[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a new camping knife but dont know where to start or know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
I need a new camping knife but dont know where to start or know as to what's good, what' bad, ect. I just want something that's simple, durable, and under $150. Can /out/ give a hand?
>>
What do you generally do with a 'camping knife'?

If batoning wood or summat, something thick and stout would be a good choice. If slicing food and carving / light cutting....something thin.

Its a lotta good knives inside $150 US.
>>
>>779031
I'm mostly looking for something that can process kindling for fires, and baton well.
>>
>>779019
Get a swiss army knife/mora/opinel n.9 + hatchet + folding saw and you are set for 99% scenarios. If you need anything else you wouldn't be asking or you are heading right into memeland.
>>
>>779051
carrying and hatchet and or saw is unrealistic for many to most. there are considerations further than youve contemplated it seems
>>
>>779046
Get one of those Kabar kukris for under $100, they should run like $85 or some shit. That or a bk9. Though both will be less than necessary when compared to a small folding hatchet.
>>
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 1920x930) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 1920x930
>>779019
Three of pic related

One for batoning memes, the second for carving wooden spoons, and the third for shaving your neckbeard.
>>
>>779063
english rip in piece

>>779067
paying a hundred on a machete, u srs?
>>
>>779086
No, because it's a kukri, and not a hundred dollars. Also, a small <$40 hatchet will outperform almost any knife.
>>
File: Glock Knife.jpg (669 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Glock Knife.jpg
669 KB, 2592x1944
>>779019
Glock knife
>$40 usd

Mora
>$20USD
>>
>>779095
Yes, but as a Glock it automatically doubles as both a throwing knife and a grenade.
>>
>>779093
How drunk are you. I suggested a hatchet in the first place. Are you one of those mememasters I've being hearing about?
>>
>>779046
that's what's known as a "hatchet"
>>
>batoning

Don't be a faggot

You cut wood with an axe
you cut flesh with a knife
>>
>>779139
>Not batoning flesh with a hatchet
>Not cutting wood with a knife
Do you even survive?
>>
File: 004.png-original.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
004.png-original.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>779019 TOPS B.O.B.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
>>779141
Aside from my Gerber™ Bear Grylls™ Survival Knife™, pic related is the only thing I bring with me while innawoods. Anything more is just a luxury.

I am the master of nature and no longer at her mercy.
>>
>>779139
I don't think I understand the point of batoning, like, are there not enough fucking branches you can burn where you need to baton torso-thick fucking wood?
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 312x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 312x450
>>779149
You obviously aren't building your fires large enough.
>>
>>779019
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Bushcraft-5-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B002CC6BSO?ie=UTF8&keywords=condor%20bushcraft&qid=1464508491&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

condor bushcraft

i own one its scandi so easy to sharpen for beginners and great for handling wood,thick blade for batoning which i suggest against heartily,and grip is wood without a hilt but i've never had my hand slip using it so you should be okay.
>>
>>779149
so you expect people to not use their "survival" skills to test knives by intentionally using them in ways they were not intended, for purposes that are not actually about surviving!?

are we supposed to actually carry the right tool for the task!? gawf! drown me in the mainstream already!
>>
>>779051

Indeed. Although I'd say you could even do without the hatchet. I've never had to split logs for campfires. Perhaps where I go there's just plenty of medium sized deadfall.
>>
>>779182

subtle keks
>>
>>779095
bought my more for $10 wtf dude
i agree the glock is damn near indestructible
i just don't like the feel of the handle nor the sheath lock.
>>
>>779019
It is a very broad and poorly defined term since I've seen camp knives go up to 11 inches and down to 3. Ultimately, it depends on what and how hard you're going to use your knives. ESEE 6 (or a 5 if you're a special kind of stupid) would fit the bill and some LT Wright and Battle Horse Knives will fit that.

>>779063
>carrying and hatchet and or saw is unrealistic for many
Bahco Laplanders. One of the best folding saws out there and can fit in a pocket. Things are so cheap theres no reason not to have one.
>>
>>779019
esee 4, gek edc, tops bob, mora, rsk bushcraft 2, cs master hunter, fallkniven f1, gerber lmf,

or just get the infamous bk2 brick-knife
>>
>>779019
Buy and restore an old hatchet and then buy a Mora. That'll get you started innawoods and give you a new hobby at the same time.
>>
>>781071

Yes, do this. You'll end up with new skills plus quality tools and the feeling of satisfaction that you didn't just push a button on amazon
>>
>>779019
>dont know where to start or know as to what's good, what' bad
get a mora companion for starters.
once you actually used that think about what it is lacking.
when you realize you never use it aside from maybe making spits and cut some bacon you will be happy with your purchase.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.