[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just went out today and tried to make a shelter like lillys.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6
File: shelter.jpg (49 KB, 598x316) Image search: [Google]
shelter.jpg
49 KB, 598x316
just went out today and tried to make a shelter like lillys. first time ive tried something like this and holy shit it was alot of work. I only brought a knife and an axe thinking it would be enough but you really need a Saw for this kinda stuff.

A First time mistake i guess. Anyone got some tips and tricks that can help me? Btw huge respect to anyone who has made something like this, post pictures of your shelters?
>>
Link to vid of shelter
>>
>>761747
here is a video of lillys shelter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n1_-seZkU

not mine. I didnt get any pictures because well, i spent maby 2 hours on just collecting wood that would do me any good.
>>
A hatchet and knife is easily sufficient. Get a job where you use your hands, like roofing or something. This stuff will seem easy then.
>>
>>761752
the area i choose wasnt exactly helping me either, i was soaking wet on my feet cause the ground was like a sponge filled with water cause i was so close to a lake. Im going to be completely honest, i was a bit scared of going further into the forest because there are bears and elks around here and i dont wanna get attacked. Dont have a weapon either.
>>
>>761749

how did she start that fire so quickly?
>>
I sincerely hope you did this on your own land and didn't fuck up public land chopping down some 5 dozen trees for your stupid bushcrafter prepper survivalist bullshit.
>>
>>761752
>purposefully using a hatchet for heavy work
>>
>>761766
you seem a bit stiff, tried removing anal beads? but seriously i did this really pretty far away from my town with permission.
>>
>>761749
That video is cringey as fuck
>>
>>761767
That is not heavy work. Trees below 8 inches across is not heavy work. Are you a child, elderly, perhaps a woman?
>>
>>761746
If you want it to last longer, remove the bark and put stones under the bottom logs so they don't touch the ground.
>>
>>761756
Get a weapon, grow a pair. Man vs. Beast my friend. Any chance to conquer them is an absolute orgasm you will never achieve anything greater in your life. Try to do some better scouting on the land, flood plains make for terrible shelters unless you know how to make a treehouse with rope.
>>
>>761804
He means heavy as in you need heavy tools to do proper work. Otherwise you have to hit it 5 more times per 1 hit from the proper too. Use an axe to make very short work of 8 inch thick materials. If it is a double headed axe that is very sharp you can go through it in only a few swings. When you've had a few days practice, it is actually faster than a manual saw for small stuff. A hatchet for the same thing takes far longer and requires more work. Using the wrong tool for no reason is illogical.
>>
>>761807
I would love to get a weapon but sadly it isnt an option for me.
>>
>>761812
A stick is a weapon.
>>
>>761804
>recommends hatchet
>calls anon elderly for recommending full sized axe instead

lad
>>
>>761813
well suit yourself with killing a bear with a stick, bravo if you have done that but im going to have to say no to that one.
>>
>>761809
I see your point but it is less conventional to bring an axe as opposed to a hatchet. I have never had an issue with chopping logs with a hatchet. Try your best to keep it sharp and swing the right way. Also, you can weaken both sides of the log and then prop it against something and drop a boulder to break it at the weakesr point. I love to use this method for both shelter building and fire wood collection. A big enough branch can be broken down into every level of fuel and burn for the entire night. Work with what you have and use physics to your advantage. Not saying don't bring an axe if you have the option. I love axes, but for most situations it is unlikely you have one.
>>
>>761818
Bears pose very little threat, especially when they are blinded. Also, bear spray dude. Bear spray.
>>
>>761817
It is highly unlikely a person packs a full size axe while camping and completely not required. You can always use your thinking cap to avoid added strain.
>>
>>761822
negro, if you plan to build a structure out in the woods of considerable size, and you bring an axe to do it, you might as well instead just bring nothing and die out there, and do the world a favor

>yea i brought my swiss army knife to erect an impregnable fort
>>
>>761827
a hatchet i mean
>>
>>761827
Shelters are typically for survival, you mongrel. Do you bring an axe every time you go hiking deep into the Rockies? You are concerning me with your delusions. Sure, of course, if this is planned then you might as well just bring a fucking chainsaw. Christ.
>>
>>761830
>He doesn't always carry a chainsaw
>>
>>761830
are you building a lean-to or a dwelling? yea, might as well bring a chainsaw, a shovel too
>>
>>761834
>>761836
>mfw im a logger

Guys guys guys just keep your axe at your cabin where its supposed to be
>>
>>761843
im assuming this is a euphamism for saying keep your dick in your pants, because im sorry to say i am long past that
>>
>>761845
No it is not. I'm just going to go ahead and decide that none of you have ever been to the woods and/or never worked with your hands. 5/10 almost had me.
>>
>>761847
your log camp has wifi?
>>
>>761861
What a dumb question to ask somebody
>>
>>761843
Where did I imply he had to carry an ax? All I was saying is that you should always have your chainsaw handy.
>>
>>761881
answer it
>>
>>761746
>tfw this dyke is never going to get tired of starting threads about herself

Did you watch the last videos where Lilly fails miserably at making a shelter in public land and takes her forever, even using nails and a fucking tarp?
>>
>>761903
Chainsaws are great really, they truly are.

>>761905
Yes. We do. We have temp cell towers available at our base location. Your question is stupid because many loggers go home every night. I really seriously did not want to answer such a dumb question.
>>
>>761908
She isn't gay. I live in her village and see her around with her bf shopping. Also it is not a crime to be gay.
>>
>>761908
Well i can assure you i am not lilly lol. I just wanted to make a shelter, looked up some videos about it and hers was the first one to pop up. Nothing more.
>>
>>761905
>>761910
But to add to this just to shut your inbred ass up, you would be surprised how often you have 3G and 4G in the middle of the woods. Thanks Verizon.
>>
>>761914
oh you live around a logging camp, but im the inbred
>>
>>761819
I built a log cabin back in the 1980s. We used 6-8 inch logs and the thought of building a structure like that in the OP using only a hatchet just seems down right ignorant and/or stupid to me. We are talking about the structure in the OP aren't we and not some other random made up scenario?

Also, when I go camping I bring my axe. I don't actually own a hatchet. If I need a hatchet I can just whittle up a short handle and use it with my axe head. Which I've done before. But, this has nothing to do with structure building as the one in the OP; for which I'd use an axe.
>>
>>761921
Yes we are talking about the shelter in the OP which should take no more than 4 hours with a hatchet and that includes the gather of materials. Maybe swing better?

>>761920
:^) cute
>>
>>761925
OP here, If you guys could calm down a bit and help me out here with some tips that would be great. Ive never done anything outdoors before because i have been living in the city since i was 2 years old and just now i have moved out to where i can start doing outdoor things.
>>
>>761925
thanks for proving that you are a lying sack of shit
>>
>>761912
>She isn't gay. I live in her village and see her around with her bf shopping. Also it is not a crime to be gay.
I don't give a single fuck if she is a lesbian or not. Of course it is not a crime. It's her business. But she looks like a lesbian, which is not offensive, it's just a description of how she comes across to a lot of us. It's you that assumed that it was offensive.

The point still stands. She is obviouslly starting threads to get hits, which is also and literally her business.
>>
>>761927
And you decided to follow the absolute lack of advice in the video you posted? yeah k
>>
>>761927
I was trying to assist you but these idiots actually think an axe is needed outside of a 5 acre distance of your property. You can hike a chainsaw for 10 miles and do what you need to do in 15 minutes, or you should just bring a solid hatchet and use it correctly. An axe for such situations is entirely pointless. Like I said, once you become good at using a hatchet it is very very good for sub 8 inch logs. Above that might as well bring a chainsaw. An axe is dumb to carry around. Here I will create a point system to explain.

Hatchet: Effiency 3/10; Bulk mitigation 9/10
Axe: Efficiency 5/10; Bulk mitigation 5/10
Chainsaw: Efficiency 9/10; Bulk mitigation 3/10

Total scores out of 20
Hatchet: 12
Axe: 10
Chainsaw: 12
>>
>>761932
>Total scores out of 20
>Hatchet: 12
>Axe: 10
>Chainsaw: 12

thats that advanced education at play. statistics genius
>>
>>761928
Fucking fool. In the summers when I am not allowed to log do you know what I do? I fight forest fires, guess what I carry? A pulaski, and a chainsaw. Thats a modified axe. I know full well the effective uses of an axe.
>>
>>761933
OP just ignore these trolls they have no idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>761932
Holy shit anon keking mao right here
>>
>>761934
alright im willing to believe you, but i wont believe that you can procure, relocate, resize and build that structure in 4 hours
>>
>>761932
>Hatchet: Effiency 3/10; Bulk mitigation 9/10
>Axe: Efficiency 5/10; Bulk mitigation 5/10
>Chainsaw: Efficiency 9/10; Bulk mitigation 3/10
>Total scores out of 20

That's some scifi shit right there

Domo arigato mister roboto
>>
>>761940
I tend to work really hard, in a survival situation I will admit preserving energy is optimal but that just makes the shelter in question way too much of a shelter.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 345x146
>>761932
Hatchet: Effiency 3/10; Bulk mitigation 9/10
Axe: Efficiency 5/10; Bulk mitigation 5/10
Chainsaw: Efficiency 9/10; Bulk mitigation 3/10
Total scores out of 20
Hatchet: 12
Axe: 10

>mfw
>>
>>761912
>not a crime to be gay
It is in some countries
>>
File: Japanese.jpg (133 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Japanese.jpg
133 KB, 800x600
>>761746

Are you expecting a banzai charge?
>>
File: Rush in concert.jpg (681 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Rush in concert.jpg
681 KB, 1800x1200
>>761932
>>
>>761940
lol You sure as hell can't.
>>
you could do that with a good machete. those logs are skinny.

watched her video..weaksauce
>>
>>762014
a sheddy could do it but let's be honest, lotta work and it would be duller than a presbyterian mothing in law after the first 10 logs
>>
>>761746
>her shelter is made of only sawn logs and deadfall
>doesn't take a saw
baka desu senpai
>>
>>761766
This
Fuck op
Fuck this hit whoring bitch
And fuck you bushfags
>>
>>762180
why? When i have permission i see no problem with it, Sorry for having a hobby.
>>
>>762180
no
fuck you instead
>>
>>761752
Sufficient but not ideal. Saws make shelter building tons easier. OP didn't struggle because he isn't a fucking roofer, he struggled because using a hatchet and a knife to make a large shelter. its going to be hard work whoever is doing it because a hatchet and a knife aren't the best tools for shelter building, an axe/saw/knife combo is
>>
>>761746

>You built yours in a day.
>She spent something, like, months.
>>
>>762388
Somewhere in this post i said that i spent 2 hours on just collecting the wood that i needed for this. I barely got 1 wall done cause i had other stuff to do yesterday.
>>
>>762378
Exactly, a saw would make the whole process so much faster and easier.
>>
File: received_10209771987079887.jpg (105 KB, 1080x1263) Image search: [Google]
received_10209771987079887.jpg
105 KB, 1080x1263
>be me
>making tree house with logs
>on day 3
>have the ladder and the floor and the walls and ceiling up
>just waterproofing amd making it extra tough because I used lashings not nails or pikes or anything like that
>its like 20 feet in the air, can hold like 6 people looks like, will bring friends the next day to test
>come back on day 4
>the entire thing it cut down, probably by some idiot hunter that doesnt know property lines
>the blisters on my hands were for nothing
>>
>>762489
You got experience and muscle memory so the next one will be easier to rebuild. Also you learned the value of property markers.
>>
>>761836
Might as well bring a generator
>>
>>762489
I don't believe this actually happened because there is no reason for a hunter to cut down a tree or fail to notice a structure in it that can hold 6 people. It is up to you and your neighbor to establish boundaries. You may be partly at fault for not marking bearing trees but it depends as property is very regional.
>>
>>762617
It honestly could have been punk ass teenagers for all I know, lots of anarchist pot head types around here
>>
>>761807
If you grow a pair you'll soon realize you don't need the weapon.
>>
>>762627
True
>>
>>761809
why a double headed axe specifically ?
>>
>>761746
>but you really need a Saw for this kinda stuff.
Yeah bruh that's kinda why her logs are saw cut.
>>
>>761757
>he hasn't learned a fire spell yet
What are you even doing here?
>>
>>761908
Hi real Lilly here ur a dyke fight me.
>>
>>762675
Double bit axes are nice because you can use one side as your don't give a fuck side when you're making riskier swings that could deflect into a rock or the dirt. Typically you give that side a wider bevel so that it is stronger structurally. The other side you keep nice and sharp and only use it when you're not worried about damaging it.
>>
>>761806
What does removing the bark accomplish? Doesn't it protect the wood?
>>
>>763938
He is saying it can hold moisture and provide easy shelter for bugs. Same reason why he says to use rocks to keep it off the ground.
>>
>>763625
hehehe
Personally I'm an air, water, and fire bender.
>>
>>761802
this, also the fact that she had to show her face for 90% of the video.
>>
File: 1462671187489.jpg (63 KB, 854x859) Image search: [Google]
1462671187489.jpg
63 KB, 854x859
>>763951
>Avatar
faggot
>>
>>761746
I learned how to make shelters in boyscouts a long time ago, easiest shelter you can build is around a tree, you can tie branches together with thin layers of whittled sticks/plant stems, learned that even if it isn't a big shelter, it will get you through the night, sticks in the ground will hold sticks up, as seen in your picture OP, try using a tree as support to hold some things up.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.