[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any /out/ brands that don't cause $200+ for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 354x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 354x236
Are there any /out/ brands that don't cause $200+ for a simple base layer?
>>
File: 1433365207748.jpg (33 KB, 780x440) Image search: [Google]
1433365207748.jpg
33 KB, 780x440
>>781230
>I want to have all the pleasures of the bourgeois while having the means of the poor

found the middle class
>>
>>781232
>he wants nice gear that isn't overpriced bullshit
>obviously lazy middle class!!!
This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard
>>
>>781230
base layers are cheap, so are mid layers, shell is the expensive part.
>>
>>781230
do you mean base layer or do you mean a jacket and pants?
because base layers don't really cost that much dude
>>
>>781250
Ive seen base layers for upwards of 70£, thats not cheap dude
>>
>>781250
Just general clothing, not just base layers.
>>
>>781252
Well, I have seen them for £7.
>>
>>781254
now i'm more confused. do you want base+mid layer and shell for under $200?
>>
>>781263
Just cheap clothing brands.
I don't care about the price of all of it combined, but it's frustrating to see a shell or mid layer go for like 4 hundred dollars.
>>
>>781265
where have you seen a midlayer for 400
>>
>>781285
Columbia
North Face
Fjallraven
>>
>>781230
under armour
>>
>>781232

If that were true then we would be buying fake luxury goods from China.

We have no interest in fancy shit, just functional.
>>
File: gorka10-700x700.jpg (45 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
gorka10-700x700.jpg
45 KB, 700x700
and then buy fleece form Quechua, or polastec surplus, or the 3in1 quechua jacket
>>
>>781480
polartec* surplus
>>
>>781230
Try ebay. I bought a used $200 Arcteryx fleece for $40.
>>
>>781482
That looks comfy as fuck
>>
you don't need to spend anything to /out/
cheap baselayer: $10 uniqlo airism tee $5 thrift store athletic tee $10 whatever polyester baselayer leggings, every box store has them, $10 whatever polyester long sleeve shirt from the box store $10 whatever thin synthetic shorts $1 cotton bandana
cheap insulation: $20 costco polartec fleece $10 whatever beanie $20 whatever thin gloves fit you the best, try them on somewhere like rei with a wide variety
cheap shell: $100 marmot precip (regularly on sale for $40 at stp/etc) $10 thrift store windbreaker $25 silnylon rain kilt
cheap runners: $50 last year's model of your favorite runners (i like saucony peregrines)

don't cheap out on socks, there is no replacement for darn tough. don't cheap out on boots, if you pay under about $200 they're trash. vasque st elias $200 and soloman quest 4d gtx $240 are the cheapest you'll find good boots. It is worth the money to splurge for a merino baselayer if you hike during the winter and you really get what you pay for in quality and durability. Other worthy splurges would be a better insulation layer (consider synthetics like the thermoball, revelcloud hoodie etc if you're on a budget or live somewhere wet. anything under $100 is going to have shit construction and is not worth it) a hardshell (sky's the limit, wait for them to go on sale) and good pants (prana brion/zion etc) and finally a better/lighter windbreaker (patagonia houdini)
>>
>>781482
please tell me where i can get this fleece, or any other cheap polartec with pit zips. i love my cheap ass polartec fleece to death but mine doesn't have the pit zips :(
>>
Merino is best but if you buy online, but beware of falsely advertised Merino, as it can cause an itch even though you may not be allergic to lanolin, as the micron scale of the fiber is over 25, and at that past the threshold of itch.
Merino is dynamic in its ability to hold a correct ammount of heat. The fibers open when its hot (and allow better moisture wicking) and close when it's cold, to allow better warmth retention.
The thinner the Merino, the faster it dries. If you wear it, it dries much faster as your body heat aids it (i am talking, you are in your tent for example, not boosting up a mountain sweating like cunt)
Merino is anti-bacterial, so you can take 2 pairs of socks, and 2 pairs of undies and rotate a clean at night + dry at day.

I work at kathmandu, and we have a synthetic that is similar to Merino, but not dynamic, and similar to polypro, but much better moisture wicking, and still anti bac whilst being next to skin (not compression). Its a little better for those who dont want to spend hundreds on Merino, and have access to cleaning facilities.
>>
You could try getting some ECWCS Gen III Level 1 and maybe 2 from surplus sites. I've seen them selling ostensibly new ones.

You could also get it from Tru-Spec, maybe.
>>
File: 1445665812811.jpg (56 KB, 926x960) Image search: [Google]
1445665812811.jpg
56 KB, 926x960
I'm a really tall 6"5' lanklet

Are there any outdoors clothing that offer tall sizes. The last thing I want is a shirt that hikes up to my mid back or pants that hike up to my knees because I bend the wrong way
>>
>>784056
Yes, all of them. Why wouldn't they?

>>781230
Try TKMaxx or stores like that. I've seen PeakPerformance, North Face, Columbia, Goldwin, Schoeffel, Helly Hansen and others at around that price range there for huge amounts reduced.
>>
>>781230
>not working at a place where you get pro deals on all the expensive shit and free gear occasionally
Son, you're doin it wrong.
>>
Columbia makes alright cheap stuff. Can't beat a $20 Columbia fleece for the price.

I've found Gander Mountain brand stuff isn't bad. They go on sale often, or are clearance.

Sam's club often has random stuff for cheap. Bought a waterproof lightweight jacket there with removable liner, for $18. Very nice jacket. Also got top and bottom merino wool poly blend base layers for $13 each. They're awesome.
>>
Can someone explain to me the need for all the expensive stuff? Why not just the following
>wool shirt
>jumper
>canvas, somewhat water resistant jacket
>waterproof poncho for when it really gets heavy

All of this is relatively cheap, bar maybe the wool shirt depending on how high quality you want it.
>>
>>781245
Ya... You dont need fancy synthetics for base or mid. Whats comfy against your skin? What holds temperature? Its the shell thats gotta regulate humidity and wind.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 727x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 727x322
>>781230
If you want to be a brandwhore, then just look for clearance shit and hopefully your size isn't popular and you don't care about matching.

Otherwise for cheap fleeces or knock off Under Armour type stuff, pic related is the way to go. You won't so be pissed when you slip on some rocks and rip the $25 Old Navy fleece.
>>
>>782162
https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=106
Kinda similar, $75 USD
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.