[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Single bit or double bit? Explain your reasoning.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (438 KB, 1916x1076) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
438 KB, 1916x1076
Single bit or double bit?

Explain your reasoning.
>>
>>771641
single all the way. more useful tool, better ergos and you actually feel where the head is directed at..

double bit is kind of retarded, worse balance and all. in theory you need to sharpen it less frequently and that is supposedly a pro. so grind the two bits to different angle.
>>
>>771647
*some grind
>>
>>771647
the double bit is also heavier, which would be a plus for working lumbermen, opposed to your average self employed wildman
>>
>>771653
that's kinda bullshit if you want a heavier axe you get a heavier axe slight variations in size and profile will give you much heavier axes.
>>
>>771641
Single bit for camping, double bit for at home. Double bit is heavier and allows you to have two levels of sharpness, both of which I see as advantages for splitting. Although ideally I'd just use a maul for splitting and an axe for limbing/kindling, I just use what I have.
>>
>>771647

Double bits traditionally have two differently profiled edges, one for each side of the head.

You have your normal cutting edge that's sharpened fairly thin for chopping and then the other edge is usually a blunter, more chisel-like edge for use down near the ground if you're clearing brush/shrubs/whatever where you might hit a stone and would chip or dent a more delicate edge.
>>
>>771661
i know this i just don't buy it's usefulness or practicality. having something to hammer stuff in with is a huge pro on the other hand.
>>
>>771641
Single, with hammer poll.
>>
>>771641

Why not both? Therefore double bit.
>>
>>771656
thats not so true if you wish to retain the blade profile. length though does add to force
>>
>>771641
Definitely single, preferably the shorthand fallers style axe, get a nut welded to the back part of the top of it and you can hook it to your belt, the weight of it keeps it horizontal.
>>
Depends two bit if I am using it for framing and heavy use like splitting wood. single bit if I am carving a spoon or whatever. Really depends I tend to use both to be honest but if I am hiking I use a single bit.
>>
>>771641
a single bit axe is both an axe and a hammer.

For camping, I use my single side hatchet to drive tent stakes.
>>
>>771641
I don't think anyone that uses an axe has a double bit axe.
>>
>>771641
Obviously a double bit axe if you are a Viking warlord but, The single is clearly the way to go. Worst comes to worst you can just smash shrubs out of the ground.
>>
>>771641
Single, I don't hike with an axe, I cut firewood - so I'd rather take two axes for different tasks than swing a single heavier axe.
>>
File: pulaski.jpg (129 KB, 670x800) Image search: [Google]
pulaski.jpg
129 KB, 670x800
>>771661
>normal cutting edge that's sharpened fairly thin >other edge is usually a blunter, more chisel-like edge for use down near the ground if you're clearing brush/shrubs/whatever

that's why i own a pulaski. better for rooting.
>>
>>771661

I was always told the blunter edge was for sneding branches from felled trees.

>>771663

To be fair, it's a tool for felling trees, not spiting firewood.
>>
File: image.png (118 KB, 675x645) Image search: [Google]
image.png
118 KB, 675x645
>>
>>771737
you can even scale up the same profile it will be much heavier.
>>
>>771937
well i wouldn't pick a double for a single tool and i wouldn't bring two axes anywhere so that is why i say the things i say.
>>
>>771641
Single bit is superior unless you are a literal woodcutter and somehow don't own a chainsaw.
>>
>>771947
/thread
>>
>>771937
The butt end is typically useful for driving wedges. We're required to have one when cutting with crosscuts in case you get bound up. Of course its also useful for limbing. I do prefer a double bit myself otherwise, just in case I'm might dirt the good side.
>>
>>771947
mysides.jpg
>>
Double, one side with a thin grind angle for felling, and one with a fat grind for chopping. Cruiser sizes would be the best

The one in OP's pic is for competition throwing though, and would probably be shit
>>
>>771947
Lost lol

The only way to answer this question correctly is to know what it's going to be used for. There is an optimal tool for every job. Choose the ax that best fulfills the requirements.
>>
>>771641
Double. How is this a question?
WE
WUZ
VIKINGS!
>>
>>771641
i prefer a single bit since i drive stakes, poles, wedges for felling/bucking etc
>>
>>771641
It depends on the job you want to use the tool for.

>>771887
He didn't say rooting.
>>
File: 1456429896358.jpg (23 KB, 374x394) Image search: [Google]
1456429896358.jpg
23 KB, 374x394
>>771947
>>
File: 1463331435741.jpg (114 KB, 449x721) Image search: [Google]
1463331435741.jpg
114 KB, 449x721
>>773140
>It depends on the job you want to use the tool for.

>bawww the right tool for the job maymay
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.