[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting a bushcraft based YouTube channel. What kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 216x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 216x144
I'm starting a bushcraft based YouTube channel. What kinda content do you want to see?
>>
>>781104
less gear talk and shilling more getting shit done out in the woods.
what i want to see is something between dave canterbury and primitive technology. minimal gear good explanations but mostly just show how it's done.
item crafting, making shelters and necessities for long term survival (like making salt, sugar, clay, smoke meat, dry fruits).
>>
>>781106
I intend to more outdoor stuff than gear stuff, I can't really afford to make gear videos again and again.
>>
>>781110
sadly manufacturers send them out for free testing if you have enough followers.
>>
>>781106
this, op
>>
>>781104
>What kinda content do you want to see?
None
The bushcraft meme needs to die

And don't spam /out/ for subs either you attention whore
>>
>>781120
I haven't mentioned names, I'm not whoring. You're on the wrong board if you don't like the "bushcraft meme".
>>
>>781120
amen brotha

on the other hand, if people are busy wasting their time with making videos for idiots too lazy to get up and leave the safety of the indoors, there will be more outdoors for the rest of us to enjoy without them
>>
>>781120
>The bushcraft meme needs to die.
t.city dweller that probably wouldn't survive a week on his own in wilderness.

If your ancestors can see you they are probably ashamed of you.
>>
>>781120
>>the bushcraft meme needs to die
Get the fuck off out and go back to /k/
>>
>>781104
When you edit your video ask yourself
>does this impart important information
if not delete.

People want short concise and interesting. Not some dickhead rambling.
>>
>>781106
this. and better no talking at all (like primitive technology)
>>
Show me how to not die of allergies

Seriously im about to kill myself
>>
>>781127
>>781129
>>781132
Millennials don't seem to realize that bushcrafting is a fad
It was popularized through TV starting in the mid 90s
It seems especially popular with Limeys, maybe due to the horrible state of their natural resources
Like all fads, it will fade away, and nature will be a little less trashed
>>
SKILLS NOT GEAR

navigation
knots
carving
traps
cordage making
plant use
animal use
primitive tech
fire lighting methods
mindset
trip reports

NOT FUCKING GEAR ENOUGH FUCKING GEAR
>>
Your first 6 videos you should settle the score on what the best knife to baton wood is
>>
>>781158
Pretty much this. Way too many gear reviews out there where the person in the video just yammers about shit we can already tell just by looking at a picture of the thing. I don't know much about youtube monetization, but I guess there's some reason they try to drag out their reviews for as long as possible. And gear reviews are always geared towards the complete newbie, which is annoying as hell for someone who has intermediate skill level or better. You end up watching them blather about stuff you already know and have heard other guys blather about a dozen times before.

Watching skill videos is different because everyone does the same task a little differently. You can watch ten videos about fire-starting and see ten slightly different methods, some of which might not have occurred to you before. You actually end up learning stuff as opposed to hearing someone try to fill out a five minute video about why they think commercial product A is better than nearly identical commercial product B.

In addition to this anon's list I'd like to see stuff about identifying useful plants, trees, stone, natural materials, etc, for a given region. So much useful stuff out there that I've just never had the chance to learn about. Also, it's really hard to find good videos of start-to-finish tanning.
>>
>>781173
That'll take at least a dozen videos and a few "torture tests".
>>
>>781104

Fuck off I wish you bad luck.

Go get a decent job.
>>
>>781104
Go ahead anon. Other than making good informative content have in mind the image quality and if possible various angles. You can post great content but if it's 360p nobody will look at it twice. godspeed friend.
>>
>>781127

No, faggot, YOU are on the wrong board if you like the bushcraft meme.

Outdoors is for going outdoors.

Bushcraft is in business and celebrity cancer.
>>
>>781203
>what are hobbies
>>
>>781104
i want you to have fun, always remember to have fun

also, for the love of all that´s holy make sure your mic has wind protection
>>
>>781135
it would take much effort to show why you do things a certain way than to explain.
you can show off without a word but education usually requires a few words. dave just talks too much and shows too little.
>>
Op you need to bring new things to the table, and you need to keep a grooming standard. Else you will just be like the other thousand hicks with cameras batoning knifes or building muh survival situation shelter
>>
>>781205
>Bushcraft is in business and celebrity cancer.
What business and what celebrities are you talking about? Survival Lilly? She's not exactly an expert in bushcraft.

>Outdoors is for going outdoors.
/out/ is for all related stuff. It's not like there's a better board for sharing opinions on "Alone", even though it's a bs reality tv show.
>>
As much as I hate the bushcraft meme I admit tha this is the board for it as this guy says >>781327
>>
>>781327
>It's not like there's a better board for sharing opinions on "Alone", even though it's a bs reality tv show.
There is a better board
>>>/tv/
>>
>>781372
>There is a better board
>/tv/
I'm not interested in opinions of people who know nothing about being out and I'm not interested in sharing my opinions with them. I believe I'm not alone here. If you don't like a thread, hide it.

If I want to start a thread "Where do you stand when it comes to politics?", there should be nothing wrong with that. You should be interested in politics and it should be interesting to find out where /out/ stand. It's when we start to argue over politics - that's when it's time to go back to /pol/.
>>
>>781406
>I'm not interested in opinions of people who know nothing about being out
This.
>>
>>781406
>I'm not interested in opinions of people who know nothing about being out
Those are the people posting in the reality show and youtube threads here
>>
File: macc.jpg (3 KB, 85x116) Image search: [Google]
macc.jpg
3 KB, 85x116
>>781423
top kek
>>
>>781104
Make a bag for 5 days, leave for 5 days. You could also make it intresting and make a 5 day pack and leave for 7 and live off the land.
>>
>>781104
Reviews are ok as long as it's not about the same thing that other 10 videos are already covering. Bonus points for budget items.
>>
>>781104
What's your channel's name OP
>>
File: IMG_9652.jpg (371 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9652.jpg
371 KB, 1152x768
>>781104
i would watch a shooting the shit/outdoor stories channel, spliced with footage you took when out. Like a campfire chat or something.

Like others here, I don't really care about gear unless it's something you made yourself or a really creative and unusual use of something. Like how alfieaesthetics grinds grain with his canteen, or how you make hooch in the forest with a pressure canner, or using a smart phone app to geotag your guerrilla cannabis farms.

Good audio quality is everything, and doesn't have to cost that much either. Look up "zoom h2" that's the mic I use, it's portable high quality sound recording and takes AA batteries.

Also I'm always interested in plant/tree identification but it varies a lot on region.
>>
I could seriously get into a knife review channel
>>
>>781104
you body slammming a wolf
>>
>>781570
find a lame wolf first
otherwise it will be hard to get within a 100 feet
>>
>>781203
I have one.
>>
>>781104

i would like to see you recreate Christopher McCandless starving to death in the woods. Make sure to live stream it. In fact, forget the woods. You could do it in your apartment.
>>
>>781145
Are you the one that made that thread
>>
>>781799
Yes
>>
>>781800
I had horrible allergies, so last year I started getting allergy shots. Life has improved significantly, I'd check it out if it's that bad.
>>
>>781104
Do a "naked innawoods show" and survive x amount of days with your junk out.
>>
I like the Joe Robinet videos, maybe because he just récord their camping and talks about a lot of stuff. I find the "how to" or the gear review videos very boring.
>>
>>781619
I need video how-to , your instruction was unclear my penis was stuck in the wolf
>>
File: 145015955522.jpg (137 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
145015955522.jpg
137 KB, 1000x667
>>783937
that's called 'knotting', and it means you're doing it right.
>>
>>781104
a student knows all the revelations he has come across and has no problem thinking they would be revelations to other students. if you have no such revelations to share, you likely arent at the teaching stage. if so, it would be better to capture your musings as you have them, rather than adopt the prose of a tenured teacher
>>
Teach me how to cook innawoods.
>>
>>781271
thing is he still knows more than you likely ever will, so instead of feeding circle-jerk controversy, give respect where respect is due. he credits his teachers, as everyone should
>>
>>781516
He can't tell us without risk of getting b&.
>>
>>783988
Damn not that guy but you seem upset
>>
Multi day survival trips really, including guides on what gear is needed to do it yourself.
>>
>>781104
Focus on an academic understanding of the flora and fauna. Like alfoeaesthetics but without the juvenile humor
>>
Good seamless cuts.
Multiple angles.
Seriously snappy dialogue, get to the point, see MCQBushcraft for how to do this. For the love of god don't ramble.
Show us what you actually do.
I'd like to see a few long walk/camp videos, everything that goes into wild hiking/staying in one place for a week+.
>>
>>784175
idk it seemed like a pretty sterile statement. i didnt know things like the bk2 and dave canterbury had so much controversy until i saw it here. i assume it comes from the people that watched dual survivor, which i never did. obviously people that watch network television inherently dont have better things to do than squabble. he puts a lot of youtube commentary on his profession and does it in a respectable manner
>>
>>781104
Long term wilderness survival. Paleolithic skill recognition and integration. Medieval skill integration. "Make your own tools." That kind of stuff. Things most people can't or won't do.
>>
>>783988
dude, he definitely talks too much and shows too little.

but my argument was in fact you need some talking if you bothered to read it you little cunt.

no talk only show is better for showing off getting people hyped up and for found raiser not as good for education.

talking too much is just boring and inefficient way to convey knowledge and skills.
>>
>>784184
The original comment seemed pretty tame just a "I think the guy talks to much" second anon seemed upset about him unless there is some drama I am unaware of.
>>
>>784182
I dont like mcqbushcraft, i find kind of boring that he do things, and then talks to the camera. I like People that talks to the camera while doing things
>>
Take a hint from the "Primative Technology" channel guy. Talk as little as possible, visually show the viewer what you are doing. And dont do fucking tabletop gear reviews. No intro bits/animations either, just start the video with you saying hello. Buy a good mic and get a decen tripod for your camera.

I think if you do that, go out and have fun and try and do some fun stuff and youll be doing well. Dont give in to viewers asking you to do stuff or review things if you dont want to. Do your own thing.
>>
>>781104
thumbnails
>>
>>781104
people dying/getting attacked by animals
>>
>>781158
This 1000 times over. As someone new to bushcraft I find videos explaining skills infinitely more worthwhile than bland gear reviews.
>>
one thing i dont see enough of is actual bush engineering, not just bushcraft. flip flop winch, making basic machines to transform energy such as deadfalls and triggers. there is a channel called caveman cody that highlighted this want that i never knew i had. he built a rig out of a log and his mora to turn a 2 liter into 30 feet of plastic cord. this is nothing new, making cord out of a 2 liter, but the rig is quite engenious
>>
>>786496
as well as having videos on cranes and winches out of rope and bush that allow heavy lifting.

like im starting to think that mule tape is infinitely better than paracord, because of its excessive weight limit, making it cover a whole spectrum of possibilities that paracord cant. mule tape and a bush rig could possibly pull cars or people out of compromising positions
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.