[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
finding a wool blanket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Ok /out/, please help me with this one. I'm interested in buying a good wool blanket. Doesn't need to be fancy, even just a green army blanket is fine. The issue I have is quality control, every website I've visited, it seems like a total crapshoot, whether you purchase a new or used blanket.

Apparently these blankets shed so much fiber in the wash they become thin and useless? Where can I go to look for a good blanket? Is it worth it? Should I say screw it and just take fleece instead?

Wool general, I guess
>>
File: Filson Mackinaw wool blanket.png (698 KB, 879x650) Image search: [Google]
Filson Mackinaw wool blanket.png
698 KB, 879x650
>>785814
Filson© has really nice Mackinaw Wool Blankets™ made from 100% virgin wool for just under $300.

Great deal considering it's handmade® in the USA.
>>
>>785819
That would make a pretty stylish bedroll, but I'd feel bad laying that on the ground. So good wool will indeed cost me more than $100 then?
>>
>>785823
Ahahaha no.
>>
>>785836
About how much could one expect to spend on wool and actually get something good?

I see blankets that go from as little as $11, up to something like my last quoted post costing multiple hundreds of dollars.

It's not so much about saving money, but rather making the right purchase the first time. A lot of people swear by the surplus army blankets, and I've used them, but every single blanket was different, every week it was a total shot in the dark whether you'd get something that was between either absolute shit or outstanding material.
>>
>>785843
You can get a new Pendleton blanket for around $100 if you look around. They are consistently good quality, though not all that heavy weight if that is what you are looking for.

Also look around your local area for a sheep farm. A lot of them around here will sell blankets of good quality.
>>
File: 1400011409604.jpg (35 KB, 376x270) Image search: [Google]
1400011409604.jpg
35 KB, 376x270
>>785854
Yes, he should definitely just go to his """local sheepfarm""" and buy some blankets from them.
>>
>>785868
Actually in my area I'm surrounded by Mennonites, there's bound to be one of them around who wheels and deals in sheep fur. Maybe.
>>
>>785814
Have you considered going to a second hand store? You could get a good idea of what your getting before you buy.
>>
>>785814
srs ask /fa/
>>
>>785814
just buy a swiss army surplus blanket. 100% wool for 30€. smells of petrol for whatever reason, too.
>>
Thrift shops.
I have at least 6 good 100% woolen blankets that I've gotten from them for cheap. If you want extra cheap, they may put some out as "dog blankets". Some of them may only have superficial stains or small holes that aren't a problem.

Not sure why you would want a woolen blanket for /out/ stuff instead of a sleeping bag, but hey, each to their own.
>>
I swear by having a wool blanket.

Growing up, if it ever got really cold I would just pile every blanket I could get in our house. Now I just have two blankets on my bed. A plain cotton blanket and a wool blanket that goes on top of it. The wool blanket is equivalent to like 2-3 blankets for warmth.

It's just itchy though, so you don't want it directly against your skin. That's why I use the cotton blanket.
>>
>>785814
Filson, Pendleton, or Woolrich
there's others but that's all i can think of atm
>>
>>785892
Sheep fur.
Kek.
>>
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-x-80-inch-wool-blanket-92625.html

I got one of these a year ago and I was just about to buy 3 more for summer. 60"x80" wool blanket for 11 bucks. They're great.
>>
>>786788

I like wearing sheep fur socks while I hit balls with my golf bat
>>
>>785990

Probably to stop moths and insects
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.