[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /out/, I want to hike to the deep end of nowhere and build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
Dear /out/, I want to hike to the deep end of nowhere and build a raft to return home. There will be two-three male-female pairs of us. We can bring cordage, saws, axes, etc, and are planning to chop down trees on the spot or use dead ones. Temperate, swampy region, minimal civilization (less than Deliverance), it'll either be lightly flooded or dried out.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>
>>769012

What river?
>>
Also we could drop by a lumbermill for wood but we'll have to haul it for 15 km through woods.
>>
>>769014
Not very wide or deep, quite mellow. No rapids, slow current.
>>
So anyway, what I'm so far planning to do is, get four deflated dump truck tires. Carry them to the river, have girls inflate them. Meanwhile me and the other guy will find dead wood, saw/chop it into more or less plank-like objects, and tie it on top of the inflated tubes.
>>
>>769012
A lot of wood isn't very buoyant so know the best sorts of wood to be using for your local area.
>>
>>769053
You're probably going to puncture the tubes by tying a bunch of splintery dead wood and sticks on them
>>
>>769053
You aren't going to get deflated tires. You are going to get tubes. Get patch kits also.

You aren't going to make planks. Trust me. I've tried to hand-hew planks from logs. It's fucking insanely hard.

You would have to make a very large raft to support four to six people.
>>
>>769012
>chop down trees on the spot
Fuck you and your Huck Finn cosplay
>>
>>769012
Bring a few pallets, preferably those double-size ones, and empty plastic jerrycans, big ones. Take some rope and lash the jerrycans to the pallets. Lash the pallets together, and you now have a large, stable raft.
>>
>>769012
>planning to chop down trees on the spot

Go six months to a year in advance and slash the trees you are planning on using, green wood is shit for raft building. Also, you will need a big ass raft considering 6 people + gear will weigh you close to or over 1000lbs, and you will need room to move around. How long do you plan on being out? On rivers it seems like it would be a quick trip, but often times it takes ages because the river only moves a couple miles per hour. For example, rafting the Mississippi takes months.

I would make sure of the laws in your area, cause nothing ruins a trip like Johnny DNR giving you a ticket when you get downstream on a raft made of illegally harvested logs.

Also have very concrete and agreed on plans for the raft before you go, tempers can flare when you try to freestyle diy any large project, especially when it's a large group with little experience.
>>
File: 100_0161.jpg (2 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
100_0161.jpg
2 MB, 3072x1728
>>769012
Did it, Done it here's some hints:

Know the boating laws for your area.

Make sure to buy pfd's for everyone onboard and have a couple of throw types as well. boogie boards work well for this and also for lounging on around camp.

All passengers should learn to use a throw rope in a rescue situation. google that shit and learn it just in case shit goes bad.

We use airline tubes, theyr prone to puncture eventually so bring a patch kit and a pump in the kit box. the tubes work better with a cordura cover on them, which they sell for pleasure crafts and you can adapt to your needs, they also makes strapping the tubes together much easier.

get a dedicated first aid bin, and be thorough. Do they have snakes on this particular river? sunburns, bug bites, cuts, ect..

Pool noodles but a dozen of them. A rafting guide recommended this to me and they were invaluable for so many things on the river.

To cover the tubes use 1x6 pine planks treated with spar with 2" webbing screwed to the planks to join them all.

plastic bins. ziplocks. 5 gallon buckets with screw tops. dry bags. All work fine on the river.

water filter. solar trickle charger. sun shower. waterproof cell phone case, I highly recommend lifeproof cases.

A deep cycle battery and a cheap trolling motor are optional but sometimes very helpful when dealing with headwinds in following current
>>
Well, I built me a raft and she's ready for floatin'
Ol' Mississippi, she's callin' my name
Catfish are jumpin'
That paddle wheel thumpin'
Black water keeps rollin' on past just the same
Old black water, keep on rollin'
Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.