[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trekking innawoods >wearing anything other than military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 700x466
>trekking innawoods
>wearing anything other than military boots on your feet

Why do people do this?
>>
Sooo... you hike completely naked wearing just military boots?
I like you style OP.
>>
File: 1431091086667.gif (328 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
1431091086667.gif
328 KB, 500x212
>>775142
Oh look, its this thread again.
dont even get me started on this shit
>>
>>775142
Simply put OP I could only afford one pair of boots/shoes whatever and whilst sure, the old German paratrooper boots I used to have were god tier I decided to pick up something a little more low key. Are they ideal? Nope, but they're better than nothing.
>>
>>775157
Is Charles a mongol?
>>
>>775157
Please, go ahead
>>
>>775161
No he's a cowboy with a Chicago accent, dummy. Wtf do you think this is?
>>
>>775142
Military boots are honestly horrible for /out/. Now, Altama has a pair of 10 inch full leather boots that I will admit are 5 star... any other military boot is garbage for the woods. Wear what loggers and wildland firefighters wear.
>>
>>775168
Pls no bull
>>
>>775309
Which is?
>>
>>775309
Wild land fire fighters wear boots that are made to keep from melting. This is an unnecessary feature that most likely adds weight, adds extra expense and detracts from the more suitable materials that could be used. Honestly, buy a shoe that was engineered for your intended purpose. Otherwise you are that guy going out of his way just because you want to act like motor oil is a suitable replacement for shaving cream or some shit like that.
>>
File: Whites-Boots-H7809-main.jpg (21 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
Whites-Boots-H7809-main.jpg
21 KB, 500x495
>>775448
These bad bitches are a good example
>>
>>775453
I am completely aware of this. Wildland Firefighters also hike much more than 90% of /out/ would ever dare to hike with those "extra heavy" boots.
>>
>>775455
Go outside in whatever you're wearing now and quit worrying some much about what people with jobs do my fat, soft handed little autists.
>>
>>775457
But that is actually my job. It is not hard to walk.
>>
File: 2016-05-25_12-38-28.jpg (420 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-25_12-38-28.jpg
420 KB, 1200x800
>>775309
>Military boots are honestly horrible for /out/
This may have been true up to about 20 years ago when they were mainly designed around parading and were stiff as fuck, but the ones I had from conscription were the comfiest fuckers ever ("were", because after about 10 years, the inside leather in the heels and toebox was shredded away, also the waterproofing wasn't perfect any more)
Bought the newer model as replacement back in March and now that they're broken in (took some time), I'm equally happy with them
Of course the weight (2.3kg for the pair) might be a downer for some, but that never really bothered me
>>
File: 16 - 1.jpg (510 KB, 614x908) Image search: [Google]
16 - 1.jpg
510 KB, 614x908
>>775142
>Why do people do this?
2016 (no need for 500 pound clogs)
>>
>>775142
>wearing anything other than military boots on your feet

I did 5 years in the Army and rucking in issue boots is the fucking worst
>>
>>775142
Because they for some reason think cotton boots with gore-tex lining is comfy, which they think because they've never worn proper boots for an extended period of time.
>>
>>775309
>Wear what loggers and wildland firefighters wear.
no. this is also wrong. and probably bait, but here goes.

soldiers, loggers and firefighters have a very rough and tumble job. their feet and lower legs take a severe beating all day long everyday.
A logger would wear out a new pair of "hiking shoes" in a single day.
But the average hiker can have a pair of Merrells last 1-2 years.
There is a huge difference between what you need as a day-hiker or backpacker compared to what a logger needs.
>>
>>775454
>hiking in that shit.
you people are certifiable retarded
>>
>>775937
They feel so wonderful. Truly a joy to walk in.
>>775934
Just because you are genetically inferior doesn't mean you should discount the activity of real men. The opinion of actual men is honestly the only one that should be considered. I am not going to take the advice of a figure skater when playing football.
>>
>>775142
STOLEN VALOR!!!!
>>
>>775945
>genetically inferior doesn't mean you should discount the activity of real men.

way to spout more meme bullshit nonsense without knowing wtf you're talking about.
I wear heavy duty waterproof all leather upper/lower 10" Work boots similar to a logger style boot. I wear them for work. not for fucking going on day hikes.
You dont need god damned 10" high all leather combat boots for recreational hiking.

Youre either tolling or your a complete moron with no life experience
>>
>>775961
OP asked for a good boot for hiking. I gave him the best. One a professional would use. Yeah, if you are casual just get a pair of merrel. But honestly, any shoe or boot is fine for casual hiking. Fuck, use flip flops.
>>
>>775961
>>775979
Re-read OP's post. I'm tripping. He didn't ask for a good boot. I showed him anyways. He is trying to claim military boots are better, well I provided an example of a better boot.
>>
>>775979
>One a professional would use.

Better wear fins next time you go hiking. Real man like navy seal wear them during /out/ activity.

>>775961
Just ignore the troll.
>>
>>776016
Dont tell someone to ignore a troll when you use such a horrible and insufficient argument.
>>
>>775989
By this point it's really obvious you're personally affiliated with that company and are only in it for advertising your insanely overpriced products. I know quality has its price, but $500 - five fucking hundred - for any pair of shoes, even if handcrafted from the leather of some rare endangered snake and precisely modelled after an MRT scan of your foot, is beyond /fa/ territory desu
>>
>>776101
Hahahahaha 0/10
>>
File: 132.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
>>775142
Because there's no need.
>>
>>775979
>Special forces embedded in the desert, rangers and navy seals wear merrels every day, those fucking casuals.
>>
>>775309
WW2 era all leather boots would be terrible, sure. Pretty sure every first world military has eliminated those by now. Most modern military boots incorporate wicking layers and goretex, just the same as those you'd buy from REI or wherever. In fact, many militaries have gotten rid of black leather altogether.

I know from experience that Bellevilles and Danners are good to go, and I'd love to get my hands on some Canadian Mark IVs.
>>
>>775979
>one a professional would use
Someone who treks or hikes professionally would use commercial trekking boot from Meindl, Scarpa, Asolo, Lowa, etc. for alpine trekking.

We get it, you spent a ridiculous amount of money on a pair of logger or firefighter boots and you're desperately trying to fend off buyer's remorse by insulting the manhood of people who actually go /out/.
>>
>>776260
>>776259
>>776252
Baby ankles
>>
Marinefag here

just because theyre military boots doesnt mean theyre fucking amazing for hiking. Theyre heavy, and they have a ruggedness fit for not having to worry about it breaking during combat or someshit. I have hiked in them but I have not particularly enjoyed it. They were too heavy and overbuilt, even though I was going up San Gorgino or whatever in LA.

Mil boots are great for jack of all trades type shit and can last a really long time, but specifically for hiking, I suggest you reconsider.
>>
File: altama7852.jpg (78 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
altama7852.jpg
78 KB, 600x600
>>776377
Yeah, pic related are light weight and you can walk through any creek and you can walk very far in these but I have never liked any other pair of military boots. I hate canvas boots. Had a woman drop a cigarette on my canvas military boots and she melted one of my boots about 50%. Was furious. I find that to be a major flaw. Will never wear canvas again. Most full leather especially the new marine jack boots are just way too much for what they are capable of. But these "nam stompers" as I call them are just fantastic.
>>
>>775142
Your mother doesn't wear anything, other than military boots on her feet.
>>
Military boots are great for mosh pits and stomping darkies.

When I'm not doing either of those I wear moccasins made by this drunk native dude. I like to feel the ground, and the flexibility of the leather lets my toes grip when on rough terrain. Mocs don't last as long as merrels, but I can get mine for 20 bucks because buddy needs money for box wine.

>>775934
Loggers wear boots because they use chainsaws and the protective equipment for chainsaws fits best over a pair of good steel-toed boots. Loggers do not walk very much, they cut trees and jump in a pickup truck when the day is done.

Firefighters also don't do a lot of walking, their job is to fight fires, which requires heavy clothing to protect against the heat. Ask a firefighter if he wears his fire suit when off the job.

Soldiers get issued boots by a semi-retard system that doesn't care about their health. In cases when soldiers are allowed to buy their own footwear, their commanders who don't walk anywhere insist that they only buy boots. It overall doesn't matter since most members of the military are POGs and don't need to march. Of the grunts, many are mechanized and don't ever need to walk far. The military could get away with wearing clown shoes.

When buying walking shoes, don't ask yourself what people who don't walk wear. That's dumb.

>>775955
It's spelled valour, and it can't be stolen. You can't steal cowardice either.
>>
>>775142
Are you daft? Military boots are fucking garbage.
>uncomfortable
>rip n tear
>not even remotely waterproof.

Its like you want your feet to fall off.
Two of my friends were in the military, different branches. Both say the boots are balls, and had no arch support.
>>
>>776393
As a wildland firefighter you are expected to walk upwards of 30 miles per day, 15 on average, for an average of 8 hours and up beyond 24 hours when needed. Such boots cannot abuse your feet or you would not be able to do those things. Loggers climb trees and hike up hills all day. That pick up truck idea is unrealistic and I have never met a logger that didn't spend all day holding a heavy saw and marching upward.
>>
>>776399
Fair enough, but if heavy protective equipment wasn't required then there would be no need to wear boots.

If you're not hiking through a fire or a pile of running chainsaws then put something that weighs less on your feet.
>>
>>776402
In the military you're told not to cheat yourself or your body. Wear your boots every day so that it isn't hard when you don't have the opportunity to wear slippers. Not trying to be offensive.
>>
I just wear $40 Ozark Trail boots from Walmart lel
Pretty comfy/10
>>
File: pies.jpg (207 KB, 1280x650) Image search: [Google]
pies.jpg
207 KB, 1280x650
Trail runner here. Never needed anything more than thin sandals or moccasins. What is boot really for?
>>
>>775559
What kind of boots and where can I get some?
>>
File: geeps_bg.png (14 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps_bg.png
14 KB, 261x195
>>776495
boots are for when you do things that are difficult anon
>>
File: Snapchat-2717637556799091518.jpg (576 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2717637556799091518.jpg
576 KB, 1080x1920
South Texas thornscrub here, boots sure as hell are a must for any hike. Cactus and thorny plants grow any and everywhere. Without some propper boots you won't last long.
>>
>>776674
Oh god. White thorn acacia. I hated South Texas.
>>
File: 673624.jpg (52 KB, 587x600) Image search: [Google]
673624.jpg
52 KB, 587x600
>>776495
>boots are for comfy
>boots are for ankcle support
>boots are for warmth
>boots are for off the carefully maintained trail
>boots are for when you accidentally step in the puddle you didnt notice in the middle of winter
>boots are for safety if they have toe inlays
>boots are for fun
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T812Xlha3UU
>>
>>776495

I've done a lot of barefoot and sandal hiking and am the first to admit it is not for everyone because your feet do get punished adapting.
>>
>>776659
Current German Army ones, got them for €105 off eBay (beware that there's lots of fake ones out there, you gotta get an eye for what is the real deal - and even then they're not available at all times, just checked right now and found barely any offers), dunno if they're also available in other places and at reasonable prices outside Germany/Europe, so if you're in the US, you might be better of with stuff that is very expensive here but cheaper for you, like Danner, Merell etc
>>
>>776495
When you have to explain to someone why you need boots while /out/, you might as well just turn 360° and moonwalk forward
>>
>>776711
That's why you break them before actually going /out/
>>
File: 1462756067419.jpg (26 KB, 478x519) Image search: [Google]
1462756067419.jpg
26 KB, 478x519
>>775147
You don't?
fag
>>
>>776822
You realize people thru hike in sandals and running shoes? I forgot /out/ thinks UL is just a meme
>>
>>776832
Good for them.
>>
>>775142

Logging boots have been the central design to most contemporary hiking / work boots. Military boots are not cutting edge, they just tossed money and a "decent-enough" design. Boots that cater to wildland firefighters or loggers are the ones that'll be durable and comfortable through rough terrain over long distances.
>>
>>776832
People also smoke meth in the woods. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
>>
>>775142
Because military boots are heavy.

Because once you're feet get wet the boots could take a day or more to dry.

Because a pair of good trail runners is a fraction of the price of a good pair of military boots.

If you're /out/ for a day it's fine, but otherwise enjoy your blisters and perpetually wet socks.

Anyone who has actually been out for a significant period of time knows how fucking stupid big boots are.
>>
i'm assuming you think waterproofing your feet is a good idea for going /out/, op. you're wrong.
>>
>>776917
pussy

>>776919
what is winter
>>
File: nope.jpg (30 KB, 250x211) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
30 KB, 250x211
>>776908
Says you
>>
>>776674
>be 10yo
>barefoot 4lyfe
>in Texas on vacation
>hot sand fucking everywhere
>some weird tree that drops spiky burs that hide in the sand

Fuck Texas.
>>
>>776408

That's the military. Are you in the military? If you're just going /out/ then maybe you don't need to do that.
>>
>>776700

A PUDDLE!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>776946

kek'd
>>
>>776674
>>776950
I grew up in south Texas, (361) and went barefoot everywhere on our ranch...
Until I stepped awkwardly on a wooden pallet and got a huge fucking splinter in my foot that didn't come out for a couple weeks.

Now I wear boots, though I prefer to hunt in something light like converse. I just wear heavy pants (like Carhartt duck pants) and deal with mesquite thorns through the sole.

Man up.
>>
File: Salomon.jpg (68 KB, 590x393) Image search: [Google]
Salomon.jpg
68 KB, 590x393
Haters gonna hate.

All the while I'ma gonna be enjoying my lightweight waterproof booties.
>>
Military boots are garbage tier. Solomon or vasque hiking boot superiority. Wear something actually designed for comfort and long distance travel. If boots aren't submersible and waterproof why even wear them over a trailrunner or sandal?
>>
>>775578
>5 yrs in the army
>fucking rucking in issued shit
> confirmed for idiot
>>
>>775309
Danner and many people who have served would like a word with you.
>>
>>777557
Danner makes shit tier military boots and decent working boots. Get a pair of white's.
>>
File: 2aa.jpg (123 KB, 550x456) Image search: [Google]
2aa.jpg
123 KB, 550x456
>>777541
>solomon
>>
>>777412
those actually look pretty nice.
>>
>>777587
they are. one of the most popular synthetic hiking boots from what I've seen.

Recommended.

1300g per pair, decent soles and ankle support, decent lacing system, waterproof, but light enough to walk or climb all day in.
>>
>mountain patrol ranger
>Hiked my mountain 400+ times
>Wear Asics running flats (targeted at track runners)
>Comfortable and better ventilated then conservative old people or tacticool military wannabes
>Don't worry about ankle support because I'm not a weak manchild that only leaves his basement once a month
>>
>>778972

Not barefoot, what a wimp
>>
>>777412
seconding this. Been wearing boots for better part of a decade now, first in USMC infantry with all the danners and whatever else, best things I could find / buy. These are by far the best pair of boots I've ever had, and after 2 michigan winters and a thousand miles are only getting better every day.
>>
>>775142
Your post suggests that mocs aren't the god tier footwear, you are not god tier.
>>
>>776393
You are retarded.
>>
>>775142
I wear waterproof columbia hiking shoes. You don't need fucking army boots to go for a hike, you aren't in the army, so why suffer? I typically dislike the heavy, clunky feeling of boots. Same reason I don't fill an alice pack with 50 pounds of shit and just bring a backpack with snacks, first aid, and water. Then again, I don't really camp as much as I day hike.

I do bring a pistol when I hike though. Crazy shit happens in the mountain woods.
>>
>>776383
Where can I find those in europe ?
what's the brand ?
>>
If you wear any kind of boot for anything other than being on an OSHA monitored job site you are casual/fat. There is never any excusable reason to have boots on while /out/, just like trekking poles, if your ankles/body can't handle a simple task like walking around in the woods then go on a diet and start training properly, don't buy crutches.
>>
>>779047
Google "altama 10 inch full leather" thats the only way i find them
>>
>>779059
thx !
>>
>>775142
I wish I could find those light cloth boots the brits wear. I can never seem to find them, or if I do the markup is outlandish...
>>
>>775455
As he looks at his lusty fireman's calendar. ...
>>
>>776231
Guinea worms detected...
>>
>>775455
I'm not sure I get it, is it because they perform search and rescue missions?
>>
File: Gaelic_clothing_Ireland.jpg (93 KB, 565x600) Image search: [Google]
Gaelic_clothing_Ireland.jpg
93 KB, 565x600
>wearing shoes
>ever
wtf?
>>
I wear rubber flip flops

I need stealth
>>
>>779048

>If you're not doing it the hard way, you're not doing it at all

#don'tstopbelieving
>>
>>776908
see
>>776917

there is literally no such thing as "waterproof"unless you are roadwalking or day hiking. so do want 8 pound waterlogged boat anchors on your feet or something much lighter and that will eventually dry?
>>
>>779188
It all depends where you live. In my oceanic climate, there's tall (up to 1.50m), wet grass year round, but barely any streams to cross, so wearing full leather boots is the best bet to keep your feet as dry as possible. With humidity generally being around 90%, sneakers won't usually dry quickly enough
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.