[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Big knives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: kukri.jpg (13 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
13 KB, 600x400
What are /out/'s throughts on using machetes or kukris? Is there any reason to buy/use them outside the jungle and in a place like New England?
>>
Who keeps making this thread, and why?

Sheddies and kukris are of limited actual bush use unless you have lots of slashing and slicing to do (i.e. a jungle or clearing prickers and brambles from your leachfield). A kukri has a little more chopping power but even then it's not a great difference from a heavy sheddy. Why is it so hard to discern which tools are and aren't right for the job at hand? Fuksaik
>>
File: IMG_3350.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3350.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>769657
>Why is it so hard to discern which tools are and aren't right for the job at hand?
Probably because you obviously have never used a kukri.
>>
File: logos-aba.png (20 KB, 265x259) Image search: [Google]
logos-aba.png
20 KB, 265x259
>>769672
you could do that with a sheddy as well, it doesn't mean it's the right tool for the jerb. they're still better at slashing than chopping.

also i'll have you know i'm a black belt in Bando and have had extensive training in combat with a kukri so I'm quite intimately familiar with them. i certainly wouldn't take it choppin' if i had a choice.
>>
isn't bushwacking totally at odds with 'leave no trace'?
>>
File: geeps_kh.png (23 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps_kh.png
23 KB, 261x195
>>769690
yes
>>
>>769690

Good job LNT is a completely flawed concept.
>>
>>769711
How exactly?
>>
>>769833
How does a hunter leave no trace? Isn't gathering even dead firewood leaving a trace?
>>
>>769652
Oh look, a knife thread. How rare.
>>
>>769833

It's too broad and encompassing, it tries to boil everything down to a few rules which very often don't apply. For inexperienced hikers that lack common sense who are hiking high traffic trails, LNT is pretty handy. For everyone else common sense and following local rules is a better idea.
>>
File: 8168ypI7izL._SL1500_.jpg (96 KB, 1500x946) Image search: [Google]
8168ypI7izL._SL1500_.jpg
96 KB, 1500x946
this is the right tool for the job if your in typical north american forest
>>
>>769881

Going to need a better explanation that that
>I'm better than everyone else
Nope.jpg
>>
>>769711
>>769847

>being this obtuse
like omg I'm breathing in the forest and using up the oxygen is that lnt?

>>769881
>local rules
>pretty much the same as lnt
can't imagine local rules being opposite to lnt.. Hey guys please dump your trash everywhere, you're welcome!!

>>769657
Yea khukris and machetes are totally different tools.
>>
>>769889
>can't imagine local rules being opposite to lnt.. Hey guys please dump your trash everywhere, you're welcome!!

Littering is bad? I never knew! thx LNT xD

see:

>common sense

>can't imagine local rules being opposite to lnt

Well they are, to name a few:

>Leave rocks, plants and other natural objects as you find them
Foraging is permitted, there are even information signs on edible plants.

> Do not build structures, furniture, or dig trenches
The scouts and annual school camps build shelters and crude furniture and there is fuck all wrong with that.

>Keep fires small. Only use sticks from the ground that can be broken by hand.
Big fires keep you warm, especially larger groups and they are totally permitted.
>>
>>769652

a 9 to 11 inch knife is the ultimate outdoors tool.

You can get more specific but never as versatile.

I'd take a big knife to one of those tv shows where they drop you off naked in an undisclosed location.

Othewise specialization is usually what everyone does.

When in doubt, do as the locals. If there are no locals, big knife.
>>
>>769889
You either leave traces or you don't you idiot
>>
>>769652
It's good to have a machete for clearing brush around your house or whatever. That's about it.
>>
>>769652
you knife should never be bigger than your penis
>>
>>770204
Can you post a 2" knife?
>>
>>770247
anon you seriously need enlargement surgery.
but there are 2" blades a lot of them.
>>
>>770253
>seriously need enlargement surgery
no he doesn't. his penis is perfectly adequate to satisfy a 5yr old boy.
>>
>>769881
You are not special. LNT is a great guideline for everyone who's in the outdoors recreationally with modern equipment. At the very least you will minimize your impact. A hunter can still camp according to LNT principals and only violate them when he fires. This is what adults call a reasonable and universally applicable approach.
>>
>>770255
is that shit even legal?
>>
>>770262
you can't fuck kids anon and if you have to ask then you shouldn't be on the innanet >:|

pænus-enlargement surgery is legal tho, and probably relatively common
>>
>>769885
Ive never seen something like that before, it seems like an awesome design with that billhook on the back. Do you have one? If so what do you think of it? Why doesn't the edge run the length of the blade itself?
>>
>>770450
>woodmans pal
>>
>>770459
Wow i feel a bit of a cunt not knowing what that was
>>
GET AN RTAK II FROM ONTARIO
>>
>>770585
fuck off shill I remember you from the last thread
>>
>>770599

Ontario, CRKT and Morakniv actively shill on 4chan
>>
>>770605
Yup, doesn't mean I can't call them ineffectual pathetic faeces, tho.

There are hardly any production big knives that I'd consider buying.
>>
>>770611
The RTAK II is the best knife on the planet and fuck anybody that disagrees how could you guys be so stupid to not buy this tool
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.