
It's not what you want but what you need. It could be the best decision in your life, it's has been for many people.
>>
Wordsworth's Guide to the Lakes
Don Quixote
>>
>>789522
hahaha gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>789522
Let me guess. You come from a christian country and have not reflected why you picked Christianity?
>>
Sand County Almanac
>>
File: death-in-the-long-grass.jpg (51 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
death-in-the-long-grass.jpg
51 KB, 302x475
classic
>>
>>789572
Let me guess: you are wearing a fedora?
>>
>>789822
Fuck off with your shitposting. Everyone knows the dedicated hat on this board is a green beanie.
>>
>>789504
>Thoreau is a bit of an annoying bitch

>reading Thoreau
>not getting it
nice try faggot

Gonna pic up a book called Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm soon. I think it'll be a good read.
>>
The leatherstocking tales.
>>
>>789513
Hemingway's short stories are some of this best, if not his best work. there are many good outdoor stories there. I've fished the Fox River
John Gierach is an excellent writer if you like fly fishing. Another great writer from Michigan is Jim Harrison, who sadly passed away a month or so ago.
>>
Patrick F. McManus, Not true literature but good "outdoor" stories

https://books.google.com/books?id=JFrdsqnWvb4C&pg=PA51&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
File: jim_harrison.jpg (100 KB, 960x685) Image search: [Google]
jim_harrison.jpg
100 KB, 960x685
>>789911
“Barring love I'll take my life in large doses alone--rivers, forests, fish, grouse, mountains. Dogs.”
― Jim Harrison, Wolf False Memoir
>>
File: Ernest-Hemingway_1936815b.jpg (63 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Ernest-Hemingway_1936815b.jpg
63 KB, 620x388
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
>>
File: maclean_360x450_0.jpg (97 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
maclean_360x450_0.jpg
97 KB, 800x1000
Norman MacleanNorman Maclean > Quotes

more photos (1)

Norman Maclean quotes (showing 1-30 of 73)
“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”
― Norman Maclean
1256 likes Like
“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It and Other Stories
>>
Seriosly?!
Nobody has recommended Jack London
>White Fang
>Call Of The Wild
>To Build A Fire
>>
>>789459
9th grade English tier

>>789491
FatFedoraMan.jpg
>>
>>789857

Vegetarian-chaste-teetotaler-anarchist mooches a place to stay off of a friend claims living this lifestyle is so spiritual and rad or is it satire ahuehue.

Fuck Thoreau.
>>
MOBY DICK
Joshua slocum's book
shackleton by huntford
Life and Strange Surprising Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York
anything Hemingway
roughing it by twain
anything Jules Vernes especially 20k leagues UTS and 80 days

Moby Dick is by far the best /out/-thing ever written and I literally know next to nothing about sailing.
>>
>>790340
Moby Dick is the greatest book.

Alongside SUTTREE - another top-/out/ read - my favourite work.
>>
>>789440

Moby Dick

In the Heart of the Sea
>>
>>790438

Related:

>"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."
>>
>>790442
Damn, it's about time I re-read that as an adult, a lot of it went over my head the first time.
>>
Dersu Uzala
>>
>>789440
As the other anon's said : MOBY DICK. It's amazing.

Tolstoy's the Cossacks is beautifull as well, great descriptions of the /ou/life.

And Turgenev's a hunter's sketches has some of the most beautifull scenery i've ever read in it.
>>
The Old Man and the Sea. If you read it and didn't care for it try this audio version narrated by Charlton Heston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB2l3DENCMQ
>>
>>789440
A book that I never would have picked up had I not been required to, but couldn't put down once I started:

Bless Me Ultima
>>
File: Henry David Thoreau, older.jpg (28 KB, 265x400) Image search: [Google]
Henry David Thoreau, older.jpg
28 KB, 265x400
>>790271
You sir are literally a faggot.

Seriously fuck you.

>Vegetarian

So the fuck what. He raised his own crop, instead of getting his meat from walmart like your poor ass. He chose a different path, so fuck him right?? no fuck you.

"and when my friends have asked me anxiously about their boys, whether they should let them hunt, I have answered, yes,--remembering that it was one of the best parts of my education..." in Walden, higher laws

>Chaste

Yes, by his own choice. Who gives a fuck besides fuck boys like you who will never get fucked anyways.

>Teetotaler

Same thing. Who gives a fuck. Thoreau didn't go into the woods to get tanked and hide from civilization like your stupid ass does in a state park next to a sink and shit house once a year.

>anarchist

Did you ever read Civil Disobedience you fuckwit? He calls for a better form of government, a more just system. more noble men and thinkers to inhabit it. But your stupid ass might not follow. Is he upset with society? Bet your stupid ass he is. Anarchist? no.

>mooches a place to stay

Because that bean field raised itself
>you're literally a faggot, 2nd edition

>claims living this lifestyle is so spiritual and rad or is it satire ahuehue

Yeah Thoreau was a transcendentalist. It's about intellectualism and novelty in nature. nature is rad you donkey fuck. living in it is rad.

>In Conclusion

go die

>pic related
a man greater than anything you'll ever amount to
>>
File: A Cavern of Black ICe.jpg (28 KB, 302x500) Image search: [Google]
A Cavern of Black ICe.jpg
28 KB, 302x500
A cavern of black ice. The protagonist has some sweet /out/ skills and that part of the book is very realistic, tough the rest is fantasy. It always makes me itching to go /out/.
>>
File: hatchet_gary_paulsen2.jpg (156 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
hatchet_gary_paulsen2.jpg
156 KB, 333x500
Yeah, it's meant for young readers, but fuck if I don't enjoy a good Gary Paulsen. /out/ as fuck.
>>
>>790870
>fuck boys

stopped reading there, I sincerely hope that phrase is not part of your everyday vocabulary.
kys nigger

3/10 because I responded
>>
Larry McMurtry's westerns (like Lonesome Dove) have a lot of /out/ content. They're about cowboys surviving in the Texas wilderness.
>>
>>789513
you know where can i get it? like purchase it online
>>
>>790881
Agreed. Im trying to find a copy of it now
>>
Where The Red Fern Grows
>>
Skeletons of the Zahara
The long walk(they made a movie based on it called The Way Back)
A Beaver is eating my Canoe
Hearts of darkness
>>
IM FUCKING ANNOYED WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED INTO THE WILD YOU UNEDUCATED FUCKS
>>
File: outdoors.jpg (56 KB, 533x431) Image search: [Google]
outdoors.jpg
56 KB, 533x431
>>792302
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461357747199.jpg (22 KB, 615x476) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461357747199.jpg
22 KB, 615x476
Infinite Jest, DFW
>>
>>792302
It's a meme book
>>
>>792302
Because he was a stupid hippie
>>
>>790005
Only read Seawolf and it was awful. Are his other works any better (more from a /lit/ than an /out/ perspective)?
>>
A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
American Primitive by Mary Oliver (poetry collection)
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._A._Baker
>>
>>789504
read some of thoreau's short stories.

also read desert solitaire.
>>
I read Custer Wolf by Roger Caras one time. It's about a wolf. Neat.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.