[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw someone recommending the Ontario 498 Marine Combat Knife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: 1463711113492.jpg (442 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
1463711113492.jpg
442 KB, 3000x2250
I saw someone recommending the Ontario 498 Marine Combat Knife in a knife thread the other day, anyone else know if this is a good knife? Planning a camping trip with some buddies soon and I'd like a good knife to have for cutting shit down and killing bears. This one is 50$ on Amazon.
>>
>>770787
Yeah its good

Would it be a noticeable improvement over a Mora? Not really, but it is cooler
>>
Get a kabar or RTAK II instead
>>
>>770787

Ontario makes solid products. The 498 is a good knife, not the "best" by any means for camping because of the rattail tang, but it works. I personally use the 498 marine combat as my camping knife. It's cheap enough that I can really use it and not worry about it and I just think kabars are damn cool.

>>770807

The Ontario is a bit cheaper than the Kabar brand knife, and has a superior phosphate coated blade opposed to the black painted kabar blade that really wears off easily.
>>
Noice anoither knoife throid
>>
>>770814
Sounds like I should just go with the 498 Ontario.
>>
File: knife_kabar_vietnam_01.png (54 KB, 270x353) Image search: [Google]
knife_kabar_vietnam_01.png
54 KB, 270x353
>>770814
>>770828
Ontario was one of the original manufacturers contracted by the feds to make the issued marine knife. Kabar became the meme brand but Ontario has all the same production methods/tooling as well.
>>
>>770828
if you want it for personal reasons rather than functional ones yea
>>
>>770787

care to explain why you insist on taking a combat knife outdoors, instead of a proper outdoor knife?
>>
File: disgust.jpg (32 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
32 KB, 620x400
>>770787
>Stick tang
>>
>>770787
You'll never use it but if you've got the money go ahead and get it. It's a cool toy to have.
>>
>>771240
I never go to the woods without using my knife. People that say you will never use it just never leave the trail.
>>
>>771245
Still no reason to use a combat knife instead of a bushcraft knife.
>>
>>771249
My kabar was god tier for batoning and chopping. Sure, I don't brutalize my combat knife anymore because I do in fact have a better knife(RTAK II best knife on earth) but that doesn't mean it isn't very good at doing that job.
>>
>>771245
I mean a combat knife. What are you doing with your knife that couldn't be done with a standard folder? If you have a good reason, fine. I'm just saying you're definitely in the minority.
>>
>>771259
Well hello there, Jon Snow. Guess what.
>>
>>771265
Who is jon snow breh
>>
>>771269
You mean you don't know?
>>
>>771245
nah he means its a shitty knife that you should never use outside of the house. big boy
>>
>>771276
It isnt that bad. Kabars arent full tang as I assume this ontario isnt either. When you bend the blade just bend it back. Been trying to break my kabar for 15 years and no luck at all. Most knives will do any job, don't be a gear fag. Tools are only as good as the person using them.

>>771271
I do not
>>
>>771285
>I do not

That's the joke.

You know nothing, Jon snow. Saying the kabar is a god-tier bushknife is some next level ignorance.
>>
>>771297
>i have to know who jon snow is to be able to live in the woods

Oh good lord man
Holy god
Bahahahaha

Didnt think i could piss myself from laughter

Thanks
>>
>>771322
Not sure if serious, or trolling.

I was taking a jab at how you are cluelesd if you think kabar is a god-tier woods knife.

Jon snow is known for being equally clueless. Get it now?
>>
>>771333
I googled jon snow. Some game of thrones crap?

No. I am one of the most skilled outdoorsman on the planet. I can confidently say that I am anybodies best friend in the woods. I have been doing primitive survival for extended periods of time for over 25 years. Kabar is a wonderful knife for any job. It is a great middle ground tool. You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>771356
Alright Jon, you win this one.
>>
>>770787

Get one of the ka bar beckers...like the bk16 or 15.

Good tang, not Xbox huge, good steel, doesn't cost that much.
>>
>>770840

So what?

Dont you know the military get's all the cheaper / worse shit?

You think they got the contract based on their extreme quality?
>>
>>771356

Looks like you have a fucking A masyer class diploma from the dunning-kruger school of bushcraft and survival (meaning you're clueless as fuck, and too clueless to realise how clueless you are).
>>
>>771979
fuck its the dunning kruger guy again. dont you know you are obviously as clueless as you purport others are
>>
>>772268

Tell me again how the kabar is good for anything other than government issue to expendable troops.

You autists defending your "battle tested bushknives" are fucking hilarious.
>>
Ka-Bar has a better fit and finish. Polished leather handle, "nicer" sheath and shit like that.

>>773099
>Tell me again how the kabar is good for anything other than government issue to expendable troops.
In the same way other knives are.

Ontario has a tough zinc phosphate coating.

There is no difference in actual use.
>>
>zinc coating doesn't do shit

get whichever one you wawnt, jaysus

they're all too big to comfortably pare or gut anything anyway

KA-BAR mark 1 is the knife i use for nearly everything.

7 inch knives are too big to even clean durr - you really only need a 3.5" blade for that.

5" mark 1 is the perfect size for most camp tasks. solid weight and comfy leather sheath, no military branding on it, will take a sharp edge, well balanced, etc.

just to show you how little it matters, my dad has used the same buck spine-lock folder for the past 30 years and has never had a problem with it. every competent outdoorsman knows that a knife is primarily a cutting tool. so, get something that fits in your hand well and you can maneuver easily when you're forearm deep in guts.

bunch of yuppies here that have never actually been outdoors. after 2 outings you realize batoning wood is a sucker's game that should be left to people who made emergency landings in the alaska bush and had literally no other way to do it. even collecting deadwood is less tiring than batoning wood.

bottom line:
it is my opinion that posters on this board make a huge deal out of trying to find one tool to do everything in the woods and then use muh bushcraft skills to compensate for the tool's shortcomings.

instead, listen to what experienced campers have to say: 90% of the time you just collect fallen branches for firewood anyway. if you need to cut them to length you use a folding saw; why do you think human's invented saws? because they're way easier to use than an axe or a knife

there is no do-it-all knife. the smart money is on a medium size knife and a saw. the less smart money is on a folding knife and a hatchet.
>>
File: CM6TGB.jpg (203 KB, 800x799) Image search: [Google]
CM6TGB.jpg
203 KB, 800x799
Finally found it. After thousands of euros spent.

My master.

My guiding moonlight.
>>
>>776909

Been wanting that black one. I only ever see the other color for sale.
>>
>>776913

Knifecenter and Blade HQ have them in USA

If you're in Europe, Heinnie Haynes still has some, but they've increased the price for some reason since I bought it.

100% worth it.
>>
>>771356
Hahahahaha could this be a new copypasta
>>
>>777307

could be, but there's a better one here:
>>773988
>>
>>777309
forgot to add - this tantrum is about bk2 being in the top 10 survival knives.
>>
>>770787
redneck shiieet
>>
>>777309
Oh wow that is amazing. Thanks for linking bro
>>
File: 1462823042642.gif (485 KB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1462823042642.gif
485 KB, 193x135
>>770818
>Throid
It's pronounced "thread" even in straya
>>
>>770840
I can hear "fortunate son" playing
>>
File: witnessed.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
witnessed.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>777333
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.