[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dirtbike camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 736x552
Has anyone ever took their dirtbike out to go camping?

I'm restoring a 1990 Yamaha YZ250 and want to take it /out/

Any tips? As far as the bike should I be getting any certain modifications for a prolonged stay outdoors?
>>
>>783095

Pack light, think about a bigger fuel tank, know how to fix your machine in the field. advrider.com for more.
>>
File: Yamaha_logo.jpg (64 KB, 354x245) Image search: [Google]
Yamaha_logo.jpg
64 KB, 354x245
>>783095
I don't know much about the dirt bike part so hopefully Mule sees your thread and posts.

What advice I can give you is try out your gear before you ride, test ride with what you plan to bring (to get a feel for the change in handling) and do a short test camp close to home.

Also ATGATT
ride safe m8

> Yamaha's logo is three tuning forks
>>
>>783101
Solid advice, thanks.

This is my first real project, so I'm going to dismantle the entire bike and rebuild everything. Really excited. Hopefully at the end I'll know the in and outs of the entire things.

For a first trip, do you think I should bring my truck as a tag along or would just the bikes be acceptable?
>>
>>783103
Yeah, I guess I can never be too prepared, especially when taking out a vehicle like that. Thanks man.
>>
>>783095
I think you should ask at the backpack general. Also, maybe at /diy/ for ideas on carrying fuel. Also, get the fuck out of here because you are asking about transportation and not about an /out/ related topic
>>
>>783121
This is /out/ related cunt nugget. We've had these threads before.

Forgot to mention op, check out the daily bike thread(/dbt/) on /o/
It's a very fast moving thread, usually like 2 in the catalog past bump limit so look for the newest one.

If you haven't already, get a Haynes manual.
>>
>>783095
two stroke bikes use too much gas and are too finicky to take innawoods. I'd sell the thing and get a good 4 stroke with low hours. Bring some tire inflator tank, spare spark plugs, and be absolutely sure what kind of range you will have on the amount of gas you are taking. Wear proper gear and do not go alone. If I was camping on dirtbike innawoods I would also take a satellite phone, would be quite shitty to get a badly broken bone or worse and be out of reception.
>>
File: DSC06573-L.jpg (180 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC06573-L.jpg
180 KB, 800x600
>>783101
This entire post.

>>783103
>try out your gear before you ride, test ride with what you plan to bring (to get a feel for the change in handling) and do a short test camp close to home.
This too.

>>783106
Build your toolkit as you wrench on the bike.
Do a quick once-over and throw all the tools you need in a bucket... sockets, wrenches, allens, bits... spark plug tool, tire irons, axle nut wrench, socket extensions, spoke wrench... I keep one or two short (~18") pieces of paracord to use for pulling springs (really useful on the sled) and for stringing parts together (like springs, bushings, O-rings, clutch weights/shims, etc) so I don't drop/lose them.
Work out of that toolkit as you wrench on the bike. Need a 17mm wrench for something you didn't catch initially? Better to catch that in the garage than innawoods.
Kit's changed a little from >pic related, but that's mostly it.
Knowing how to use those tools and how parts/pieces go together is important too. I carry a copy of the parts fiche, owners manual, and service manual PDFs on my phone.

>>783106
>first trip, bring truck or just the bikes
When you get it all put together, do a couple break-in cycles before going too far. After a piston/cylinder, I do 2-3 heat cycles in the garage watching fluid levels, a couple quick trips around town (commute to/from work, go out to dinner, etc) before I venture off innawoods. I want the rings seated, and a high level of confidence that fluids are holding, bolts aren't backing out, transmission's smooth, clutch works, electrical/lights all function, dah dah dah, uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh.

Do some rides with various gear configurations around town too. I've worn some gear that was comfortable in the store, comfortable at home, but with a pack on it bunched up under my arms and rode up on my back.
Things like helmets, goggles/glasses, elbow/knee pads, boots, gloves... you want to find what works and what doesn't around town, not 500 miles from home.
>>
File: IMG_20160522_230228571_HDR-L.jpg (111 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_230228571_HDR-L.jpg
111 KB, 800x451
>>783163
Agree here too. The YZ's a close-ratio transmission for motocross, and you'll want the 5th/6th gears for cruising on the street.

With 2t's, you'll need to bring and mix oil when you fuel up. A thumper, just top it off at the pump and go.

CO2 inflators work to get you out of the woods, but since that's a small molecule it'll work through the rubber tubes. When you get to town, empty the tube and fill it with air at a gas station/service shop.

I ride alone fairly regularly, but yes, longer trips, you'll want to ride with someone else. Coordinate your equipment between the riders - split up some of the tools/gear.

Sat phones are expensive, but they do work. SPOT/InReach or a PLB are other good options. I carry a PLB.

Extra fuel ... Motos don't need much. Rotopax makes a nice system, I just use MSR fuel bottles. Extra coolant/oil, when I bring that, goes in 20oz gatorade bottles.

One OEM parts order put in last night, couple more that I need to finish, then start putting mine back together.
>>
File: talimena.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
talimena.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1440
>tfw I haven't even fired my bike up in almost a year

"life happened"... hopefully I'll be able to do some maintenance and get her back on the road again soon.
>>
>>783171
>CO2 inflators work to get you out of the woods, but since that's a small molecule it'll work through the rubber tubes. When you get to town, empty the tube and fill it with air at a gas station/service shop.

Interesting, never knew this.

>>783207
>life happened
Know those feels
God speed
>>
>>783207
If you're in Arkansas going out to either Petite Jean or to Mount Magazine and doing some light climbing out there is really great.
>>
Dirt bike, no. Mountain bike, yes. Copperhead bit my tire.
>>
>>784005
I'm in Northeast Texas, I like going to the Ozarks in Oklahoma / Arkansas just for a change of scenery and to see some actual mountains. I've never been to either of those places but I camped at Mount Nebo one time on a motorcycle trip, it was a nice place but too "developed" for my taste, I'll have to check out your suggestions. Cossatot Falls is another great place to go camping and hiking in Arkansas, I've been there a few times.
>>
https://davesviewpoint.com/
he is also has an instagram
https://www.instagram.com/davesviewpoint/?hl=en

Bikes are made tough these days.
The bloke is doing a massive trip through the desert right now in Australia.
>>
OP here.

Thanks everyone, I'll take all your advice to heart.
>>
File: DSC06464-L.jpg (157 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC06464-L.jpg
157 KB, 800x600
>be me, a few years back, after a top-end job
>couple heat-cycles in the garage, everything's good so far
>myself and two friends go for a 150-something mile day ride
>Haven't gotten a good breakin/shakedown yet, but whatever
>20mi of pavement, up/down on the throttle, get rings seated well enough
>check fluids at the trailhead, everything's good
>dirt.exe
>rally'n on the trails, great day
>lunch
>rally'n on the trails headed home
>back to pavement
>rip the backroads to the house
>home, friends pack up and take off
>i shower
>hungry.jpg, nothing in the fridge
>guess i'm going out for dinner tonight
>take the moto, sure, why not, it's running well
>2 miles from the house, trans pops into neutral
>kick down, kick down... keeps going down, down, down...
>might pop into gear, pops out and into neutral again not too long after
>shift up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up
>i shouldn't have this many gears
>pull into parking lot, nothing obvious/visible
>limp home, park in garage
>take the truck to dinner
>drain oil, clutch cover off later that night
>bolt that holds the shift star to the shift drum had backed out
>have to take clutch pack and hubs out to get to the bolt head
>rattle everything off, loctite'd that motherfucker in there, reassemble
>put another 5k miles on that bike with no issues

Loctite is your friend.
>>
>>784174
>loctite
Blue or red?
Had to replace the stator coil and yamaha uses red. Had to take it to a machine shop to remove the bolts. I'm wonering if blue will be enough for when I reassemble.
>>
File: IMG_20160501_170321763-L.jpg (120 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_170321763-L.jpg
120 KB, 800x451
>>784279
Blue is typically adequate. Most important thing is cleaning/degreasing bolt(s) and threads.
Bolts get dunked/shaken in a gatorade bottle of carb cleaner, threads get cleaned with carb spray and a q-tip.

Heat will release loctite - don't use it on exhaust parts otherwise the loctite turns into a lubricant. But you can use that property to your advantage on disassembly.

I use red on a couple fasteners - crank nut on the moto, clutch spider nut on the sled. Add some heat and a few hits from the air impact and it'll spin right off. (Spider nut on the sled needs an 8ft cheater bar on a 3/4" breaker and it still throws me across the room... spec is like 300ft-lbs or something retarded huge)

>pic related
>>
>>784365
>8ft cheater bar on a 3/4" breaker

Wew lad

I'd love to learn how to safety wire stuff. I'd also love to have a garage :/
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.