[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking a trip to Gatlinburg in a few weeks to see the Smoky Mountains.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (747 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
747 KB, 1000x662
Taking a trip to Gatlinburg in a few weeks to see the Smoky Mountains. What are some good (moderate) hiking trails around the area? Any place off the beaten path that you'd recommend going to? Willing to travel roughly an hour out from Gatlinburg in all directions
>>
>>770815
hmmm you are lucky OP I was just there a month ago. if you are not camping stay at jack huffs, it is the best and cheapest hotel in the area

my favorite trail in the smoky mountain was the chimney tops trail, it is pretty short but quite difficult because you have to scramble up a rock face.

also definitely climb mt leconte. there are several different trail and I reccomend trying them all because there is so much different cool things to see along each route.

have fun!
>>
>>770815
Definitely check out the arts district in Gatlinburg. The crowd seems to stay downtown mostly.

If you stop by the welcome center at either end of town, they have a book with a list of some very good day hikes.

Chimney tops is beautiful even if you don't do the rock scramble at the end. My wife and I really like Rainbow Falls trail.
>>
>>770815

Charlie's Bunion of the AT

my girl and I visited back in March, absolutely stunning. backpacked off the AT
>>
>>770944
>my favorite trail in the smoky mountain was the chimney tops trail
>also definitely climb mt leconte
>>773636
>Charlie's Bunion of the AT

god...people. try giving some good advice for once. this is one of the most popular (excuse me, pardon me, excuse me, coming through, look out please, excuse me, get the hell out of my way...etc,etc.)
just pick up a trail map and drive to a trail head w/few cars and just go...you can thank me later.
>>
Cades cove. You'll thank me when you get there.
>>
File: IMG_1754.jpg (575 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1754.jpg
575 KB, 1600x1200
>>770815
Everything around Gatlinburg is pretty heavily traveled. Rainbow Falls, Chimney Tops, Alum Cave, are fun hikes. But you'll probably be sharing the trail with a lot of people. Also note that Alum cave is closed during to week for restoration work.
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/alum-cave-closure-faqs.htm

Gregory's Bald has some great views and usually isn't horribly busy. (pic related) Know that Cades Cove loop is closed to all but foot and bike traffic sunset to sunrise and till 10am on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Hiking Cades Cove loop after dark is a lot of fun. Great if you're there during a full/new moon or meteorite shower. Normally the loop is bumper to bumper traffic, but at nite, there's only a handful of people. Fewer the later/further you go.
>>
When you gonna be there OP? I'll be in Gatlinburg the week of July 18.
>>
>>777475
>Hiking Cades Cove loop after dark is a lot of fun.
is this now a thing? not saying its bad or anything, but are many doing it?
years ago walked to klingon's dong on the road one january with full moon/below zero temps/a few inches of snow and had a wonderful time away from the crowds that are present when the road is open.
>>
>>777475
>Gregory's Bald
do this when the azaleas are blooming.
it literally took my breath away, even after people telling me about it for years before going.
>>
>>770815
If you're in Gatlinburg in mid July, make sure to hit town when your throat is dry, have yourself a brew.
>>
>>777565
>Gregory's Bald
its great anytime.
when the blueberries are ripe, in the fall...well just anytime.
>>
File: Chimney Tops.jpg (4 MB, 2500x1875) Image search: [Google]
Chimney Tops.jpg
4 MB, 2500x1875
>>777560
I don't think many people walk the whole thing. Most just go to the first field to star gaze or turn at the first road they come to, so that they don't have to walk the full 11 miles. Walked it with my dog last year and the only other people we saw were 2 cyclists at the beginning. There are usually only about a half dozen cars parked in the lot. Probably a few more this time of year bc of the fireflys. But it's still not horrible like it is in the day time.
>>
>>770815
Ky guy here, just rent a bad ass cabin, indoor pool, hot tub, pool table, and shagg her rotten. We always get a group of people to pitch in and rent one for the weekends and it's always a blast. Been using Black Bear cabins last few times, good service. They some good jerky across from Uber Gatlinburg air lift thingy btw.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.