[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thunderstorms inb4 pray to Thor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: ZWPnPq.jpg (168 KB, 1100x469) Image search: [Google]
ZWPnPq.jpg
168 KB, 1100x469
How dangerous is it to get caught up in a thunderstorm while hiking in the mountain?

I mean I could die, but what counter measures could reduce the risk when the weather suddenly changes or smth?
>>
>>788892
It depends. Are you below the treeline? Find a low spot among trees and bunker down.

Are you above the treeline? Try to find a boulder to hide under or move aside rocks and hide deep down in the boulder field as possible. Then pray to whatever God seems closest
>>
>>788892
I wouldn't worry about lightning as much as flash floods or land slides depending on the terrain and how much rain that comes down.
>>
>>788932

okay, definitely makes sense since we had big floods in nothern bavaria during the past weeks.
>>
File: 2016-04-09-1626.jpg (807 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-09-1626.jpg
807 KB, 2592x1456
I was going to ask same thing. We been struck in thunderstorm one night with my friends. I never shit in my pants this much. We were in middle of night, our lights dying and we set up our tents quick as possible without seeing anyshit.

Pic related, its that morning, you can see broken down tree, fucked up by lighting. I still cant believe we didnt die at that night.
>>
>>788994
Wouldn't you hear it burning or something? it looks like that thing was on fire for a while or did just simply explode but a couple of years ago and the leaves died.

Not saying you're lying, but you probably thought that tree was hit after all the hysteria you went through
>>
>>789012
Yeah i forgot to add (or i want to add some thrill idk), that tree probably got hit before us, but still we were idiotic to setup our tents near a struck tree in a lighting storm and it didnt hit us.

Well still i dont have much idea to what the fuck do in lighting storm. Oh btw we buried our batons and cellphones in night, i wonder if it helped us.
>>
>>789029

yeah that issue with electric devices actually worries me. You know you can hide in the landscape and shit, but i dont how much sense it makes sense to dump my phone, knife and shit to not attract a lightning...Advice?
>>
File: 8qV7l.gif (994 KB, 232x227) Image search: [Google]
8qV7l.gif
994 KB, 232x227
So I read up on lightning and basically you dont want to be near an upward leader, let alone BE one too.

Basically I dont get if wearing something that's conductive matters, like a simple headphone wire in you pocket. It seems that from the internet stuff like this is too small to influence whether you'll be an upward lead or not.

Maybe a whole tree might, or the fact that you're on a mountain might, but not a little conductive material that you're wearing.
>>
>>789177
Didn't a bunch of people in France get struck by lightning because they sought shelter under a tree?

Lesson: don't hide under the tallest object around.
>>
>>788892
It's very dangerous, you could get hit by lighting and die. Or just horribly, horribly injured, you can see all the damage as the burning is internal
>>
>>791720
What if we are in middle of trail and there is nothing?
>>
i got struck by lightning inside my own house :C
>>
I deal with lightning a lot while hiking. Basically get well below the tree line if possible. Do not hide under the tallest tree an do not lie down. Lying down causes the charge to move through your heart instead of your legs if there is a strike close by.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.