[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hicks and fish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
>ONE NIGHT LATE last month, three drunken idiots

Kek you know this is gonna be good already

>thought it would be a great idea to go off-roading in one of the world’s most carefully protected conservation sites. They brought a shotgun, which one of them used to obliterate the locks securing two gates and the motion sensors that otherwise would have kept them well away from Devils Hole, a deep, warm pool that is home to a critically endangered fish.

How do you feel about this, /out/?
>>
>>766331

Full article: http://www.wired.com/2016/05/devils-hole-pupfish-just-cant-catch-break/

And they got caught: https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/devils-hole-vandals-identified.htm
>>
Just leave the Puppers alone!
>>
>>766331
Should get the maximum fine and mandatory ecology classes.
>>
File: meh.jpg (5 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5 KB, 272x185
>These tiny blue-silver Devils Hole pupfish live nowhere else but here, in this one spot in Death Valley National Park.
>At last count, in April, just 115 remained

so why do we care? they're obviously an evolutionary dead end that is going extinct soon regardless, and there will be absolutely no ecological impact beyond the flood hippie tears when they do.
>>
>>766357
while I do generally agree, I find the idea of intentionally killing them just because to be a rebel fairly abhorrent.
>>
>>766357
How do you know the fish and only this fish doesn't produce some enzyme that may be the cure for AIDS one day?
>>
>>766365
All organic compounds can be copied synthetically
>>
File: unsafe area.png (85 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
unsafe area.png
85 KB, 270x187
>>766365
>pharmaceutical companies
>allowing cures for cash cows
>mfw

that'd be a quicker death sentence for those fish than any drunk redneck could muster
>>
>>766370
You need an original before you copy something...
>>
>>766331
>Pupfish 9/11
Seriously though, conservation is important guys
>>
>>766357
>killing these fish is ok because they're of no impact anyway

Are you a pupfish too then, anon?
>>
>>766411
"ok" is a value judgement. it's simply inconsequential
>>
>>766365
Curing aids? Kill it faster, I hate faggots
>>
>>766331
As long as they ate them and weren't just catching them for fun it's okay.
Exotic foods can be very good.
>>
>>766357
You can get as morally relativistic as you like but at a certain point I think most people can agree that in general killing an entire species of something isn't a good thing to do.
>>
>>766333
>blocks adblockers

Well, fuck those fish then.
>>
>>766357
Neither do virgins like you yet we let you live
>>
>>766423
So I take it you're in favor of euthanasia for the mentally ill too, then?
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>766575
bullshit. if we were down to a 115 of a species of fly that only lived in one room i think most people would smash them all without a second though. but pupfish are cute, so we spend millions of tax dollars attempting to save something that nature is trying to get rid of.
>>
>>766608
Just like how virgins such as yourself just only stay in their room?
>>
>>766602
>>766617
wow, resorting to ad hominims already? thank you for so quickly admitting that you don't have a valid argument and conceding that i'm correct. :)
>>
>>766628
Don't worry my NEET friend, I'm sure when the exterminators come they'll put you out of our misery quick and painlessly
>>
>>766628
>>766357
Your opinion isn't an argument point anon.
>>
>>766628

That's the most fedora thing I've heard all day
>>
>>766608
>nature is trying to get rid of

Eh I was with you up until this. Nature isn't the culprit in the extinction of the pupfish. We have ourselves to thank for that.

Inb4 we are nature
>>
>>766680
i wasn't speaking literally, like nature has a motive. it was just a turn of phrase.
>>
the fact of the matter is, it brings attention to the fact that most humans have awful self control. why couldnt they have just not gone in there? is it that much to ask? they went through so much trouble to go to some watering hole where they new a rare species was out of what, spite of the fact they werent allowed to? Its pitiful how little respect people have for anything but their immediate social groups.
>>
>>766596
kek, you are me.
>>
>>766693
>most humans
These are the exception, not the rule.
>>
>>766810
I dunno. Most people will do shit like this if they're in a large group. Mob mentality or any amount of authority over them will turn most humans into shits.
>>
>>766596
>>766803

I'm using Adblock on Chrome and was able to see both articles with no problems
>>
>>766818
>most people

Fuck this gets thrown around way too much and usually as a way of globalising personal experiences
>>
>>766608
>something that nature is trying to get rid of.
No
That would be the farmers who lowered the water table
>>
>>766877
see >>766685
>>
>>766331

I just realised... why the fuck did they put the information sign *behind* the fence?
>>
>>766375

Are you kidding? They'd GM them, patent the gene and then make double the money. If anything it'd probably save their asses, at least until they found a way to replicate the useful chemical artificially.
>>
>>766628
t. High School Sophomore
>>
>>767024
Either the fence was added later, or it was simply to prevent people degrading or stealing it, because this shit fucking happens.
>>
>>767040

>O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain...
>>
>>766436
Unfortunately good people get the aids too. By that I mean nurses and cops that deal with them and get accidentally stuck with used needles.
>>
>>767052
Nurses = faggots > heroin victims >>> cops > heroin dealers > whoever criminalized drugs in the first place
>>
>>767063
t. edgy middle schooler
>>
>>766357
I hope you stub your toe
>>
>>767079
That's weak shit m8. Stepping on a Lego is the way to go.
>>
>>766856
There's actually a feature you can use with Chrome to prevent the anti-adblocker scripts. Firefox doesn't have one that works. The people making the chrome one made it for firefox but Greasemonkey when AFK and that was that.

Enjoy your botnet.
>>
>>767242

>botnet
>>>/g/
>>
>>766628
It's not an ad hominem if they are straight insulting you.
>>
>>766602

Kek

#rekt
>>
>>766357
This. The problem is many people will not give a shit until something is critically endangered and obviously not going to survive, then dump millions of dollars on a lost cause but won't spend the money to preserve healthy ecosystems and species elsewhere.
>>
shoot them
>>
>>769639
The fish never ever lived anywhere else. That's why they're so interesting.
>>
>>771503
No, at some point they or the derived species had greater range, which shrank to that size. Not in any human's lifetime, mind.

In this case, it doesn't sound like they actually spent all that much money to try to keep them alive. I'm being a faggot and generalizing from things like the frogs they installed a sprinkler system for that ended up only existing in captivity anyway.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.