[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you guys hate a man who's only flaw was "stupidity"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 970x922) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 970x922
How can you guys hate a man who's only flaw was "stupidity"?
He's done what we have all thought about doing. We've all had these thoughts of leaving society behind and being completely sick of everything.
How can you hate someone, just because he couldn't survive? We're not judging someone on their survival prowess, see him as a human being for god sake.
He did what he thought was right, and I think most of us are a lot like McCandless, maybe not in his naivety but his dreams.
>>
>>779287
I had no idea who this guys was, agoogeld him and yeah, seems you're pretty much right OP
He was an idiot for not doing some proper training and research before doing what he did
An idiot but I respect his doomed plan
>>
>>779287
>We're not judging someone on their survival prowess
oh sweet summer child
>>
>>779291
Being /out/ isn't a competition.
>>
File: Deal_With_It.jpg (47 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
Deal_With_It.jpg
47 KB, 500x504
I think we don't like him because he just fantasized about being an /out/doorsman. He wasn't one though. Any real /out/doorsman knows that preparation is essential, and he didn't prepare. He was warned by several people not to try and survive where he did. He didn't have proper clothes, proper training, proper anything at all.

/Out/ doesn't like him because he was a punk kid with mental illness trying to be Dick Proenneke. He died because of it.
>>
>>779287
>only flaw
>stupidity

That is the only flaw that truly matters because it can get everyone killed.

>How can you hate someone, just because he couldn't survive?

I hate the 2 fuckers that wrote the book and made the movie who hold him up as some sort of role model. It is absurdly fucking disrespectful to everyone else.

>He did what he thought was right, and I think most of us are a lot like McCandless, maybe not in his naivety but his dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16hxCB1Dvd4

He got stuck in one place in his "dream" and died.

>>779293
I can't imagine being this far from nature that you would make such a statement.
>>
>>779287
Yes we have and had. Most /out/ists are die hard realists though. I would never try something like this.
>One wrong step
>Ankle broken
>In the middle of nowhere
>Death

He was a hippy with a wet narcissistic fantasy.
He was just as ambitious and bigoted as his parents, while thinking that he wasn't.
He learned his lesson the hard way.
>>
I don't know about the rest of /out/, but I admire this guy.
Yeah he made mistakes but he followed something he wanted. And its not like he wanted to die, he did try to go back but it was too late. He didn't have the right skills and he starved to death.
>>
>>779320
>he followed something he wanted

I certainly don't admire people for doing that when they are completely fucking stupid about it. I admire people who follow their dreams and are successful at it. Those are the people who deserve my respect.
>>
>>779287
It's only american kids and hipsters that worship him, the rest of the people couldn't care less about him
>>
>>779295
he didn't think it through
never prepared gradually
first he should have spent a month out there while keeping his money on an account
build a good home
then spend a light season like spring or summer
then spend a winter
if you can spend a winter and have energy to start a new year you are qualified to keep minimal contact with the outside world. like supply runs once a year.

also hunting big game alone when the bugs are out and the food can rot is just foolish waste of everything.
>>
>>779496
But thats not a philosophical journey

Someone should have told the little buttercup that you enjoy what you want to enjoy and dislike what you want to dislike and it's your choice whether you're happy or not and that's got a lot to do with your choice to see the word as sufficient or not

The little fag
>>
I don't like rich people. I don't like the way they act or talk or even breathe.
>>
/out/ doesnt go /out/, we hate anyone who actually does because it reminds us we aint shit. Die in alaska? Lolno, pop open another cheetos bag and hit f5 all day. Maybe if i get real ballsy ill tackle the paved hiking trail behind my house, but ill be sure to post here first asking what food i should bring. The best part though is how you fags keep making threads about him when we have people on this board doing what he did but right, and even they get shit on because /out/ needs a job more than they need the forest.
>>
>>780342
>/out/ doesnt go /out/
>/out/ needs a job

Don't project your ineptness onto others please.
>>
>>780359
What the fuck did i tell you OP? Look, look at this shit. Call them out and instant ass rage.

Ok anon, you been /out/? How long? How many months a year do you spend inna? Can you prove it without giving yourself away as another pussy backyard bitch? If you go /out/, you KNOW that most of the folks on this board do not. Its not even close to a question.
>>
>>780339
>salty
>>
>>780363
>liking rich people
Oh.. Oh wait.. Are you one? Oh im so sorry i offended your sensibilites little yup pup. Everyone should be like your parents.
>>
>>780360
>Call them out and instant ass rage.

Oh the irony. kek
>>
>>780370
>guaranteed replies
Cant help yourself, dont blame you.
>>
>>780360
I can't help it that you've done nothing with your life and are angry. I can't help it that you latched onto the life story of a pathetic loser who died being pathetic. I can't help that the only place you can vent about it is your online blog that is this thread.
>>
File: DSCN3907.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3907.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
>>780360
Are you even /out/ at all, bro?
>>
>>780387
Oh, whats that? Shit tier assumptions and redirection? Its okay anon, i already know you dont go /out/. Revert to hugbox threads if you wanna play pretend.
>>
File: IMAG2220.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2220.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
>>780388
Fuck no!
>>
File: Alexander Superspeeder.jpg (27 KB, 293x240) Image search: [Google]
Alexander Superspeeder.jpg
27 KB, 293x240
>>779287
>How can you guys hate a man who's only flaw was "stupidity"?

Let's pretend his passion was Nascar driving...

Christopher McCandless sets off, from California in an old car he rebuilt himself (he replaced the fenders and painted it), on a trip to the Daytona 500. He only gets across the state line when he runs out of fuel because he forgot to fill it up. Instead of simply walking to the nearest gas station or flagging down help he decides to push his car over an embankment and set it on fire. He then proceeds to walk on foot to the nearest car lot (which happens to be in Mexico for some reason, mostly because he burned up his map in the car and he's been taking back roads.) He finds an old bicycle in a garbage dump and uses that.

He finally gets to the car lot and buys a fixer-upper for $50. Before leaving the car lot he has to change a tire, which he replaces with the solid rubber donut. He buys fuel and heads off to the Daytona 500 again. Only he's heading deeper into Mexico and eventually ends up broken down in front of, "Autodromo Internacional de la Jolla" due to no water in the radiator. The engine block has seized up. Luckily, there's a race about to start. Christopher...er "Alexander Superspeeder", who changed his name, pays the $125 entry fee for the race.

Unfortunately, Alexander Superspeeder doesn't have a race car. He does however have an old bicycle still. He uses the bicycle to race. He makes it only 3 laps before he is too tired to steer straight and veers off into a race car and is killed.

Some Jew picks up his story and writes a book about his life and how he followed his dreams. Another Jew makes a movie about it. Armchair racers around the world adore him.

The End.
>>
It's like somone trying to sail across the Atlantic in a dinghy because they like the beach and had a few philosophical freshman-dorm-room type ideas/ideals.
>>
>>779287
I dont hate him as a person or an individual. he did in fact have some great adventures in his young life.
I just dont care for the way some have created this persona of him to be somehow celebrated or admired.
it was a sad story. but he did it to himself.
I dont hate him. some things are actually admirable, his sense of adventure and his boldness to go out and do the things he did.
but obviously he had some mental/psychological issues and a good dose of foolishness.
Or maybe he wanted to leave this world. i think he kind of pushed himself into it he must have had some idea ealier on that he was going to die out there
>>
>>780425
10/10
>>
>>780425
There are too few quality posts like this.
>>
>>780369
Sorry you had failures of a father and mother who never loved their child. Fuck off.
>>
>>780539
Fuck man you got something you need to get off your chest? Daddy loved ya a little too much eh?
>>
>>780553
You have some serious parental issues man. Go talk to a therapist about it.
>>
>>780555
Hey buddy its ok i see youre projecting. Life gets better one day, dont worry, youll eventually be happy enough to not try and argue with shitbags on 4chan about whos dad raped who.
>>
File: 1463787148366.jpg (35 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
1463787148366.jpg
35 KB, 267x274
>>780397
>no trees to piss on
>google's reverse image search best guess is "tree"
>>
>>779287
his flaw wasn't stupidity, his flaw was arrogance

and I don't hate him
>>
>>780425
I'd watch that movie
>>
>>779293
its a competition against nature yea, it is
>>
>>779298
This ^ Although I personally didn't find the book to be all that bad. I think it did a decent job of showing how stupid he was. Could be wrong though, its been ages since I last read it though.
>>
>>779287
What did James Dean do this time?
>>
>>780537
That is what happens as more people come online. There's a massive drop in post quality.
>>
>>779287
it's the way he did it. the arrogance. we all go out and take moderate steps forward to develop the skills and experience to be competent at what we are doing. mccandless just went out like an asshole thinking he was the shit and frankly not even really respecting the areas he was in by the way he acted. He really represents the worst of humanity that way. No respect for anything really. It was all about himself.
>>
Bunch of faggots on this board. "I have my PhD in Chris McCandless and let me tell you boy he was stupid and arrogant." Read all your posts and tell me who's arrogant, some poor bastard that bit off more than he could chew or a bunch of keyboard warrior sperglords whose ideas of /out/ shit are cutting ounces and fucking trail running.
>>
>>782017
>tell me who's arrogant
>some poor bastard that bit off more than he could chew
>bunch of keyboard warrior sperglords whose ideas of /out/ shit are cutting ounces and fucking trail running.

>ar·ro·gant
>ˈerəɡənt/
>adjective: arrogant
>having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Chris McCandless is arrogant. I don't see many people here saying they'd do anything beyond simply preparing properly for such a journey, kid.
>>
>>780388
>covering your camera
>>
File: 94445374.jpg (185 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
94445374.jpg
185 KB, 400x400
>>780397
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BDxqhI9qDw
>>
>>782236
>exaggerated importance
>we are all better than some dude we read a book about
Yeah, nah
>>
>>782288
Good movie.
>>
>>782302
"Better" is really defined by success in life, especially having children and how long you live. Supertramp is died childless.
>>
>>782669
You are fucking autistic kys
>>
>>782698
>putting family, children and long life ahead of dying of starvation = autistic
>>
>>780425
lol, too true.
>>
File: Superspeeder.png (58 KB, 1214x392) Image search: [Google]
Superspeeder.png
58 KB, 1214x392
>>780425
Oh shit, this really puts things into perspective. Fucking saved.
>>
>>782669
Youre dumb as shit if thats your version of success. Theres one goal in life, be happy. Your job, wife, kids etc dont matter one fucking bit if youre sitting there miserable every day. Btw if you let your kids go to public school youre ruining them and probably patting yourself on the back for doing so.
>>
File: Untitled.png (39 KB, 951x456) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
39 KB, 951x456
>>784330
>child logic

Your happiness doesn't matter at all, kid.
>>
>>784358
>american dream
>>
>>784360
That is exactly what it is. Happiness is a product consumerists think they need to buy. So, we end up with people like you sitting on their ass all day as a full NEET will into their 20s/30s, with no children, playing video games, watching movies, eating pleasure foods, and masturbating. Or, going out, still childless, traveling the world and starving too death in Alaska all because their comfort zone was infringed upon.

Following dreams and the pursuit of happiness are childish toys. Grow up.
>>
>>784376
Wew lad you dont know a fuckin thing about me or what i do. Compensating much?
>>
>>784516
>complete dodge of everything stated.

Hit too close to home, kid?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.