[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 20160411_081139.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160411_081139.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Alright so /existential crisis/ here. I've decided I'm going to take a boat or canoe or something very far for a very long time

I've got a decent idea on the gear I would need I was more curious about the best waterways to do this with. I want to be on the water for at least 6 months, and I am not going for ocean travel, I would prefer to stay within America.

As my transportation will likely be a canoe I would like to avoid as many rapids and waterfalls as possible.
>>
Plz respond
>>
bad idea dude. just have some beer and wait for it to all blow over
>>
>>766374
I quit drugs and alcohol.

No dude sounds like a great idra really and I'm going to do this regardless of the outcomr of this thread. I already found a good route because I figured you guys would try to discourage me.

Post helpful tips or gtfo
>>
>>766321
I've thought this would be a cool idea as well, but don't know where you could find 6 months of canoeable travel. Why not do one of the long distance trails some guys do, like the Pacific coast trail or the Appalachian trail? Easier to get resupplied like that as well
>>
>>766321
GREAT LAKES
R
E
A
T

L
A
K
E
S

I mean, if you get through locks and all that shit, isn't it possible to get from NYC or somewhere on the NE Atlantic Coast and through the lakes and eventually hit the Mississippi and the Gulf?
>>
>>766515
Found a route that goes from oregon to florida that takes about 8 months. I have no intentions to resupply at any point.

>>766517
Yeah, the tombigee river
>>
>>766321
where is your starting point?
>>
>>766546
The route im looking at right now starts in astoria oregon but id probably push off a little past portland because portland is ugly and i dont want to canoe past it

Considering other routes though this is just the first one i saw that goes 5000 miles through america
>>
>>766321
Seek professional counseling. Get some help for your problems. Once you have that under control and it is not making the decision for you, decide for yourself what you want to do. You don't want to drag your problems with you, anon, they weigh too much.
>>
>>766652
Leave thread. Thanks. Am perfectly calm and collected. Alternative definitions of what fulfills a life does not constitute counseling, America should not be a re-education camp.
>>
File: rivermap.gif (12 KB, 495x326) Image search: [Google]
rivermap.gif
12 KB, 495x326
>>766321
Got ya covered OP. This is what I want to do. Yellowstone to Louisiana
>>
>>766517
>this
>>
>>766533
Well, if it's anyhting like Lewis and Clark did, there are some mountains to deal with.

The CT river is nice. It's not a 6 month trip, but you could start on a smaller scale.
>>
>>766708
Nice thanks! Map doesn't have smaller rivers, but I can find those on my own.
>>
Why do you want to stay in the US?

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/olly-whittle/
>>
>>766754
I only speak english.
>>
>>766321
I a drunk leisure classer so fuck whatever I have to say.

Supposedly the New River from Boone NC to the Ohio, to the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico is a bad ass trip.

Try that!
>>
>>766776
A route I have alread taken actually(kentucky native)

Ohio River -> Tennesee River -> Tombigbee River -> Gulf of Mexico

Much more enjoyable than I would imagine the Mississippi is because it is far more remote and more canoe friendly. Was a good trip. Now I plan for a much larger one.
>>
>>766663
>Fuck it
>/existential crisis/ here
>take a boat or canoe or something very far for a very long time

Sounds to me like you are running. Counseling is a good idea.
>>
>>766830
You happen to be incorrect
>>
File: AICW5.jpg (118 KB, 350x370) Image search: [Google]
AICW5.jpg
118 KB, 350x370
The Intracoastal waterway may work, but you'll constantly be around civilization.

It would take less than 6 months, but also check out the everglades, there's campsites and very little people.
>>
>>768626
>very little people
like herds of them?
>>
>>766708
Great info, anon. I've always fantized about doing the trip you're taking about, imspired by Lewis and Clark. One of those push pole river boats would be sweet, then sail it when you bigger rivers.
>>
Save a bit and get yourself a cheap small sailboat. 20 feet is full on livable and you can find them sometime for 1-2000 bucks (with a bit of work to do)

Canoes aren't very comfy for long trips
>>
>>766830

I too am preparing to run. Try and qualify at the job I'm doing now, then GTFO in 2017 and use workaway for a year or so.
>>
>>766548
So you think you are going to canoe UP the Columbia River? Hoooooooo-kay.

Cucumber-lime Gatorade is the bomb, though.
>>
>>766321
Canoes are great, not very versed in existentialism though, prepare having the same problems at the end. Have fun.
>>
>>769541
It has been done with canoes.
>>769550
Implying you are me
>>769256
Sail boats are gay and you are also wrong
>>
>give me advice
>fuck you you're wrong
Enjoy your trip, op
>>
OP why are you so butthurt? People are giving up advice in a nonthreating way and you tell them to basically shove it up their ass.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.