[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
building a cabin -- redpill me on the red tape
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 33959094.WAS0019.jpg (175 KB, 1677x1117) Image search: [Google]
33959094.WAS0019.jpg
175 KB, 1677x1117
For all you guys who have built a cabin/camp innawoods, what kind of town codes did you have to adhere to? Septic tank, driveway, etc. I can't afford any of those things.
And what if I want to permanently live in such a cabin? Is there more shit to worry about if the town considers it a permanent residence? Can I lie and say it's a toolshed or something?
I live in a really snooty area of Maine and I'm worried the town will do anything in its power to keep people from living in very basic conditions. I don't really understand all the building codes and regulations I've been reading, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me what pitfalls to look out for.
All I need to be happy is a cabin, a greenhouse, and a composting toilet.

Here's my situation:
>Last 10 years have been complicated; homeless for most of adult life
>Windfall of 20k, score a decent job
>Sick of pouring rent money down toilet
I can probably buy a few acres outright. All I want is a little homestead of my own that I can be proud of. but we live in a complicated world.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>759732
what area/town/city etc of maine are you in
>>
>>759749
I'm looking anywhere on Mt Desert Island, probably Southwest Harbor. The further from Bar Harbor you go the cheaper land gets, but I need to stay on the island.
>>
>>759755
>MDI
your idea probably wont happen

>And what if I want to permanently live in such a cabin?
unless you can find one that is already made it wont happen. for a building to be marked habitable, you must have things like, water, hot water, electric, septic/sewer, means of egress in bedrooms, etc.

>Is there more shit to worry about if the town considers it a permanent residence? Can I lie and say it's a toolshed or something?
generally if you want something to be classified as an out-building(aka a shed) you need another building that is a perm. residence

>what kind of town codes did you have to adhere to?
for a _completely_ new building you must adhere to

international residential building code
uniform plumbing code
national electrical code
whatever the fuck energy code they adopted a few years ago. MDI has a population above 2,000 so they de facto adopted the code.
>>
>>759768
or you can just spend years of your life getting to know an inspector intimately as a family friend and have him do you a little favor
>>
>>759774
how many years
last time i checked my codes guy was a transplant from mass who got the job because he liked power over people
>>
Not OP, but I've been wondering about this too and I think that cheap pre-fab housing might be the way to go.
Pic related is pre-fab, basically a trailer, and ~20k. basically designed to meet all of >>759768 specifications at a low price
>>
File: pre-fab.png (16 KB, 626x301) Image search: [Google]
pre-fab.png
16 KB, 626x301
>>759794
>>
>>759755
You think you're gonna get cheap anything on MDI? What a joke. I love SW Harbor but no fucking way.
>further you get from Bar Harbor
>MDI
This thread is pure bait. Nothing is more than 30 minutes if that on the entire island.
>>
>>759779
as many as it takes for him to warm up to you
>>
>>759796
There's a good few properties on the island in the 70k-90k range. I've got credit, surprisingly enough. I just don't want to spend 10k on a septic tank, 5k on a well when I don't need that shit.
Death before Greater Ellsworth Area.

>>759794
Yeah, not glamorous but I'd be receptive to the idea that this is my only option.

>>759768
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll re-read town ordinances with all this in mind.

So when it comes down to it, there's no legal difference between a 'camp' and a house, unless the camp pre-dates existing ordinance?
>>
>>759794
Generally, pre-fab housing can only be built on locations where trailer housing was allowed at a previous time. This is called a Trailer Overlay and if you don't see a lot of trailer houses around you probably won't be allowed to do so.

>>759732
Don't bother building your own place. At one time it would have made sense to build your own place but the amount of work that is added with every single revision of the building code is going to hamstring you so much it isn't even funny.

You don't have residential fire sprinkler requirements in maine (Yet), but don't worry someone will forget about it then they will get slipped into the code and then you will have to worry about that.

Composting toilets are legal almost nowhere, Greenhouses will run into issues in Maine as they will think you are growing dope when you have a fine 8 month growing season.

If you want to buy a cabin innawoods move to a cheaper cabin state. You have 20k but that won't be enough to do things properly.

I don't want to burst your bubble OP, but they have set things up so that you can build a house with a 30-40 year lifespan which is sinfully ugly and has a price tag of half a million dollars.
>>
>>759945
>move to a cheaper cabin state
Such as? I know for a fact I could pull this off while flying under the radar almost anywhere in maine. Some hippie friends of mine in Franklin live in a house which is literally falling to pieces, drink untested hand-pumped water, and shit in the woods.
If it comes to that, so be it. but I want to exhaust all other options first.
>I don't want to burst your bubble OP
Thanks, but my bubble was burst within 5 minutes of my starting to research this.

I'm glad I asked here; you guys seem to know your shit.
>>
>>759958
Minnesota is hands down the cheapest state for cabins. While being the land of 10,000 lakes is helpful, it also has led to cabins being built everywhere by residents of other neighboring states. So much so that you can find a small place for 20,000 to 30,000 easily.

While I know you have hippie friends at the same time they tapped into an existing structure and if they are ever caught it will probably lead to condemnation.

You have to remember that code inspectors believe that you (the people) have given them a mandate to protect the health of future generations or some shit.
>>
>>759958
Georgia is dirt cheap for cabins... assuming you can deal with the heat and mosquitos.
>>
>>759732
Check local building codes, go from there. Get home owner's insurance if needed. That's just how life is, no one will give a shit if you are doing that much and paying whatever taxes you need to pay a year.

Do anything else and it is a ticking time bomb that will go off and in the mean time you'll be looking over your shoulder and worrying all the time.

Also, seek professional counseling both for building this stuff and for mental help. You'll feel better about it on both fronts.
>>
>>759732
>>759755
>>759768
>>759796
>>759929
Don't live there, move to a unorganized township. I bought 46 Acres and 3 cabins near jackman for $50k.

There are no codes or permits needed for a cabin in a TWP.
>>759945
There is no cheaper cabin state than Maine.

>>759958
Look for land in a unorganized territory on craigslist. You can probably find 5-10 acres for @$10k.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-10-22-35-54.png (697 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-10-22-35-54.png
697 KB, 960x540
Didn't read thread.

More /o/ oriented these days that out but I'm a couple years into ignoring most rules in a very specific manner.

Own land taxed as nonresidential, 5 acres for 20k, 2 buildings, an 8x12 shed and an octagon on a 12x12 deck.

I'm allowed up to 96 square feet without a building permit, with a structural height of 10ft. Super strict.

As long as you're in the section of "buildings that do not need a building permit" the only issue you need to solve is an address other than a po box.

Town appraisers literally knocked on my door a year ago or so, immediately nervous (there was a gun outside...) But soon chilled out and didn't care.

Currently drunk as fuck. Go for it.
>>
Also, nh, Maine and vt a have accessible land for ~15-25k often with a camp, why on earth would you borrow to stay wherever you are? Its not that good.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.