[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chafing fuel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: chafingfuel.jpg (165 KB, 1174x1200) Image search: [Google]
chafingfuel.jpg
165 KB, 1174x1200
How is using one of these to make a light meal, such as a soup or ramen or pasta?

From my searchings online they're fine and a lot cheaper than buying a made-for-camping stove.

Anyone have any experience with it? Did you build a nice little cage around it? I was thinking about just putting rocks around the stove as a way to put a pot over it.
>>
They work great when you cant have a fire or can't be bothered only suggested though is dont plan making a fatty meal with it. Small amounts work great but cooking for multiply people dont plan on it. Also I tend to make my own its alot cheaper.
>>
>>776911
>just putting rocks around the stove as a way to put a pot over it.
yep that works fine. these things are bretty cool. keep in mind some of them are methanol or ethanol, and some are diethylene glycol. diethylene glycol is a lot more heat but it's whicked hard to find. they both work fine for what you're suggesting, but if you wanted to really fry some eggiwegs or breakfast saucies you'll want the diethylene glycol if you can find it. surprisingly the Sternoâ„¢ and other pupular brands tend to be (m)ethanol but the Coghlan's "Camp Heat" ones are diethylene glycol!
>>
>>776911
If you have 2 beer cans you can make a better little stove that you can re use. I suppose technically you could fill empty those with methyl alcohol too.

Like the other guys said they are sufficient for boiling a liter of water but don't expect to make hamburger helper.
>>
>>776918
>diethylene glycol
Is hard to find because it's sweet tasting and poison. Not saying you shouldn't use it but that's the reason. If there is a dollar tree near you they sell the DG ones for a buck. Nice to stock up on.

But seriously just buy an MSR pocket rocket.
>>
>>777019
I assumed thats expensive when I just need to boil water.

Also any links/info on making your own?

Appreciate the info already guys
>>
>>776911
Stereo works awesome, burns hot. Just don't touch the metal for some time after its out, they're pretty fucking hot.
>>
>>777058
30 bucks new. And isopro is pretty cheap.
>>
>>776911
Mini Trangia is more versatile and more efficent.
>>
>not using fire cord
>>
File: 1464029115017.png (1 MB, 497x576) Image search: [Google]
1464029115017.png
1 MB, 497x576
>>776918
>Eggiwegs
>Breakfast saucies
>>
File: Untitled.png (341 KB, 495x484) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
341 KB, 495x484
>>777273
>buy it thinking it's a non-combustible version of paracord and use it around your kitchenware
>>
File: tea in ten seconds.jpg (287 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
tea in ten seconds.jpg
287 KB, 1024x768
>>776911
they're weak, but it's useful to have one for gentle simmering when your main stove only does 'boil' and 'burninate'
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.