[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will washing my /out/ clothes, myself, or my hair with eucalyptus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: dr-bronners-soap.jpg (352 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
dr-bronners-soap.jpg
352 KB, 750x750
Will washing my /out/ clothes, myself, or my hair with eucalyptus or peppermint soap do anything to help keep bugs away since those oils are used in natural bug sprays? Mostly worried about mosquitoes and ticks.
>>
>>774973
Not really, no.
>>
>>774973
Bees and horse flies LOVEEE eucalyptus.

I wash my hair/alpaca hat with a eucalyputs based soap and when ever im near a hive only my head gets swormed. And only my head.
>>
File: jchh.jpg (29 KB, 347x344) Image search: [Google]
jchh.jpg
29 KB, 347x344
>>775014
>when ever im near a hive only my head gets swormed. And only my head
>>
>>774973
10% sulfur soap is what you want
>>
You can buy biodegradable soap designed to keep the bus away. I have some and it doesn't smell pretty but I felt like it works a little.

You could probably Google how to make some of you're trying to do the hippy thing or just trying to save money making it yourself.
>>
>>774973
None of that shit does shit. Smear yourself with DEET, that is the way to keep bugs off.

Basically if the bugs are just bothering you, like mayflies or gnat or somesuch, you need to man up and deal with them. If biters, like flies of mosquitos, smear yourself with full bore DEET. Only effective remedy, all this other crap is crap.
>>
>>775051
this
>>
Wash-in permethrin works bretty gud for clothes.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>775182
Chain smoking isn't too bad at keeping the bugs away either.
>>
Why are you worried about bugs? Are you a sissy city boy or something?
>>
File: keen-uneek-sandals.jpg (90 KB, 615x563) Image search: [Google]
keen-uneek-sandals.jpg
90 KB, 615x563
>>775459
You have never been to northernCanada in the summer.

Also natural products are like alternative medicine.
Complete bullshit.
>>
>>775051
Deet never works though.
>>
>>775647
Deet works fine, you just don't undestand the reapply times.
>>
>>774973
Scented soaps are probably a bad idea. I know some trail groups that explicitly say not to use *mint as bears seem to like it (even toothpaste).

>>775051
I use 3M Ultrathon (34% DEET). A bit pricey, but it goes on nicely (its a cream, kinda like sunscreen) and usually lasts me all day unless I go swimming.

If I'm still having issues after using Ultrathon (usually only in proper swampy areas), I have a bottle of Sawyer Jungle Juice (98% DEET). Nasty stuff, makes my skin burn for about a half-hour after applying, and it eats plastic, but nothing touches me with it on.
>>
>>775459
Yes. Also Lyme disease.

Gotta wash anyway, figured if there was something that'd have an additional benefit might as well do it.
>>
>>775839
>nothing touches me with it on.
I wouldn't touch you either with that shit.
>>
>>774973
i used to apply deet/eucalyptus but the constant re-applying + the smell + side-effects to your health have led me to just say fuck it and let 'em bite. i find that if you don't scratch, the bites usually itch less and go away faster.
>>
>>775839
>(98% DEET). Nasty stuff, makes my skin burn for about a half-hour after applying, and it eats plastic
I would just deal with the bugs at that point. I've lived in malaria-affected areas and never had any utility for something like that.
>>
>>775216
>reposting pepsifag's picture
>>
>>775043

>Be /out/
>Bending over campfire cooking dinner
>Hear a faint rumbling noise
>notagain.jpg
>rumbling noise increases
>NO FUCK OFF BUS YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY
>>
>>775216

Ah so that's why fish never have mosquito bites
>>
>>775637
Eh, not total bullshit, you just have to reapply every hour or two.
>>
>>777406
I laughed.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.