[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quechua and budget camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: quechua.jpg (503 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
quechua.jpg
503 KB, 1200x630
So what are /out/s opinions on Quechua brand? They seem like one of those brands that are dirt cheap, but not because they save up on materials. Don't get me wrong, I have some good gear too, but I don't really feel like it's worth taking with for weekend drinking trips in the wild.

Also budget camping thread I guess... would love to know some other options except thrifft shop.
>>
>>769905
Yeah it's basically shit quality knock offs on 50% of the real deal, which is imo overpriced since in my experience they don't last half as long as the real brand equivalent. I'd rather buy even cheaper other off brands or milsurp shit for drinking trips. Only quechua stuff that is simple in design is worth its money, like ccf pads or cooking pots, microfiber towel, baselayers or maybe a tarp and stuff like that. Their other stuff is mostly over designed to look "technical" for the casuals, with too many components of poor quality, so its gonna fall apart if you plan on doing anything more serious than casual shit... for this reason casuals just love it, it really is a goldmine, the ikea of the sports stores. You can definitely they focus on casuals by the cut of their garments, it's designed for fat people, if you go past M you only get bigger in circumference and nothing in length, if you are +1,80 m and athletic built it is impossible to buy any pants or jacket there.

I have to add i do like some of the decathlon mountaineering brand "Simond". It's typically priced at 75% of mid range brand equivalent but the quality is basically the same in my experience.
>>
>>769905
>>769921
Almost everything I've read says that Quechua stuff is decent. The few things I have from Decathlon are fine.
>>
>>769905
Since it's hard as fuck to find decent /out/ stores here I by many things from Decathlon and can onlg say good things about them.

>10°c sleeping bag
Almost three years now and many trips, holding fine.

>Hiking shoes with their name brand goretex type
They've almost 200km on them, so far no problems whatsoever. Only a shoe lace almost gone because I burned it in a fire.

> 3 person tent
I go a nice deal on it and served me fine but it's only for car camping because it's too heavy. Last year it was under heavy rain and zero leaking.

>Lots of small miscellaneous small gear
They do well for the money.

>1.5l metal water bottle
The only thing I don't like and regret having bought it. The mouth it pretty small and it's quite heavy, then again was like 6€ so no harm done.

To resume
>Pros
>Cheap
>Good overall quality
>The store waranty works fine
>Free shiping and nice discounts on already low priced gear

>Cons
>Most of the clothes and some gear are not that good looking for those who prize looks as the most important thing when /out/.
>They replace any type of proprietary element with their name brand similar. So no goretex and similar stuff available.

In general 8/10. I'll keep buying their stuff.
>>
>>769990
>Hey Fred, kids at 4chan are talking shit about us, go do some damage control
>>
>>769973
Fucking casual quechua shill

>>769990
>10°c sleeping bag
I have a lafuma active 45 which is the same price as my borthers quechua same rated sleeping bag but it outperforms my brothers quechua forclaz 15 in weight, temp rating and durability/finish

>Hiking shoes with their name brand goretex type
200 km is barely 10 walks, bet they'll fall apart in another 100 km, that's how's it went with my quechua trail runners

> 3 person tent
> car camping

> Lots of small miscellaneous small gear
All the fucking gimmicks they tricked me in buying broke down after a couple of days out, including a spork, two torches and a compass.

> 1.5l metal water bottle
I got the 1l one as a gift, like you said it sucks

>They replace any type of proprietary element with their name brand similar. So no goretex and similar stuff available.
To add; their equivalent performs less, as i can see with my brothers jacket

>Most of the clothes and some gear are not that good looking for those who prize looks as the most important thing when /out/.
To add; they have a bad cut which is also not practical, unless you are fat or a manlet

> My brothers both had different self inflating pads which were done for pretty fast, one had the inner glue fucked up and the foam got loose from the shell material, and the other leaked slowly at the valve.

I really feel if you do some research you can get away cheaper or better quality, especially if you look online.

>>769993
lol
>>
Here in France Quechua is a pretty big thing, and to be honnest I always loved this brand for they bring technical gear to poor people.

Everyone knows you can find better gear than Quechua's, but at least everyone can now buy a pair of hiking boots for 30€.
And if you put the price you'll actually get awesome gears by Quechua. My hiking boots are 150€ (170$) so not as cheap as the usual Quechua thingy but they're freaking good.
>>
>>769905
quechua is life.

have 200€ boots but bought the 15€ hiking shoes for walking +100km in summer. Never tried them on before. Not a single blister or any other problem.

shitty 5€ hiking shorts, perfectly fine after +6 years

cooking pot+pan+bowl+fork and spoon - 7€, fine after +4 years

5000 mm waterproof jacket - 20€

Some stuff like climbing rope I wouldn't trust doe. Decathlon is good for basic and normally overpriced stuff, but who the fuck would trust their life with their stuff
>>
>>769905
>They seem like one of those brands that are dirt cheap, but not because they save up on materials.

Yes the do.
It's fucking shit, every single thing they do.

There's litteraly not a single purchase of this brand I haven't regretted.
>>
File: eww, no dude.jpg (15 KB, 564x331) Image search: [Google]
eww, no dude.jpg
15 KB, 564x331
>>769990
>10°c sleeping bag
>mfw

how limited are your /out/ings that you can get away with such a shit rated bag? or do you live in addis ababa and just need something to sleep on top?
>>
>>770165
Not everyone lives in northen Europe or North America. Summer/mid Spring/ early Autumn almost never gets bellow 10° here. We're having a few shitty days and the lower temperatures during the night are 12/13/14°c. Feels good.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.