[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BBQ Smoker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: piggy_roasted.jpg (48 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
piggy_roasted.jpg
48 KB, 400x284
I posted this on /ck/ a few days ago but I really didn't get any help.

I'm looking for a wood bricket fueled smoker in the $200-$300 range that is heat consistent. (Will spend more if it's worth it)
Want to smoke preserve meats and bbq.

What brands are good and what features should I look for?

Thanks
>>
Damn, no one? I waited 3 hours. I know /out/ is slow but damn.
>>
All the rednecks I know make their own out of propane tanks. Take the valve off, fill with water, cut with grinder, weld a few bean cans on for a chimney and some barn hinges for the door. even seen ones with a bracket and a flue to go on the side of an existing oilcan bbq. Bunch of the better ones get sold on fleabay. They know their shit when it comes to bbq and smokehouse stuff. Multi generational tastyness.
>>
Get some big ass terracota pots - one for the top, and one for the bottom. Put like a hot plate burner in the bottom with wood chips over it. Put a grate in between the two pots, and over with the other pot.

You'll need a hole witha valve at the top.

You can use a Dremmel for cutting these things but expect to wear out some tips. Also, the pots are very brittle
>>
>>779002
For that money you can get someone to build you a custom one. I suggest you ask the guys at /diy/
>>
>>779002

Look into Alton Brown's terra cotta smoker. You could make an amazing smoker at home with that $200. Better than any $300 commercial smoker. Serious. I have done pulled pork, spare ribs, smoked salmon, smoked beef ribs...it holds heat very consistently in the 200-225 range, more or less can be attained with a water pan, foil, adjustable heat element. The key is finding quality chunk hardwood and devising a system for cleaning the ashes out every few hours. Trust me....DIY!
>>
>>779452
You lie, pics or it didn't happen.
> post pic
>>
>>779452
electric hot plate is super inefficient. That probably costs $1000's/yr to use.
>>
>>779200

A propane tank smoker is a serious project. You're talking cutting steel, welding, fabricating hinges...
>>
File: XoB_Pmr51jk.market_maxres.jpg (78 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
XoB_Pmr51jk.market_maxres.jpg
78 KB, 1000x562
>>779452
Yeah, I've been watching his stuff.

I was thinking about /diy/
I haven't been there in awhile.
To be honest I'd rather but something decent now and learn what I like and don't like and then put the time in to build my own.
>>
>>779638
> justifying paying more to be lazy
>>
>>779002
I use a digital Bradley. It uses wood pucks, not briquettes, but you can get them from various sources so you aren't locked into Bradley brand.

Love the thing. It is mostly stainless, separate control of heat and smoke, timers on both, etc. My only complaint is the heating element is weak, but there is a ton of info out there on modding it with a second for cheap.
>>
>>779643
Some of us, our time is worth >$0.
>>
>>779668
> that's why I'm posting on 4chan

Riiiight.
>>
>>779643
Recovering from back surgery. I'll need help cooking as it is. Just need something to get me outside this summer.
>>
>>779664
So an electric heating element is used to burn the wood? Does the wood actually catch fire or just smolder and release the smoke?
>>
Buy a Pro Q. It's like, $400 AUD, holds heat very consistently and without a lot of fucking around. Easy to add fuel to as you go, really sensible design. And you can remove/add chambers to fit your needs. Doubles as a solid grill if you fuck off the smoking chambers. Used it for a couple of competitions and a buncha home smoking.
>>
>>782114
Thanks m8, thought my thread was dead.
How did you do with your competitions?
>>
>>779117
>invades board demanding help
>complains that no one is helping him fast enough
>>
>>782567
I didn't invade this board. No need to be salty about it. I was a little impatient, sorry.
>>
File: IMG_20160424_153947.jpg (5 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_153947.jpg
5 MB, 3120x4160
>>782443
We took gold in lamb at one. The other we didn't place in meats, but got an award for best professional entry (as in, restaurant/catering category for people who don't usually smoke in this way, it's completely different from how we bbq in the restaurant). Felt like kind of a supplementary lame award, but hey, I'm not complaining.
>>
>>782939
Two questions
1) what's the bbq like in Australia, ie what's the "scene" like?
2) How do you cook in your restaurant?
>>
How i get into learning to smoke meat without going to SF?
>>
>>783079
SF?

I found a channel on /ck/ that is pretty good. Guy's name is Aaron Franklin and did a few videos with PBS. He's on some bbq competition show as a judge too.
>>
>>779456
>$1000 a year
Yeah no.
Especially not if it's in a DIY smoker that you'll use 10x a year at most.

Use the TCP smoker much more than that and you're better off buying one at retail.
But not because of the cost of running the electric element, rather the convenience factor. Purpose built smokers are easier to clean and move food into and out of.
>>
File: of.png (614 KB, 597x396) Image search: [Google]
of.png
614 KB, 597x396
>>783073
I'm in Western Australia, so it's pretty small here. It's a little bigger over East, but even then it's nothing like the US. We're one of a couple of restaurants who have sprouted up over the past 2-3 years. I'd like to say we do it best, but it's a hard call to make.

Because of our space, and how hard it can be to get proper smoking setups licensed here, we only have 1 big indoor smoker. Electric, running off a mixture of coals, beech wood chips and hickory chunks. It might not be classic, but it's really good for maintaining a steady, precise temperature over a long period of time. It also means that we can control humidity in the chamber really well. We run a menu of 9 essentials meats, and then throw in specials here and there, like beef cheek or lamb shoulder when we can.

Here's some of our food.
>>
>>779002
>Want to smoke preserve meats
In order to do this you will need either an offset smoker or a cold smoke shack. If you want BBQ and want to be lazy then either buy one fully made or do a UDS build. Personally, when I moved across the country I had to get rid of my offset and due to space constraints I was limited to a UDS.

I have been using a Pit Barrel Cooker for the past three months and so far it has worked out very well for me.
>>
>>783397
Noice

>>783580
Thanks m8
>>
>>783099
Show is called BBQ with franklin you can watch it for free http://video.klru.tv/show/bbq-franklin/
>>
>>784756
Thanks anon, this is awesome. I thought the only videos were what was on YouTube.
>>
>>784770
No problem. I would also recommend Steven Raichlen although he doesn't exclusively focus on smoking like Franklin does. I could only find his newest show for free I'm sure you can find the others on youtube or as torrents.

http://www.mpt.org/stationrelations/project-smoke/
>>
>>784890
Much appreciated. Just getting ready to binge on the Franklin vids. It will make a good pain distraction.
>>
>>779452
Seconding DIY solutions, smokers are pretty easy to make.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.