[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ded marmot precip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: JACKET_MARMOT_PRECIP.jpg (13 KB, 445x260) Image search: [Google]
JACKET_MARMOT_PRECIP.jpg
13 KB, 445x260
so i scored a marmot precip at the thrift store, but its lining is completely fucked. i figure i have 2 choices:
>duct tape patch
pros: this will be the cheapest way to get it back near its original capability
cons: lining will be like 25% duct tape, and at all the places i'll notice it most (collar, wrists, waist), heavy and lumpy
>strip out lining
pros: it becomes super light and packable
cons: it loses 90% of its rain resistance

i'm leaning towards stripping the pu lining and having it as a super lightweight windbreaker/drizzle layer to throw over a fleece or whatever. has anyone here ever tried that, and does it become utterly useless, or does it retain some effectiveness cutting a breeze?
>>
>>773223
Before attempting anything, test it. Put a tshirt and the jacket over and go into the shower for a couple minutes. Check if and where you got wet.

Now I would apply some seam sealer or give it a bath with nikwax. Or just leave it like that without trying to strip the lining because chances are you'll ruin it.
>>
>>773244
thanks, but i think you're underestimating what i meant by "completely fucked". it's *completely* fucked-at least 15% of the polyurethane lining has already peeled off, leaving just the outer nylon layer, especially where it's really needed. like across the upper back and shoulders. a little seam sealer and waterproofing rehab won't accomplish much.
>>
update bump

i put a small piece of duct tape on part of the exposed inside surface of the outer nylon layer. it's been there 24 hours, and a just pulled a corner up to check it out. it stuck well and hasn't left any residue. i think i'm going to leave it another 24, and if it still doesn't leave any residue i'm going to try rebuilding the polyurethane liner with duct tape. if i get it on okay i'm going to check the comfort (including with a loaded backpack) and if that goes okay i'll take it in the shower to see how it seals and how water affects the tape's adhesion to the nylon. if it fails comfort or water seal i'll pull the tape and remaining liner and give it a whirl as a windbreaker down at the beach. worst case scenario a garbage jacket is garbage and i'm just out a few bucks, best case scenario i get a decent (albiet ghetto rigged) outer layer, so perfect thing to experiment on.
>>
>>774862
You might as well wear a tarp. Just leave it as is and use it as a windbreaker anon
>>
>lining will be 25% duct tape

I'm all for thrift scores and reviving old gear, but that sounds too far gone OP.
>>
>>775011
like i said, worst case scenario i toss it. but maybe 5 bucks and a half hour of patching will give me something i can drag around and beat the ever loving shit out of without worrying about how much $ i dropped on it. and the outer layer literally looks brand new.
>>
>>773223
Look up the Patagonia Houdini - it is like $100 for basically a super light nylon windbreaker.

Basically the exact same thing you are suggesting by taking out the liner.

They are pretty nice for things like hikes that go up above the treeline where wind can become a big deal.
>>
>>775301
Don't worry anon, OP disregarded our expert advice and went his own way. He is a madman. Nothing can stop him now.
>>
>>775301
thanks for the suggestion. depending on how my experiments go i'll check it out.

>>775329
>expert advice
kek. show me where someone gave "expert advice". all i see is basic waterproofing maintenance, wear a tarp, and throw it away. none of which is super relevant to my question if anyone's tried what i'm considering.
>>
Nigger, you retarded moron, order a pathfinder jacket from llbean you cheap bastard. It's like $200, fully waterproof with a lifetime warranty. If it gets messed up send it back and they'll fix it or send you a brand new one.

$200 and you'll have a good all around jacket for your whole life
>>
>>775378
Maybe he is not in murica. I know you are just trying to help OP but don't project your circumstances anon. Context is key.
>>
>>775384
Don't they have euro equivalents? Most good brands have warranties on their products. I shop at thrift stores all the time but when you're buying jackets and boots you want to get them new.
>>
>>774862
don't be a retard and duct tape your jacket. Do as other anon said and seam seal it properly.

Otherwise >>774863 has the best advise and just use it as an wind proof.
>>
>>775571
and as i told that other anon, seam sealing it will be insufficient

re: leaving it as is, i already have a water resistant windbreaker that's about the same weight as this jacket is now, so i either want this jacket to be waterproof (patched) or much lighter (stripped). leaving it as is doesn't add anything to my clothing options that i don't already have.
>>
>>773223
Try seam tape intended for gore-tex garments if you can find it at a decent price.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.