[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any experience with esbit fuel? Seems like a good alternate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 236x214
Any experience with esbit fuel?

Seems like a good alternate to propane and other liquid fuels, maybe saving some space in my pack. But each one only lasts 12 mins which may cause some obstacles

Just looking for a cheap, small alternate to fires for cooking meals, ive gotten screwed by the rain for the last time
>>
>>767274
Alcohol stoves, have you tried them?
>>
they suck, they are hard as fuck to light even with a lighter, they dry up if the super thin foil i punctured, they smell fucking nasty as hell. dont burn very good either actually, ..
>>
>>767276
No ive only cooked with fires while /out/ before

Seems at first glance that solid fuel is cheaper and more compact then alcohol, and more durable. Alcohol stoves always striked me as really easy to break
>>
File: TRANGIA Burner.jpg (40 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
TRANGIA Burner.jpg
40 KB, 400x300
>>767294
get a trangia burner, its is just a chunk of bass basically,
>>
>>767297
So you just fill that with alcohol and your good to go eh

Seems good enough. Whats it like cooking with these things do they give off alot of heat or would it take awhile to heat somrthing up? I cook anything from a can of beans to frying a fish
>>
>>767293
I've never had any of the problems you mention with my chink trangia knockoff.

>>767300
Yes you can cook whatever you want. Do a yt search. Also, denatured alcohol is cheaper than the esbit fuel in the long run.
>>
Try some firecord.
>>
>>767294
>solid fuel is more efficient
That's why NASA uses it.
>>
>>767294
>Seems at first glance that solid fuel is cheaper and more compact then alcohol, and more durable.

>>767338
>solid fuel is more efficient
That's why NASA uses it.

No.

Solid fuel is easier to transport and is safer. That's it. On every other aspect, liquid beats it (Okay maybe not in energy density, but if you care for energy density, you'd carry logs and burn wood)
>>
>>767373
>energy density
nigga this is exactly what I'm talking about.
>>
>>767274

I like solid fuel tabs for starting fires in the backyard. Despite what someone said, I find they light very easy and they don't smell. Not sure I'd try to cook anything on them though.
>>
>>767318
I know i can cook anything i want to know if its feasable. If it takes half an hour to fry a couple fillets then its not realy worth the hassle
And i know fuel is reasonably cheap its just the initial cost. Although i didnt know an option as cheap as the trangia was on the market, like i said im totally new to these stoves

One huge downside i see from reviews though is the fact that it burns for about 15 mins then has to be refilled, but only after letting it cool for a few minutes. Can you really expect to cook any decent meal on this? Is there a larger option for big groups?
>>
>>767488
>One huge downside i see from reviews though is the fact that it burns for about 15 mins then has to be refilled

Not at all. I made a couple out of redbull cans and they gave me 20 min tops (2"x2"). Now my trangia copy paste (it's an alocs), I don't know because I've never filled it to the top. But I can boil 1lt of water, and make spaguetti with it without having to refill it.

You have to be somewhat concious of what you are doing tho. Block the wind, try to isolate it from the ground if it's cold, etc. And no you don't have to let it cool to start it again. Just add more alcohol and light it up. In fact the proper way to use them is to prime them first.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.