[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to climb Everest without having to deal with all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: 1464800622648.jpg (114 KB, 970x728) Image search: [Google]
1464800622648.jpg
114 KB, 970x728
Is it possible to climb Everest without having to deal with all these faggots (like myself)?
>>
>>786859
Parachute onto the summit then take a hanglider down
>>
yeah just do it in the winter that's when the lanes are clear and you can enjoy the summit for yourself
>>
>>786873
Either that or take the Diretissima trough the east wall, nobodies there, ever.
>>
funposting aside, how much money do you have to spend to climb this shit excluding gear and flight to nepal?
>>
>>786859
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangshung_Face
>>
>>786897
A guided trip will set you back about $20000, I think it is.
>>
>>786902
This. Some guy said just this on some TV show I was watching the other day. It was the first time a climber used snap chat or something to document the whole thing.
>>
File: 103166035.0.jpg (633 KB, 3016x2124) Image search: [Google]
103166035.0.jpg
633 KB, 3016x2124
>>786859
yes, but you'd better be good.

>>786904
>$20000

that's cute. permit just for permission is $11k. assuming you're a normal sack of shit gloryhunter who just want to be carried to the top it'll run you $50-150k, depending on how much luxury you want.
>>
>>787020
>gloryhunter
aren't we all?
>>
>>787020
Is it not possible to just "rough it," as it were? Like, start and just go on your own skills and power? I mean, people have done it.

I'm not talking about someone who's never been outside but rather someone who's got the experience?
>>
>>787073

Consider how much shit you'd have to lug up the mountain yourself. It's just not going to happen. If you were good enough you could probably join a real expedition, but that's a "we'll ask you, not the other way around" kind of thing and very few of them bother with Everest these days anyway.
>>
everest is pretty much a tourist attraction nowadays. prepare for serious waiting kilometers up as everyone and their fucking dog wants to scramble up the highest peak on earth on well-walked paths with other people holding their shit for five minutes on the summit for a selfie and phone call.

i'd recommend trying to get yourself killed on k2 instead
>>
>>786869
>parachute
>hanglider

retard, theres not enough air at the summit for those things to work
>>
>>786904
I thought I heard like $35k min somewhere. But that is based on nothing. You better get some sponsorships.
>>
>>787150
70k is standard
>>
>>787138
You just need a larger version of each and they will work just fine. They'd need to be about 67% larger than normal to work.
>>
> faggots
> like myself

Well you got one thing right.

Do all the 'teeners in NA, then we'll talk.
>>
The only thing interesting on Everest now is the bodies.
People navigate by them now.
>>
>>787150
Yeah I was wrong, I was thinking about just the license. $50000-$100000 is more realistic it seems.
>>
>>787153
>>787020
That's fucked.

>>787116
This is what I would do if I had to pick one. But I guess it you're a pro mountaineer or rich explorer like Uncle Deeds or the Dos Equis guy, you pretty much have to do Everest at some point.

Is Everest even that difficult now with all the infrastructure? By infrastructure I mean sherpas and garbage piles. I know it's high and takes mad altitude acclimation, but could an average /fit/ person do it if the weather holds up?

I'm just curious how much cliff climbing and shit it is. I know K2 is the fun one.
>>
>>787232
>but could an average /fit/ person do it if the weather holds up?

With oxygen tanks, yes.

>I'm just curious how much cliff climbing and shit it is.

At this rate Steven Hawking could drive up.
>>
>>787138

It's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ46cuM62ZE
>>
>>787060
nope. i climb for the passion of climbing. that's why i'm fine on just my local peaks.

>>787073
it is, but you'd better be damn fucking experienced, ready to drop tens of thousands of dollars in gear or find a sponsor(s), and even then sherpas who are pissed off that you're bypassing their services might fuck with you.
>http://www.outsideonline.com/1929126/brawl-everest-ueli-steck%E2%80%99s-story

>>787116
>>787232
sorry bros, k2's going the same way. read pic related

>I'm just curious how much cliff climbing and shit it is
almost none. like less than 100' of technical climbing the whole way, never more than 5.6, and really even most of that is aided with fixed ropes and jumars.

>>787235
>At this rate Steven Hawking could drive up.
literally a blind person and double leg amputee has made it up.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mount_Everest_records#Disabled_or_diseased_summiters

tl:dr, fuck everyone who's trivialized everest
>>
>>787291
>like less than 100' of technical climbing the whole way, never more than 5.6, and really even most of that is aided with fixed ropes and jumars.

You have to wonder why they bother.
"Because it's there" doesn't count anymore.
>>
>>787138

You're retarded. Ppl done a bunch of that shit already. Fuck.off fag.
>>
>>787422
everyone that climbs to the top of mt everest are weirdo ivy league hyper type A personality lawyers and sports doctors and bullshit like that

complete fags
>>
>>787291
>>787534
>b-but it's not even hard
>I only climb locally because I'm too passionate to explore anywhere else
>they're rich so everything they do is lame
kek madpoors are the best
>>
>>787550
>b-but it's not even hard
oh, it's hard. but it's not a technically demanding route, and most of the specific challenges other than elevation have been bypassed
>I only climb locally because I'm too passionate to explore anywhere else
definitely not what i said. i just don't need a picture of me there hanging on my wall for people to stroke me off over. i also have no interest in going over about 18,000'. and fortunately my local range is the sierra, so i have a pretty good playground nearby. pic related. :)
>they're rich so everything they do is lame
being rich is irrelevant. paying other people to carry your bags for what should be a personal challenge is lame, doesn't matter how you deride that.
>kek madpoors are the best
>implying you're rich
>implying i'm poor
nah
>>
>>787550
>mad poors

Hiking Everest has essentially been gentrified. The average person can't accomplish this without massive sponsorship. What companies are going to sponsor this? While hiking Everest is quite an outstanding personal achievement, there is little incentive for companies to pay for someone to do it- as it's been done dozens and dozens of times.

What's left? The people who own their own businesses or practices, who can afford the time off and afford to throw money around, so of course this is going to drive up the prices.

Say...when did you summit Everest?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 472x364) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 472x364
>>787610
>>
>>787592

Agreed. And there's also those crowds. As I've gotten older, I've liked the crowds less and less (never really liked crowds anyway). A few years ago, I tried Grand Teton (got run off by storms). The crowds sucked. I met a couple of cool people (including one crazy guy doing climbs using nothing but a shit-ton of 6mm cord w/ a rescue belay) but there were a load of dickheads up there including the guide groups who acted like anyone not in a guided group were in the way and hampering their "work".

To contrast, I was in your neck of the woods several years ago for a solo attempt on Thunderbolt - early season and laaate melt off. Too much rockfall to attempt solo so I hung out for three days and didn't see another human. Very nice. I'll be back.
>>
File: winds.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
winds.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2592
>>787643
yuk. when my kids are old enough for me to take off for a week to wyoming i'm skipping the tetons and barreling straight out to the winds. glad you had a good time attempting thunderbolt. palisades are amazing.
>>
>>787643
I know one of those group leaders, he is kind of a massive prick, but I've noticed that about most rock climbers and mountaineers.
>>
>>787610
>>787592
I'm not interested in climbing Everest myself, but these gripes seem more motivated by the desire to poke fun at one's social superiors than anything about actually climbing Everest.
>>
File: image.png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
image.png
117 KB, 372x351
>>787672
>Social superiors
>>
>>787675
>more money than you
>more power than you
But hey, it says everyone's equal in the constitution so that's that, right?
>>
File: Fat-lazy-man-on-sofa.jpg (216 KB, 768x614) Image search: [Google]
Fat-lazy-man-on-sofa.jpg
216 KB, 768x614
>>787672
>social superiors
aaaand thread derailed
>>
>>787700
money and power are arguably the same thing.

also they have more money now.

that doesn't necessarily imply they'll have more money than me next year or a decade from now. Social mobility is a thing. I'm not likely to move up, but they're extremely likely to move down.

speaking hypothetically of course. I don't know what those guys net. It's probably a lot but then I make a lot too.
>>
File: Mckinley.jpg (452 KB, 2048x1358) Image search: [Google]
Mckinley.jpg
452 KB, 2048x1358
>>786859
Mckinley is way more better OP.
>>
>>787651
>barreling straight out to the Winds
Smart man, they are amazing.
>>
>>787722
>Mckinley
That's Denali to you.
>>
how do i start mountaineering if i dont know anyone who does it and my country doesnt have mountains?
>>
>>788161
move and make new friends
>>
>>788162
will you be my friend
>>
File: temple crag.png (94 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
temple crag.png
94 KB, 259x194
>>788166
will you move to california?
>>
>>788169
will you get me a good job, a house, friends, hobbies and a gf?
>>
>>788175
no
no
no
yes
no
>>
>>788184
sorry but no thanks then
>>
>>788214
probably for the best. if you're so entitled or pathetic that you need to be gifted all those things you're not self reliant enough to be a successful mountaineer. probably better sticking to having sherpas carry your shit like the everest faggots.
>>
>>786859
Messner did it solo, without a support team or bottled oxygen.
>>
>>788372
Well I DO happen to consider myself at his level...
>>
File: olympus-mons3[1].jpg (116 KB, 600x460) Image search: [Google]
olympus-mons3[1].jpg
116 KB, 600x460
Better to climb this then...
>>
>>787020
>that's cute. permit just for permission is $11k. assuming you're a normal sack of shit gloryhunter who just want to be carried to the top it'll run you $50-150k, depending on how much luxury you want.
if you think that it is expensive, then why are there so much litter, which we all now is only done by withie niggers, aka the middle class.
>>
>>788575
Largest in the solar system, right?
I think it would be interesting.
>>
>>788575
>>788618
looks easy though.
>>
>>788635
Jet packs are cheating
>>
File: DSC01646.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC01646.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
>choosing mount memeverest over perfectly tourist-free tian shan or pamir for your 20k+ ft excursions
>>
>implying standing at the literal top of the world doesn't interest you at all
>>
>>788575
I want to wingsuit down that, it would take like 2 hours.
>>
>>788606
>Middle class people can afford a $50k trip

Nigga you serious?
>>
>>788718
abstractly it does.

practically it does not:
>physical damage from hypoxia and cold
>too much gear, too much money, too much time
>too crowded
>requires too much third party support
>too much stress on family

if other people feel validated by it, good for them, but i honestly have no interest. i climb mountains as a personal challenge that i best like to just share with a single partner.
>>
>>788814
Depends on where you set the bar, I suppose. Upper middle class (doctors and such) can definitely afford it, though it may take a little saving.
>>
>>788840
That's not middle class. You're squarely in the 1% if you've got the disposable to climb Everest. Even more so now that you need proof of climbing another 20,000ft peak which will set you back another ten thousand bucks at minimum.
>>
>>788851
>You're squarely in the 1% if you've got the disposable to climb Everest

okay bernie.

top 1% is pulling in minimum $1.4 million. if it's someone's lifelong dream even someone earning $80-100k could find a way to pull together $50k for the trip without too much hassle.
>>
>>788840
Not him but y'all are forgetting that middle class in the USA in 2016 is like $300k/yr. The rest of us have slumped well below the median and are considered poorclass now. The "middle class" is a vast miniroty of Americans nowadays
>>
>>788851
Doug Hansen was a mailman.
>>
>>788864
>middle class in the USA in 2016 is like $300k/yr

bernie plz go

that's definitely not true. i'm at $80k in one of the highest cost of living locations in the u.s. (bay area) and i'm solidly middle class. live in a nice house in a nice area, wife and kid, international travel for fun, and nothing owed on credit cards.
>>
>>787610
There are plenty of people with normal jobs that have summited Everest. Why are you so defensive?
>>
>>788870
I'm surprised you can survive in SF for 80k, bruh. Anywhere else that's good money, but there it's like 40k. Fuck the bay area. Move to the midwest, homie.
>>
>>788875
a) i wouldn't be making nearly that much if i left
b) i have no interest in moving away from my family and the most beautiful area in the world

i lived in texas for three years for school, and i loved my time there, but there's no place better than where i live.
>>
>>788878
>b) i have no interest in moving away from my family and the most beautiful area in the world

Have you even been outside the US?
>>
>>788863
Top 1% is $450,000 a year.
>>
>>788884
Has he ever been outside of SF or is a tangle of concrete, used needles, and piles of homeless people's shit beautiful to him?
>>
>>788884
all over ireland, uk, russia, italy, switzerland, france, finland, jamaica, cambodia, china, japan, canada and the u.s.

>>788888
sf proper is a shithole. i live innawoods down the peninsula.
>>
>>788575
looks like a mount of dirt.
>>
File: France_OlympusMons_Size.svg.png (193 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
France_OlympusMons_Size.svg.png
193 KB, 768x768
>>788902
it's pretty big m8
>>
>>787020
11k permit to climb a fucking rock
>>
>>788660
Where's dat photo
looks like north Africa
>>
>>788903
Damn, that's huge.
>>
File: Space Mountain.png (344 KB, 1113x461) Image search: [Google]
Space Mountain.png
344 KB, 1113x461
>>788903
>>788575
That was the extinct Martian civilization's space mountain
>>
Honestly I'd rather go up Kilimanjaro
Or if not just go hiking around the Huayhuash circuit in Peru.
Other options might be Jengish Chokusu or Annapurna 1.
>>
>>790659
>kilimanjaro
>less commercial than everest
i have bad news for you anon...
>>
do yetis get mad that they can't live on Everest anymore with all the plebs?
>>
>>788660
>>789199
breddy sure that's in South Africa, remember this screenshot from a BBC nature series called Africa...the episode was called "Cape"
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.