[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /out/ I'm going on a camping trip soon, and I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hey, /out/
I'm going on a camping trip soon, and I would like to try some bushcrafting. Do you guys have any cool ideas of things to make with a knife, hatchet, and supplies gathered from the forest?

>Also general bushcraft thread
>>
A basket A fire A Bushcraft is for faggots sign. For real I fucking hate that word. Calling it outdoor activity or something.
>>
>>782861
Sorry if I used the wrong word, but I'm just looking for cool things to make with simple tools in the woods. No need to be a dick about it.
>>
Unless you wanna commit and build a cabin in the woods using hand tools dick proenneke style, I wouldn't bother.

Just get drunk and make a big bonfire. Doing bushcraft on a camping trip is meaningless, bushcraft isn't a hobby - it's a necessity to wilderness survival, and it's not fun.
>>
>>782889
I don't mean anything big. I just mean like a spear, or a sling, or a fluttermill in the original pic.
>>
>>782858

Sorry about the cunts OP.

You'll want to start off small, doing whittling projects, I made the mistake of trying to take on too big of projects and ended up making them poorly.
I'd recommend carving out a fork, and if you can manage, a spoon. You can whittle both of these things with just a basic knife, even a little swiss army knife works, but if you've got the time I'd say order a Mora #106 or #120. These little knives are only $15, and will last you a good long time, as well as being one of the sharpest knives out of the box you'll ever buy.

Forks are pretty fun and an easy way to start working up your way in bushcrafting, I feel like whittling something that you'll actually keep and use sorta plants the seeds of getting further into bushcraft and building natural shelters, etc.

You can also try the one log challenge. Pretty much you process a log into tinder, kindling and fuel, enough to make a self-sustaining fire from one log. It's a fun little challenge! Good luck on your trip. Oh, one thing I would like to say, when you're starting out with whittling - be prepared for cuts. Lots for cuts.
>>
>>782933
Cool! Thanks a lot for the advice. I will make sure to pack a lot of bandaids.
>>
>>782940

Samefag from post above here with a protip for whittling: let the grain of the wood influence the shape of your utencil. Don't be afraid to fight it where you need to, but with a lot of wood the grain will guide you to a very natural feel. Once you get it to just about as good as you want, you can take it home with you and sand it down, then put a layer of food grade mineral oil (home depot / home improvement stores have this) to give it some extra protection.
>>
>>782941
Is there any particular type of wood I should look for? In my area there is pine, oak, magnolia, palms, and palmettos
>>
>>782858
Op bushcrafting involes cutting down lots of green living vegitation to construct a shitty fucking shelter you willuse for a few hours and abandon.

Have fun bushcrafting, you little buttfucker!
>>
>>782956
If you read the thread you would see that is not what I am talking about. I just want to make small things from dead wood I find on the ground.
>>
>>782945

Not really, I've used a lot of different wood. Dead wood will typically be a little easier to work with because it won't dry out on you.

That said, I've enjoyed my time working with Pine and Aspen. In my experience Maple, Oak, and Juniper have each proven to be difficult to work with just because they are so thick, particularly maple; but if you can make it work, it would make for a very sturdy tool. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a block of burl soon but can't decide on what species I want.
>>
>>782969
I will go with pine since it is so plentiful. Thanks for being the only helpful person in this thread.
>>
>>782972

No problem bud, I don't know why people have been such dicks. Seems like a lot of people on this board like to give a hard time with newcomers.

Have fun and be careful of skinwalkers ;)
>>
OP are you still around? Want me to post pics from a book I'm reading?
>>
>>783449
Hey. I just got back on. That would be awesome.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.