[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ does anyone know about 65Mn steel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
Hey /out/ does anyone know about 65Mn steel?
>>
>>765886
Google does, now delete this thread.
>>
>>765886
Bumping for interest; I'd be curious to learn more about that and Elmax.

>>765887
I was going to give a reply similar to yours and then I actually googled it and only found what would be "an overwhelming mess" to sift through. It might be easier for you than for he or I though if you know more about steels than we do and/or because your personal results ( google personalizes them based on the machine's search history ).
>>
>>768357
>Current year
>Still using the botnet
>>
>>768357
elmax is currently regarded by plebs, including myself, as the best knife steel
>>
>>765886
That kboife looks neat gor edc.
>>
>>768367
It does, unfortunately when i image search it i only get results in french that claim it is named "Schrade Acier" and mixed details.
Some claim 1095, some 8CR13MoV.
All say made in china.

Looks to be some "economy model" or simply a Chinese rip off, can't find any Shrade knife that looks like that.

This is the closest i could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI6FfstjNpk
>>
>>768396
Never mind, i found it.

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/products/schrade-full-tang-fixed-blade-knife-9
>>
File: SCHRADE_SC60MDTS_1024x1024.png (343 KB, 1024x184) Image search: [Google]
SCHRADE_SC60MDTS_1024x1024.png
343 KB, 1024x184
>>768359
Don't mean to be rude but are you making jokes or being serious? If Elmax is good I may have to see what is on the market.

>>768367
>>768396
>>768399
Posted pic related in a thread on /k/ earlier today; this is the smaller, p.s. tanto model of vid related; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmKsvi3f68
>>
>>768403
Not that anon, elmax is sold as a premium stainless steel but as far as I know it's not very easy to heat treat, zt for example had serious problems treating it. If well treated its main properties are the corrosion resistance and the ability to hold an edge. So it should be nice for a folding knife or a small fixed one.
>>
File: firstedge_products.png (251 KB, 1525x697) Image search: [Google]
firstedge_products.png
251 KB, 1525x697
>>768425
Then I might pick up one of those First Edge knives to see how they do. Found one video where a fellow snapped the tip off a tanto folder and I'll chalk that up to the heat-treat/the tip being the weak point on a tanto but it looks as though their field and survival knife hold up well. Thanks for replying.
>>
>>768447
What makes these 250 dollars better than a 50 dollar knife?
And why the hell would anyone want tanto blades?
>>
File: sarcasm_sincerity_or_stupid.jpg (45 KB, 676x460) Image search: [Google]
sarcasm_sincerity_or_stupid.jpg
45 KB, 676x460
>>768710
I don't know. That is why I'd invest in either the field knife or survival knife and see how they did. I wouldn't use a tanto for anything other than EDC.

If I were to take a guess or two I'd assume that QC is better ( and a process of learning via trial/error given Elmax is supposed to be hard to heat treat as >>768425 said ) than it would be if they were being produced by a third-party factory in China or Taiwan.
>>
>>768425
ZTs elmax is fine and always has been. Quit parroting that shit.
>>
>>768403
im being serious, its regarded as a supersteel for knives. every product that uses elmax though tends to be highly expensive

also, my knowledge of it is second hand, and may be a product of good advertising. like everything, a consumer is responsible for his own purchase
>>
>>768447
stop reposting this shit and buy one already if you want it so bad
tired of your shit aesthetics being in every thread
>>
>>768447
yea when knives break its always~ a product of the heat treatment, because hardness is a property given through tempering. for example glock knives use spring steel, which is named that way because the steel is soft and elastic, unlike most knives which are hard.

also a fault of production knives is that they dont know what climate the buyer will be in. if you trap in the snow of canada, that cold temperature makes the heat treatment actually work against you, because the cold makes the steel even more brittle, and so on.

heat treatment is the 1 thing you cant actually prove as a knife buyer, and leaves the consumer to the whims of the producer, because they can easily skimp the process and nobody would be the wiser. i mean, you can somewhat test, but as far as my knowledge goes, most tests would be inconclusive

>>768748
like i said above, cases of steels effectiveness is actually subjective to the user, not the producer alone. someone that lives in a winter environment might find all the knives on the market are unreliable, when its the weather to blame, and he could fix his problem by getting a knife treated especially for those temperatures
>>
>>768748
t.KAI
>>
>>765886
Looks to be 1070 with a touch less carbon and a touch more Manganese, so basically on par with something like Condors 1075, a functional if not top end carbon steel.

>>768403
I've got two knives in Elmax, happy with both of them, basically anything you could/would pick S30v of 154CM for you could substitute Elmax, it's of a similar vein but a bit more corrosion resistant.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.