[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /out/! I'm a newbie here and I just went to Walmart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: memeslayergear.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
memeslayergear.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Hello /out/! I'm a newbie here and I just went to Walmart and grabbed a bunch of camping supplies for cheap.

I am super interested in getting in the outdoors because as of now I spend every day inside doing the same shit and i'm sick of it but I didn't want to blow a shit ton of money too fast.

Here is a picture of all of it laid out on my bed, i'll reply with a post of every thing that is there and i'll follow up with more pictures of my pack.

I would appreciate any tips and maybe a rating on how I did.
>>
File: messkitmeme.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
messkitmeme.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
You can see most of it but the knife that is in the sheathe is a Buck 119 that my dad used back in the 80's.

That tent was a steal, may not be the best but for 25 bucks I felt that it would be good for a starter.

The picture I posted with this reply is also my dads mess kit from the 80's.
>>
File: memepack.jpg (1015 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
memepack.jpg
1015 KB, 2448x3264
Here's one of the bags I have with a sleeping bag and you guessed it, also my dad's from the 80's.
>>
Wow! Nice set so far man! Hope you enjoy you camping trip! Cheers!
>>
File: MTMyODQ5MzkyNzU4NjE2MDM0.jpg (64 KB, 619x930) Image search: [Google]
MTMyODQ5MzkyNzU4NjE2MDM0.jpg
64 KB, 619x930
One thing you could add to your kit is this incredible book! Jack London is a great author!
>>
Where are you going to camp out?
>>
File: 37651490.jpg (180 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
37651490.jpg
180 KB, 1024x768
>>765585
Here by any chance?
>>
>>765585
I'm not too sure yet, I was planning on going in these woods near some hiking trails but I'll have to research that a bit more.
>>
Looks like you are making a decent set up. Remembe that you must pack gear for different weather patterns, and consider a file to sharpen your hatchet with. You look like you want to do good camping so plan to have room for fishing gear. Goodluck bro. Dont let anyone troll you. You made good selections to get into camping with a running start. Assuming you are in good shape you will have a good time. Cliff bars and nature valley protein bars are your friend!
>>
>>765560
Looks like you did really well! First thing i would upgrade is your sleeping system (tent, pad, and tent) if you want any reccomendations id be more than happy, but what youve got now looks like it will serve you well for the coming months.
>>
>>765588
I'm really not in good shape at all but thanks for the tips. My dad has some good fishing gear that I could use as well.

I have a sharpening stone, would that be fine for the hatchet?
>>
>>765589
If I stick with it for long enough I will definitely upgrade the tent, I would appreciate some good cheap brand suggestions though.
>>
File: NW-Chairs-and-Elk.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
NW-Chairs-and-Elk.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
>>765560
Are you going with another person? It could be very dangerous if you go alone!
>>
>>765591
No for a hatchet you will need a file, they are like 10 bucks at home depot

Google how to use one
>>
>>765569
Man pack is a beauty. Take good care of it.
>>
>>765593
Just happened to start doing my own tent research last night.
From what I saw Ozark is not too bad, the poles might be a little weak though.
Also other people were recommending a water proof treatment and seam seal, another $10 at walmart.
>>
>>765657
Is it really? My dad used to use it all the time, it looks fucking sick and has a solid frame on the inside. Any tips for keeping a pack in good condition or is it just all common sense stuff?
>>
>>765591
>I have a sharpening stone, would that be fine for the hatchet?
if it's new and you didn't sharpen it, 95% it is going to be worthless till you take a file to it
>>
>>765681
Just use common sense, a damp cloth would do in general. Soap only if you can't remove a stain. Don't put it to dry under direct sunlight. That academy broadway is cash m8.
>>
>>765586
What spicy meme is this all about eh?
>>
Op do some practice 2 hour walks so you understand what your body's capable of.

You only really need that big knife, the hatchet isn't really worth the weight. Most of campfire wood is just dead sticks you'd rip from trees and snap underfoot. U should return the small knives & axe and get a whetstone instead so you can get your old man's knife performing as sharp as it was when he was your age.
>>
Follow this guy's advice OP >>765781

Also, a small gardening shovel will work perfect instead of that folding one you have there.
>>
>>765563
Would you pls show us pics of that mess kit?
>>
You need a different fixed blade.
I'm a buck fanboy and that's an excellent knife but I'll be the first to tell you a 119 is not a bushcraft knife. You won't need it unless you're gonna be skinning deer out there.
Can I get a close up pic of the knife, I'm curious about the datecode now.
>>
Get a ground mat if you are staying overnight. It's hard to sleep on the floor if you are not used to it. Plus body heat Yada Yada.
Plan your days if you can/want.
For goal oriented people that are bored easily not having a plan can make a day just uneventful.
Try carving a spoon or making cool camp shit.
Make sure your footwear is suitable to the terrain you are going in to.
Have fun anon
>>
>>765560
What is the plan for a lantern? Anything?

And I reccommend a headlamp. They are so great. Ever since I finally got a headlamp, I will use it 90% of the time over a regular flashlight. Best $25 ever spent.
>>
>>765578
>>765583
>>765578
Stop being such an asshole.
>>
>>765925
>For goal oriented people that are bored easily not having a plan can make a day just uneventful.
>Try carving a spoon or making cool camp shit.
This.

Being alone at camp is a total different experience than being alone at home. Find something interesting to do. Try carving things or practice fire by friction. That book that's around the house that you always said you would read but never did, take it with you and give it a try. Also, in that notebook of yours, take notes of everything you have while you are camping, what worked and what not, the ways things can be improved or replaced. Build a proper fire, take your time.
>>
/out/ is different for everyone OP, you just have to go do it and see what you want to do differently next time
>>
>>765774
A book called into the wild, some college guy thinks he can just live in Alaska and wanders off into the woods and ended up starving to death as winter set in, he died on that bus. To his credit he was apparently a good hitchhiker and camper, but he got cocky and froze his cock off

Tldr; hipster death because nature
>>
>>765781
>ripping from trees
stick to deadfall, m8
>>
File: image%3A30532.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
image%3A30532.png
8 KB, 256x224
>>765596
You posted the wrong picture with your comment.
>>
>>765560
>i'll reply with a post of every thing that is there
So what's your total loadout? Brands and models, if you've got them. Looks like a good start; you'll figure out pretty quick what you don't need and what you'd like to add that you don't currently have. Start small, like day trips with your pack. Proceed to overnight trips, then multiple days, and before you know it you'll be enjoying the outdoors on a regular basis. Personally, I like having a hatchet on hand, others swear by folding camp saws. Hell, carry both if you want. Anybody saying not to carry what you can is full of shit, you'll know within a mile if you're overloaded. I usually start out just above my comfort zone in weight; I'll drink some of the weight before I make camp. Remember -- the necessities are, in order of importance, after air (without which you won't be going anywhere, much less camping):
>Shelter
(clothes, tent, sleeping bag)
>Water
(both physical water and means to purify water)
>Food
(dense nutrition, like, but not limited to, GORP and pemmican)
>Fire
(will aid in all of the above, plus morale booster)

Not saying you won't need/want other things, but you will definitely need at least the first three, and the fourth is a great help.

Have fun, be safe, take a camera so you can post pics when you get back (we love that shit).
>>
I'm loving this thread because it brings back so many memories both because of the topic and op's old man's gear; and because for once in a long time we have a noob OP who actually is planning to go /out/ and is not just thinking about it. Also, he is not making us fix a list for him, he went for it and asks for ways to improve his setup. Proud of you OP, I really am. All you lurkers, learn some
>>
>>765560
If you want to sleep outside you will need something that separates you from the ground so you don't lose all your body heat in the night.

Popular configurations are:
>sleeping mat
>tent or tarp

Or for forest areas where you can use trees
>hammock
>tarp stretched over hammock
>>
>>765681
Dude is right, the pack is still nice. Newer stuff may be a few grams lighter, but this one seems robust.

>>765781
Practice walks, but not once. Thrice, for a few weeks. My work is 20km away, i go there by train. I walk back home every two days. Turns out walking 20km is easy if you do it often, but even 10km is hard if you only do it only every few weeks.

>>765925
This is good advice, you'll have a bad night without sleeping pad. Get one of them yoga mats for a few bucks, later a thermarest protrail or so.

>>765931
Wut? Two of the greatest out-stories, mang.
>>
Good start OP! You've got the essentials.

Go out on short trips at first, preferably just overnighters. Take note of what works and what doesn't work, what potentially needs upgrading, and what you didn't use at all.
>>
>>765976
Not the anon you posted at.
I usually break dry twigs from trees and bushes for my kindling as I walk on to camp. I'm on the swampy gulf Coast and it's the only dry shit around. I give it a little bend and if it snaps ita good tinder, if it's flexible then it's green and Alive and I don't mess with it. In about 10 minutes I have two handfuls of great dry tinder. I mean tiny shit like what a sparrow's nest is made of. One flick of a bic and i have a raging fire in a few minutes.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.