[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 19 and have been interested in hunting for a while now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
I'm 19 and have been interested in hunting for a while now but I don't know where to start. is bow hunting better for a beginner or guns? I live in an urban part of NJ so I would have to drive somewhere pretty far. Also general hunting tip thread.
>>
>>758557
Get a slingshot
>>
Whatever you do, make sure the animal suffers as much as possible. Also, don't eat it, just take trophies.
>>
>>758557
Bow hunting is a lot more of a challenge. It depends on what you want out of it. If you don't give a shit about sport or a challenge, go rifle, 100%. If you want a challenge, go bow, though maybe starting with a rifle and going hunting with an experienced hunter who has taken game and properly cared for it might be a good start.
>>
if you are new, you dont need to be hunting large game, ie, using bows or rifles. like first post said, a slingshot should suffice tromping around for game.

reason you shouldnt search large game, is by being new, you dont know how to dress and disseminate a carcass. youd be committing wanton murder, moreso than you already are by wanting to hunt in this age of plenty
>>
>>758557
Good for you OP. Hunting is a great way to become self sufficient and reduce your carbon footprint by not supporting factory farming.

I started hunting with a recurve and I can tell you it's very challanging. I've only hunted small game with it (which is what you should start off with) and my biggest problem is my aim. Archery, especially with a recurve, take a lot of practice. To become effective you've got to practice at 25yrds for at least 5 hours a week. If you can't do that, you will miss a lot and get a lot of Inhumane kills.

I've recently bought a .22 because I don't have a practice space to regularly practice my archery. I would suggest doing this. Get a .22 rifle with a Nikon scope (could get both for $400) and start hunting squirrels and rabbits. Don't move on to bigger game until you are sure you can clean it and kill it without wasting anything.

Happy hunting
>>
>>758557
Bow hunting takes a lot of practice. Once you are good at shooting, it then takes a long time to actually get within shooting range.

Guns are easy and fun.

What are you wanting to hunt?
>>
>>758614
anything I can kill and eat legally that isn't too far away.
>>
>>758673
Do you need a hunting permit for small things like rabbits, pigeons, squirrels, etc?
>>
>>758673
Unless you are wanting squirrels, get a shotgun then. If you want squirrels, get a .22. The .22 is the cheapest way to teach yourself to shoot and won't blow a squirrel to pieces.
>>
Don't even start. There are enough hunters in the woods without your ass fucking up other peoples hunts.
>>
>>758769
fuck off
>>
>>758561
this
>>
>>758677
yep
>>
>>758557
The best hunting is with Dogs
>>
>>758677
Where are you from?
>>
>>758557
>acquire weapons and equipment
>keep safety in mind
>look for animals
>kill them if possible
>???
>profit
>>
>>758557
The best hunting to do as a beginner is going to be small game. However you live in New Jersey so before you do anything you should go talk to /k/ since they will explain why you should remove yourself from New Jersey.
>>
>>759973
I wish I could leave nj but I'm still in college.
>>
File: 1462233044269.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1462233044269.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>758557

/k/ommando reporting in

OP please ignore everyone in this thread. Bow hunting is typically for large game and takes a lot of practice to become proficient with. Your range is also going to be much more limited.

First check your local and state laws to determine which firearms can be legally used on different game. There are typically restrictions on caliber and different weapons may have longer or shorter hunting seasons.

Most places allow the use of a 12 gauge shotgun and I would strongly recommended either the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 as a first gun. Both are cheap, under 400 new, and can take any game in North America from the squirrel to a bear.

As a new hunter I would focus on small game such as squirrel and rabbit. They are typically easier to harvest and you can transport the animal in any vehicle. There is also less processing and you can easily freeze the entire harvest in a standard refrigerator. A deer will require a pickup truck and drop in freezer.
>>
>>759992
thanks buddy. haven't thought about getting a shotgun for hunting. I always assumed I should get a rifle but I've always loved shotguns.
>>
>>759992
also do you have any recommendations for what type of knife I should get to use on the smaller animals? knife style or particular model/brand?
>>
>>759992

Wouldn't a shotgun just damage a squirrel to the point of no return, making it useless for fur and meat? Wouldn't you either blow it to chunks or fill it so full of birdshot that it's more lead than meat?
>>
>>759992
>ignore everyone in this thread

Literally everyone else is basically saying the same thing as you just did you flaming faggot.
>>
Different anon here.

I'm moving over to the UK in September and am keen to get started hunting small game and I want to learn how to skin, process and cook. I've shot trap and skeet with a 12ga before as well as target shooting with a .22, but have never hunted. Thinking about getting an air rifle.

Any tips about clubs, where to go, who to talk to, what specific type of weapon to go for?
>>
File: 1458503048340.jpg (401 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1458503048340.jpg
401 KB, 1680x1050
>>760025

Shotguns are by far the most versatile. Simply change the size pellets or use a slug and you can literally hunt anything within 50 yards.

>>760033
Get a full tang knife made of high carbon steel. I personally use a Benchmade Griptillian for fish and animals up to a rabbit. Don't buy anything with serrations.

>>760248
This is a very common misunderstanding. Unless you shoot the squirrel with buckshot or a slug (which would be incredibly difficult) you won't made the animal explode or render it useless. You will have to dig out a pellet or two but no, you will not mutilate the harvest with a shotgun. Again, has to do with the ammo you are using. Google it, there are guides online for what size shot to use. Slugs are the largest projectile, followed by buckshot, which comes in varying grades, down to 9 shot which is a light target and bird load. For squirrels you can use number 8.

>>760295
Yes, because someone else in this thread explicitly recommended a shotgun and good entry level models to buy. Check the thread again m8
>>
>>760300

Same /k/ommando here

>>760300
Which country are you originally from and why are you moving to the UK? Despite being American, I am also familiar with many different European countries gun laws.

The UK seperates firearms into different classifications. For an air rifle, you simply have to present a valid ID and you can purchase it. For anything else, you will need a firearms license. Double barrel shotguns and bolt actions rifles are extremely common over there. You will have to join a hunting or firearms club and demonstrate knowledge of hunting. The police interview you to make sure you are of sound mind and have a legitimate reason to own a firearm. That's why you must join a club. You need to actively demonstrate an interest in hunting or else they may deny you.
>>
>>760325
What about Hunting in the Netherlands? I've done some research and apparantly i need to take all kinds of exams and shit.

Other person btw.
>>
>>760327

Not as familiar with the Netherlands but I would expect a class and testing. Semi automatic firearms are also highly restricted so I would start looking at manual action firearms. Your neighbor Finland produces excellent bolt action rifles. Look up sako and tikka. The tikka t3 is a great entry level rifle.

You can also walk into your closest gun store and ask for help.
>>
>>760325
you must be a new kommando, because out was a containment board for the militiamen and operators on k. out is the actual kommando board, k is now gays with guns
>>
>>760412
although sadly, k remains basically the best board on 4ching chong. both humor and content-wise
>>
>>758557
You should take a spear and hunt for bears, and then you can take the trophy imbecile.
If you die you will die like the savage that you are, if not you are fit to continue being a savage so enjoy and accept your bush nigger life.
>>
>>760412

I began browsing k about 2 years ago and was not aware of that. I understand where you are coming from, there are traps, gays, and one guy with a massive bad dragon collection so yea they're not all normal.
>>
Not OP.
Any Germanfags here who know how to get a liscense, what I should do as a start and wich areas are good? Maybe in or around Brandenburg?

For not only Germanfags:
Which bows are good for hunting small game, wich for big game?
What do you do with the fur? Do you sell it?
Do you leave the innards where you gutted the animals (if you gut them /out/sides)?
>>
Depends on your game you are after, bird wise its easier with a shotgun deer wise I use a bow and bison or moose wise I use a rifle with a side arm in case.
>>
>>760325

Yeah that's all licensing information, I've already found that shit via google
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 736x490
This
>>
Does anyone on here hunt with dogs? Im not sure whether using a .44 around my dogs is going to do them any damage in the long run. Last thing I want it a pack of deaf dogs.
>>
>>760718
Germanfag but not a hunter, so not quite sure.
You have to get a Jagdschein.
It consists out of lots of theoretical and practical lessons (at least 60 hrs each) and you have to pass three exams (theory, practical and shooting).
Ask at some Jagdschulen about courses and prices. There are speed-courses which take at least two weeks.
You have to have a hunting-insurance and pay a fee to get the license. You also need to pay a pacht to hunt on someones property.

About bows:
That is a quite complex topic.
Look at the legal-requirements of the area in which you'd like to hunt.
Take a look at the concepts of recurve- and compound-bows.
>>
>>758598
Hunting squirrels and rabbits with a .22lr is stupid easy. Try with a pellet gun instead. They take some practice to aim properly.
>>
>>760459
>one guy
>>
File: nj.png (943 KB, 800x970) Image search: [Google]
nj.png
943 KB, 800x970
Where're you from, faggot?

I'm in Audubon, near Camden, and it's easy as fuck to get your license and shit.
Did it as a youngin'
>>
>>758588
>committing wanton murder, moreso than you already are by wanting to hunt in this age of plenty
What is factory farming, if not wanton murder on a grandiose scale? At least hunting is relatively humane (read: kinder than either factory farming or natural death by nature).
>>
>>762909
i wasnt strictly referring to meat. more like having grocery stores where you can buy enough calories for a month, instead of foraging everyday for your bacon
>>
>>762921
So now I'm to believe you're against the wanton murder of plants?
>>
>>758677
Yes, but it's neither hard to get nor expensive, especially when you hunt in your home state.
Also for small game, ammo is cheap. Usually you can get by with .22lr, which is the absolute cheapest thing per round in the ammo cabinet (when you can find it).
>>
Hunting in England is basicly reserved to air rifles.

Go buy a spring airgun at your nearest gun store. Scope too, you can ask the gun store to zero in the airgun if you don't have anywhere to do it yourself. Spend between £150 to £200 and get 22 cal domed pellets.

You should hunt rabbits & pheasants. Go find a field with a rabbit warren and find the farmer that owns it, ask him if you can take care of any rabbits and get written permission. Hunt wabbits by lying down on a tarp 30m away from their warren, pull out a book or something and wait.

The big thing you have to look out for is dogwalkers. You'll get cops called 50% of the time you're spotted cause the English public are a bunch of drama seekers & will do anything possible to make themselves appear socially acute and peace loving.
>>
>>762887
Hudson county. where do I go to get the license?
>>
>>763183
Aight, well first of all you gotta get your Hunter Education done. It's free, but you gotta study, get good, and then take your test somewhere offered here: https://www.nj.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/course/course_report.php
Most of it's common knowledge, but it pays to read the book for odd questions. (For instance, never am I going to hunt with a muzzle loader, but there were questions on the test I was responsible for knowing relating to muzzle loaders.)

After which, you can visit any of these places near you in pic related and pick up your big boy license.

Good luck, broski. Even if you are a disgusting North 'Jersey' POS.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 1600x207) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14 KB, 1600x207
>>763717
Shit, here is your list of stores.
If you wanna visit them in person before you get the Hunter Education done, I'm sure they'll be more knowledgeable and walk you through it.
>>
>>758557
Sauce is Little caprice in case anyones interested.
>>
>>763774
>Little caprice
I recall her being qt'er. FML
>>
thanks buddy, I acknowledge North Jersey is POS territory. where do you go to hunt usually?
>>
>>763924

>>763717
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.