[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm close to a massive national forest (hundreds of square
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: trail turns mud.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
trail turns mud.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
I'm close to a massive national forest (hundreds of square miles). My hope is to just drive in from the highway, drive to a "middle of nowhere" area and set up camp there. But I don't have anything offroad-capable, just a 2wd sedan. Is this a realistic goal?

I can't find any information or guides about doing exactly this, since most of the trail info is about hiking, snowmobiling, offroading, 4WD-accessible routes, etc.
>>
>>760996
What forest?
>>
>>761005
Allegheny national forest, i'd be coming in from the west (cleveland)
>>
File: 1336651881895.jpg (28 KB, 463x321) Image search: [Google]
1336651881895.jpg
28 KB, 463x321
>>761006
>Region 9
>Massive

Pick one.
>>
>>760996
you would be amazed the places you can get through in a 2wd sedan. just try to understand its limits and how to get the most out of its capabilities within those limits.
>traction
>power
>gear ratios
>Suspension
>maneuverability
>turning radius
>ground clearances
>approach angles relative to ground clearance
>>
>>761020
Well it's a manual if that helps. I guess if the roads start out "tame" and get progressively worse and worse i would have a good sense of my capabilities by paying attention to those things
>>
My /out/ transport for the last two years has been a standard FWD Chevy sedan (see /out/ transport thread for pictures) and it's gotten me some amazing places in Washington, Utah and now Alaska.
>>
Get out of your fucking car and walk, camping outside your car is not true /out/
>>
>>760996
Make sure you have a good spare tire and working jack. It's a good idea to bring and a small piece of lumber to act as a base for the jack in case the ground is soft. Flats are a lot more common on gravel roads.

Bringing a shovel will help immensely if you ever do get stuck. You can improve the road or use the jack to lift up whatever wheel is stuck and backfill underneath it. Also know that you can let some air out of your tires to get much better traction if you ever need it.

I'd also recommend looking at your undercarriage to locate where the oil pan is and get a sense of how exposed it is.
>>
>>760996

Be aware OP....Forest Roads where the road number is horizontal is suitable for passenger cars.
Roads numbers that are vertical are not suitable for passenger cars and are more appropriate for high clearance 4WD vehicles.
Some forests are better about this though than others.
The forests in southern Utah seem to adhere to this stated policy--those in New Mexico not so much.
>>
>>762104
The premise of the thread is that you don't have a good sense of your capabilities in your car, so this post doesn't make much sense to me.

But hey, worst case scenario is an expensive tow, and it probably won't get to that. Go for it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.