[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to start solo weekend camping, but I'm kind of afraid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: campingUnderTheStars590.jpg (112 KB, 590x393) Image search: [Google]
campingUnderTheStars590.jpg
112 KB, 590x393
I want to start solo weekend camping, but I'm kind of afraid of the dark. What can I do?

I'm not like terrified of nighttime, but if I walk back from the kitchen to my bedroom at night with all the lights off, I sometimes get the willies and have to walk very briskly to make it back! I guess the solution is to just go to bed as soon as it gets dark and try to sleep through it. I've camped before, but always with other people, and nearby to a cabin.

Am I crazy, or just a wuss? Does it get easier to hang out alone in a dark forest with experience? Quite honestly, this is the one thing keeping me from regularly going for overnight adventures on the weekends.
>>
Camp on clear nights with a full moon. Sometimes it's almost like day.
>>
>>769553
>just a wuss
You already have the answer
>>
I've been camping for the last 17 years. recently started solo trips. remember at night everything is awful quiet, so a small bird or even a decent-sized beetle stepping on dry leaves will sound like a witch about to make anonymous guacamole. If a stag makes some noise 5km away, it'll sound like 12m from you. Calm down. seriously, the silence might be overwhelming. it gets easier with experience, but from time to time but I still freak out a bit, it's normal.
Nothing beats going out of the tent in the morning, whenever you want, being the master of your kingdom, without having to deal with someone else's bad breath next to you.
>>
Best way to do it is to just throw yourself into it, unless you're so scared that it's possible you'll have an anxiety attack out there.

But if your fear is more mild than that, just do it. Hike in during the day, and once the sun sets you'll be stuck. The more you do it the more you'll get used to it. Take some benzos or some melatonin with you to help you fall asleep if you need it.
>>
>>769654
>benzos
>>
lmao pussy
>>
>>769654
Yeah, don't medicate yourself, bad choice i would say. Though he has a point, just throw yourself into it. My best advice would be careful. If there is bears, bring something to deal with that, maybe a gun.
I live in Europe, what i bring is a big ass light and i have my stupid big knife at hand. The light is very useful for if you hear something and you are uncertain of it coming closer to you, use the light and look for eyes. If you are very uneasy yell or just simply talk to it, sing, humm, whistle, whatever. Also, the animal sounds bigger than it is, a small dear sounds like something 80-100kg at night. Hear some radio and keep your mind busy.
The only thing though is do it and get comfortable with the night.
>>
File: 20160512_202424.jpg (2 MB, 2340x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160512_202424.jpg
2 MB, 2340x2988
>>769553
I wish I could give you tips. I'm trying to get over the same fear tomorrow in the desert. Hopefully we can make it through the night lol
>>
>>769553
I now them feels bra
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.