[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hitchhiking in Japan Q&A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: DSCI0108.jpg (2 MB, 2864x2144) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0108.jpg
2 MB, 2864x2144
>be Geranon
>hitchhiked in glorious Nippon twice 2007 and 2015 each time for about a month

Maybe there is interest in this.
To be short: It is great to hitchhike in Japan
>>
>>763271
I have family out there and I've wanted to hitchhike in Japan but I image I'd have to kawaii myself the fuck out to get picked up and have a better command of the language
>>
>>763271
Are onsens over-hyped?

Also, what do you think is the most beautiful part of Japan?
>>
>>763271
Are you fluent in japanese?
What places did you visit?
Did you get shit for being a foreigner?
>>
File: DSCI0165.jpg (2 MB, 2864x2144) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0165.jpg
2 MB, 2864x2144
>>763284
>Are onsens over-hyped?
No. Onsen are godtier. And it one thing I REALLY miss back here. They are also mostly if you want just go bathing cheap as fuck like 3-5 Euro cheap for no time limit.
Staying at a onsen is are great expierience but expansive for an university student.
>Also, what do you think is the most beautiful part of Japan?
The first time I have been in Kansai and Kanto. The last time in Aomori and Hokkaido. So I caan't tell you anything about south Japan.
With that said I liked North Japan more. A lot more nature and rural landscape. Beautiful scenery.

>>763285
Are you fluent in japanese?
First time: Anime knowlegde
Second time: Speaking yes, reading and writing no (FUCK YOU KANJI!)

>What places did you visit?
Most prominent places:
First time:
Gunma prefecture - Nagano - Kyoto - Japanseaside - Tokyo
Second time:
Utsunomiya - Sapporo - Amori - Ooarai (GuP paradise) - Tokyo

Did you get shit for being a foreigner?
Good question: Generally no
There were two times where a clerk gave me bullshit. But not right into the face. He was polite all the times but I got the message "We don't like people like you here!"

On the other side. Literally the first thing I always said was: "I am a German!" this gave me a huge bonus. They don't care about other Europeans but Burgers would have a harder times I guess.

>>763283
>I'd have to kawaii myself the fuck out to get picked up and have a better command of the language
No I couldn't really speak Jap the first time and I am a big fit white guy with blonde hair and all. I hitchhiked through Europe and it was easiest in Japan to get a ride. I waited sometimes like 5 minutes.
What I rarelly read in books but I found out: Japanese are crazy curious! They want to know what a fucking Gaijin is doing here in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>763289
Fuck ...sorry for bad Engurishu. Will correct next posts better.
>>
>>763289
Why did you decide to hitchhike? And where did you stay most of the time? Did you ever try out the capsule hotels?
>>
>>763289
I'm tall black and strangely andro yet athletic. My Japanese hafu cousins compliment me as do Japanese tourist costumers but I'm not dumb enough to not recognize we'd have two different experiences haha

Happy for you though, I hitchhiked all around Maui for two months. That place is Fucking great for me though apparently most native Hawaiians and non-white locals don't pick up hippies/white people as much
>>
File: DSCI0382.jpg (2 MB, 2864x2144) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0382.jpg
2 MB, 2864x2144
>>763293
>Why did you decide to hitchhike?
It is cheap. And if you really want to know the people of a foreign country there is no better option. Everytime, no matter where, I got invited a couple of times to stay at peoples houses. So I drank with them chated with them and really got to know how they tick.
You get to know a crossover of the population. In Scotland a workingclass man from Glasgow gave me a bed for the night, a scottish MP a ride to the Highlands and I was allowed to sleep at a peasants barn where the next moring his wife gave me sandwiches and milk for the road.

In Japan I met and talked with students, salarymen, housewifes, soldiers, fabricworkers, doctors ...I think you get the gists out of it.

>And where did you stay most of the time?
I made some aims beforehead like "I want to go to Sapporo." So if I have to sleep on the road between Point A and B I slept often at Internet cafes. They are open 24/7 you get your own booth mit a PC and enough space to lie down to sleep in your sleepingbag. Once there I slept mostly at youth hostels. They are comfy and as cheap as 18 Euros a night in the middle of the city.
But sometimes pic related and sometimes some Japanese that were so kind to take me for a ride also offered me a palce to sleep.

>>763298
>I'm tall black and strangely andro yet athletic
Sorry to be frank here but you would have massive problems getting by outside of Tokyo. And I think hitchhiking would be outright impossible for you.

But Tokyo is still a very cool metropolis and worth it.

>I hitchhiked all around Maui for two months. That place is Fucking great for me though apparently most native Hawaiians and non-white locals don't pick up hippies/white people as much
Awesome! How came you choose Maui?
>>
>"I am a German!" this gave me a huge bonus
Kek, some friendships never die
>Lemongina
I couldn't bring myself to drink that.

Sounds like an awesome time. How easy was hitchhiking compared to in Europe?
Did you ever wild camp, and what was that like?
>>
>>763299
My friends own property in Maui so I got to live there for free. I used the houses as a home bases for my travels and also knew me being popolo wouldn't be a problem so long as I was around enough non-white people. Surfers, a politician, artists and all sorts were super sweet.

The local Japanese community is super chill though but I know through my family and experience that they aren't the same as Japan Japanese people.

Anyone marginally attractive and blond gets treated well in Japan, no offence to you but yeah westernization and all that lol.
>>
I'm seconding OP's recommendation for hitchhiking Japan, but this totally belongs on /trv/

I hitchhiked straight from the airport to Sendai over the course of two days. Shit was dope. Didn't pay for my own meal once.
>>
File: DSCI0981.jpg (2 MB, 2864x2144) Image search: [Google]
DSCI0981.jpg
2 MB, 2864x2144
>>763303
>Kek, some friendships never die
If you just knew. I was given free beer at a takeaway just for being German. And pic are my first cigarettes ever. Also given to me by a Jap just for being German and because literal brothers in arms and "nexttime without italy!" stuff.

>I couldn't bring myself to drink that.
It was okay. Just wanted to drink something new

>How easy was hitchhiking compared to in Europe?
Easier and milliontimes as safe. You can sleep at a park with your wallet on top of you and wake up next moring with still everything at its place. It is crazy just how safe Japan generally is. Tokyo has some shaddier places but nothing compared to lets say Duisburg Marxloh, where you are beaten and robbed in bright daylight just for being white.

>>763305
Glad you have had a good time. Any other places you hitchhiked?

>Anyone marginally attractive and blond gets treated well in Japan, no offence to you but yeah westernization and all that lol
Non taken. But I think it is slightly more complicated. Americans even the blond blue eye are threated very differently.
A white girl I met at a hostel in Tokyo told me that her group was asked if they are americans at a museum entrance (in Hiroshima if I remember). She said 'Yes' and they were forbidden to go inside.
When I talked with Japanese about Americans a lot of them less educated ones don't like them. The educated ones don't like them but think they are a necessary evil because of China

But this is just my limited view on this matter.

>>763308
From the /out/ sticky:
>>Outdoor recreational activities (Hiking, trail running, bushwhacking, camping, spelunking, geocaching, orienteering, expeditions, urban exploration, backpacking, etc.)
>hiking, backpacking

I am normaly a fa/tg/uy. But after reading this I thought this board is the place for this thread. I assume that things could get lost in translations. Depending on the region in German hitchhiker is refered to as a 'Backpacker' or a 'Tramper'
>>
>>763312
Strangely enough most uneducated Japanese don't really see Americans as being non-white. Like people legitimately believe we are recent immigrants ourselves so I wonder outside of Tokyo if I'd even be considered American American.

I guess so ling as they don't see me as some Nigerian I'll be fine because regardless of hitchhiking or not I'm going to go there.

I won't rap, dance, shoot hoops or like do that sambo shit though so I won't be as popular as others who play a role to feel a part of the group.

Other places to hitchhike? No not really, black hitchhikers in most parts of the US dot get picked up unless they are female and/or with a white person. I'd be worried to hitchhike in Germany or France or like anywhere else for that matter.
>>
>>763319
Actually I forgot.

New Zealand would be the only realistic option.
>>
>>763319
>No not really, black hitchhikers in most parts of the US dot get picked up unless they are female and/or with a white person. I'd be worried to hitchhike in Germany or France or like anywhere else for that matter.
I don't know but I would rather feel save in Russia then in the USA in regards of hitchhiking. I haven't been in either country but that is my impression in regards of savety while traveling.

I don't know if you follow the political happenings in the world but two years ago it would be totally cool for you to hitchhike in Germany. Now because of the refugee problem not so much.
>>
>>763324
I stay aware of right wing backlash and general global shenanigans but I still wouldn't want to be in hitchhiking in Germany. Too many friends talk about what Germany is like for them outside of Berlin for me to want to take that step.

But keep on going OP :3
>>
>>763271
From yt videos I've seen I get tje impression that japanese have a love-hate relation with the outdoors. They seem to love it, but hate the experience and buy a thousend little things to carry along when camping to make their camp the closest thing to their homes while /out/. Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think about it OP? Can you tell us more about their camping ways?

Here's a couple videos that show what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzQLuIJ5K8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xom895m-EIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTQ-HcjVuK0
>>
>>763324
Sigh. Unfortunately yet another thing /out/ cant into. America is safe as fuck to hitch and travel. We have the biggest tramp scene in the world, with national forests in almost every state. I know a fuck ton of black tramps, they will tell you the same thing as anyone who travels, dont go where you know you arent wanted. The good thing is most of the backwoods racist fucksticks keep to their own little places and theres never a reason to go to them. Like, you wouldnt travel into the middle of iowa just to see what cornfields look like dig? Little bit of common sense goes a long way. I want to go tramp japan due to the safety thing though, its just a cakewalk there. Even though you arent gonna get robbed and fucked up on the road here you still cant sleep at a park at night.
>>
>>763271
Have you been tested for radiation?
>>
>>763543
>nigoru piggu go home
Nips are well known racists m8
>>
How do you hitchhike in Japan? Just stick your thumb out? Do you keep your thumb out while hiking or find a place to sit and wait for someone to pick you up?

Can I use a Visa card in Japan or would I have to carry cash?
>>
>>763558
So you know that, but you cant figure out how to read. I know theyre fuckin racists dickwad i was talking about america.
>>
>>763568
>I want to go tramp japan due to the safety thing though, its just a cakewalk there
>>
>it's one of those threads filled with neckbeard stupid cartoons lovers
Wwwwweeeeeewwwww la
>>
>>763480

Kamegorou is the most /out/ Japanese youtuber.

https://youtu.be/y5EQ2o-amXA
>>
>>763550
>Have you been tested for radiation?
No

>>763560
>How do you hitchhike in Japan?
>Do you keep your thumb out while hiking or find a place to sit and wait for someone to pick you up?
Exactly this. At a nice place where someone can stop the car and see you from a mile away.

>Can I use a Visa card in Japan or would I have to carry cash?
You can pay at most hotels and so with Visa but all in all I would say Japan is a cash country. I never used a credit card (don't even have any ...and jep that is a german thing), but simply withdrew money with my bankcard(depositcard?) at bigger post offices or even supermarkets.

>>763480
>Maybe I'm wrong, what do you think about it OP?
No you are totally right. I talked with a jap whose hobby was to buy and collect /out/ thing but never used them.
>Can you tell us more about their camping ways?
That said they have camping grounds. Wild camping is unheard of (but ther are beggers and homeless people and such that do it, never met one though). I camped at a camping side and besides me there were just two bikers with their tent that did a nationwide tour. They had not that much equipment as far as I could see it.

Others like rich or upper middle class people just have big campers and call it camping and going indawoods. Even it the camping ground is just 3 km from the next city away.

All in all I think there are different types of Japanese in this regard, but being /out/ isn't exactly their strong suit.
Also everyone thought that my backpack is way to heavy (some 25-30 kg) I had many hillarious monents when Japs tried to give me or lift my backpack
>>
>>763580
Is english your second language or something
>>
>>763560
>How do you hitchhike
I cannot speak for Japan but from personal experience (easily of 20k miles on my thumb) I can tell you that if you are just standing and holding your thumb out it takes forever to get a ride.
You need to walk and walk hurriedly or at least look it. People will help you if they think you really need to be somewhere.
>>
>>763480
>Here's a couple videos that show what I'm talking about.

Thanks to you I just spent the last hour watching videos of japs camping.
All of them taking half of their houses in their backpacks and random bags.

But I'll be damned if it didn't look comfy.
>>
File: IMGP0838.jpg (3 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0838.jpg
3 MB, 4000x2248
>>763271
OP I'm also a German who studied in Japan and did lots of Hitchhiking. To bad we didn't met before. I went to Japan for another 6 months work after my studies. Now doing my master's and thinking of moving back afterwards but the work culture is horrible. But I really miss Japan, the nature, onsen, food, etc.

> "I am a German!" this gave me a huge bonus.
I can confirm. Some called me their ww2-buddy then.
>>
>>763849
Kek. I found them looking for a stove or something: I think they sorta like to show off their setups and items. Almost like collectors as anon said earlier. The second thing that I find interesting is the amount of food the average jap is able to eat. They are constantly producing food out of bags and just seat there and eat the whole videos.
>>
>>763858
I don't know why but pictures of even the most banal places in Japan are so aesthetic.
>>
File: unbelievable-places-7-2.jpg (219 KB, 880x587) Image search: [Google]
unbelievable-places-7-2.jpg
219 KB, 880x587
>>763895
Japanese know a lot about aesthetics, it is part of their culture. Not only their cities, towns, villages but also food, fashion, etc.
>>
>>763480
>steamed bacon
>>
>>763636
>frog sushi
>>
Guys watch this early form of shitposting. Interesting because it gives an insight into the fibers and tinkering used by these fuckers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=134&v=xoRO1LJ05SM
>>
Hey OP, do you think an Asian American would get treated very differently in Japan?
>>
>>763667
>I talked with a jap whose hobby was to buy and collect /out/ thing but never used them.
So what you're saying is that the gearfag and knife generals are actually just filled with Japanese posters?
>>
>>767080
Are we talkin /out/ or full on living in nipland

And what kind of asian
>>
File: German WW2 soldier.jpg (35 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
German WW2 soldier.jpg
35 KB, 300x460
>>767080
Tbh I don't know. At frist I think yes. But only because they would think you are some kind of asian. I met a lot of Taiwanese in Tokyo and what they told me is that they generally love to make vacation in Japan. No stories about bad treetment or something like that.

So at first they would treat you good (if you are a tourist. Those koreans and chinks living in Japan can tell you a totally different story). Don't really know about the american thing in your case. It would be 100% harder if you have japanese ancestors and name and so on.

The wife of a acquaintance of me is Japanese but lived most of her adult life in Germany. They went back to Japan because he got a job there. She was treated terribly, because you see, there are a lot of small day to day rituals and stuff how you treat your fellow japanese, which she simply forgot. So in the eyes of her neighbours she was extremly rude and barbaric in her ways. So they treated her like an outsider and made her simply feel unwanted. The good thing is: Japanese don't expact t ourists to act like japanese! Just be polite and you will be fine.

TL;DR: You your ancestor are chinks, act like a tourist, don't mention america and you will be treated well.

>>767127
Kek. Could be. The shop where I talked to this guy was pretty crazy. It was a shop in akihabara filled with /out/door stuff but also SS-Uniforms (to my honest surprise tailored in Berlin). I think for some japanese /out/fags it is just another kind of cosplay. But as the vids show above there are also real /out/ japs.
>>
>>768222
Japs are known germanboos.
>>
>>763299
>sandals
>flecktarn tent

Yeah you are German alright
>>
File: wei kuo.jpg (33 KB, 499x400) Image search: [Google]
wei kuo.jpg
33 KB, 499x400
>>768222
that is a pic of Chiang Wei-kuo, Chiang Kai-shek's son
he studied at the Munich military academy
>>
File: 503_xlarge.jpg (215 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
503_xlarge.jpg
215 KB, 800x534
>>>/trv/1113177

i'm going to tokyo with my family in january, and this picture about gives me a fucking claustrophobic panic attack everytime i look at it
>>
>>768389
From what undeveloped third world shithole open landscape infrastructure lacking no road country are you posting anon?
>>
>>767991
Viet.

>>768222
Thanks. I guess I'll just casually speak english and people will be surprised and treat me like a gaijin. I am a super polite person though so hopefully I won't get into any trouble.
>>
>>768222
I'm moving to Japan in a few months and I really want to go hitchhiking over there but I'm too scared of doing it because I'm a female. Do you think it would be safe enough for me? I can speak some japanese, I'm 20 years old and I'm half white/half japanese.
>>
Got this link from /trv/ hope it interests you

>http://grrrltraveler.com/category/countries/asia/japan/
>>
>>769783
Get a sim card if it bothers you. Self-defense laws are iffy and you'll go straight to jail if you carry anything eye-brow-raising. Get a boxcutter.

>moving to Japan in a few months
Apprehensive as fuck. The rapists aren't going to be the one that kills you in Japan.

>>768582
If you're just visiting try not to act like one of the mainland chinese tourists and you'll be fine.
>>
Kind of a dumb question but how is the bug situation in Japan?

Mosquitoes? Spiders? Fucking japo hornets?

Are they attacking you in the night? How bad is it compared to, say, the US?
>>
>>769862
I was in July and Mai in Japan. So from my experiance: no problem at all. Wasn't bitten once.

When I camped once there where orange/red tree lice that sneaked into my tent in masses. But they where just there, lurking in the corners an that was it.

>>769783
>I'm a female. Do you think it would be safe enough for me?

Difficult one. While I felt save 99,9% of my time in Japan there are shaddy people. One the other hand Japan is one of the countries with really low rape numbers (5 times as low as in Germany).
>>
>>763319

If you're black you're fucked.

Call out raycissm or whatever you like, but blacks have a reputation.

If anyone thinks blacks have it bad in the USA and Europe try going to India or Asia in general.

They treat blacks worse than street dogs.
>>
>>763271

I'd love to do the same but I'm scared as shit of radiation.
>>
>>770374
No not really. Blacks made up a middle class in Java during dutch colonialism and some still remain, in India they are poor but so is everyone else, in China there is discrimination but many are wealthier than the average Chinese and are namely business men and traders.

So there is no need to lie anon, it's silly.
>>
>>770374
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKE-H7UpF4
>>
>>770477
>a handfull of YOUNG people in Tokyo
>representative

kek
>>
>>770465

Blacks get lynched in India. It doesnt matter if they're as poor as indians, indians hate them. Black tourists are treated like shit,

In Nepal you have to know your sherpas, otherwise blacks are fucked because nobody likes them.

Chinese, Koreans, japs...etc... all despide blacks and have strong prejudice against them.

Of course nobody would fuck with a rich businessman regardless of color, you're just nitpicking.
>>
>>770988
>Being this dense.

Kek.
>>
>>763832
This is bad advice, the most important thing is having enough space for them to safely and easily pull over. Anything else is secondary.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.