[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is canned tuna a good food for going /out/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: tuna.png (117 KB, 268x221) Image search: [Google]
tuna.png
117 KB, 268x221
Is canned tuna a good food for going /out/?
>>
>>786360
I bring it. Only downside is you have to pack out the can. If you are made of money the bags are easier to pack in and out.
>>
>>786360
tuna in oil = super survival food
>>
Calorie wise its not worth its own weight.

Beef jerky is lighter and contains way more protein. Same with spaghetti noodles.
>>
>canned

nope
>>
Bagged is better, but no problem with canned if you're car camping. Goes alright with pasta.
>>
>>786360
bring some saltines, heavenly pair
>>
canned goods are never a good idea, ever
in the 1800´s maybe but not today
>>
>>786365
It's ok, I normally set up camp right next to the river so trash is easy to dispose of.

>>786372
Along the same lines, I camp near the river so I don't have to carry a shit shovel or a ton of water. I think I can carry the extra couple ounces of a food I enjoy.
>>
>>786393
>tossing trash into the river
>drinking from where you shit

Confirmed for scum
>>
>>786372
I just read some labels and you're right, jerkey has around twice as much protein as tuna. but I wonder how much of that does your body digest, seeing as you're basically eating shoe leather? Stupid question?
Anyway, I'm a canned fish addict. Nothing's going to convince me to switch to jerkey. It makes for a pretty miserable meal all in all, while sardines or mackerel (I don't like tuna) are a hearty meal even without accompaniment.
As for the cans, it's easy to wash them in a little bronner's and carry them outside your pack.
>>
>>786393
Are you trolling or...
>>
>>786393
So this is a bait thread.

Sage, report.
>>
>>786393

CITY DWELLER CONFIRMED
>>
>>786414
carrying around canned tuna and bronners on a ruckabout, you sound just like my father, and by extension myself. my father basically only eats foods in life that are either, way too opulent and delicious or, foods that have served him in life. he'll be at home basically eating rations. cheddar cheese, saltines, canned tuna. luckily those are all delicious foods
>>
Sardines baby. Adro latvian sprats all day. $2/160g at meijers. Fucking tasty
>>
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 360x140) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 360x140
If you don't mind the weight and trash go for it. Probably won't find ultralight snobs doing it though.

For a while I didn't take multivitamins. Whatever my body was missing, canned fish seemed to have it because I would get cravings. (Probably iodine?) pic related was way better than tuna. Sardines were good, but you either have to pull the spine out or get small ones where bones are edible.
There's some good canned salmon out there too, but I remember trying some brands that were more or less catfood.
>>
>>786507
Where u live that you have Meijer?
>>
>>786521
>have to pull the spine
>>786521
>have to
>>
>>786521
and canning salmon is just a terrible experience all around. canned fish is usually boiled inside the can to kill of micro organisms, leaving you with boiled salmon, which is a pungent plastic mess. i mean, smeared on crackers with cheese, the pungent flavor is actually preferred, but honestly, the stink stays around too long and its too expensive for what you are buying. herring, tuna, sardine, etc live through the process of canning better
>>
>>786393
Naw... Your bait can't be too obvious. Haha
Don't fucking do that. You're a piece of shit.
>>
>>786389
why? what do you know that i don't?
please share your wisdom
>>
>>786825
he probably means the calorie/weight ratio dried stuff has better, but you need to carry the water for it if you don't know where to find potable water out there so i think it's a moot argument.
>>
>>786825
Not that anon, but my guess is he's suggesting using the packaged equivalents instead of cans. They're lighter weight and pack out more easily
>>
>>786372
The tuna i eat has 40g of protein per can. That's plenty for a snack its size. Also the fat in tuna is good for you and will keep you going long after youve burned off your pleb tier jerky.

Enjoy your sodium induced heart disease while im basking in omega-3's because youre too much of a pussy to carry a few cans around.
>>
File: 1383805465942.jpg (15 KB, 265x290) Image search: [Google]
1383805465942.jpg
15 KB, 265x290
>not catching and cooking his own fish
>>
>>786412
> confirmed for newfag
>>
>>786531
Michigan, but those sprats are also on amazon for the same price
>>
No, but pouched tuna is.
>>
>>786954
>Going out, is desert, alpine or high tundra area
>>
>>786927
there is a hundred application for cans tho out there.
you can use them as cup or container (even boiling water or make a tea is possible), you can make hooks, pins and small blades out of them you can make char material in them use them as lamp if you have cordage, etc...
>>
Is taking sardines with you just asking to make friends with bears? Having to pack out some stinking can.
>>
>>787465
you can cauterize the can in the fire brah
>>
>>787472

or just burn it away to nothing, arent most sardine cans made of relatively thin metal foil?
>>
>>787557
it won't totally burn up. let it sit in the coals to completely sterilize and then in the morning pick it out. it may be partially vaporized but it'll be mostly intact. even the thin foil paper from ciggabutt packs doesn't vaporize in a hot fire... the foil is always sitting right there on the ashes in the morning
>>
Same brand makes vacuum sealed packet tuna. No need lug around cans. I have seen other brands in packets as well.
>>
>>786935
you ca get mad eating too much tuna tho
shit is full of lead, altho also full of selene.
>>
>>787598
I thought it was mercury?
>y u mad bro
>too much tuna
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 495x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 495x238
>>787583
The cans are the best part about tuna. When I'm done eating, I like to see how many times I can skip the empty can across the lake I camp at. My current record with the empty tuna can is 7 skips.

Used batteries from my flashlight and radio are fun to skip too. I once got a AA battey to skip 11 times, but the surface of the lake was like glass that day.
>>
>>787616
>hes_got_a_lot_of_nerve_making_a_post_like_that_trying_to_get_everyone_all_riled_up.jpg
>>
>>787616
Is this the start of an epic new meme?
>>
>>787846
This.

Can/battery skipping patches when?
>>
>>786393

Same thing here, man. I throw all my garbage in the river/sea as well.
>>
>>788057

>Same thing here, man. I throw all my garbage in the river/sea as well.

I bet you are a casual who only does this while camping. Step up your game faggot and bring your home trash with you. You can use your savings to buy some mercury thermometers
>>
>>788106
Pshhh. I save up my trash for the year then hire a barge to dump it in marine sanctuaries. Get on my level.
>>
>>788109
My last two cars and my old bicycle are now a hazard in some Long Beach harbor but are home to numerous species of marine life.
>>
>>786521
Came to post this, Kippers are wonderful.
>>
>>787125
>boiling water
>there isn't a plastic lining
>>
>>787598
>>787604
A lot of metals end up in tuna through bio-accumulation as they are predators that are high on the food chain.
>>
>>788112
long beach is trash anyway ive found tires washed u on shore. cali in general is a giant garage heap
>>
>>787604
that too
>>
>>786365
>Only downside is you have to pack out the can
Not if you bury it far from a water source.
>>
File: 1465173960028.jpg (9 KB, 348x324) Image search: [Google]
1465173960028.jpg
9 KB, 348x324
>>790147
Nigga you what
>>
>>790147
Or you can just, you know, toss it on the ground and walk away
>>
File: 1436274561475.gif (3 MB, 309x225) Image search: [Google]
1436274561475.gif
3 MB, 309x225
>>786686
>Don't fucking do that. You're a piece of shit.
haha, ok ok! ya got me ;)
>>
>>786414
Jerky would contain more protein than tuna in water/oil because it's dried. I mean, it seems pretty obvious when you think of it, it just took me a while.
If you really like fish, try drying some cod or haddock, maybe even lightly salted.
You can dry whole fish, but if you want to make it more handy, cut it up in strips and tread them on a piece of wire, hanging it somewhere with good circulation. 100 g stockfish of cod is about 79 g protein, 1.5 g fat, and the rest is water weight.

I don't know if you'd prefer to have more fats in there, I just crawled out of /fit/ and wanted to bring up this superfood.
>>
Just go for broke and get this stuff:

https://www.tienda.com/food/canned_seafood.html

Amazingly delicious seafood meal whenever you want, wherever you want.
>>
>>790374
>Jerky would contain more protein than tuna in water/oil because it's dried.
tuna in oil will be more calories tho.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.