[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ doesnt go /out/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15
File: sherpa 3.jpg (489 KB, 1024x899) Image search: [Google]
sherpa 3.jpg
489 KB, 1024x899
>mfw people on /out/ scoff at any pack that is over 35 pounds and swear they wouldnt camp with it and "those pounds add up"

>mfw skinny women hike everest daily with this on their back

No sympathy for any of you. Weight is not an argument.
>>
>>765553
>Skinny slave monkey humans can do it, therefore you should do it

Some people want to live beyond their thirtieth birthday.
>>
File: 1434588361842.jpg (345 KB, 1024x679) Image search: [Google]
1434588361842.jpg
345 KB, 1024x679
>>765553
Agreed anon. The ultra-lighters seem to be usually day hike fags from the cities who can barely manage to not collapse on any intense multi day trek by casting away literally every possible piece of gear they can slide by without. The reason the pounds takes it out of them is that they're not conditioned usually.

>mfw my bro hiked the PCT with a pack that averaged 70-75 lbs most of the way.
>>
>>765558
I know a guy hiking in Peru right now, because of his climbing gear his pack is 120 pounds. He is 160 pounds soaking wet. I asked him if it was hard to carry that and he aounded confused and then said "dude, what the hell im not some sort of pussy".
>>
File: 20160307_000409.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160307_000409.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>765553
I hike with a >20 LB pack because I was a long distance runner in high school and college and can do 30 miles a day with my pack.
>>
>>765562
Sounded
>>765556
>I'm healthier because my personal limits are far below many people's daily routine

Haha. Hahahahaha.
>>
>>765567
>every daily routine is healthy

I won't even bother to respond with some ironic bullshit
>>
>>765565
I'm sure the weight isn't an issue for you and if you wanted to, could do the same with 80 pounds. 12 hours walking is easy. 12 hours walking gives you 6 hours to fuck around and 6 hours to sleep. You should be able to crawl 30 miles in 12 hours.
>>
>>765572
>people that can hike everest with twice their weight on their back while wearing sandals are unhealthy

At least clean the cheeto residue off your fingers before you type fatty
>>
>>765577
Consider euthanasia for yourself and your entire genetic lineage
>>
>>765573
Of course, but because I jog / run instead of walk I'd rather not mess my knees up too badly, I'd like to do this for a long time yah know :]
>>
>>765580
Jogging with weight is not a good path to that, however walking is much more stable regardless of weight.

>>765579
How about I do that when you can hike more than a mile with 60 pounds on your back. I am going to cal you Suzy now. Little Suzy.
>>
>>765558
So bitter.

Do you have trouble enjoying the wilderness without bringing excess comforts from home?
>>
>>765594
>what is -20 degrees
>what is camping for a month with no carepackages from mommy
>what is having the ability to carry other peoples gear if they get hurt
>what is being prepared for all situations
>what is being able to go hunting and fishing

It's like you think the bigger the pack the bigger tent they will have when in reality if they have a pack that big they probably didn't bring a tent at all. You have no education on what it takes to do anything besides car camp.
>>
>>765553
What is the purpose of this thread?
>>
>>765607
To allow the non-posters the knowledge that you fags are just using memes and that hiking with a heavy pack is totally fine and almost always beneficial
>>
>>765553
There is literally no reason to carry more weight than you need. I'd rather be comfortable hiking.
>>
>>765614
Pro tip: If 5 pounds is a problem then you will never, ever be comfortable hiking. Not even with no gear at all.
>>
>>765620
Unlike you, faggot, I actually go /out/. If you did you'd realize that 5 pounds makes a noticeable difference. But if you're happy covering the same distance in a week that I cover in a day, I won't stop you.
>>
>>765553
hardcore is carrying nothing, not carrying a lot. all you did was literally admit to being a casual
>>
>>765627
No it truly doesn't. In fact you notice it less and less as you go on. You fucking idiot. You have not done even 10% of the /out/ I have done. 35 mile days through appalachia with 80 pounds is the norm for anybody that is worth their salt. Step into my world, Jennifer.
>>
>>765636
No gear is fun for up to two weeks but after that I bring enough stuff for if I decide to stay 3 months or longer. You wouldn't know anything about that you filthy casual.
>>
>>765640
Wow 35 mile days, you're really hardcore. Especially in Appalachia, contending with elevations of over 3000'.
>>
>>765636
>has never camped in the winter, the post
>>
>>765643
That is a normal walk really. That is why I said it. That is something that should be really easy even with an 80 pound pack. I have a few friends that nearly jog and we cover up to 50 miles a day in Appalachia, now that is far beyond what I expect of people so I made no mention of it.
>>
>>765641
lmfao you fucking liar you have literally never been outside for more than the 2 weeks you speak of if you think thats true

>>765644
what do you need past a good jacket? i can slum around all winter in a good jacket. you faggots packing ground insulators, sleeping bags and tents are actually too autistic. do you shit in plastic baggies too, and save them so you can flush them down the toilet when you get home

and yes i know about ground conduction, which is far more easily combatted than rei might have you think. and no, my winters are not sub 20 F
>>
>>765655
Oh no, in my pack is not even a tent. Definately no technology. I have a sleeping bag, clothes for the winter, an axe, hunting and fishing gear, an extra set of boots, rope and lots of rice and spices.

Step up.

When I say months I mean months.

You need a lot more than a jacket holy christ.
>>
>>765656
>>765655
Also to add to this, plastic bags for preserving your meat in a river and salting your meat and packing it with you

Also a long term med kit is going to weigh at least 5 pounds

This is why I know you are trolling
>>
>>765655
>>765656
>>765659
And god almighty have you ever carried a weeks worth of water? Fuck man

You are sad.
>>
>>765656
idk what jacket you are thinking of, but yea, a jacket will suffice. ask me how i know

>>765663
what a fucking stupid post
>>
>>765666
No. That is not how that works. That is not even how that works in 20 degree nights let alone the sub zero nights that happen regularly in appalachia.

Yes, if you intend to be in the wild for a long time you bring anlot of water because your water source is never a garuantee. Uh oh. Wow. What a shocker right?
>>
>>765667
you are trying so hard to be contrarian lmao. no, nobody carries all their water. yes, my down jacket keeps me sweltering in 30+ degrees. you going to continue with more snide rebukes like how people shouldnt leave the house without a full afaik because nothing is a guarantee?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foycHWwif_0
>>
>>765612
So the purpose of this thread is for you to brag about how hardcore you are?
Why would you want to do this on an anonymous image board?
>>
>>765679
Why would you want to continue the trend of people thinking it's impossible to be badass in the woods? I am an average guy. Let the people of this board be empowered!

>>765670
I know you saw my list you would know very well that I carry the bare essentials not even a tent. And yes, 7 days of water is a very big deal if you are walking around during a drought or have no idea where you are. Always keep stocked up. You clearly have never left a trail and definately have never spent the amount of time in the woods as me, in fact, just one of my 3-6 month stays on the woods is probably more than you have ever camped in your life.
>>
I have never met a person that couldn't carry a 50 pound pack without also struggling with no weight at all. If you cannot do that, you are still bound to society.
>>
>>765683
"the woods" lmao no need to lie to protect an anonymous reputation. the only thing you end up trying to protect is your flimsy ego
>>
>>765689
The only people that believe hard things are impossible, or even if they believe hard things are simply just not fun are very weak humans. Their opinion really, should be ignored. Like yours. You weak weak baby.
>>
>>765691
hard things? my whole life has been spent in the wild. your prose sounds like a giant bandaid
>>
>>765696
Clearly you have not if you think a jacket will provide everything you need. An 80 pound ruck is for extended primitive camping. You cannot bring fancy things.
>>
>skinny women
>calves and quad of folded steel

You forget that these fuckers have been climbing hills since they could walk
>>
>>765726
As you should have been doing.
>>
Let us use a case study:
>Infantry guys carry atleast 70lb rucksacks
>can easily march with it at a pace of 12 mins/mile, sucks a bit but can be done
>many chronic joint problems and back problems
And you ask why people like to reduce weight?
>>
>>765742
But this isnt what happens to army guys
>thats what happens to fat army guys
>>
>>765747
holy fuck you just keep digging the hole bigger
>>
>>765748
>Hurr in going to ignore the obvious causes of things
>hurr why do people point out my hogshit
>>
>>765751
you dont know what the fuck you are talking about
>>
>>765747
Well majority of the marine infantry guys I know have chronic joint and soft tissue problems. That's not even taking into account additional weight of having to lug a 240 around or a mortar base plate for those tube strokers.
Here's a study for you:
http://publications.amsus.org/doi/abs/10.7205/MILMED-D-11-00006
>>
>>765755
Wrong.

>>765753
You are a bitch.
>>
>>765760
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1529943011013283
How am I wrong?
>>
>>765764
Because you do not take into account of being in the military. When in the woods by yourself you can take breaks. You do not walk 30 miles up hill without a break like the military does. This is a major difference. It's huge.
>>
>>765767
Except, I am speaking from first hand experience and we did take breaks.
Here's another study for you, specifically looking at load bearing: http://publications.amsus.org/doi/abs/10.7205/MILMED.169.1.45
Look, carrying a heavy amount of weight can lead to higher amounts of injury. Tripping, falling, getting hung up on something, or even rolling an ankle can turn what normally would be an innocuous injury into something serious.
>>
>>765769
Thats just pussy shit you are supposed to be aware of. All of that stuff are things you are supposed to be intelligent enough to deal with. Speaking from 25 years experience. Still running sub 6 minute miles.
>>
>>765771
If you are as intelligent as you say you are, then you would not be putting yourself at undue risk of injury or harm.
>>
>>765776
You do not risk injury doing these things if you micromanage your body. Fool.
>>
>>765667
>Sub zero regularly
>in appalachia
VA fag here. Calling bullshit on this. I can count the times I remember subzero temps on one hand.
>>
>>765780
Right, because no accidents or mishaps that are out of your control ever happen.
>>
>>765784
Kentucky hits -5 very commonly. Also, along the A.T. itself winters can be as bad as -80. WV does hit even -10 if you are in high elevation in january. This is not a situation of "just dont bring the gear". If you are out there when that happens. You need the gear.
>>
>>765785
You are supposed to minimize them.
>>
>>765636
Hory shet you guys.

It's what you accomplish that matters.

Making due with little and getting good performance is badass, so is packing in some serious shit and doing something cool.
>>
>>765558
What was he carrying that made his pack over 70 pounds? I like being comfortable but that seems really excessive.
>>
>>765553
>scoff at any pack that is over 35 pounds and swear they wouldnt camp with it and "those pounds add up"

Enjoy your knee and hip replacements in your early 50s
>>
File: Exagerrated Laugh - 1.jpg (127 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
Exagerrated Laugh - 1.jpg
127 KB, 560x375
>>765553
>mfw skinny women hike everest daily with this on their back

he actually believes this
>>
File: Got a Badass Here.jpg (51 KB, 736x569) Image search: [Google]
Got a Badass Here.jpg
51 KB, 736x569
>>765553
>No sympathy for any of you. Weight is not an argument.
>>
File: darn.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
darn.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>765553
my favorite.
>you need 1800$ boots to enjoy the /out/doors
>>
>>765905
>flip flops are better than boots for hiking /out/
>>
File: P6070278.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
P6070278.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
I haven't bothered reading the shitposts in this thread.

But those cunts in OP's picture are not women, they're men. In Nepal the job of a Porter is typically one done by men. Porters, not the ones hired by overseas hikers to carry their shit, but the ones that carry local supplies from town to town like food, gas cannisters desks, etc, are often paid in accordance to the weight of the goods on their back. This leads to the Porters often trying to carry the heaviest loads they can which is 70-80kgs (150-170lbs). Because of the often heavy loads many porters dont in fact live as long as your average Nepalese and often suffer serious back and neck problems as they have been carrying these heavy loads their whole life putting massive stress on their back. That said, sometimes there may not always be porters available for someone in a village to pay and a person, possible some child or elderly lady may be carrying large loads themselves between villages for whatever reasons. This however isn't necessarily a common thing.

As for cunts in the Military in infantry. Yes they can do often suffer back and sometimes knee problems as they age, once again likely due to the stress put on their bodies from heavy loads over time. The amount of pain they suffer being to varying degrees of course.

Source: I recently traveled to Nepal just end of the last year, in which I picked off the brain of my guide on everything. On top of that I also spent 5 years in the military with a deployment overseas as well.
>>
>>765796
Where in KY? I was born and raised in SEKY. Normal temps run in the 30s all through winter. It will occasionally get into the teens during cold snaps but rarely below zero. Are you niggers talking about Celsius maybe? Because that I can beleive.
>>
>>765923
Flip flops really aren't that great for walking in the bush, you ideally want Sandals instead.
>>
This thread needs more whipsnake
>>
OP is no steve climber
>>
>>765923
depends what you're doing. I'm an albino ogre who hates onions. I live in the swamps. the only shittastic thing is walking through things with spines/thorns, are they good for every location? No. but subtropic and tropic they are just fine. FYI. those are 40dollar flipflops anyway.. so not like I have much room to talk on the money front, and I own a pair of red wings for serious shit. but I use my flipflops/old ass converse for like 80% of my outdoor shit. but /out/ does tell newbies all the time to drop like 600 dollars on a pair of boots.. its easier walking through the swamps bare foot, getting across a creek area and what not, you've got maybe 150 yards of slop/mud, the creek, then another 150 yards of slop/mud. and there's spots where you're gonna end up shin deep in mud/slop. with boots, you either risk getting them totally gross and getting mud/slop on the inside that takes months to remove the smell. OR take them off, walk across bare foot, then get to the otherside, and have no way to wash your feet off before you shove them back into your socks/boots. with flipflops, remove them shits, walk through, slid them back on, the mud and slop will work its way out.

plus like the above webm, good for cooling yourself off in a light stream :)
>>
>>765943
These last few years we have had multiple sub zero nights.
>>
File: Nepal.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Nepal.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944
>>765942
(cont'd)

This was a woman that was probably 50+ if not even 60+. It's also the type of load she might carry. It's the wood the Nepalese use to burn in the fires inside their Buddist Temples. It gives off a certain smell and is supposed to be good luck. Although this load doesn't look heavy, it would still be around 30-50 pounds is my guess and also a large load still being slightly awkward to carry.

Not common for the women to carry heavy loads, but you will still them on the road at times carrying shit like this.
>>
>>765942
It should also be noted that these peoples bodies are built for a high-altitude enviroment. No one can hope to compete with them.

They require less oxygen than the average person to function normally.
>>
>>765955
>>765942
cont not needed, but acceptable.

How is it our fault people from Nepal haven't invented the wheel yet?
>>
>>765580
Walking with the weight is fine. Running and jogging is bad for your joints with added weight. Look up rucking tips too.
>>
>>765961
Confirmed for never having walked through any mountains
>>
>>765796
>Also, along the A.T. itself winters can be as bad as -80
No they can't lmao
>>
>>765683
I guarantee this is the same guy who claimed in another thread that his normal hiking pace is 10 mph and that he could do 10 miles in 2 hours with a broken leg.
>>
>>765969
Last winter we hit -40 with Wind Chill in built up areas.
Though -80 seems...extreme.
>>
File: image%3A30531.png (555 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
image%3A30531.png
555 KB, 480x854
>>765942
Hmm. This cat looks like he may learn about trigger discipline the hard way.
>>
I... I can't go out. I just need about $1000 more in gear and then I'll be ready.
>>
>>765562
I know a guy hiking the Namib right now. Guys 170 pounds and has a 320 pound load. I asked him if he needs help lighten the load.

No, he said. I need those stones to build a potstand. Do you think i'm a wuss?
>>
>>765565
Question: I can do the same, but my feet get fucked up after a few days. Every single time. I tried socks, shoes, powders, bandages, inletts, hiking poles and cremes. I usually lose the nail of the smallest one and get nasty blisters everywhere else.

Bloody feet man, thats all thats stopping me.
>>
>>766015
Tried duct tape? That's my go to for blisters. There's a point where you just have to deal with it though. Losing toenails isn't a big deal.
>>
ITT: Things that did not happen.

>>765646
> jog 50 miles with 80 pound pack

>>765780
> micromanages his body, thus never injured

>>765959
Actually, they require the same, but have thicker blood, larger lungs and stronger hearts, they also carry more glucose in the liver and have thicker vene walls due to higher blood pressure. All this leads to higher energy consumption.

The light that burns double asbright, burns half as long. Median age is greatly reduced. They pay a price.

>>765667
> does the AT, brings all his water
>>
>>765553
Hello. I'm a wildlife photographer. I take between 10 and 20 kilo in my photo gear. Damn skippy I'm going to go ultra-light on everything else. And even when NOT carrying my gear, I'd rather have less on my back than more. Stop being retarded, son.
>>
>>765553
I agree with ultralight being taken way too far.

If you're hiking the AT or walking the Santiago de Compostella then sure, I get it, but with all the 'car camping' I see on here I believe most people are just talking out of their ass.

>>765627
>But if you're happy covering the same distance in a week that I cover in a day, I won't stop you.
This makes it sound like you hike to set arbitrary records, instead of actually taking in the environment, which is pretty sad.
>>
>>765971
He also writes the same way as that tryhard turbofag in the bad campers thread.
>>
>>765556
Very few people on the Annapurna tracks who are hauling shit are very old. Most porters do it young because its generally the case that you have to be a porter before you become a guide and so its more of a career paths thing. I did see some middle aged to 50-60 year old men who will be carting stones or other heavy shit that is used for maintaining the paths or the guest houses. Typically its exchanging goods between villages. I did see one elderly Woman carting some food stuffs in a bug bag on her back and was walking from Chomrong to Macchu Puchre, which is about a 4-6 hours walk.
>>
>>765955
you couldn't take a cart through those mountains man.
>>
File: 1439415251204.png (5 KB, 386x308) Image search: [Google]
1439415251204.png
5 KB, 386x308
>>765562
>"dude, what the hell im not some sort of pussy".
wow logic of the beta fagtron form the middle class. Plebs literally have no idea what ''effective'' means and will justify their impotence and lack of finances by anything.
>>
>>765553
>35 pounds
We've been over this to death. Anything over 8-12#, + pack weight, + water, is absurd. You're supposed to be /out/, noth bringing every fucking creature comfort from home.
>>
>>766130
>beta
>fagtron
>plebs
>justify x by anything

You've missed your stop, /b/ is that way.
>>
>>766119
That was physically painful. That thread killed me.
>>
>>765742
protip, its because their packs and boots suck
>>
File: 1462335392421.jpg (50 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1462335392421.jpg
50 KB, 800x800
Tfw /out/ is nothing but a bunch of ego tripping number chasing faggots
>>
>>766049
For the most part I hike to check off another summit from the list, or for the challenge of completing a particular route at a particular time. I find that much more fulfilling than lugging 80 pounds of milsurp junk into the woods and doing bushcraft faggotry.
>>
>>765627
Why don't you just lose some fucking weight?

Ultra light makes no sense as an ethos because the most significant amount of weight you are carrying is on your body and if you just clean up your diet and exercise more every ounce you lose can be added to supplies.
>>
>>766536
This. Two people can weigh 180 pounds, but one of them can squat 480 while the other than only squat his bodyweight. This is a massive different. Once person doesn't even notice when theres 80 pounds on his back, the other person is discomforted by a school bag.
>>
>>765655
Kek, nigga where I'm from its like average -25'C for winter. If I go camping, I take shit with me.
>>
>>766451
.... Millennials who use their phone as much as possible while /out/.
>>
>>766536
actually what needs to happen is you need to learn to not need so much. stay inside if you plan to carry all the amnenities of home on your back

like, is there anything more autistic than carrying around a butane tank in your backpack to cook food. and lmFao at mountain house meals only having 300 calories and taking up all that space
>>
>>766904
As stated previously, if you intend to do any sort of extended primitive camping your pack will weigh more than 80 pounds. That includes not bringing a tent at all. Your assumptions prove your lack of knowledge in this field.
>>
>>766920
its highly likely the opposite is true

complete this sentence. the more you know; ______________
>>
>>766930
Have you any idea how much 5 gallons of water weighs? Have you any idea how much that lasts you in the woods?

That is heavy. Along with your axe, your ammo, your gun, your fishing gear, your extra boots because one pair is never been /out/ for more than 3 days mode, your cold weather gear; because weather can change a lot in a month and it only has to be bad once to kill you, your rice and spices, your single metal pot that you cook everything in over an open camp fire... all of this equates to a lot of weight and I did not mention one fancy REI piece of crap. At most you could bring a nice sleeping bag, but build your own shelter it will be better than a tent if you don't suck nuts.

All the fancy REI gear is the easy way out. I giggle when I see punks like you break out their propane tanks.
>>
>>766933
>>766904
>is there anything more autistic than carrying around a butane tank in your backpack to cook food
be more autistic. if you think its possible to isolate your water needs from the environment, you are deluded
>>
>>766936
It is very easily done. That is why you bring 5 gallons worth of containers. It may be 3 or 4 days before you find another good water source. Always stick around a good water source for a full day to make sure you're ready to go, and stock up before you leave.

Humans didn't have ipods 200 years ago, by the way.

Also, no shame in bringing water purification systems if you are not confident in your water sources.
>>
>>766937
oh i see, i claim you dont need to carry that much. then you take the adamant stance of accusing me of carrying too much. water tablets, propane tank. is this the grown autistic version of "i know you are but what am i"

i dont go down the street without a water bottle. this doesnt mean im carrying a caravan of water everytime i isolate myself. again, the more you know, the less you carry

i think i misread your part about water purifiction but im not backtracking. and what the fuck are you talking about ipods for? see, autism
>>
>>766938
I'm saying if you wish to do any sort of camping for more than a week that isn't car camping you have two options

1) bring fancy shit
2) do it the right way

Refusing to be prepared is very arrogant of your surroundings. Refusing to be prepared and bringing literally nothing is what I did when I first began primitive camping.

If I am camping for 3 days, sure, I don't need anything outside of a school bag. It is silly to say you know what will happen on day 24, and you aren't prepared at all. You can know everything but this doesn't change the fact that you refused to be humble to the forest and it is a force much greater than you.
>>
>>765798
...Like maybe by not carrying a pack that's way heavier than necessary?
>>
>>765864
Shhhh you'll scare them away
>>
>>766956
>>766956
What a dumb thing to say.
>My legs and back are so weak it is a hazard to carry a backpack

Jesus man.
>>
>>766960
I don't skip leg day. Don't give me that 'weak' shit. How do you minimise spraining your ankle while carrying that kitchen sink (and the spare incase the first one chips)?
>>
>>766966
Confirmed for didn't read this post
>>766933
What kitchen sink, Delilah?
>>
>>766969
Confirmed for no humor
>>
>>766969
Confirmed for not answering the question
>>
>>766973
Okay, heres your answer. Learn how to walk.
>>
>>766974
I think you spent too much time sat by the fire thinking about what a primitive alpha badman you are, your mind has left you
>>
>>766933
Since you're talking about building your own shelter it's clear you intend on staying in one place for a while - of course an 80 pound pack won't inconvenience you much when all you're doing is dragging it 10 miles into the woods then staying put.

Some of us would rather cover ground than camp out in one place for a month with a pile of heavy milsurp crap while jerking off to how much a hardass we are.
>>
>>765636
>Not camping naked in the snow

Its like you're spitting on the graves of our ancestors. They could do it, why can't you?? pussy.
>>
>>766984
In b4 hiking from campsite to campsite is for hobbyists. Not everyone wants to live under some branches alone for months at a time
>>
>>766933
>Have you any idea how much 5 gallons of water weighs?

do YOU have any idea how much? because i do-it's about 40 lbs. and have you looked at how big a 5 gallon bucket is lately? while i'm fine with heavy loads (backcountry climber ftw) i'm more than a little skeptical that you're putting that much extra volume and weight in your pack.

>pic related to where this troll has gone
>>
>>766988
>implying i dont
>>
>>766984
Well, I can hike for very long distance, just as far as anybody needs to and then some more with all that so, argument invalid.

>>766999
You get used to it, but really a new hiker will most of the time be able to start on a large pack given that they can do some pull ups and push ups and don't get out of breathe by stairs. It honestly is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.
>>
>>767030
>Well, I can hike for very long distance, just as far as anybody needs to and then some more with all that so, argument invalid.

Not him but just stop already, it's getting embarrassing.
>>
>>767089
No u.
>>
File: 1433513206467.jpg (56 KB, 576x533) Image search: [Google]
1433513206467.jpg
56 KB, 576x533
Good old /out/, reasonable and chill as always.
>>
>>765643
West coast fags are the biggest fags of them all.
>>
>>767160
Yeah, 3000' feet in Appalachia is quite a lot. Not that the west doesn't have their fair share of steep grades, but every, single, hill is almost hands and knees walking in Appalachia.
>>
File: Maine+2012+-+E+116.jpg (341 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Maine+2012+-+E+116.jpg
341 KB, 1600x1200
>>767161
Actually I misunderstood the post and now I regret it a little.
>>
>>767226
My reply that is.
>>
Carton of smokes and a bottle of jack is all you need.
>>
File: tjfiw0g.jpg (154 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
tjfiw0g.jpg
154 KB, 500x521
>MFW I've never been on a camping trip where my pack weighed less than 20kg.
>>
>>768016
yeah if ur a pedo hobo in the park

>>768034
how?

pack 2kg
tent 2kg
sleeping gear 2kg
cook kit and fuel 2kg
spare clothes and personal shit 2kg
3 days food 2kg
2 litres water 2kg

Even with these arbitrary over estimations that's STILL not 20kg (it's 16)

I can pack an axe, saw, large knife, an extra quilt, all my camera gear, a few books AND a weeks worth of food and still not see anywhere near 20kg
>>
>>765553
>b-but muh lightweight high-speed bare essentials 10oz pack
There really are a lot of wimps on /out/ who wouldn't last a week if they had to in the woods because they can't handle a pack over 10lbs
>>
>>768276
again, you are deluding yourself. its the opposite thats true. there are wants, and there are needs. you pack more wants than needs, because you are afraid and ignorant of the terrain
>>
>>768276
oh well i mean 10 lb is basically a fanny pack. im talking about those 70l+ packs
>>
>>768287
Yes I agree 70lb packs are stupid
>>
>>768313
Unless you need one, then they aren't bad.
>>
>>768508
at the point i need a 70l pack, its probably because im responsible for some level of logistics, at which point it fails in regard to other containers
>>
>>765553
I mean, I have carried an expedition pack with full mountaineering equipment (Ropes, pro., ice axe, crampons, etc.). It's just not fun, and when I go innawoods I would rather just carry a daypack with the essentials.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.