[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most effective insect repellent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15
File: Kinds-of-Insect-Repellent.jpg (117 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
Kinds-of-Insect-Repellent.jpg
117 KB, 500x369
What is the most effective insect repellent?
>>
DEET
>>
>>778207
Picaridin is maybe more effective than DEET as well
>>
>>778201
Your mothers vaginal juices applied as war paint
>>
>>778201
A physical barrier between you and the insect
>>
Garlic
>>
I was going to say garlic or take a slow burning fungi and light it on fire and make it a smoking amber. I do this quite often and I even hike with it normally spinning it on a rope. Lasts hours and does great but if I dont have that I just deal with it. Insects are the least of my worries.
>>
File: BEN125SPR.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
BEN125SPR.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
>>778201
This shit right here
>>
>>778201
DDT on all exposed skin.
>>
>>778210
ZING! You gottem this time buddy!
>>
>>778315
100% effective
>>
>>778201
Deet is most effective, but can be hazardous and ruins some plastics.
Picaridin is almost as good, but safer and not as toxic.
>>
My dog's flea and tick preventative is permethrin. Bugs don't go near her. So that I guess.
>>
Where I work they give us this stuff:
http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/view.php?cn=3815
I had always relied on the bens 100, but the wipes are super convenient, and easy to pact.

Permeterin is sprayed on clothes, not directly on skin. You can treat your own out have them sent out. The diy will last a couple washes the professional treated will last more. I've seen fishing clothes pretreated.

I believe DEET make it so the bugs don't see you, and permithrin kills bugs.

Anyone use a mosquito magnet Aaron's a camp site?
>>
>>778201

An AK-47. If you don't have that you're a eurocuck faggot shit-tier cocksucking motherfucker who doesn't eat mcdonald's for every meal
>>
Jungle Oil.

Works like magic.
>>
>>779267

You mean this stuff?
>>
File: soul glo.jpg (102 KB, 640x658) Image search: [Google]
soul glo.jpg
102 KB, 640x658
>>779284
>>
Native coconut fat.
>>
I typically smear feces over my exposed skin in a thick layer.
>>
>>778282
I've used this. It's decent.
>>
In 2006 I went through bootcamp at Parris Island and we were issued a can of bug juice and a small bottle of formula that was composed of 99% DEET. The bug juice was defenceless agaignst sand fleas. Ive never seen DEET in that high of concentration in stores. DEET all the way
>>
>>780191
SC Marinefag here.
Sandfleas are cunts.
>>
File: repel_100.jpg (54 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
repel_100.jpg
54 KB, 700x700
This.

Posting from the land of dengue, chikungunya and Zika.
>>
>>780191
See >>780405

98.11% DEET
>>
any experiences with permethrin? thinking about trying this... got fucking eaten by deer flies in the muskokas over the long weekend
>>
File: AHHNOLD.jpg (75 KB, 576x383) Image search: [Google]
AHHNOLD.jpg
75 KB, 576x383
Seriously, why isn't this discussed more often?

In the woodland areas of Illinois, I can't even go there anymore. I used to love hiking, but the mosquitoes are just too fucking horrible and this shit generic brands don't do dick
>>
>>780823
I treat my tent and pants with it if I am going to be in tick country. You don't really want to douse your skin with it, and DEET does just as well against mosquitos.
>>
Consumer reports insect repellent ratings: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health/beauty-personal-care/insect-repellent/insect-repellent-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
(It was consider a public health announcement so no subscription needed to see the ratings) Make your own judgment there.

I use permethrin on my clothes and some gear. Ever since I started using it on my socks I have not gotten any mosquito bites on my ankles (They really like my ankles)
>>
>>780405
Gotta love Puerto Rico
>>
a cigar
>>
>>778201

Deepwoods Off Sportsman (98%+ Deet). But it burns and sucks if you start sweating. I've had that in the East Texas piny woods with swarms of damn mosquitoes and it keeps them away for hours.

I often carry two types - some double-digit percentage of deet and "Clean" repellent with a low percentage of Picaridin. Which one I use depends on the density of bugs.
>>
Bleach works pretty well for me.
>>
>>778415
Except to pets.
>>
>>783069
This. I swallow a quart of bleach the day beforehand, so when I'm hiking the bleach is mixed with my perspiration. Works like a dream.
>>
I'm allergic to DEET, so I use the Coleman deet free skin safe. Works like a charm.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
Gives you moist, fresh and healthy skin while repelling insects, moisturiser and insect-repellent in one bottle!
>>
DEET is good. A while ago I bought a bottle of some herbal bug spray from etsy. When I was in Maine it seemed to keep mosquitoes away as well as normal bugspray. Plus it wasn't sticky and it smelled kind of nice. I used it up though and the label peeled off so I'm not sure who made it
>>
>>778201
I like 3M Ultrathon. 34% DEET, and it is a sort of cream that goes on nicely. There is also supposed to be a version of it that has SPF50 protection, but haven't found it around here.

If it is really bad, I switch to Sawyer Jungle Juice. 98% DEET, it burns my skin and eats some kinds of plastic, but even when I'm going through swampy areas nothing touches me.
>>
>>778960
DEET actually is just a repellent, so the smell keeps them away. Mosquitoes and the like will know you're there, but they hate the smell of DEET. If you don't want mosquitoes to see you, just stop breathing, because they're attracted to CO2.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 318x318
http://www.bugshirt.com/products/

You look like a dork, but whenever I have to work in the field and there are shit tons of black flies or mosquitos, this is the only way I don't end up consumed.
>>
File: 282805_888_41.jpg (34 KB, 428x494) Image search: [Google]
282805_888_41.jpg
34 KB, 428x494
>>783814
I got the L.L.Bean Bug Jacket and it's the best. I don't use it for every outing or even camping (usually - it depends) but there are some /out/ activities I do that involve laying low and being still for long periods of time without a fire, and maaan o' man this thing's a lifesaver

Also comes with mitts if you're mitt-inclined :3
>>
>>778315
>>778410
No, but seriously... were I to get my hands on DDT, how effective would it be at keeping my site clear of biting insects?
>>
Keep your skin-applied chemicals. They simply do not work where I live.

>>783814
>>783820
This.
>>
>>783860
It works very well. It is also quite toxic in most forms, a probable carcinogen, and linked to birth defects (even years after exposure). It is also banned in all developed nations. In the US, possession without a special permit is a felony with up to a $100,000 fine and a year of imprisonment.
>>
>>783874
Compared to deet and picaridin, though?
>>
>>783661
awful smell though
>>
>>783867
If your insect clouds are that bad, you need a flamethrower.
>>
>>783876
No comparison. It just werks.
>>
>>783661
This stuf is amazing. Everything else avon puts out sucks but skin so soft is fucking gold.
>>
>>778315
>>778410
>>783860
>>783874
>>783876
>>784176
You're comparing apples to oranges, DDT is an insecticide, not an insect repellant.
>>
>>784183

Autismo Maximus
>>
File: larping loser.jpg (501 KB, 706x1600) Image search: [Google]
larping loser.jpg
501 KB, 706x1600
Whats a good natural, deet free insect repellent?
>>
>>784290

>Whats a good natural, deet free insect repellent?
>>
>>780191
Actually you can buy deep woods off in small containers that are 100% DEET. I have some in my pack right now.
>>
>>784290
They sell eucalyptus and lemon oil sprays that have been tested to work pretty well.

Honestly I just tried some out tonight. Went to my neighbors house and bugs were biting me all the way there. They had some of this spray so I tried it out, no bites after that, so it worked just fine. Sold under the Repel brand.
>>
>>784832
"OFF! Deep Woods" is only 98.4% deet
>>
>>784837
I can vouch for this stuff, it works just fine.
>>
>>784880
>>784832
Sorry, 98.25%
>>
>>784884
you better be sorry, or fear the wrath of us being mean to you.
>>
>>784884
It's advertised sometimes as 100% DEET, those lying bastards.
>>
>>784963
for reals, though

I googled "100% DEET," and "OFF! Deep Woods" was the first hit... zoom in on the photo, and it clearly says 98.25%
>>
>>784837
thanks
>>
Head net sprayed with Permethrin works nicely combined with long sleeves and pants. You'll never kill the entire swarm, but you won't get bit. I haven't figured how to piss though, motherfuckers swarm my bird as soon as it's out. End up spazzing out and spraying it everywhere.

Be careful with Permethrin/DEET type shit around pets (especially kitties). Little guys can't handle the chemicals.
>>
>>785977
I saw a video of a cat exposed to permethrin the other day, looked really bad, made me really sad.

Yeah keep it hell away from kitties.
>>
>>780405
>.
>>778282

These two. I've used both. Anything under 100% deet is useless around the buggy parts of the WA Cascades. I've used these when there were literally a swarm of a billions of mosquito around me and never got bit once.
>>
>>778201
Is there one that i should use if I'll be going a few days without showing? I don't want deet on for that long
>>
File: Better than DEET.jpg (5 KB, 310x233) Image search: [Google]
Better than DEET.jpg
5 KB, 310x233
>>778201
Pic related
>>
>>786600
doesn't work brochinsky. i even switched to cigars and pressured by nephew to pick up the habit. still got eaten alive.
>>
>>786608
Well they leave me alone when I smoke. Probably helps that insects don't like me in general.
>>
>>786608

You gotta play the long game, man. The idea is that you die from lung cancer before they get a chance to bite you.
>>
>>786450
Bump for this question? I'm never sure what to do when I'm backpacking with mosquitos. I don't want to get eaten by mosquitos but I also don't want to be wearing DEET for three days straight without showering. What does /out/ do when you're outside for days at a time with mosquitos around?
>>
>>786600
Smoking makes everyone leave you alone, not just insects.
It's disgusting.
>>
>>783019
California*
>>
>>783661
This stuff is actually legit.
>>
The one with rhe most DEET in it. It really is the only thing that works.
>>
>>778201

DEET.

But if you breath it, or spray on skin over the longterm, you'll get cancer. Shit is toxic as fuck. Spray on posterior side of clothing, top of hat, back of boots, etc. No skin.

Otherwise you have to rely on those all natural oil stuff with tea tree oil/peppermint, all that shit.
>>
File: DSCF0591.jpg (628 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0591.jpg
628 KB, 1600x1200
>>780405
I keep the Cutter in my vehicle and put some on before going innawoods but I carry Repel in my pack, not because it's any better than anything but because it has the flip cap that won't come open in your pack and leak.
>>
I found Bullfrog brand anything is good. Problem is, Bullfrog is sometimes hard to find. Stores never carrying it in my area.
>>
File: 3961289304_cb6aea3377.jpg (75 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
3961289304_cb6aea3377.jpg
75 KB, 500x376
>>786965

I warsh mahself with a rag awn a steeuk
>>
Do the wristbands that repel mosquitoes actually work? I've seen them on TV and I've always wondered about them
>>
>>787594
>But if you breath it, or spray on skin over the longterm, you'll get cancer. Shit is toxic as fuck.

Please provide a reliable source for your claims.

(You're right though; DEET is the best)
>>
File: mygga-original-spray-75-ml-0.jpg (93 KB, 496x700) Image search: [Google]
mygga-original-spray-75-ml-0.jpg
93 KB, 496x700
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.