[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Food For Long Trips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
What's the best food for a 2 week trip?
>>
>>773754
1kg of rice krispies. because they weigh less than 1kg of MRES. but you can carry 1kg of peanut butter too. as it only weighs as much as a liter of water.
>>
>>773756

is this really what you do with your life?
>>
>>773754

have you never been grocery shopping for yourself or something? There is no "best" food. If your an adult who is not retarded, you should be able to go on a trip for 2 weeks and not starve. Use common fucking sense god damn what is with all these "what should i eat?" threads lately? How did you make it this far in life without knowing what food to eat?
>>
>>773756
>heading /out/
>see some autist passing by
>ratty exframe ALICE pack
>grey stained wifebeater
>3 morakniv of varying size
>peanut butter, nutella, amd bags of rice krispies swinging from pack
>gag as stench fills my nostrils while he passes
>turns to me and reminds me not to screw around with campfires
>turns and walks away, muttering about cairns
>>
So, do we blame summer or the mods trolling /b/?
>>
>>773788
>>773797
>>773796

In my defense i looked over /out/ before I posted this. Im not the OP to that thread. But I did find it funny... Common /out/ needs some fresh memes. Otherwise its container bunkers filled with imitation crab meat and wooden pallet furniture.
>>
>>773816

>imitation crab meat

Khlav Khalash?
>>
>>773790
Ok, so now that I've bought food using my "common sense" because I'm an adult, what's the best way to cook it?
>>
>>773754
I can post a list of what I pack for 14 days after work ( do not have it here). In general, you will have to be selective because of weight and volume.
Also, big question is if you have wood for fuel, or if you ned to bring your own fuel. If you have wood, things get much more simple.
>>
>>773796
goddamn, underrated
>>
>>773912
>make fire
>get food hot
Fucking idiot
>>
fucking hell it doesn't matter what you say you'll just end up eating fucking disgusting lemon rice and uncooked porridge.
>>
>>773754

rice
pasta
tinned sauces
tinned tuna
eggs
noodles
porridge
dried milk
trail mix
oranges or similar tough fruit
pre-mixed (by me at home not bought, I mean) bannock mix
Cured sausage (chorizo, fuet, etc)
Potatoes, sweet potato, carrot, all the root veg last pretty well.
Beans

My typical days meal would be:

Breakfast: Porridge and a piece of fruit, cup of tea

Lunch: Something quick - instant noodles or whatever,

Evening: 'Cooking', more complex heavier meal, egg fried rice, pasta, omelette, baked potato, whatever.

I'd plan it so the first few days I'm eating more fresh foods.

5 days is the max I've done without resupply tho', 14 days food is gonna be a sizeable amount - where are you going that you can't resupply?

And IMO anyway the hot sauce is pretty important.
>>
>>774023
>camping
>eggs
Car camper pls go
>>
>>773754
1. calculate your daily calorie intake, theres several online tools for that, use hard work mode
2. multiply with the number of days you plan to be out (and include some reserve days)
3. check if you got ample fuel (wood) or if you have to carry it (Alpine, Arctic)
4. check if you can supplement by either fishing, small game hunting or gathering edible plants, check if you can resupply at some point

Work from there.
Here is an example list for 12+ days in the arctic tundra, no fuel, no chance for supplements, no resupply

12 double instant meal: 14.4k (3.6kg)
8 single instant meals : 5.4k (1.2kg)
24 Snickers 6k (1.2kg)
trail mix 5k (1kg)
12 cliff bars 4.4k (800g)
reindeer jerky 3k (1.2kg)
rye bread 5k (2kg)
cheese 2k (500g)
tea, sugar, spices chewing gum 200g

If I have wood for cooking my list would look much more along the lines of this anon >>774023
plus likely some rice, lentils, flour, spices, olive oil and dried sauces. Also if there is some good fishing I'd bring a rod and some gear, for two weeks it would pay out.

tl:dr state what you plan to do and work from there
>>
>>773756
underrated post
>>
>>773796
kek
>>
>>773973
I have super easy access to wood where I'm going.
>>
>>773912

>needing to cook food

Should have bought food that doesn't require heat fool. Making compromises for 1+ weeklong trips is necessary.
>>
>>774056
Not that anon but have taken eggs for the first night of a backpacking trip. You have to crack them beforehand and put them in a freezer ziploc. Then put the ziploc in boiling water when you are ready to eat and you have yourself a nice meal
>>
>>774066
nah it's just a retarded and sad attempt at creating a meme out of nothing.
>>
>>774557
I've heard of this but if the bag breaks then you have eggs all over everything.
>>
>>775061
Not Eggman. But I saw a guy bring them in a used water bottle. Seems like a better solution than a Ziploc bag. Plus I'd imagine you could add everything in there prediced to save space.
>>
>>773754
Semolina or Polenta are good, they only needs its own volume in boiling water to cook it, water is absorber by the product no waist
>>
>>775087
Clever, I like it.
>>
Soup and a hard bread
>>
>>773756
nutella
1kg = 5000+ kcal = 1 week half rations
bacon (smoked)
1kg = 9000+ kcal = 1 week full rations
/thread
>>
>>777581
Bacon goes bad so fast once you open the package though
>>
>>773754
I pack 4 bags of rice and shit load of canned sardines..
>>
>>777661
vacuum pack small portions if that's a problem
when reasonably cold you can just wrap smoked bacon in a cloth it keeps for months
>>
Bars
Nuts
Jerky
Soylent

Although you should try the soylent to see if your stomach doesn't hate it
>>
>>773754
Pimmican

Its basically shreddeed jerky preserved in fat

It shouldn't be the only thing you bring but for the weight its dense and keeps very very well.
>>
File: 51HOoDjFmRL._SY400_.jpg (24 KB, 276x400) Image search: [Google]
51HOoDjFmRL._SY400_.jpg
24 KB, 276x400
Favorite snack while /out
>>
>>778919
Oh, and dried fruit is nice
>>
>>778919

>Soylent

It should be fine as long as you're not allergic to people.
>>
>>777939
i'm partial to canned tunas
there is only one way i like sardines broken in margarine with salt and paprika
>>
How long do potatoes/sweet potatoes last?
>>
>>777581
>not pemican

Who are you?
>>
>>779164
>allergic to people
Everyone here is allergic to people, that's why we go /out/.
>>
>>773754
Polenta and spam are GOAT.
>>
>>779399
you can keep your dogfood
>>
Has anybody tried to make Spam jerky?
>>
>>779472
>not understanding the reference
>>
Ask this Anon

>>779614
>>
>>779739
Punk kids.
>>
>>779739
Well only solyent green was people, the others weren't.
>>
>>779776
> projecting they didn't run out of soylent red or soylent yellow
>>
>>774436
i agree. peanut butter isnt just a miracle food because of its useful and tasty calories, its a magical culinary ingredient as well. it can be eaten hot, cold, savory, sweet. all with the smallest bit of finessing. salt and spices turns peanut butter into a curry sauce. sugar and cinnamon makes it great with porridge. rice can be used both with the curry, and for the porridge
>>
>>773796

You ran into:

THE LEGEND OF DA WOODS
>>
>>779472

https://instantostrich.com/
>>
>>778924
This fucker gets it, If you can't figure out what you want to eat just bring enough calories worth of pemmican and hardtack. Keep It Simple, Stupid.
>>
>>780307
nothing more simple than nutella.
you can spread it on bacon (same as pemmican just better and also tastes better).
>>
>>779653
>making jerky from pork

k.
>>
>>773756

>1kg of rice crispies weighs less than 1kg of MREs

Were you born by a river and raised eating rocks?
>>
>>773790

I think he meant "What food will keep at ambient temperature on a 2 week trip and that I can bring enough of in a backpack without compromising space and will provide enough nutrition for that time in that amount to not die" but if you want to be a contrary buttnugget....
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.