[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wild berries/foraging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 06_Thimbleberry31July_04[1].jpg (867 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
06_Thimbleberry31July_04[1].jpg
867 KB, 2272x1704
I have found a few patches of thimbleberries (Rubus parviflorus) while hiking in the woods of western Oregon. That's a nice surprise. Salmonberries and blackberries are the most common finds, though. Anyone else feast on berries as much as possible while /out/?
>>
>>764932
Wow those are in Oregon? When I go up to my grandparents place in Minnesota I eat them all I can. I thought they were raspberries!
>>
>>764948
I think they're actually most prevalent around Michigan and the upper Midwest. They aren't that common in Oregon, but they're around. If you go off-trail, you will occasionally see them.

I like them better than raspberries for the most part. They have smaller "drupes" (the individual segments surrounding each seed) and tend to have a slightly sharper flavor.
>>
I'll chow down on blackberries and dewberries when I see them. We have a lot of wild strawberries around here too but I've never tried any (I'm not a fan of garden variety strawberries so I can't imagine that the wild varieties would taste any better to me).
>>
there's wild black raspberries growing all over the place...got a bunch growing in buckets/pots; they just need a lot of water
>>
I go mushroom foraging. Most mushrooms you want to cook but I find a good amount of Jew's Ear (Auriculum auricularia) which is a good snack raw.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.