[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's design is this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: 66642069.jpg (125 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
66642069.jpg
125 KB, 1600x1068
In Lilly's newest video she shows her newest hatchet that looks like it was designed to be tacticool and not functional and omg...whats that piece of wood there? Is that supposed to be a handle? The grain is perpendicular to the blade and it's made of beech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhxebJD0cng
Also general axe thread
>>
>>758695
If you were interested you'd have asked in one of the two axe threads in this board. But you are not, you are just here hit hunting you miserable cunt
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1334x750
>>758695
Lol that head is going to fly off. Who would make the lip that small?
>>
>>758711
Thats not a lip the lip would help and the lip is actually the circular part on the bottom, the thing you're saying is small is called the eye but yeah it's way to small it's just a disaster waiting to happen.
>>758704
I forgot to search for an axe thread so sorry i guess but also because it would probably never get answered
>>
You guys really rip into this girl but its honestly not easy redesigning something that generations of men have already been crafting and refining for thousands of years.

That axe is still worth more than the hate people write about it because it was an attempt at doing something new.
>>
>>758695
it's one of the first things mentioned who the makes is. stop shilling for hits.
>>
>>758810
She didn't design it, she bought it from some guy and she's going to jew him per sold item. She actually says it on the video.
>>
File: 1456355208001.png (21 KB, 741x532) Image search: [Google]
1456355208001.png
21 KB, 741x532
>that handle grain
>>
>>758847
What are 'yall talking about? The grain runs the length of the handle, as it should be.
>>
File: axe grain.jpg (12 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
axe grain.jpg
12 KB, 300x228
>>758854
>>
>>758860
Oh, I thought people were saying the grain was running perpendicular to the length
This makes sense. Thanks!
>>
File: 1462644066123.jpg (17 KB, 266x262) Image search: [Google]
1462644066123.jpg
17 KB, 266x262
>>758847
it looks like a buddha smile
>>
>>758810
>not easy redesigning something
kek that's a skeggox/viking hatchet there's a reason we mostly retired the design: because the head will wiggle loose due to lack of eye-handle contact
>that axe is still worth more than the hate people write about it because it was an attempt at doing something new
again, viking hatchet and i wouldnt pay a dollar for that thing it could be made out of adamantium an i still wouldn't buy it. Like >>758837 she's shilling for a guy who didn't design the hatchet and it's obvious she didn't design it either because if she did it would look very similar to a wetterlings since she seems to like her S.A.W hatchet.
>>
>>758870
i think he's talking about lilly's hatchet there, buddy
>>
File: latest.jpg (21 KB, 240x270) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
21 KB, 240x270
>>758883
nevertheless
>>
>>758695
Your autism is showing
>>
>>758883
Maybe Lilly's axe wound.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>759178
>>
>>759200
Shouldn't you be recording shit instead of getting dubs? Post pet sounds, wouldn't be nice?
>>
>>759309
>calling-out dubs and not quads >>758888
>>
>>758695
The knife maker dude should have told her that design is shit
>>
>>758695
Holy shit that's a hazzard. That design. That grain. That demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
>>
>>758695
why is everything a shill shilling a shilling-shill nowadays? this isn't even shit, it's just lame. everyone has a lame-who-cares version of everything to shill on youtube or 4chan or whatever nowadays. god dammit, enthusiasts ≠ experts. no matter how many subscribers they have or how many subscribers their friends have. fuck. FUCK

thanks for your lame and worthless enthusiasm once again lilly
>>
>>759329
I enjoy her content sometimes but for the most part is just repeated crap. This flashlight is better then this one but wait this one. Its like what one should I get? her gear for others to look upon for help is so different because she changes it every damn second. Only person I'd ever take a true advice from is either MCQBushcraft or AlfieAesthetics
>>
>>759343
i just feel like she's a really great (and talented) enthusiast, but with borderline-nil expertise. which makes for good youtube, but at the core it's a bit charlatan. this is just my impression though
>>
>>759346
>talented
not even once
>>
>>759315
He made the design he knew it was shit that's why he got Lilly to shill it; so it would sell
>>
>>758695
>Batonning your axe
>>
>>759329

u jel
>>
>>759329
>>759343

The one thing she does that makes her more watchable than 99% of /out stuff on jewtube is that she knows how to edit video.

The number of hours of my life I've wasted skipping minutes at a time through ridiculously long poorly made bullshit videos made by southerners from the US is insane. Whereas Lilly

>Here's what I'm going to do today
>starts doing it within the first 10 seconds

The other day I literally saw a video that was longer than 20 minutes and all it was demonstrating was something stupidly simple like a particular tarp setup. Took the guy 8 minutes to move from a bench shot of the tarp still wrapped up in retail plastic to a shot of him standing outdoors. But he didn't start then, oh no. In the time it took him to get outside he thought of another 5 minutes worth of bullshit to talk about before he even picked up the paracord. FUCK GET ON WITH IT CUNT
>>
>>758695

>Who's design is this?
>Who's
>Who is

Whose design is this
>>
>>759430
be more autistic. literally proving to everyone that the only interface you have with reality is the internet
>>
>>759449

Be more angry. Literally proving to everyone that the only interface you have with reality is the internet.
>>
>>759451
>but the internet lets me control time...!
>>
>>759457

Purple monkey dishwasher
>>
>>759343
Probably she get's a lot of gear "for free" to review. Since she does not say if she is getting paid in one way or another by the brands she promotes I just assume that she is. As a result I don't trust a word she says. That being said, >>759430 is right about her editing skills. She is uploading just entertaining, not educational content.

btw have you read the comments on her videos? Most of her fans are creepy backyard camping old guys.
>>
>>759462
although i know what you are tlaking about. today ive had the misfortune of using black owl outdoors youtube to research a few things, and the amount of frivolity they use is simply annoying. this must be what they call lumbersexuals. half the time spent on what you think is supposed to be an instructional video is used on camera shots and aesthetics
>>
>>759733
no offense to them of course, its better than nothing. it is unnatural for form and function to try and play together in such context
>>
but the grain looks correct guys

do I just have shit eyes?

The rest of the design is trash though.
>>
>>759744
Watch the video again and look at the grain, it's perpendicular to the blade (that means 90 degrees)
>>
>>758711
I've seen that design before though, or at least something similar.

I can't be sure but I think it was Ragnar that was selling "viking" tomahawks that looked pretty much like that, except the handle was straight.
>>
>>761383
The viking design has a lip on the top and bottom side so it will stay on, her design is just gonna wiggle and the head will come up
>>
>>761443
So we sit and wait for the accidents to happen or warn her about it. Probably some kid is going to get hurt
>>
>>761449
Nah we wait until she gets hurt THEN do we warn her
>>
So are there any youtubers /out/ actually approves/doesn't hate?
>>
>>761578
mcqbushcraft has a solid channel imo
>>
>>761583
he's smart though i think he's a bit boring and bland in the way he talks
>>
>>761591
I agree, he is as fun as a dentists waiting room. There's this canacuck guy called Joe Robinet, which was recommended the other day here by some anon, because he was reviewing a cheap knife. I've seen some of his videos and I kind of like what I've seen so far. Seems like a cool dude.
>>
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 995x538) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 995x538
Are husqvarna hatchets a good alternative to higher priced options?
>>
>>761631
if its made in sweden, yes.
>>
>>759446
thank you.
>>
>>758695
...it's a trade axe essentially.
>>
>>761631
It's fine but the other hatchet looks like an overly curved handle but that won't be too much of an issue, you should also try thinning the handle a bit on the 13" curved handle hatchet because it's silly thick.
>>
>>758695
That is not a hatchet, it's a viking style battle axe, only put on a modern style hatchet handle.
Nothing wrong with the axe head, just not optimal for splitting wood, the handle on the other hand is not designed for that style of head, and it is going to get worked loose easily.

At 3:30 she describes perfectly why the head will work itself loose, and why not at least let the handle stick out a little bit more from the head so that the head won't fray the edges of the handle until it works itself loose?

If i could buy the head without the handle i might buy it.
>>
>>761631
Good value for money, heads are a little on the heavy side for the size but that also means they split wood better than a lighter one does.
Handle quality is usually mediocre to good.
>>
>>762430
Wait, so the head and eye are designed for a tomahawk style handle, but she used an "american" handle without a wedge instead?

Why?
>>
>>762528
I find that questioning why retards do what they do rarely lead to any great insights.
>>
>>761591
>>761604
>boring
Mike is Britain's gift to youtube. A dude who knows his shit and posts really comfy videos intead of shilling 3 times a week for some gear company.

But yeah Joe is kinda nice and his dog is named Sc/out/, sadly he has began to shill more often, still makes good videos.

Dougoutdoors despite having only like 3k subs is one of the best /out/here, unfortunatly he has not posted content in the last 3 months.

Dave is very well known and nice sadly he is montly into last century technology

Blackscoutsurvival/lillythedyke/pm101/ etc kind of channels are simply shills that will say that your chinkshit is awesome if you pay them enough. Fuck them and fuck their fatfucks, mallninjas and strong, independent wymen subscribers
>>
>>762563
>Dougoutdoors
Is that doug outside?
>>
>>762563
I'm not saying he's bad or stupid, i'm just saying i personally find his mannerisms and way of speaking a bit boring i.e he doesn't really speak with a lot of enthusiasm i find. I like Joe though find it annoying how he says we shouldn't label things and that he hates the word bushcraft yet hes called JoeRobinetBUSHCRAFT so it's kindof ridiculous
>>
>>762563
I said that mcq has solid content. That has nothing to do with him being an enterteiner. He is boring, nothing wrong with it if the content is interesting. We are not saying he is unsufferable. He would make tons of money if he started selling audio books for people who have trouble sleeping tbqh
>>
>>762578
Yeah, I misspoke his channel's name.
>>
Joe's pretty cool guy. He's a perfect mix of maturity and humour.

When he lost his firesteel on that Alone series it was literally the first time someone stopped acting and showed genuine emotion, he was fuckin seething
>>
>>762612
I just don't like his shilling to be honest, especially for fjällräven, not because of the company but because he makes it sound by the way he speaks like he's in an old shitty topshop infomercial where the sales guy speaks really fast
>>
So this link is all about what op is asking. I also came here to ask a question but after reading not to sure if anyone uses them here. If anyone does though, What do you guys prefer Hudson Bay axes or Gransfors?
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/01/snow-nealley-hudson-bay-axe-review.html?m=1
>>
>>762662
Not really her design is a viking battle axe/hatchet not a hudson bay pattern boys' ax
>>
File: 103.jpg (70 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
70 KB, 1600x1068
>>762662
>Performance characteristics aside however, I had some serious issues with this axe. It is one of the most poorly finished axes that I have ever seen.
>The head of the Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay Axe had a series of defects, which while not significantly impeding to the performance, show a very low (non existent) level of quality control.
>To begin with, the eye is not aligned. It is aligned on the top section of the head, but on the bottom, it is closer to one wall than the other. This results in the head being at a slight angle to the handle. This is not an issue with the hanging process, but rather the head has been improperly made.

I would not touch that axe with a 10ft pole.
>>
>>762864
The review is from 2011. I'll try and find a newer review but from what I've seen the quality has improved. That is just from pics though. I want to get a Gransfors but don't want to spent that much right now.
>>
>>763095
How old are you? The review was made by Gilmore. Do you think they uploaded new firmwares to those axes you dumb fuck?
>>
>>763189
what?
>>
>>763195
learn some http://woodtrekker.blogspot.cl/
>>
>>763189
I'm talking about the quality of the axe improving. Things like that do change in production to improve profit. You dumb fuck. What the hell does posting a link to the guys blog prove or show?
>>
>>763206
more demand= lower quality
see also: gränsfors bruk & marbles camp ax
>>
>>763200
what the actual literal fuck are you talking about
>>
>>763281
I was looking at the Gransfors but can't justify spending 150 on an axe right now. I haven't heard of marble camp. Ill check them out thanks
>>
>>763375
Helko. Cheap and reliable
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.