[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: inuit man hunt bear.jpg (76 KB, 634x520) Image search: [Google]
inuit man hunt bear.jpg
76 KB, 634x520
How does one even start getting into hunting? I live in SoCal so I've never even seen a civilian with a gun let alone someone hunting. I feel like without family or friends who hunt it's extremely difficult to get into.
>>
>>769852
Well you should start with fishing then, then like buy a gun... then let nature take its course
>>
>>769852
I had the same problem when I started hunting. No family to teach me.

Start by doing research on techniques. Read books about hunting and animal behavior, watch videos on YouTube, learn how to gut and clean your game once you catch it, learn how to cook it.

Once you have some book smarts, buy a .22 (savage MKII is an affordable and extremely accurate rifle. Buy a Nikon Rimfire scope as well) and start small game hunting. Start with squirrels and rabbits and stick to that until you are comfortable and efficient in processing your kills.

Good luck
>>
>>769852
That pic has to be staged.
>>
>>769953
You don't think the Inuit can kill bears? Do you think they're all slaves to bears who order them about with impunity?
>>
>>770249
kek no, but those three little arrows? How did he shot those two in the chest?
>>
>>770282
Ambush. He probably left a pile of seal guts out on the ice and build a hide. When the bear showed up they put an arrow into its side and either stalked it while it bled out or ran like hell and hoped it's partner had a shot. The second arrow was most likely shot after it stopped moving to make sure it was dead.
>>
>>770399
Was this common practice amongs the inuit or are you armchairing the way you would do it?
>>
>>770443
Not him, but that's pretty much how we bow hunt bears today but not necessarily with the bait.
>>
>>770443

im armchairing right now but most things the inuit hunt have thick layers of fat protecting them, which probably explains the size of that bow
>>
>>770501
I had no idea. In fact I know nothing about bow hunting.

>>770544
Yes. Makes sense. Thanks anon.
>>
>>770443
Baiting with gut piles was one of the ways Inuit would hunt polar bears. Growing up in the interior of Alaska you learn all sorts of stuff.

Also if OP is still around and you want to get into hunting take a hunters ed class and maybe look into hiring a guide. Depending on where you are most guides will be happy to takeep first time hunters out and show them the ropes.
>>
>>769852
Had the same problem as a fellow SoCal bro. Well minus the lack of guns, got plenty of those. Take a hunters ed course, you'll have to do that no matter what anyway. Chat with people in that class, always a chance that you'll make a friend and have a hunting buddy.

I started off with hunting pheasant, then I graduated to deer. Hoping to go for elk this year or next, depends if/when I get a tag. Going with a guide is the easiest option, but its usually pretty expensive.

Also bear in mind that you'll probably spend many hours out in the woods in a tree stand or blind, or stalking about in the woods looking for appropriate game (which is harder, but more fun than stand/blind hunting) so learn patience. Also consider that you might need to go a few times before you bag a good animal.
>>
Looking at buying an air rifle for hunting small game (gun laws are anal here)

What are the pros and cons between choosing between:
.22 - 722 fps
.177 - 1000 fps
>>
>>771912
I hunted deer for a couple years before I got my first. So yeah, be patient.

The enjoyment is in the hunt/stalk, even if you don't get anything.
>>
>>772303
also, as a beginner, is it worth starting out with an air rifle (that I don't need a gun licence for) or should I just go through the hoops and get a gun licence and a proper gun?
>>
>>772318
With a .22 you can hunt wabbits the whole year, whitout a licence but being sensible about it. A lot of people will get spooked if they see you stalking with a rifle and will call the cops on you.
>>
>>769852
Where u from? I also want to get into hunting and am pretty much clueless. Could use a partner to get wierd with. I.E. Riverside reporting in.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.