[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crater Lake thread I guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 1588x904) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 1588x904
Hey /out/, I'm a young English lad who's planning a big America road trip with my chum. A place we definitely want to check out when we're in Oregon is Crater Lake National Park. I've had a good look at this place on Google Earth and a read a bit about it online but I was just wondering if it's possible to get to Wizard Island and hike to the top of it.

From what I can tell this area circled in red looks like it's fairly shallow water and it also doesn't appear to be a long distance (could be wrong though, I've never been here before) Would it be possible to swim this distance? And another thing would be how on earth would we manage to get down those big cliffs? They don't appear too steep but instinct tells me they're probably bigger and steeper than they seem.

I've also heard that you can catch boats to wizard island? We're doing this road trip as cheap as possible though and I'd rather have the satisfaction of getting to wizard island myself but if that's not possible a boat would be an option.

Also might as well make this a Crater Lake thread. Share experiences of hiking around Crater Lake, it looks really beautiful and I wanna know all about it.
>>
have to take the boat, but it drops you off and you can hike to the top of wizard island.

if you're planning on camping there (at the park, can't sleep on the island) you'll need to make your reservations at least 3-6 months in advance, depending on how busy a time of year you're planning on coming.

last time i went was in december about 6 years ago and it was full whiteout conditions. 100' visibility. 9+ feet of snow. it was awesome.
>>
seeing it in the snow sounds awesome but we'll probably be going there during the summer. We don't plan on camping there (although now you mention it that doesn't sound like a bad idea) it was probably just going to be a one day thing.

Also could I just ask, where is the dock where you catch the boat? and is it at all expensive?
>>
>>772461
yeah, i wouldn't recommend winter for your first visit. it was an interesting change from when i'd been in the summer

>https://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm
should have everything you need
>>
>>772454
1 google search and you have your answer
Is it that hard?
>>
>>772484
well I was hoping to talk to other humans about it
>>
>>772454
Firstly, you cannot enter crater lake for 8 months out of the year. You may see 4 feet of snow in July.

Secondly, stay on the trail and don't do much besides look around you.

Honestly I never respect rules about staying on trails but this place in particular is truly amazing. Please take good care while you are there. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.
>>
File: goddamit.jpg (86 KB, 634x622) Image search: [Google]
goddamit.jpg
86 KB, 634x622
>>772498
>ask stupid, trivial questions that can more reliably and quickly be answered by a computer
>b-but i want to talk to real people

then do some fucking research on the basics and come back with more interesting or subtle questions.
>>
>>772454
While you're not wrong about the slope being steep, you should do fine with good boots. If you plan on swimming, a proper flotation/waterproof device may be necessary to bring your gear along. Good luck anon

Also if you come through southern CO you're welcome to stay here. There's a lot of nice scenery here too.
>>
>>772785
When did /out/ turn into a bunch of fucking assholes?
>>
>>772857
When did /out/ become a bunch of dumbasses who can't into internet?
>>
>>772454
>steep cliffs

See those trees on the side there? Those are full sized trees. Believe me, it's bigger and steeper than you think.

It's beautiful though, but I'd just do a day visit. It's not really a "hike and camp" area. More of a tourist thing. They're pretty strict about where you can and can't go there. That being said, there's fucking a epic /out/ for hundreds of miles in every direction from crater lake if you want that too.

Also, if you're driving up through oregon, something nice to do is climb south sisters. It's a non-technical climb that really only requires some stamina and you can say you climbed a mountain on your road trip.
>>
>>772859
Seriously dude, fuck off. /Out/ has traditionally always been a place where people who appreciate the outdoors can have interesting and mostly positive conversations about something they enjoy. You are straight fucking cancer.
>>
>>772860
>Those are full sized trees

and by "full sized" he means the small ones are 150'. western u.s. doesn't fuck around with its greenery.
>>
>>772863
pissed that he's right? /out/ is about being self reliant. babbies that want to be spoonfed fundamental information can fuck off. or do you want this board to be flooded by threads that are 2 posts long by retards asking the same retarded questions over and over?
>>
File: you.jpg (24 KB, 475x469) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
24 KB, 475x469
>>772866
What the fuck are you even doing here faggot? Why even waste your precious time shitposting about anons posting questions who just want a human bean to respond? Get the fuck out of here you retarded fucking nigger.
>>
>>772872
What the fuck are you even doing here faggot? Why even waste your precious time shitposting about anons being annoyed by stupid questions? Get the fuck out of here you retarded fucking nigger.
>>
File: 1463583935749.jpg (93 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1463583935749.jpg
93 KB, 300x400
>>772866
U mad whiteboi?
>>
>>772872
>rewarding stupidity
is as bad as being stupid
>>
>>772454
You've been looking at it at google maps, you should have seen its just a 200 m stretch of water. If you have a little bit of stamina you can actually swim the 7 km from the other side. Now if you wanna work your way down the cliffs do it on a forested slope and follow the shore to the point where you wanna cross the water. The rocky slopes look very prone to land slides, at the bottom you can clearly see debris flats stretching out in the lake.

Also check legalities and don't get hypothermia
>>
Don't go too far off of established trails. There are tons of meth camps. Every year dead people turn up who were murdered.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.