[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about magnet fishing. I consider buying a 110kg-force
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: geldkassetet.png (2 MB, 987x857) Image search: [Google]
geldkassetet.png
2 MB, 987x857
What do you think about magnet fishing. I consider buying a 110kg-force magnet for 20€ on aliexpress.

Any experience?
>>
>>787917
Are you fishing with magnets or for magnets?
>>
>>787923
I think it's using rare earth magnets to "fish" for "treasure", like water based metal detecting.

Could be a great way to get some free guns from your local river in your city.
>>
>>787928
I don't think you want river guns.
>>
>>787941

>be my neighbor
>acquire old sawn of shotgun that belonged to Dillinger through less than legal means
>get caught with other illegal shotgun
>panic and dump entire collection into Chicago river

You are flat wrong, I would love some free river guns.
>>
>>787917
OP theres a couple YT channels of guys that have found pretty neat old US civil war era relics with a magnet and/or metal detector.
The guy finds old confederate army rifles and stuff, in rivers and creeks.
Sorry, cant think of the channel names atm.
But yeah, could be pretty fun depending on your location.
For 20 euros or whatever, its worth it to give it a try
>>
So why are they always in rivers?

Like good things. Do they travel down stream? I remember a video with some guy finding a few gopros and multiple smart phones. I dont get how THAT much valuable stuff gets lost in there.
>>
>>787990
>Do they travel down stream?
everything travels downstream.
lighter objects like cell phones and handheld GPS devices probably go downstream easily/quickly and probably tend to settle in, or get caught in similar places.
Hence the seemingly odd circumstance of finding multiple items of the same or similar type in roughly the same location.
>>
With all the river shitting going on these days, I wouldn't go near any river guns.
>>
>>787928
kek
>>
File: 0.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
>>787917
>What do you think about magnet fishing.

I cant believe you discovered a hobby gayer than metal detecting.
I am stunned
>>
>>787917
Good way to find meteorites in lakes, which go for a surprising amount per gram.
>>
>>788087
you're a douchedick and a cockcunt anon
>>
>>787954
>wanting rusty firearms that no one will give a shit about and won't work

4chan is an 18+ only website, kid.
>>
>>787976
I saw similar videos. And also im living in europe near some lakes where they sunk hundreds of tons of WW 2 material so there is that potential and in addition i think there might be some interesting stuff near landing stages.

>>788087
I do have to admit its quite a lame hobby but i plan to do it not very often (takes to much time because its mostly scrap i guess) and only when no or few People are around.
>>
File: 1451019057778.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451019057778.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>788144
>implying some pathetic ass rust is going to affect glorious soviet steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgrJElGOMMg

0:25
>>
>>788146
>its quite a lame hobby
I dont think so anon. I think of it much the same as metal detecting or 'beachcombing'. It sounds pretty interesting and fun to me.
I've seen videos on YT of people doing this in Russia as well. Some guys do it in a little row boat out on small lakes and ponds too. One guy slowly rows the boat back and forth while the other guy 'trolls' the bottom with his magnet on a rope. They find all kinds of interesting stuff sometimes.
Seems like a good excuse to get outside and go paddle around on the water.
>>
>>788144

>he doesn't like restoring junk into usable things

the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>788196
>buried is the same as being dumped in the river
>>
Definitely worse than metal detecting, think about the types of objects that are magnetic and then think about what you are hoping to find.
>>
>>787917
This has peaked my interest OP.
>>788087
Tell us about your hobby basement dweller.
I'm going to godo this today at the bridge over a near by creek. I bet I find at least a few interesting things.
I also bet I post pics of the stuff I found before your lazy do nothing ass posts pics of your hobby.
>>
>>788852

Awesome! Would realy appreciate to hear about your results.
>>
>>788835
depends on where you are and what you are hoping to find.
>>
>>787917

i did it at the mall lol, the waterline was down and there were a shitload of toonies and loonies in the water (Canadafag), got them all with a magnet and string and made like $30
>>
>>788941
Did you get any carts?
>>
File: bubbs.gif (907 KB, 499x269) Image search: [Google]
bubbs.gif
907 KB, 499x269
>>788945
>>
File: todd_barry.jpg (155 KB, 246x312) Image search: [Google]
todd_barry.jpg
155 KB, 246x312
>>788852
>Tell us about your hobby basement dweller.
I play the bongos man
>>
>>787990
>dont get how THAT much valuable stuff gets lost in there

Never flip a canoe?
Casuals will go canoeing/kayaking/tubing without ever thinking of securing there valuables. It only takes a little for chad and stacey to flip and lose all their shit.
>>
>>789537
The only thing I can think that may be worth anything after being in a river for god knows how long would maybe be camera lenses (they may get screwed too , not sure) but past that I am thinking pocket change, ruined electronics and a keychain or two.

Gold, silver, platinum aren't magnetic. I suppose watches but they'd be screwed by the water too.

I may be completely missing the point but I always thought metal detecting etc was about treasure/antique hunting. I can't think of many things that are magnetic, don't get fucked in water and you would find in a river.

Someone enlighten me
>>
>>791667
The YT channels i've seen where guys do this, they're mainly finding old tools or military relics.
things like axe heads, old rifles, and stuff
Its a novelty for the historical interest and nostalgia of old things lost by who knows who.
For many of them its definitely not about finding 'valuable treasure' of any kind. its the fun of the hunt, the thrill of finding stuff. And the mystery of imagining how the item came to be there.
Its just not a hobby that everyone is going to be attracted to.
>>
>>787954
>sawn of shotgun
>>
File: 1418707136384.png (84 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
1418707136384.png
84 KB, 252x200
>>787954

>sawn off
>>
>>791799
>sawn of the dead
>>
Am I an idiot for thinking you were gonna try fishing for fish with magnets?
>>
>>792256
No, I did too... I was thinking about Magneto from Xmen for a moment "TOO MUCH IRON"
>>
>>787917
When I first saw this thread in the catalogue I was imagining some Wile E. Coyote antics like feeding fish bait filled with iron pellets and then using a magnet to catch them afterwards.

I was disappointed when I read the thread.
>>
>>788210
>>the fuck is wrong with you?
wealth
>>
>>788210
>junk into usable things
>usable things
There's the rub, none of it will be usable. Especially not a gun. Water submersion eats away at ferrous metals fast.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (31 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
31 KB, 426x240
This might be the most embarrassing hobby of all time, and I am a guy that goes carp fishing.
>>
>>792503
Because all guns were thrown off the bridge weeks, months, years and decades ago.
>>
>>792507
You better know exactly what you are looking for then. It doesn't take very long for water to fuck steel. Especially something with moving parts and tight tolerances.

I think the magnet would be best for grabbing fishing lures at popular spots. I bet I could get some of mine back if I bought one of those. Until I snag the magnet...
>>
You guys are greatly over estimating the number of guns getting thrown off bridges in the first place
>>
>>792505
You and me both but I am not the least embarrassed by it. I come from a Hungarian family and everything I learned was passed down by my dad. Now I'm using more of the modern techniques by the pros in england and I love it, don't let bass fisherman talk shit and put you down m8.
>>
>>792517
I am American.
Carp fishing is not even a thing here.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.