[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Earthquakes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10
File: earthquake.jpg (152 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
earthquake.jpg
152 KB, 1200x800
Have you been in one of real significance?
Just experienced a 5.8 yesterday in Taiwan and the news is saying more are possible over the next couple of days. What would your EDC consist of for an urban area? Running out of building from the 8th floor was crazy. I experienced some 1-4 level earthquakes before but this last one.. this building was SWINGING.
Post stories, advice on EDC.

( not like pic.)
>>
>>764262
Went through about 16,000 of them during the early ones in Christchurch, New Zealand in 2010-2011. A couple at 7.1 and 7.3 each. Couple of hundred killed in the big one, but nothing compared to Fukishima.
>>
Experienced a couple of 4s when I was in Japan.

I'd want to have:

Mobile phone,
Torch,
Book,
FAK,
Couple of bottles of water and snacks,
Emergency blanket,
Gloves
>>
>>764262
I was in Japan for the 2011 earthquake. Came near to losing my family in the tsunami. Had to camp in my car for three days. Make two bags/backpacks, one for home and one for the car. The anon who posted in 764328 has a good list of things. I'd add something so that you can charge your mobile phone. We have solar chargers and battery packs for charging here in Japan. I'd also throw in a change of underwear if you can. And don't forget a small radio - you can get news without running your mobile battery down.
>>
>>764262
Was in Nepal's countryside when the 7,9 struck last year. Literally feels like the earth is one giant ship swinging in rough seas. I wasn't hurt, neither of my friends, but some people in the village we were staying died. Almost all houses were destroyed or damaged beyond repair. If interested I will share more info.
>>
>prepper thread

I wish the mods would ban these crazy prepper threads. You people are the worst.
>>
>>764720
Wow a good thread for once. And you are shitposting about it? Why the fuck do we need to go through a FISHING GENERAL thread A DAY? Thats not a problem? You're fucking retarded.

I live in the south east US. Never experienced a quake in my life. I really wanna know what it feels like to be on a motorcycle during a quake... I tried to sit on a motorcycle not strapped down to a trailer and had it be pulled by a truck. I lasted all of 10 seconds before I went toppling over. Im under the impression from that experince that its sorta the same deal
>>
>>764328
Add a dust mask. And strap on goggles to keep dust n shit out of your eyes. Couple of bandannas. Small roll of duct tape.

Skyscrapers can generate a metric fuckton of broken glass if they flex and whip just right. You'll want a good lightweight pair of shoes for that, ones that give you good coverage.

I want to say put a lighter in there, but I don't know why.
>>
>>765029
lighting candles maybe?
>>
>>764292
I experienced one of the big ones that happened in Christchurch all the way down in Dunedin. It was something like 5 in the morning and I was up playing vidya all night. The computer desk and filing cabinets shook violently, and the Windows rattled.

I think I said something about it in game and went back to playing.

I have about two weeks supply of food, some candles, batteries, gas cans for my stove, and a big bag of disposable nappies as backup for our cloth ones. I really should get a BBQ too as backup for cooking.
>>
>>765029
Good shout on the dust mask. But I'm not sure how much use you'd get out of it after the initial quake (dust settles etc)

I'd assume most people would already be wearing shoes.
>>
>>765061
>two weeks supply of food

What in particular did you get? Cans, MREs, mountain houses?

I'm curious because all of the MREs or freeze-dried food packs are fucking way too expensive here in Aus
>>
>>764541
>If interested I will share more info.
Sure

>>764720
This is actually legitimate for once. Instead of imaginary zombies or a population uprising against its government it's about an actual event that just happened and is applicable to a lot of people.
tl;dr
Fuck off faggot, this thread is fine.
>>
>>765159

Yeah I gotta agree. At least this one is a lot more realistic and reasonable.

Massive flood happened a couple of years ago in my city, I was at a friend's house which didn't flood but if I had been at home I would have been cut off for 48 - 72 hours with no electricity, so this thread is pretty relevant to me.
>>
>>764328

FAK? Foldaway knife?
>>
>>765168
First aid kit
>>
>>764262
Are you native Taiwanese?
Native Taiwanese stop give a fuck about earthquake since they're like 7
>>
>>765159
What do you want to know?
>>
>>765158
Couldn't you just buy canned food if you are keeping it at home?
>>
>>765158
Not him but I keep a decent amount of canned goods, 20lbs of dry rice, about 10lbs of various dried beans, some powdered milk, etc. around. It's all stuff that I eat on a normal basis so I just keep a certain amount of cans of each item in stock and rotate through my stock putting newly bought cans at the back of the pantry and moving older cans up to the front.

All those MREs and prepper foods they sale are a ripoff IMO if you just want to keep a decent supply of food on hand at your house. MREs and freeze dried foods are made lightweight so that you can carry a bunch of them in a rucksack, weight isn't a concern if you're storing it at home.
>>
>>764720
This is now the proper response to any of these threads.

Here is why.

In all prepper threads there is always this sentiment simply because society hates it. Why? Because of shit like "Doomsday Preppers" and other such sensationalist TV shows depicting anyone who "preps" to be "fucking crazy as fuck". Even people who prep for storms are labeled as "crazy" in movies like "Take Shelter" (2011).

This is 3 things. 1 is "sensationalism". 2, is "fear mongering". 3 is "entertainment". These 3 things completely ruin societies' views on the proper and very logical act of prepping for common weather and social disasters (which happen every day in many parts of the world.)

So, you end up with snarky remarks in the grocery store for buying "too much" bottled water or ramen noodles. "What are you a crazy prepper?"

What a shitty way to be. What a shitty thing to have said to you because you want to have your family protected and ready for things that have been happening periodically since the Earth was formed and civilization was first created.
>>
>>765337
Oh and pasta, keep dry pasta noodles on hand with canned pasta sauce for making spaghetti and other meals.
>>
>>765343
>>765345

What about meat though? What seems attractive about MREs is not just the convenience, but also the variety as well as the fact that they've got meat in them.
>>
>>765343

Only a crazy prepper would be so sensitive
>>
>>765343
It's ridiculous because even the CDC recommends that every household have an emergency supply kit with at least 3 days worth of food and water per person at the very minimum.

>>765347
canned chicken breast, tuna, salmon, beef, chili.. There are lots of canned meats available. I keep canned chicken and turkey breast in my pantry for when I run out of frozen chicken breast. It tastes fine in soups, chicken spaghetti, chicken and rice, etc.
>>
>>765347

Plus you don't have to worry about safely storing massive quantities of staples, and keeping them free from bugs, mould, leaking containers etc
>>
>>765350

Also the fact that there's no complicated prep or actual cooking involved as such. Fuck it they might be expensive but maybe I should just get some. Moving to the UK soon anyway, they're cheaper over there.
>>
>>765350
Cans only leak if they've been stored for like 5+ years. Rotate through your stock and only buy shit that you normally use and cook with and you won't have that problem. Store dry rice, beans, flour, cornmeal, etc in sealed bags in the freezer and no bugs will infest them. When the power goes out then they're still fine.

>>765353
Well, I actually enjoy cooking and tend to cook at least 2 meals a day. I have a big bag of charcoal that I can use to cook with my dutch oven or grill outside if I have no power or gas, as well as my regular camp stove that runs off unleaded gasoline, and some firewood that I can burn to make coals to cook on as well. Hell, a storm rolled through and knocked the power out while I was in the middle of making homemade calzones one time (from scratch, including the dough). I ended up wrapping the calzones in foil and "baking" them on the grill outside. It was a challenge keeping the heat down and rotating them often enough so that they wouldn't burn on one side but it turned out alright in the end.

If you're not the type that cooks regularly or uses his camping cookware often then MREs might be a better fit for you. Trying to learn how to cook on a dutch oven or camp stove during a disaster or power outage is a bad idea. If you don't want to put the time and effort into learning how to use those things beforehand then MREs or prepper food would be better for you.
>>
File: 1453220836127.png (473 KB, 650x811) Image search: [Google]
1453220836127.png
473 KB, 650x811
>>764720
>in my car, I have
>jumper cables
>bottle jack
>spare tire
>road flares
>1st aid kit
>labeled a "crazy prepper"
>>
>>765366
The only thing I don't have on that list are the road flares. I thought all cars came with a jack and spare tire? I can't tell you how many times I've used the jumper cables, especially during college. I somehow got known as "the guy who has jumper cables" and would get randomly called by friends of a friend of a friend type people to come start their dead car. A lot of times it was a QT grill and if I was smoother then I probably could've gotten laid several times just for going and jumping a girl's car off... some of them flirted pretty hard with me but I was too awkward to make anything of it back then.
>>
>>765349

http://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/kit/food/index.asp
>>
>>764262
earthquake edc would be keeping some critical gear in your car/school/workplace to allow you to function afterwards:

sturdy boots
kneepads
gloves
eyepro
hardhat
flashlights/headlamps
camelback/water bottles
food
paper maps of your city
>>
>>765372
>kneepads

I don't live in an earthquake-prone area but we do get tornadoes here. I didn't even think about keeping kneepads on hand, that's a good idea. I always have some work boots, leather gloves, and a flashlight in my vehicle but I'll have to get some kneepads to add to that. If I'm ever in a situation where I have to climb through rubble to try and rescue someone then they'd be nice to have.
>>
>>765343
I have heard from several sane individuals that they were interviewed for "Doomsday Preppers" and were turned down seemingly because they acted in a sane fashion (IE no enormous arsenal or insane political ideas). It seems obvious watching the show that they chose some of the most outlandish people possible almost certainly to give prepping a bad name.
>>
>>765382
I've heard that too. It makes for "better tv" if you have whack jobs on there with bunkers full of 20yrs worth of food and a huge arsenal of guns and ammo I guess. It's really sad that the show effectively caused most people to view "preppers" and "prepping" in a negative light when everyone should have the common sense to keep about a weeks worth of non-perishable food and water on hand. A lot of people I know go to the grocery store once a week and buy just enough food to get them through until next week's grocery run. If they lost power for even 2-3 days (which happens quite often in this area due to ice storms taking out power lines) then they'd be completely out of food and have no alternative method of cooking anything either.
>>
>>765382
There was a guy on /tv/ that is the "king" of a micronation. I looked him up as did everyone in those few threads and he was legit. This was like 2007 I think. He said that he and his family was trying to be signed up for one of those TV shows. They were all for it until the time came for the specifics. They wanted them to say certain key words and phrases that they don't say normally. They bought the family matching military-like uniforms they were to wear while going out and shopping for weapons on the mainland.

He refused to do this even though the money was really good. He said that one of the people trying to get them to do these things said that he was actually surprised and respected him for not doing it. He said most people look at the money and do it and act as crazy as the director wants them to act.

It was really interesting and he had a hot daughter. lol
>>
>>765402
>>765386
I love that they are intentionally making us look like crazy people.

Luckily, in my field (emergency management) people consider you quite insane if you DON'T prep for disasters, because the field is entirely composed of people who know for a fact just how much the government will be able to help in a disaster and how much time it will take for that help to arrive.
>>
>>765405
I know that it's probably just some shitty people with business/marketing degrees trying to get the most bang for their buck when making these shows but I can't help feeling like it's part of some wider conspiracy to slowly make the general public more helpless and reliant on the government to take care of them when something goes wrong....
>>
>>765440
The problem with that is that the government is incapable of helping in the way most people expect it to. We spend a rather large amount of time discussing this, and we have come to the conclusion that the average person expects 'the government' to swoop in instantaneously and fix everything. Those who have even a modicum of knowledge have realized that it will take days if not a week for such things as clean water to be available to the public after a major disaster. This is due entirely to the fact that the government would rather buy new stealth fighters and other pet projects than have a proper level of preparedness for natural disasters on the local, state and federal level.
>>
>>765449
I know, which is why the conspiracy theory doesn't make much sense; for it to work properly then the government would actually have to be competent when it comes to disaster response or the people affected by the disaster would immediately become disillusioned with the idea of the government taking care of them in the future. It's really just a case of irresponsible television programming I guess.
>>
File: aridknees2.jpg (23 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
aridknees2.jpg
23 KB, 500x500
>>765376
>>765376

yeah I was in the army and doing any kind of urban operations without kneepads is really shitty, I used pic related, best I found
>>
>>765440
More reliant on consumerism really, not government. Living day to day costs more than buying bulk and planning out your life years in advance.
>>
>>765457
They get addicted to consumerism but always believe that the government will provide them with a safety net should things really get bad. Or maybe they don't even think that far ahead since they're so caught up with their day-to-day grind that they never even consider what might happen in the event that they become ill, have unexpected expenses pop up (car repair, major appliance failure, get a traffic ticket, etc), or experience some sort of disaster event.

I make pretty good money but I have friends who make 2x more than me yet they're so strung out making payments on everything from vehicles, mortgage/rent, student loans, credit cards, appliances/furniture, etc that they have next to nothing left over from their paycheck, and what little money doesn't go to bills gets blown and they're basically living paycheck to paycheck even though they bring in over $100k/yr in an area with a very low cost of living. When I ask them what they would do if they blew an engine in their car or had a water leak ruin half the flooring in their house they just shrug and say that they'll figure something out.
>>
File: 213213.png (243 KB, 920x319) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
243 KB, 920x319
>>765470
Well, I'm a Homegrowmen farmer. I have my own gardens, flock of chickens, farm pond, river, orchard, mushroom production, and 40ish acres of forested land to hunt/gather on.

I'm also 100% debt free now. I completely own all my vehicles and land. I have almost everything I want or need. My largest expense is taxes. When I buy something it is cash in hand/debit card. I already own nearly everything I need/want.

I've never made over $5,500 a year in my life.
>>
>>765478
Well I had a couple of really good years from 2013-2014 and made enough to pay off my house in the suburbs, as well as my (used) truck and (also used) motorcycle. I have no debt now. Property taxes = ~$2800/yr, homeowner's insurance = ~$1000/yr, vehicle insurance = ~$1500/yr, health insurance = ~$3000/yr, other bills (electric, gas, internet, cell phone, etc) = ~$3600/yr so that's close to $12k/yr just in taxes, insurance, and monthly expenses not even counting stuff like fuel, groceries, home repairs, etc....

I'm planning on selling my house in the suburbs and moving back to a rural area near where I grew up and where my parents live. I'd like to have a decent amount of acreage but land prices are $2k/acre at the low end up to $6k/acre for rural land with no utilities on the property (water wells cost ~$7k-$10k and hooking up to county water can run as high as $5k-$6k just to get the fuckers to tie in a meter at the road). I'll probably have to settle for about 5 acres and I plan to build a 30x50 metal shop building on it with living quarters inside that will run me ~$30k + the cost of water and electric hookups even doing most of the work myself. It's really discouraging how expensive everything is nowadays.
>>
>>765531
Wow, living expenses differences are insane between my place and yours. Then again painting "Farm Use" on a vehicle and being legally in the "monetarily destitute" range of "poor income" does have its advantages.

Do your best to remain debt free.
>>
>>765453
Oh, they can be competent at it, but the president and other politicians tend to try and put their own touches on a system that is designed to work a certain way, and that fucks things up enormously. The public's greatest misconception is mostly the timeline for assistance to arrive. Eventually, people end up donating far more things than the victims need, but they don't do it in a timely fashion, or sometimes (often) send the wrong things.
>>
>>765613
Well I'm in a part of Texas where the real estate market has exploded in the last year or so (Dallas - Ft. Worth area). Houses in decent neighborhoods are selling over list price and there are bidding wars with people fighting over them right now. I'm hoping my house will sell for ~$120k (I paid $72k for it in late 2009 during the mortgage crisis and bought it as a foreclosure). I have some friends who were looking at houses in the $250k-$300k range and 3 houses in a row that they put up offers for got bought out from under them by people moving in from California who were paying cash. It's ridiculous man... I want to move back to NE Texas closer to where I grew up (which is about 2 hours away from DFW) but all the decent land / houses are being bought by older people from the DFW area who are selling their houses in the city/suburbs and "retiring in the country". I don't think the current land prices are sustainable long-term so I really don't want to fork over a lot of cash for 20-30 acres just to have land prices collapse a few years later. That's why I've decided to shoot for ~5 acres of land with decent sandy / sandy-loam soil to start out with and then hopefully buy a nice spread later on once the prices settle down.

Property taxes will be less if I can pass off the land as "farm exempt", homeowners insurance will drop considerably for a 400 sq/ft dwelling inside of a metal building, vehicle insurance will still be too damn high, health insurance will continue to rape me, and monthly utilities will probably go down a decent amount since I won't be paying for local cable + internet at $110/mo.

I might end up setting up a rainwater catching system for my water so I wouldn't need a well or county water hookup, at 60"+ of rain a year I'd have plenty of water off the roof of the 30'x50' metal building.

It just amazes me how expensive land has gotten because when I looked about 1.5 years ago in the same area $2000/ac was on the upper end of the scale.
>>
File: 6fcNvxn.jpg (190 KB, 700x1027) Image search: [Google]
6fcNvxn.jpg
190 KB, 700x1027
>>764292
Also Christchurch, NZ 2011. It's a strange feeling seeing APC's and cadaver dogs in your city :/

Initially you'd face broken glass and crush injuries. I was on my bed and woke to a big ol' 19" CRT monitor toppled to one side of my head and big shards of glass from the shattered window on the other; teleported to the door butt nekkid and clung as it swung like a ship in heavy seas. I didn't suffer so much as a scratch though, thank dog. My wood and concrete block flat held together, but was condemned later. The brick facade on the front of the building fell in one sheet, echoing the eventual consensus that unreinforced brick structures were baaaad things. Aside from chimneys dropping off and through roofs this mostly seemed to affect old churches, which got a giggle from me.

In the large precursor earthquake our front door stuck fast but came free in the major one, so a crowbar at home might be handy to avoid climbing out broken windows.

Battery or windup radio and knowledge of the emergency broadcast frequency (National Radio channel in this case) was good to know where the safe zones were. The cell towers kept going on backup power for a few hours (instructions over radio told us to text only) but were slowed a bunch by the network storm of ppl checking on loved ones and seeking safe harbour.

Planning where to go before disaster would be good, provided it's safe after the seemingly random destruction. Wooden buildings seemed to fare better than brick and concrete.

Overall I was pleased by my performance, despite being in the midst of a depressive episode: Dress, check self, flatmate, neighbouring friend. Walk with friend to pick up his daughter from school. Human child is cold, admire human child wearing your giant leather jacket. :3 I threw together a bug out bag and we walked to friend's sister's place and slept in a bunk bed for the first time in aeons.
>>
>>765789
You don't have laws regarding anti seismic building? Are they not inforced perhaps?
>>
>>765645
I know some one from Texas. their neighbor is selling 5 acres of nothing but sand for $80k. Where I live, great land is like $6k for the same amount.
>>
File: warningKiwiDec13.jpg (131 KB, 940x607) Image search: [Google]
warningKiwiDec13.jpg
131 KB, 940x607
>>765789
cont.

Afterwards; electricity and phone lines seemed to come back up quickly, but water and sewerage took longer. Water tankers came by swiftly and later big plastic tankfuls were dropped off on every street. Learn how to dig a latrine.

About half the roads were impassable to the average car. Mountain bikes turn out to be awesome for getting around.

Regarding dust masks and goggles: the bare ground and dried liquefaction mud squeezed out of the ground covered the city in dust for a while, exacerbated by sightseers driving on the remaining roads despite pleas to keep travel to a minimum. Masks weren't necessary, but might've been nice.

Traffic was _heavy_. Feets, bicycles and motorbikes are king here.

Earthquakes can cause fires and floods too. Watch out for later cholera epidemics 'n such.

tl;dr
It's camping in a heavily populated area with attendant pressure on shelter, water, and foods, and the occasional wound. Take supplies, walk or cycle away and have yourself a wee holiday.

Pics because pics are neato
>>
>>765799
Yeah, I've seen a lot of that from people who own land on the northern outskirts of the DFW metro area, land and home prices up there are absolutely insane right now. I'm considering looking for cheaper land somewhere in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, or Kentucky but then I'd be pretty far away from my family and friends... I really like the idea of only being an hour or two away from my parents (and my grandpa who has prostate cancer, as well as a handful of aunts, uncles, and cousins) and I have a lot of friends in the area of East TX that I'd like to move to (Tyler - Longview area).
>>
>>765791
They didn't know there was a faultline near the city, and iirc it was a bad kinda shake (2G's horizontal). But given that there's a major fault running beneath the mountains running up the opposite coast of the same South Island that's supposed to cut loose _sometime_ ... <sigh> it does seem foolish.

I chalk it up to "the major danger (was) far away" and "these olde timey brick buildings are so quaint and traditional"
>>
>>765359
>If you're not the type that cooks regularly or uses his camping cookware often

I do actually but I live in a shared apartment so bbq is a bit out of the question. Also it's a matter of finding space to store stuff. So housemates probably won't be impressed if I fill the freezer with bulk staples.

Also if there's already shit going on I don't want to fumble fuck around with cooking when I can spend my energy on other stuff
>>
>>765366

kek anyone who doesn't have something along those lines is a bit stupid.

I'd add a torch and a blanket to that list as well.
>>
>>765372
>kneepads

for sucking post-apocalyptic dick?
>>
>>765815

Question for you, NZbro: did you still have internet on your phone? Did facebook work better than texting?

Also, was there any looting? I'm not a murrican gun fag (Aus here) but just curious
>>
>>765863
Ah, yeah it's tough when you're living in an apartment with roommates and have a limited amount of space.

I live in a 3br/2ba house by myself so storage space isn't a concern for me.
>>
File: earthquake apc def eieio.jpg (140 KB, 1200x854) Image search: [Google]
earthquake apc def eieio.jpg
140 KB, 1200x854
>>765872
>Question for you, NZbro: did you still have internet on your phone? Did facebook work better than texting?

I didn't have a smartphone (and still don't <shrug>). I don't remember any tales of it being better or worse. Any extra channels of communication would have to be a good thing in my book.

>Also, was there any looting?

Yeah, nah. (aka no). I remember literally one report of someone being arrested after breaching the cordon around the CBD where most of the damage took place. The army rolled in as fast as it took them to drive there and completely failed to go house to house taking guns from our cold, dead hands baka. With water trucks and most supermarkets working again there wasn't a need to loot staples to survive and malls etc were fenced and guarded.

I assume that directly afterwards everyone was looking after themselves and getting home to loved ones. Everyone was pretty shocked and edgy with the aftershocks bumping every day too, so maybe weren't in the mood for adventure. The city had something like mass PTSD and pulled together/got assistance from the rest of the country really quickly. I think any stereotypical looting would've been curbstomped damn quick.

There was a rash of arsons of abandoned houses in evacuated areas for months afterwards though, and I assume many of them had their copper ripped out.

tl;dr Disappointing lack of jackbooted stormtroopers and zombie hordes
>>
>>765478
>>I've never made over $5,500 a year in my life.
must feel good to do nothing and just inherit
>>
>>765353
MREs are bad for you. Lots of sodium, which is okay if you're active and sweating a lot but not so okay if you're just chilling.
>>
>>765149
A half dozen disposable dust masks would suffice. Get the kind with 2 straps, make sure they're NIOSH approved. You can get P-100s in that style.

About shoes- not all business or dress shoes are suitable for dealing with a street full of broken glass.
>>
>>764262
Christchurch, New Zealand.

The biggest one I've felt was a 7.8 in our Fiordland region in 2009 but that was from 100s of kms away and only felt like really gentle, slow sideways shaking.

We had a few in 2010 and 2011. The 2010 one was a 7.1 but the worst one was in 2011. That was a 6.3 but was right under the city and there was a whole bunch of geological shit that made it much worse than a quake that size should have ever been. It had 2G of vertical acceleration which really fucked most of the city. When soil is falling as fast as gravity allows and bedrock is falling faster, then the bedrock comes up and slaps the soil and makes shit so much worse.

Standard survival kits should be fine. But you should assume you're going to be without utilities for at least a month. So lots of food and heaps of water. Store way more water than you think you'll need and rotate your supply out every 6 months or so.

Hand sanitiser is your friend, also make sure you have a shovel (to dig a shitter) and plenty of TP handy.

Solar battery chargers and solar USB chargers for your phone will also come in handy if your power grid is well and truly fucked.

If you have a fireplace which has a cooking surface and a wetback (hot water pipes going through the fireplace, not a pejorative term for mexican immigrants) you'll be a lot better off.

>>765815
I seriously don't know why people bothered driving round for a look, it was quicker to walk over the city for the week or two after. Which reminds me...

Also have a couple of fuel cans at home.

It took me about 5 hours to drive home on a journey that was normally 20 or so minutes because every cunt was on the road. I keep my tank well stocked but many don't and heaps of people abandoned vehicles because of no fuel - on the side of the road, in parks, anywhere.
>>
Here on the east coast of Australia in april last year, we had a large storm knock over hundreds of trees and power lines. Roads were blocked and we were without power for a week. lesson learned, we had no supplies and no power. shit sucked. roads were cleared a few days later so we could go and buy food. No fuel, no batteries, candles or water to be had.
>>
>>765989
Not to mention their utter magical blocking power. Eat those and you may never shit again. Pack enemas, suppositories, and laxatives if you have MREs in your mess kit.

NO JOKE!
>>
>>765791
>>765824
I live in an area with old old buildings with dates ranging in the 1800s on their facades. they are all stone and brick. Any Earthquake here and the will be death traps. I however, live in a wooden structure that uses wooden pilings. The damn thing sways in the wind, literally. If and earthquake happened it would give me one hell of a ride but wouldn't actually collapse; up to a certain point obviously.

A few other structures here like the dry stone block buildings should also fair better since they have no mortar and will cushion the effects to a certain degree due to their jiggle room.

The older structures with mortar are not reinforced at all. So when they crack the chunk just fall off. Un-reinforced masonry is only good in non-earthquake/non-subsidence areas where it won't be cracking. It will last 100s of years longer than steel reinforced stuff because there's no regular steel to corrode inside, expand, and crack the structure over time (stainless steel reinforced bridges use SS to prevent this very problem). So, if you're going to have the best masonry structure for longevity it will be reinforced with stainless steel. Otherwise, just go with a building that can take the swaying.

Then again, nothing is truly safe if the Earthquake is big enough or happens to have just the right "Resonant Frequency" to obliterate the material your building uses the most.
>>
>>764411
Thought about this a little more. Based on my own experience, some kind of portable toilet would be good. Having to use a drink bottle with a small mouth is not really pleasant to use.

Also, think about what you'll do after the quake. In particular, don't watch constant news reports about the disaster. It's just not good for your psychological health.
>>
>>765176
Anything you feel like sharing to be honest.
>>
>>765348
Kek
>>
>>766066

I suppose it's all the carbs and sugars. I'd only be living on them for a couple of days though. And I'd rather be eating that then fighting people at the shops for the last can of 20 year old pickled spam.
>>
>>765645
Oh great, another housing bubble.
When will we learn?
>>
>>766227
It is probably because of the earthquakes in Oklahoma. Fracking is banned there now because of it, but isn't banned in Texas yet so all the companies are fracking even more in Texas. Inflation of mineral rights and land happens along with that. The fracking value bubbles last only about 2-3 years max normally.
>>
>>765789
>Wooden buildings

Probably because wood can flex. Wood is such a based material when you think about it.

>>765815
I had no idea New Zealand was so geologically active.
>>
>>766227
Eh, most of the oil industry has collapsed in TX. US Steel has shut down several steel mills that were producing high pressure pipe used in fracking and natural gas production and laid off like 4k people. There are over 10k uncapped abandoned wells in TX right now since most of the small to mid sized petroleum companies here have gone out of business due to the absurdly low oil prices. The large oil companies are buying up all the leases and mineral rights for pennies on the dollar and will just shelve them until they're profitable again. The housing boom here has more to do with lots of businesses moving their headquarters and manufacturing to Texas in the last couple of years from places like California since we have fewer regulations and a lower tax burden here. It's estimated that ~1 million people will relocate to Texas from other states in the next few years.

Something's gotta give though because these land prices for unimproved property out in the sticks have become completely untenable. Nobody makes any money running small herds of cattle and there really isn't much acreage being used for crop production in East TX so trying to sell that shit for $4k to $8k an acre is completely unreasonable.
>>
>>766272
A properly constructed wood building with a adequately constructed and attached foundation will survive all but the most extreme earthquakes.
>>
File: rampageIMDB.jpg (19 KB, 182x268) Image search: [Google]
rampageIMDB.jpg
19 KB, 182x268
OP here, I let this thread simmer for a weekend and came back to 70+ posts. Excited that I actually found a subject that allot of /out/ peeps had a opinion on. Thank you for those who posted within the subject and stayed on the subject.
For you other dumb fuckers.. who just shit post up the place out of boredom from waiting for your dick to get hard again to jack off to pictures of your sister or cousin Sue or Bobby.

Nobody gives a fuck about your income or your taxes. If it is or isnt a "preppers thread".

Geezus fucking christ its because of people like you that /out/ is the outhouse of 4chan.
Fuck all of you who went so far off topic. Create your own goddamn thread next time. Stupid fuckers.
>>
>>764262
6.8 in japan on a trip. i guess it was a bit out at sea though so not terrible. everything was swaying. I'm a seismologist actually. But I do more like exploration for minerals and hydrocarbons. Lots of seismic activity in the pacific rim this year. An unusual amount in fact. Get ready for the big cascadia earthquake pacific north westerners.

I'd personally recommend a small flashlight, a water bottle, and even a survival blanket. Long term: some solar lanterns, warm blankets, and bleach to purify water. you can purify a huge amount of water with a container of bleach. My grandma lived in england during ww2. she always had a good supply of canned and dry foods and water in the basement. Also having a bike after a big disaster is probably going to make your life easier. Something that can be used to haul stuff.
>>
>>766825
Thanks, yea many of those items are already in one of my bags.

I dont exactly trust the bleach here in Taiwan I just assume they cut it with some other random chemicals for profit. Probably inert but I dont feel like drinking that.. I'll just boil if it comes to that.

During the last "major disaster" here... i.e Typhoon.. all the water systems got wrecked with unsettled sand. I assume that will happen again... which leads to toilets unworkable in a city of 8 million easy.

Typhoons love to follow earthquakes.. so dont shit post me I am going off topic now.

Luckily we were up at 3 am enjoying the crazy weather and made huge purchases of bottled water.. the next day people were searching everywhere for that item and paying crazy prices in some locations. We still have about 5 gallons since then. For two people.

I guess, I will add a shovel to my kit... but I probably will just go shit in the school park across the street if it comes to that... welcome to Taiwan. Adding toilet paper and few other luxuries to my kit to keep the wife sane. It's big enough island.. we will probably just go on a vacation if it ever gets that bad.
>>
>>766825
It'd be better to use a filter than bleach. Carrying around bleach takes up more space and is heavier than just a filter.

>>766824
>Typical crazy prepper response.
>crazy /k/ movie pic about crazy guy getting revenge on society because he's worthless
>talks about weird family things that are probably projection
>basically just shitposts

I don't think /out/ is the board for you, kid.
>>
>>766839
fuck you and your cousins Bobby and Sue... orgasm-addict.
>>
>>766824

Would you like some fries with your salt?
>>
>>766855
may your sperm be infertile so that your lineage never continues to contaminate this earth.
>>
>>766824
4chan may not be the place for you, maybe you should try interest-specific forums if you prefer threads that contain no "off topic" replies.
>>
>>766865

Why don't you taste it and tell me if it's good or not
>>
>>767023
Good luck selecting the proper bathroom fagboy.
>>
>>767029

Why so buttmad, Trump voter?
>>
>>766824
4chan is the outhouse of the internet. It's why I come here in the first place. Sometimes discussions get off topic in a good way and something comes of it. Other times in devolves into funposting :^) and clever and amusing insults.

If you don't like the stink of internet feces stay out the toilet.

>I do like this topic tho
>>
>>766824
>doesn't realize that financial bubbles bursting like housing can trigger civil unrest to the point of riots in the street
>>
File: 1463349344037.png (353 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1463349344037.png
353 KB, 1500x1000
>>767581
Doesnt understand that you could have created your own fucking thread regarding that scenario.
>>
>>767581
>riots in the street
this only happens in areas with large shitskin populations.
>>
>Earthquake thread
>It's about preppers
>>>/k/
>>
>>766038
Did you drive home over the Swanns Rd bridge?
>>
>>766272
Ya, my mum had a house in Waltham (not Op btw) It was an old grounds keeper house for the school next door (1 vienna Street). It was wood and flexed super noice. When the first wake up call earthquake happened, I was in Methven, sleeping in a caravan. I thought people where rocking the whole van side to side, so I jumped out ready to punch somebody but nobody was around. So I kek'd and went back to sleep.

The real bad one that fucked the city up hardcore, well I literally left the city 120 minutes prior and was flying to Sydney, and the LCD screens lit up in front of us and we got to see what was going on. I was literally at the Cathedral 2 hours ago, and it came down.
Everybody in Christchurch is an amateur seismologist now haha
>>
Literally, just have like a shit tonne of water, rice, beans and those shitty Korean BBQ set ups with the cheap as fuck butane canisters. Or if you want to be a faggot buy 4 boxes of Aussielend. And you are good OP. Tea lights for night. Unless you live in a thirdworld shit hole. Then id recommend getting a chemical toilet.
>>
>>768064

>Ya

What are you, a german or a teenage girl?
>>
>>768068
>Aussielend

wut?
>>
>>768068
>Unless you live in a thirdworld shit hole. Then id recommend getting a chemical toilet.

You obviously haven't been through a decent quake. The first thing to go is all the underground pipes, including sewer and water mains.

First thing is, don't flush the toilet. The water in the cistern and your hot water tank are what you've got to be getting on with till help comes.
>>
>>768084
Well yeah, but I mean cmon brah, New Zealand is a third-world shit hole, if you really look at it closely.
Christchurch pipes are all old as fuck, so yeah, that's why I recommended the chem bog.
>>768077
16/f/Munich
>>
>>767897
So, USA, Europe, etc.

>>767878
>posts peaceful demonstration juxtaposed with an acne-covered /k/ tard who lost it leg

Crazy prepper spotted.
>>
>>765158
Really late reply but it's a mix of rice, dry pasta, dried beans, flour, sugar, oil, powdered milk, quick oats, dried apricots, raisins, stock cubes, and some canned food for the first couple of days in case we can't safely cook for whatever reason. There's also soap and detergent concentrate, in addition to what else I've mentioned.

Water isn't too big of a concern, I have a few bottles, but where I live has a really good clean catchment area. Thankfully the youngest is breastfed, I would hate to think of how much of a pain preparing breast milk substitute formula would be in a disaster. Yet another point in favour of boobs I guess.
>>
>>768064
>I jumped out ready to punch somebody but nobody was around. So I kek'd and went back to sleep.

lol, nice

>>768093
>16/f/Munich
Gutentag
>>
>>768635
Post tits on /s/
I think you should step up your water game tho pham
>>
>>768919
I don't have the tits, wife does, which absolves me of tits or gtfo.

But I probably should up the water game a wee bit.
>>
>>768966
I know you were referring to your waifu, just curious. My gf wants babbies and I'm curious to see what happens to tits.
Have we ever had a thread topic about taking care of young kids during a disaster? I'm not sure I'd know what to do. They come with a unique set of challenges.
>>
>>766839
>Carrying around bleach takes up more space and is heavier than just a filter.

You need literally 3-4 drops of bleach for 1 litre of water.
A small 40ml dropper with bleach will last you for weeks.
>>
>>769262

You need literally 1 Sawyer for 400,000 litres of water.

A Sawyer mini will last you for decades.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.