[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here go hiking with historic food items for their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: diet.jpg (277 KB, 691x720) Image search: [Google]
diet.jpg
277 KB, 691x720
Does anyone here go hiking with historic food items for their provisioning?

I'm rather enamored with making hardtack, and would like to emulate a roman-style diet if anyone knows much about it. So far I am carrying wine, Meat, hardtack, and a smattering of fruit. Am I missing anything?

General discussion on the topic also welcome
>>
>>773575
>hardtack
>civilized
Make bread anon
>>
>>773575
>Am I missing anything?
A girlfriend.
>>
>>773628

Take a flesh light, cheaper and lighter weight
>>
>>773575
>roman-style diet

get your house slaves to buy some dormouse, but you sound like a pleb so I'm guessing you probably don't even have one.
>>
>>773575
Cheese
>>
>>773575
I'm not into LARPing or cosplay, so no
>>
>>773575
Roman style diet is pretty much the mediterranean style diet plus oyster sauce to replace garum.
>>
>>773648
kek

Do they make carbon fiber fleshlight housings?
Or fleshlights with aerogel densities?
>>
>>773575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkbwhk1Eq80
Metatron does some good videos about roman life. As long as the accent doesn't get to you.
>>
>>773992
Kek
Not yet, give me a year to develop one with NASA.
I can only imagine what they would say when you asked for some aerogel for you fleshlight™

Actually this isn't that outrageous. We have a long trip to mars and astronauts are still people with needs.
>>
File: dreamstime_xxl_1292693.jpg (66 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
dreamstime_xxl_1292693.jpg
66 KB, 600x400
>>773575
I and many in these parts (Lithuania) take black rye bread and smoked/salted bacon/lašiniai. Both are very good keeping, filling and high energy content. Basically godlike. You can also grab an onion and garlic for flavor and they dont take up much space.
>>
>>775789
They have hands anon
>>
>>777656
That's not good for morale though. You should know that by now :^)
>>
>>773953
grains with gravy (basically what you would feed pigs with)
bread and olive oil (tastes like crap if you ask me)
some bacon or smoked meat
>>
>>773575
You missed olive oil and gruel (i.e. the vast majority of Roman food).
>>
Hardtack is awesome. My dad and I used to make it. Reminds me of trips to Aberdeen proving grounds to watch the artillery fire. Anyway the key is using just a little rendered bacon fat as shortening and tiny bit of salt. Then flour and water, nothing else.
>>
>>777990
Do you have a full recipe?
>>
>>777980
>bread and olive oil (tastes like crap if you ask me)
Crush a garlic clove, rubb it on a little dish and remove, add a little bit of black pepper into the dish, some oregano, 3 parts olive oil per 1 part balsamic vinegar. Then proceed to dip bread (real bread). Heaven, anon.
>>
>>777990
The same effect can be achieved by just letting some bread to dry. Am I wrong?
>>
>>778498
Not quite, as the bread can spoil. Hardtack, if kept even someone properly, won't.
>>
>>777980
> he doesn't eat the bread using the olive oil bottle they bring with it at fancy restaurants

LMFAO
>>
>>773575
>Does anyone here go hiking with historic food items for their provisioning?

19th century North-American or Native American is probably the way to go in terms of /out/ food.
>jerky
>pemmican
>chili brick
>tortilla
>corn meal
>>
>>778566
>chili brick

Why have I never heard of this until now?
>>
>>778587
probably cause chili is better fresh and not dried out, but way back in the day traders and settlers in the south-west would transport it in a dried brick and then dissolve it into a soup. not sure there are too many modern examples for sale but you can probably find a recipe on line.
>>
File: beef_suet-01.jpg (254 KB, 1000x678) Image search: [Google]
beef_suet-01.jpg
254 KB, 1000x678
also suet....suet is key to any pre-modern out eating.
>>
>>778593
Interesting
>>778599
I thought fat went rancid.
>>
>>778566
>19th century North-American or Native American is probably the way to go in terms of /out/ food.
Or look at how the rest of the world still eats and can make proper food with simple ingredients.
>>
File: ST_MeatEnterprise.jpg (31 KB, 550x339) Image search: [Google]
ST_MeatEnterprise.jpg
31 KB, 550x339
>>775947
Yes. YES. Shit is cash. Add apples, cheese and wine.

>>778497
This fag knows his shit. Listen to him.
>>
>>779890
>dat pic
Saved

Since smoked foods were mentioned earlier, does anyone here smoke meat/cheese themselves?
I'm the op of the bbq thread. Looking to do it this summer.
>>
>>780038
I know a guy who does, I know that he uses a poncho tied at the sleeves so it's airtight. Then he supports it on a stick, lights a fire under it and then burns a bunch of live wood. I've never eaten anything he's produced though.
>>
>>780061
A poncho? Seems like a great way to get carcinogens.
>>
>>780038
You can use a cardboard box. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>780115
So's smoking it. You don't need to use a poncho, you could use bedsheets or a cardboard box if you wanted,
>>
I've you'd ever had real hardtack before you would know that it's a bad idea.
>>
>>778611
not if you smoke it salt it and keep it cool.
>>
>>773575
I carry dried and salted meat, it's usually horse or donkey, sometimes beef.
not that moist candy like jerky, just thoroughly dried meat. you carve it like wood and add it for flavor to beans or greens in a pot. also just chew on it it's like gum after about 15 minutes.
>>
>>782944
Do you make your own or buy it? Is there a good place you an order cheap dry meat?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.