[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wild 'shrooms, halp!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
>long post inbound
So I don't get /out/ much but I figured this was the only place people might know what's going on or how to help.
Today I just noticed a small, white mushroom growing inside my White's tree frog's tank. It wasn't there yesterday when I fed and watered him, and I haven't been around all day, so it has to be new.
It looks kinda similar to pic related except it's tiny, its stalk is a whole lot thicker, and the head has a brown spot in the very center. Everything else is white as snow. I can't take pictures right now because reasons.
I did some looking around google and couldn't find any results on what the mushroom is or if my frog is gonna die or not. I moved him into a plastic reptile travel carrier I keep for backup. This is the first time this has happened in the 7 years he's been with me and I don't want my battletoad to die from a stupid ass mushroom.
I live in UT, USA. Hopefully that helps thin down the list of possible mushrooms. I don't leave my house often and not many people enter the room I keep the frog in, except me. So I somehow brought a spore into the environment. Anyone here know their 'shrooms (wild ones of course) and know if me or my frog should be concerned? He did touch it briefly while I chased him around trying to move him to the new cage, but I didn't touch it.
>>
I'm no mycologist, but you should take a photo of it, then take a spore print. That would definitely help in identification for those on the board who know their stuff.

After that, if I were you I'd just clean and sterilize the tank and take a few extra steps in the process to ensure it's squeaky clean.
>>
>>771926
>clean and sterlize the tank
I'll do my best but they say not to use cleaning agents when cleaning tanks for amphibians. Some reptiles are fine but amphibians, especially frogs, drink water through their skin so they're more susceptible to chemicals and chemical residue, especially chlorine in the water. I have to use special drops in his pitcher of water to eliminate chlorine and other shit, and when I clean the tank I have to use a hose then let it completely dry.
I have no idea where I can take a spore print of it, I'm not a mycologist either. I just know basic shit I read in grade school. I'll definitely take some pics tomorrow, I'll upload if I can. I'll make another thread if I have to really. It's almost midnight though, that's half of my "because reasons"
>>
>>771933
Oh and I forgot, there's this stuff called Eco Earth that's made of dried coconut shavings and shit that I use for the dirt layer in the bottom of the tank, so it's not legitimate dirt. There is one dead cricket and some frog excrement in there so I guess it could thrive if he splashes water out of his bowl everywhere. I just never thought actual spores would get in there, it's a terrarium.
Also, most of the decorations I keep in there have been in there for the entire time I've had him (washing regularly of course). The most recent addition was a holographic backdrop I attached to the outside of the tank and I bought it from a pet store.
>>
The mushroom is all shriveled by the time I woke up. I'm just gonna go ahead and wash it. Froggo is fine for now
>>
>>771919
What tree? Googling "white mushroom with brown spot on top" returns results such as "Destroying Angel (Amanita ocreata) grows on or near a variety of oak trees. The cap may be white or ocher, and it often has a brownish center. The stem and gills are white. Ingestion can cause jaundice, delirium, seizures, coma and death."
>>
>>772533
Yeah, my search resulted in a similar answer. The mushroom is gone now, and neither I or the frog ingested it so I guess we're okay.
I just hope it doesn't happen again
>>
it looks like a mycena of some sort. pretty cool you have an environment thats growing that.

take a pic. describe the environment. post it on mushroomobserver.org wait for a professional mycologist to ID it for you

not a destroying angel
>>
>>771919
Just assume all white mushrooms are destroying angels like >>772533 said. They're extremely toxic to humans (I doubt frogs but I idk) and have no edible look-alikes so just steer clear.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.