[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
had a sleep study done last year after wife was scared i was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: CPAP.png (41 KB, 366x305) Image search: [Google]
CPAP.png
41 KB, 366x305
had a sleep study done last year after wife was scared i was suffocating every night, turns out I have sleep apnea

>inb4 fat ass

i'm not fat

So the doctor prescribed me a CPAP machine and holy shit it's like a new lease on life and now can't live without it.

however, i'm not sure what to do come camping season.who else /cpap/ here and what do you do when innawoods overnight?

it's not that i want to get a good night sleep. It's that i'm concerned my body is used to the cpap and that if i go to sleep without i might die - particularly after a good day hiking.

there seem to be lots of options, just looking for firsthand accounts
>>
>>762441
They make mouth guards/pieces that are more effective than CPAPs, cheaper, safer, no noise, portable.
I don't really get sleep apnea. I guess I die (ie stop breathing) pretty much every night according to my wife but I sleep really well, wake up without an alarm between 5-7 every day, am active, really have no issues other than I snore a fuckton and stop breathing until I suffocate myself enough to wake up and repeat process, and run on sentences. I'm really good at those.
>>
>>762463
>I don't really get sleep apnea.
>I guess I die (ie stop breathing) pretty much every night according to my wife but I sleep really well, wake up without an alarm between 5-7 every day, am active, really have no issues other than I snore a fuckton and stop breathing until I suffocate myself enough to wake up and repeat process

I think you might want to get a medical professional's opinion on that if you have not done so already...
>>
>>762463
RRT and RPSGT here.
You do not die, whoever told you this is fucking stupid. Would you say you die just because you hold your breath?
You are right about the mouth pieces though. DO NOT get some gimmicky piece of shit you have seen on an infomercial (breatheright, sure sleep, zzypah, etc.). They will not correct OSA. They are for the treatment of snoring. Snoring =/= OSA. You can go to an AASM certified dentist or orthodontist to be fitted for a mandibular advancement device. Once you get used to wearing the device you will never use a cpap again.
There is also a surgery you can have called the UPPP (google it). If the surgery is a success it can correct your OSA.
If you have a mild or moderate case of OSA alot of time sleeping position will help while /out/. Sleep on your side or at an incline. Hammocks are GOAT for sleeping at an incline and alleviating OSA symptoms.
If you are truly not fat then you should seriously look into the UPPP surgery. If you are overweight just do what you can to lose the weight. Weight reduction is the number 1 thing you can do to improve OSA.
Hope this helps anons.
>>
>>762463

OP here, and I would have said the same thing prior to the sleep study. But fact is you aren't getting into a deep sleep if you are experiencing apnea. and that means a host of terrible things for your longterm health.

The sleep study clearly showed that with the CPAP I was off into a deep, healthy sleep and without it, I never even got close.

get yr shit checked
>>
>>762441
If you camp in state parks or national parks, there are outlets at the camp sites. Bring a long extension cord. No more deep woods camping for you. Unless you want to go without. You could try lugging in a UPS or generator for you CPAP if you want to do deep woods, but both options are ridiculously heavy and it might not be worth your efforts.
I would camp at one of the sites with an outlet and then just drive from there to good hiking areas and do lots of day hike. Sorry. Sucks. At least you've got the CPAP and you're breathing again.
>>
>>762441
sleep on the side
problem solved
>>
>>762441
had a buddy die earlier this year after he went out drinking and forgot to use his CPAP. skinny as a rail but that didn't make a difference
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 800x900
>>762441
Does it really make a huge difference with quality of sleep? I know I snore, but maybe I need to get tested.

>tfw no qt3.14 in bed next to me to tell me I stopped breathing for 5 minutes last night
>>
>>762537
>You do not die
it was sarcasm sweetheart. I obviously don't die unless there are a hell of a lot of alternate universes.
>sleep position
I can assure you that an elbow in the ribs will make me get on my side.
>>762534
>medical professional's opinion
I haven't & its a bone of contention since the wife is in the medical field.

FML
>>
>>762765

honestly can't exaggerate how great it is. huge fucking difference and my case isn't even that bad relatively speaking.
>>
>>762761
Holy shit, so he just suffocated in his sleep or something? I've notice that when I'm nursing a bad hangover and trying to nap it off the next day that I sometimes just stop breathing.... It's not that anything is obstructing my breathing or anything, I just don't breathe for a LONG time and end up waking up because of it. It's really started worrying me to the point that I don't get really wasted anymore (which is a good thing I guess).
>>
>>762855
yeah he had an apnea episode but the alcohol kept suppressed his gasping reflex and he went hypoxic for long enough that he was physically dead not just brain dead
>>
>>762861
Damn, that really sucks man, sorry to hear that.
>>
File: 41HjxTaBB5L.jpg (17 KB, 326x500) Image search: [Google]
41HjxTaBB5L.jpg
17 KB, 326x500
>>762441
Get a dolly cart, a car battery, and an DC to AC inverter. The bigger the battery the longer it will last. A 105Ah Marine Deep cycle Lead Acid battery should last a damn long time. However, it is heavy so use the dolly car. Make sure to get one with solid tires, not pneumatic/air tires. Always pull it, don't push it, and it will go right over bumps like nothing.

You can also get a motorcycle/ATV battery instead which will be much lighter. Regardless that stuff and more can fit easily on the dolly and not be a problem. You probably just need a mid-sized battery around 25Ah. They are rechargeable too so you could set out a solar panel to trickle charge it all day (car battery solar trickle charger). And, with a USB attachment you can charge up phones and laptops, etc.

I've had sleep apnea before. You fell fucking wasted right down to your bones like you can't do anything. It is terrible. I seem to only ever get it if I try to take a nap in the middle of the day. You're right it doesn't seem to be triggered by fat weight. Mine seems to be more mental or something. I'll wake up gasping. Like one big suck in of air then sit up and feel like shit for the rest of the day.
>>
>>762873
>not just running a generator inside your tent
>>
>>762463
As someone who's wife does this... Please please go get it checked out for your wife's sake. Before she looses her sanity.
>>
File: battery power pack box.jpg (33 KB, 520x373) Image search: [Google]
battery power pack box.jpg
33 KB, 520x373
>>762441
> looking for firsthand accounts

My buddy uses a C-Pap machine when he sleeps (he ain’t fat either) and one thing he mentioned, was when deer hunting in a pop-up camper, he put the compressor/air intake part outside the camper, as it makes a bit of noise and he didn’t want to disturb the other guy and he ended up freezing the hell out of his lungs, as it was pumping cold outside air right up his nose and mouth.

Also, apparently the factory battery kit don’t last for shit (dead ofter one night) and takes forever to recharge, so you’ll probably want to put together an AGM battery power pack to run your C-Pap machine when camping.
>>
File: AGM-battery.jpg (93 KB, 567x394) Image search: [Google]
AGM-battery.jpg
93 KB, 567x394
>>762873
>Marine Deep cycle Lead Acid battery

Is obsolete technology, it's all AGM batteries nowadays.
>>
>>762915
AGM is a type of lead acid battery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
>>
I find if my nose is unblocked I can breath fine. But due to my deviated septum, only one nostril works well. So if that one is closed then I'm fucked.

If I try breathing through my mouth I keep gagging because my throat collapses even though that doesn't happen when I am breathing through my good nostril. Good nostril equals great sleep, otherwise I only sleep lightly from the gag.
>>
>>762441
CPAP, yeah. But I am a fatass so I don't do much deep innawoods. I just looked for campgrounds with power outlets.

They make smaller, lower-power portable units that run off DC specifically for portable use, but those cost money. Unless your insurance is God-tier you can likely find one online cheaper than your deductible. They're available with a copy of your prescription.

You can also just run a good battery as others have mentioned already, but then you have to lug about a battery which can suck if you're moving camp each night. Depending on your model there may even be a DC-DC adapter available already made, or you can wire one up yourself if you're at all comfortable with electronics. More efficient to run direct from the battery than it is to use an AC inverter off a battery then back the brick for the CPAP.
>>
>>762765
Train a doggo to wake you up when you go quite?
>>
>>762441
med student here. You won't die if you skip the cpap but you won't get good sleep and probably wake up a few times during the night.
>>
>>762915
>Absorbed Glass Mat Bettery
The electrolyte is just in fiberglass wicks around the plates, man
>>
File: AGM battery box.jpg (248 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
AGM battery box.jpg
248 KB, 1600x1600
>>763350
>>763542

There are all kinda different types of batteries and while a deep-cycle boat battery would also serve if OP were to put together a battery box power pack for his C-Pap machine, why would he use obsolete technology?

As a general rule of thumb;

A car (starting) battery should be discharged no more then 10%

A deep-cycle boat battery should be discharged no more then 25-30%

But an AGM battery can be discharged 50+% and can be discharged / recharged far more times and also isn't as susceptible to cold and does not leak hydrogen gas and as they're around the same price as a deep-cycle boat battery, there is no reason _not_ to use an AGM battery.
>>
>>763532

>You won't die if you skip the cpap

i may tho phampham
>>
>>763638
They are all lead-acid batteries using lead and acid. There's flooded, absorbent glass mat, and gel. No one is saying not to use AGM, they are just saying that you telling them it isn't a lead-acid battery is incorrect.
>>
>>763704
>they are just saying that you telling them it isn't a lead-acid battery

I never said that, just that _marine deep cycle_ lead acid batteries are obsolete tech.

If OP's C-Pap machine is anything like my buddy's, the factory battery pack will be shit and he'll need to put together an AGM battery power pack for himself, which is easy to do and relatively inexpensive.
>>
>>762798

>medical wife says I should get a professional opinion
>I argue with her because I know more

Have fun dying anon.
>>
>>764244
The good thing about flooded lead acid batteries is that they're piss easy to service.
>>
>>764244
>I never said that, just that _marine deep cycle_ lead acid batteries are obsolete tech.

Which they are not. They are a tool for a specific purpose. A hammer isn't obsolete simply because air hammers exist.
>>
>>762747
guys seriously there is no need for complicated hardware.
sleep on your side and you are good you won't suffocate.
only thing is i don't know how you do that in a hammock i never been able to.
>>
why does anyone sleep on their back on a bed?

it's uncomfortable and contributes to snoring and sleep apnea
>>
>>765358
because before you fall asleep it's comfortable or can be.
i always take up first aid side-lying position before i fall asleep, but i tend to be on my back before is get sleepy.
basically most cases of snoring and sleep apnea is because the tongue falls back into the throat and while not completely blocks the ariways it almost does that.
>>
>>765378
I've never been able to fall asleep on my back, it's not comfortable for me.

It's doable in a hammock though.
>>
I also have sleep apnea . I guess i had it my whole life. When i was younger i just did alot of sugar and caffine to get by. Then i changed my diet when i turned 40. And realized that i couldn't make it thru the week. Doctor says worse case he ever had over 55 episodes a night. Lack of oxygen over the years has effected my IQ. But been on cpap for the last few years and it really has changed my life. I now have lots of energy and my intelligence is improving . My doc said it was gonna change my life. He was wright. Anyone out thier waking up tired and grumpy everyday get a sleep test asap.
>>
>>762441
I've got the fun one: central sleep apnea. My brain turns off my lungs. Thanks for making me wake up gasping for air brain. I should be using my vpap, it senses my lack of breath and pumps air into me.
Somehow with all the morphine I take for my shiny new back implant I haven't died in my sleep. Wew lad
>>
File: 1462733512881.png (185 KB, 350x347) Image search: [Google]
1462733512881.png
185 KB, 350x347
>>762798
You're a faggot, listen to your wife. Then go back to the cuck shed, you deserve it.

>>762761
Fuck me, I was drinking last Tuesday on morphine and a breakthrough oxy for pain. I've been cheating death for far too long. Central is horribly compounded because those drugs/booze are all respiratory depressants.
>>
File: 1423858845476.jpg (55 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1423858845476.jpg
55 KB, 800x800
>>766949
>tfw wake up feeling tired but don't think I snore and no gasping or anything
>>
>>767059

call docotre, schedule sleep study

it's literally that fucking simple
>>
>>767404
Depends on your insurance. Some require your primary care doctor to refer you to a neurologist.
>>
>>765297
Your sleeping position has nothing to do with sleep apnea, snoring doesn't equal sleep apnea.
>>
>>767408

>OP call your doctor
>anon responds aying it depends, you may need to call your doctor

the fuck kind of retarded is this
>>
>>762441
/cpap/ here, My breathing pattern is incorrect on mine, and I never got to use it. I bought a hugging/body pillow at kohls (never took it camping though) and it helps me stay on my side and not suffocate during the night.
>>
>>768368
hell yeah it does only about 0.4% of sleep apnea is central all the rest is easily treated by correct sleep posture or surgery in some rare cases.
>>
>>762798
The fact that you didnt say she wasnt a doctor makes me think she is just a nurae who thinks she knows her shit. Just go to a real doctor. It isnt hard.
>>
>>768375
He said call the dr and schedule a sleep study. The doctors who usually prescribe sleep studies are neurologists. In order to see one some insurances require that you get a referral from your regular doctor.
>>
>>768473
The big one is losing weight. All the chairs at my neurologist's office are those double wide ones for fatfucks. And when I'm in the waiting room I'm the only normal sized one there. (I've got central)
>>768494
Nurses, for the most part do know their shit. They also catch a lot of doctor fuck ups. A BSN in one of the hardest bachelor degrees to get. If not the hardest iirc. There was a study published on it.
>>
>>768904

so call your doctor

you have autism
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 420x120) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 420x120
CPAP is bullshit.

Most people get sold the CPAP machine by the same person who diagnosed their sleep apnea. Crazy god damn coincidence no?

I had sleep apnea. First ENT I went to said
>YEP YOULL NEED A CPAP MACHINE LUCKY I SELL THEM THEY ARE ONLY SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS

Then I saw another ENT who found I had all sorts of fucked up sinus issues. Ended up having day surgery - turbinectomy, adenoids/polyps removed etc...
Guess what? Apnea has totally diminished. I breath easier during the night AND day time (do you wear your CPAP mask during the day?).

I also snore less, but I attribute most of that to just training myself to sleep on my side with a good pillow.
Same ENT said I can get fitted for a mouth guard if I want to reduce snoring further which I may do

Seriously, don't get jew'd by them jews. Look for a real solution first (if you haven't).
CPAP is a god damn last resort

>for you
>>
>>762441
>i'm not fat
let me guess, just big boned right?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.