[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to start carrying a dedicated camera with me when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: camera[1].jpg (138 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
camera[1].jpg
138 KB, 580x326
I'd like to start carrying a dedicated camera with me when I hike/camp because my phone is a potato. Any suggestions? Bonus points for being compact.
>>
+1 Fujifilm x100 s or t doesn't really matter. If you can pick the older model up cheap that would be a fantastic option.
>>
>>785017
How good do you want your pictures to be? Landscapes or animals? How compact?
>>
>>785034
Landscapes and flora for the most part. Maybe insects from time to time. Compact enough that I can have it not stowed in my pack 24/7 and still not get in the way.
>>
File: 2016-06-04 08.49.26.jpg (309 KB, 1216x697) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-04 08.49.26.jpg
309 KB, 1216x697
>>785017
Nothing better than a Canon G7X or a second generation G7X II

It's a full frame sensor in a tiny package.
>>
>>785114
Or a Canon S100 (powerful point and shoot in a tiny package, also full of picture taking options as in a G7X or other DSLR).

Or the newest version with a bit better hardware and a touch screen.
>>
>>785017
Leica M3
>>
File: tg830blue.jpg (16 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
tg830blue.jpg
16 KB, 345x345
>>785017
Pic related is my dive camera and the one I toss in the pack when I'm hiking. I like it because I can't break it.
>>
>>785114
Actually there are a lot of things better than that hunk of shit
>>
File: -1.jpg (222 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
-1.jpg
222 KB, 700x394
>>785017
Pentax K-50 brah. It's the only DSLR in its price range with weather sealing. I use mine in pouring rain and snow and shit and there's no worry of it getting water or dust damage. People legit wash them off in the shower after expeditions. It's not wicked compact because it's a DSLR but it's a rugged Pentax that doesn't afraid of anything.

https://youtu.be/sXv2HTQCK6k
>>
>>785114
>Amazon
>$649.00 & FREE Shipping

Do you own a filson canvas tent as well?
>>
>>785320
why don't you tell what and why instead of making useless posts?
>>
Zenit E - it's Soviet, so if you drop it, camera break you.
>>
>>785017
I might suggest a canon powershot d30. waterproof. Canon point and shoots are the best in my opinion. I will say though that their waterproof models always seem to be a generation behind other point and shoots which sucks. I tend to use Nikons for SLRs but Canon for point and shoot. Canon has really vivid images, good autofocus intelligence, and is generally a no brainer when taking pictures.
>>
File: galaxy-s7.jpg (47 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-s7.jpg
47 KB, 700x394
>>785320
For easy carry? That will actually be used daily?
I can't really see any competition.

My point of view is simple OP - if you want to take pictures you need to have the camera with you at all times. Preferably in your hand or on hand. Otherwise you may lose a shot of the day.

Today's top tier phones are just awesome for that reason. They take great pictures, also have some options (Mt suggestions have more shooting options as they are more like a small packaged DSLR). for differentscenarios, you always have them in your pocket, they take great photos...
You could also choose a cheaper but still great option - getting a previous generation S6, even S5, or an iPhone.
>>
>>785525
My phone is a potato, and I carry if for a reason. My Nokia has a near-endless battery life.
>>
>>785560
There's an option to preserve batteries on Samsung (battery saver mode and super battery saver mode) where you ban have the screen go black and have the phone use less power all together, the ultra mode makes the phone go to a dumb phone state - you have basic Nokia 3310 usability in B&W and it will last a week and a half.

I've heard from someone that iPhone got these two features quite recently too.
>>
used canon 7D
24mm 2.8 or the 40mm 2.8

7D's are out as fuck.
>>
>>786458
That feature makes my smartphone last not even 48 hours without ANY use.
>>
I had a canon "superzoom" point and shoot, not sure of the model. They had a great close up zoom and good long distance. My wife and I ended up taking it instead of her dslr because it was so easy to carry around and not worry about which lens to use. In the end it had a firmware glitch that caused it to think batteries were always dead, but worked well for a couple years. Bought a similar Nikon after, rarely use it because of smartphones.
>>
A simple rugged point and shoot from Olympus or Nikon would be fine if you just want to take random pics.

To be honest a DSLR or mirrorless camera is way above what most users need. They only end up using about 1/10th the functionality of them.

I personally use a Sony A5000 for pics, it's a mirrorless, so smaller than a DSLR, while still having the DSLR sized image sensor. I don't take it /out/ often because it isn't waterproof. I end up using my Galaxy S7 a lot (which is waterproof).
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.