[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ related jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 38
File: Snapchat-7657257583172911386.jpg (647 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7657257583172911386.jpg
647 KB, 1440x2560
Who else has an /out/ job they enjoy? 23 and an arborist here. Pretty fun job but living in the west coast it's a lot of rain and a huge learning curve but God damn is it cool to be able to do this every day!
>>
File: 20160212_143316.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160212_143316.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>756441
No one else works outdoors? Come on!
This pic is my a foreman of mine. Some of these guys are absolutely insane and willing to do some death defying shit
>>
>>756441
Scared of heights anon, it's just in my blood

Anxiety attack creeping just because I saw this thread

Delete this please
>>
File: 20160229_123139_008.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160229_123139_008.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>756463
I was actually terrified of heights when I got this job. I'll never become a top climber but I can push myself out of my comfort zone before I move on the bigger things
Is 25ft off the ground okay for you anon?
>>
my hobby is 90% /out/ and my job is 90% /in/. both are related work, so i'm trying to parlay my /out/ hobby into an /out/ /job/

but in the meantime i'm /in/
>>
>>756480
I feel ya. I used to be a car salesman and after awhile couldn't do it anymore. Had to get back into trades and found tree work. My life's improved quite a bit over the last two years
>>
>>756483
yeah brah i would agree you made a very good choice.
>>
>>756479
Anything above a step stool and I sweat

All told I'm not upset about it 2bh, you keep on fuckin that chicken
>>
File: 20150717_120816.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150717_120816.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>756489
What's your current /in/ job if you don't mind me asking? Curious as to how it related to /out/ hobbies is all
>>756494
Will do brother! Have a picture of a cool leaf I never did id
>>
>>756441
I desperately want an /out/ job, but I'm not sure where to start in my area, desu.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1462416002574.jpg (66 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1462416002574.jpg
66 KB, 960x960
I climb oil rigs.
Industrial abseiler I fuckin love it. Thought about getting into tree climbing but it would take too long being a "twig bitch". Do a bit of chainsaw work on railways while on cliffs. He'll of a buzz
>>
File: leafminer.jpg (12 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
leafminer.jpg
12 KB, 500x375
>>756498
>a cool leaf I never did id

don't know if you already know or not, but the pattern is from a leaf-miner. the bugger may even be wrapped up there in the upper righthand area.
>>
File: 20160504_195316.jpg (5 MB, 1910x3401) Image search: [Google]
20160504_195316.jpg
5 MB, 1910x3401
>>756501
Damn that looks awesome! Truth is tree work is great but the pay is horrendous unless you're working for yourself or a city. How high do you guys go? Highest I've gone was around 90ft and that fucker was terrifying when I cut the top out. What kind of system is that? I'm still new to the whole thing but it's one hell of an adrenaline rush! Pic related is my removal setup with a pull rope for the top
>>756499
I found the job on craigslist and openly said in the interview I had no idea what the job was about and busted my ass and trained until they gave me the chance to climb which is even harder than ground work
>>756506
Thanks for the info. Like I said I'm still pretty new and working on learning that kind of stuff. I wasn't too interested in the outdoors besides biking and camping before I got this job
>>
>>756511
Well shit, I guess I'll just keep my eye out on craigslist and related things m8.
>>
>>756498
I'm a sound and acoustic engineer. Sometimes I get to go out and record or run some measurements, but usually it's dungeon work. My hobby is field recording during my /out/tings. I really just want to work for NatGeo or something doing that full time †bh
>>
>>756501
Thanks anon, I just saved your pic and am gonna use it as a "checkem" meme.
>>
>>756441

How oh how do I get this job? I rock climb a lot, and I would love to get paid to rope up every day.
>>
>>756501

Also this one. How do I get? SPRAT certification?
>>
I need to find an /out/ job. I'm borderline NEET, no clue if I should go trades or try to live comfier and go to college.

No clue how people get into jobs like commercial diving and shit. $$$certs$$$
>>
>>756511
Nice mate. I've always had big respect for tree climbers. Love learning about the rigging and work that goes into dismantling the trees and lowering off pulley systems. Yeah heard a similar story off the arborists who made the change into rope access about the money and the nature of work.
The highest I worked was off the Forth rail bridge about 100meters up. Had to take my balls in my hand before I stepped off that steel work.
Most interesting work I have done was hanging off a Danish rig about 2 meters off the sea level watching ROVs and divers working below the waves. As the sun rose there were tall ships on the horizon. Truly amazin
>>
>>756441
inna[spoilers] woods [/spoiler]
>>
>>756523
I would go down the IRATA route as it's a world wide qualification. SPRAT is mainly used in America to my understanding. If you ever get a chance to do SOFT grab it with both hands as it's the Norwegian way of doing things and they have a sweet gig offshore.
>>
>>756516
If you could find a way to get your career outdoors that would be amazing! Good luck to you and I hope it comes to fruition!
>>756522
Got it off craigslist like I said >>756511
I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. It's an extremely hard job but there's such a high turnover rate and it's in huge demand so they gave me a chance. Busted my ass and made myself a valuable worker and here I am. A lot of rock climbers do the job but I'll tell you right now it's not something you do for money.
>>756528
I couldn't even imagine being 100m up! Really gotta trust yourself and your gear there. I haven't done any big rigs from the tree but running ropes from the ground is a lot of fun. How long have you been doing rope access? I imagine it must be a hard job to get into and do
>>
>>756542
Been doing it about 3 years mate. Tbh it is booming in Scotland. I heard about from a guy in the pub did a 5 day course and was working that weekend. The rig work has dried up with low price of oil so lots more guys are chasing the onshore work. I just have been in right place at right time with all my jobs. How did you get into tree climbing?
>>
>>756558
Ah just read how you got into tree climbing. The rough work on the ropes that gets you experience is very similar to that. High turnover lots of drinkin and fighting and screaming. Lively times
>>
>>756558
Do you do construction or repairs more? And really only a week course? I guess it's the same where you learn everything on the job and you might walk away after your first shift.
>>756559
Rough crowd of guys for sure. Sounds like our industries are similar. Most of the guys even the company owner at some point in their lives were or still are either drug addicts alcoholics or both. The trade is changing lots though. More regulations and safety so I'm glad I got into it when I did.
>>
>>756522
i think theres some kind of arborists certificate you can get and upkeep for a fee per year, good place to start, if you rock climb you should be gtg just blakes hitch some bowlines be comfortable using a chainsaw in one hand and your gtg. i worked as a ground guy for my uncles business plus my dad is a climber, but fuck that hype, incredibly dangerous job and really hard work.
>>756462
i've seen worse but i know what you mean sometimes its just like im glad im not up there.
>>
I've almost graduated a diving school. Quite a few guys get their rope certs to have something to do when diving is slow.
>>756566 are you British or American?
>>
File: 20160505_182404.jpg (4 MB, 1604x2856) Image search: [Google]
20160505_182404.jpg
4 MB, 1604x2856
>>756591
Canadian actually. Living in the west coast where trees get fucking huge way too quick
Pic related is my old foreman and coworker to show size of tree. God damn this guy is fearless!
>>
I fight forest fires. Looks like it will be a very goddamn good season for me.
>>
File: 2016-05-05_20.49.17.jpg (3 MB, 1678x2982) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-05_20.49.17.jpg
3 MB, 1678x2982
>>756441
I have tried this thread.
Araknsas arborist here.
Today was fun.

This is my favorite Ddrt setup right now.
Tidy.
>>
I'm a environmental biologist. I work about 85% outdoors and 15% indoors. Average 34-35 hours a week out and 5-6 in.

The indoors consist of filing and reporting.

I used to work for the public sector for the state (Vermont) as a wildlife biologist (studied coyotes mostly), but once you move up, they throw you behind a desk.

I then moved into a non-profit wildlife organization as a general ecologist. Quickly learned that the good majority of those people think they're saving the world. What comes with that mindset, is bad science and a constant begging for "memberships" aka...money.

Finally ended up in the private sector consulting field as an environmental biologist. Most of my work consist of field documenting wetlands, wildlife habitat, and then doing legal filings for land developers.

Pays well, but took a while to get there. I make $44/hr (90k/yr), but it took a while to get that high.

Never a stressful day in my life, ever since I started working private sector. Its been three years so far.
>>
>>757350
Is that nigger wearing a treemotion?
He looks swole as fuck.
I bet he works the piss out of y'all.
>>
>>757384
I should add...lots of schooling involved.

I have a ecology undergrad, and the only work that comes with that, is shitty seasonal work and underpaid full time "Wildlife tech" jobs. Too many people with higher degrees taking the "entry levels".

Got a M.Sci in wildlife biology and started getting interviews for state work.

Ended up getting a M.B.A. and then found some guy who decided that my hobby of looking for snails, should be documented and researched. After a while, I found myself being given money to research land snails and then for whatever reason, the school gave me a phD for writing a bunch of crap.

And that brings me to now...31 years old and realizing I didn't need anything more than the M.sci to do my work.
>>
File: Message_1461439223777.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Message_1461439223777.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>757350
Got a good one for you.
This is my apprentice next to our jungle gym. Biggest willow oak in the neighborhood, and we go there to practice in our free time and train for competition.
>>
>>756520
show of progress?
>>
File: 20151221_115303.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151221_115303.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>757378
Looks nice! I really need to move up from a Blakes but it's just so simple
>>757387
Yup! He's a wild one. Born in Africa and is one monstrous climber. The shit I've seen him do haha and he taught me how to climb by going up 80ft cottonwoods to pull hangers
>>757384
What exactly are you doing in said field? Studying animal habitats and such? I've worked with a few biologists and they always seemed passionate about their work. I really admire that!
>>757392
Holy shit I'm jealous! Don't really have any perfect specimens where we could do that. I'm awful at limb walking and that would be my dream playground
>>
>>757409
Awesome.

Advance beyond those simple knots into a more controllable, reliable field of them.
Kudos on running a split tail though. I started on a terrible closed system with a basic saddle running a tautline.

Do you frequent any tree forums?
I have been digging treebuzz and the user base for a few weeks and have learned a few things. Now I am stitching all sorts of gear up. It's a good place to look for ways to improve your game.

You rope hunch 80 feet on that Blake's? Sounds terrible. And slow. I bet your arms are bigger than they have ever been.
I was way stronger a couple of years ago when I just muscled up everything on a closed system.
>>
>>757409
Doesn't look like you are terrible at it.
>>
>>757415
Yea... gotta learn the hard way. Took me probably an hour to get to the top and by the time I got there my arms barely had enough strength to pull the branches and I'd end up just cutting them out. Which of course was with a handsaw!
Company I work for will give me eye to eyes if requested and we've got a great training program it's just finding the time to try the different systems in the field
>>757416
That was hands and knees the whole way out inch by inch

How long have you guys been doing the work? And how's the work where you live?
>>
File: 13ofdn.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
13ofdn.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
>>757401
I kinda think this could catch on.
>>
File: IMG_20160505_221706768.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160505_221706768.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>757423
Man, I spent 18 months as ground bitch/tiny tractor and then started my own operation.
Had some serious trial by fire stuff for about two years (but figuring out that ownership sucks along the way) and then started my current job as a lead climb for a reputable company that is operated by an ISA certified arborist. I have been here a year.
My apprentice has been working with me for about 8 months.

I'm honestly more of a wood guy than an athelete, but climbing seems to suit me. My apprentice is less of a nerd and more into the sport of production/competition although he has a long way to go.

It gets hot. Way hot. Over 100 every summer and in a month or so, the humidity will hit about 95 percent and stay there until September. Tons of varieties of trees around here... We are a small crew and usually do tree care/hazard mitigation/general maintenance in the nicer parts of town, unless somebody can't get their bucket to something sketch as fuck. (We aren't the cheapest in town. Just pretty good engineers and tree whisperers) So I usually get chill, relaxing, dance through the tree climbs or super technical 'monster in a closet' takedowns.

Damn I love my job. And gear. I buy a lot of it.
This was what I had in my two everyday bags specifically for climbing when I am working for someone else. Like three months ago. I have been shopping hard since then because we have been working long days and making money.
>>
Did maintenance and construction at a summer camp. Pretty fun.
>>
Carpentry, landscaping, all that stuff. I could never sit in an office. I never have. It's pretty nice, I'm definitely not rich, but I ain't po either. Own house, got 3 cars, kids, all that shit. But mainly I am free to work where I want for the day, and if I'm stressed getting up close and personal with the earth and plants instantly takes my mind to a zen like state. Groovey. Especially if I just smoked. I'm down in da bayou btw. Being outdoors is just life and part of culture I think.
>>
>>757431
Year and a half and you started your own game. Weren't you scared it wouldn't pan out?
>>
File: IMG_3286.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3286.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I work USFS in dev rec running 8 people 7 days a week. It's a lot of labor and management but there's some fun in it. I get to fall hazard trees which is definitely one of the highlights.
>>
>>757448
I had my best friend with me who was just a little more experienced in tree work and less of a business man.

Besides that, the place I started doing trees at was hell. I would have taken homelessness over staying there.

It just takes doing. Be good, be reasonably priced (NOT SO CHEAP THAT YOU STARVE WHILE YOU WORK), keep getting better.
Be the sort of people that you would be happy to give your money to.

I still take care of a few people on the weekends who have dozens of properties between them that were repeat customers while I was still self employed.
>>
>>757457
What's dev rec?
Also nice cut but notch looks pretty deep
>>757503
Glad it's working out for you! I've been doing it just over two years and couldn't imagine going off and doing my own thing.

If you want a large community to bullshit with there's a Facebook page called unleash the tree memes and it's pretty funny. Always stuff being posted lots of it will give you a laugh but they also talk safety posting all deaths and recalls. Good group if you're into that
>>
File: treecore.jpg (53 KB, 635x711) Image search: [Google]
treecore.jpg
53 KB, 635x711
>>757457
I'm glad you're having fun in the USFS. The past few weeks this has been my grand view. Dendrocronology is cool in theory but really tedious in practice. Getting a lot of good data, but I swear I'm going cross eyed.
>>
>>757384
You've got my dream job, I'm currently stuck in the tech cycle and have been for 4 years now. It's fun and it sucks at the same time.
>>
>>757508
TJ is in that one!
I don't facebook.

Man, craigslist basically paid my bills for those two years. So many calls, so many referrals... Probably 90% could be traced to a craigslist call.
>>
being a fisherman considered an /out/ job?
>>
>>757625

What kind of fisherman
>>
>>757638
on a fishing boat
>>
Groundie and learning climber here. This is the best job and most fun I'd ever had, it's scary as hell some times but holy shit it's my dream come true.
Currently have a not so comfy saddle that's a ball crusher, anyone got a super nice one that they'd recommend?
>>
File: 1426824406955.jpg (15 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1426824406955.jpg
15 KB, 184x184
>being a tree surgeon
Tree officer here L I T E R A L L Y lmaoing at your life
>>
File: IMG_3247.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3247.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>757508
Developed Recreation. So picnic areas, trailheads, campgrounds, that kind of stuff.

If you go less than a third on a tree that doesn't have much lean you've gotta swing for the fences wedging it over the hinge. I see a lot of arborists posting pictures with very shallow notches, minimal holding wood and zero stump shot. Not sure if they're working with different trees and lean or just a different style.
>>
I'm studying to become a forester. Doing a lot of stuff outside but consists of calculating in labs and offices too. I personally enjoy it. You learn about different types of diseases, bugs, plants, trees, categorizing forests, cutting them down, about the physics of wood and other plants, knowledge of animals is needed too. Mainly focusing on the thing in Northern Europe, but If you want you can specialize in the forests in the Amazon for example.
>>
File: IMG_2241.jpg (588 KB, 1195x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2241.jpg
588 KB, 1195x1600
Electrical lineman here

We may not have an /out/ job description but all I do is go into the middle of nowhere and climb poles. The most /out/ part of this job is working highline transmission contracts. You either ride an ATV or a helicopter out to the work site and spend all day innawoods, climbing huge steel towers. Pic related is me like 10 feet up some dinky pole lol
>>
>>757765
That seemed more than a third but could just be the angle. Normally we do leave quite a bit of holding woodblock for direction because if we're falling a tree there's probably something to avoid. We also normally put ropes and mechanical advantages in them. Sounds like a really fun job though glad your hard work paid off
You should see how fallers do it. Less than a foot from the ground Humboldt which is a pain for me at least and they certainly gotta chase their holding wood while the tree falls til it's barely there.
>>757869
Nothing but respect for you crazy madmen!
>>
>>756501
Is that St. Louis, anon?
>>
What's a good /out/ career for a kinda dumb social outcast?
>>
>>758072
Nah brother. It's the the Forth rail bridge over the firth of forth north of Edinburgh In Scotland.
>>
I'm a private school teacher (History) doing international schools. I'm getting a bit sick of it though, I've done it for five years and I'm terrified of doing something like this until I'm old and useless.

Is there a way I can combine my love of the outdoors with teaching?
>>
>>758072
Well shit, I was off a little.
>>
>>756501
Enjoy the imminet falling or getting crushed death
>>
>>757669
The cougar is a great intermediate saddle. You get the rope bridge and big comfy pads. I like the ergolite and the treemotion better, but just a little and the cougar is half the price.
>>
>>757515
Happen to be in New England? I know nearly every person who does my same job. I could get you in somewhere as long as you have a B.Sci. 4 years tech experience will get you in, as long as you have someone who knows someone
>>
>>758132
You are more likely to die driving to work than on my job friend-o. I trust my ropes and my knots. Do you trust your driving?
>>
>>758121
Maybe a ranger? Outdoor instructor/scout leader. Best thing to keep in your mind is the saying "find a way or find an excuse"
>>
Cell tech here. A lot of my sites are mountain top sites. I get to play on an atv a lot. Tallest tower I've climbed is 160', they get much taller though.
>>
I work outdoors. I do seasonal field work and it fucking sucks. I hope to find some dead-end office job and head back into doing meaningless but long-term work soon by fall.

Field work is a joke. It's extremely hard on the body, grad students are spoiled ingrates, you get paid very little for getting beaten up by the outdoors, and their methodology is usually so weak that their results are going to suck.
>>
>>758311
what's your position?
>>
>>758349
Seasonal field biologist, which is more like be a grad student's slave and do most of their work. These jobs pay very little and are mostly full of desperate 20-somethings because there aren't many other jobs in the env sci field.
>>
>>758211
>Ranger
Hm. I'd have to do another degree in history/park and recreation or something else relevant in order to qualify for that.
>>
>>758172
I'm living in New Hampshire right now working for the Forest Service. Send me an email: [email protected]
>>
>>758355
Since you're a biologist I guess you work outside mainly during the summer. God damn that must suck ass. Wood technologist student here. I usually work outside during the winter because then the ground can hold much more weight. During the summers it about diseases, bugs and thinning out forests. I like it.
>>
File: Submarine_rock,_Mt._de_Oro.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
Submarine_rock,_Mt._de_Oro.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
I'm looking to get into ecology/environmental science. Do you guys have any advice for a guy who is going to graduate with a B.S. in chemistry next year? I have a year of undergraduate research experience in an ecology lab and have an internship during my senior year lined up involving ecological research.
I don't need to be outdoors all the time, but even 10% or so of the time would be nice. I'm looking to probably get a job with state parks/ parks and recreation as an environmental scientist or seasonal field biologist. Am I doomed to low pay and no jobs forever? California btw
>>
>>757869

as a utility arborist, I've always wondered, what do the linemen think of the veg management people?
>>
I posted this already in the British thread but fuck I'll post here too, some French, German, Swiss, Scandi anon might know something or looking for employees.

>Does anyone here have a menial job opportunity for an sc/out/? I have no college education but I don't mind doing physical labor, working on a farm or aviary is no problem at all. I'm not British but I'm euro and white if that matters. Thanks
>>
>>757390
I'm at the seasonal field tech stage right now, which is why I'm getting my masters starting this fall. the funny thing is I got my bachelors from an ivy league school, so I could have any bullshit consulting job and make bank, but I'd rather be a data monkey and get to work in nature.

kudos to you for living the dream!
>>
File: IMG-20151015-00237.jpg (661 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151015-00237.jpg
661 KB, 2592x1944
>>756441
Im a farmer?
>>
File: image.jpg (282 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
282 KB, 960x720
>>757869
Ehhhh Canadian here, I'm in college rn for powerline technician, I love it, bad pic but that was when I was new at climbing
>>
My summer(and only) job starts up next Monday and aside from a week getting everything set up we should mainly be canoeing around the BWCA the whole summer. I hope I don't get lead poisoning
>>
>>758831
>B.S. in chemistry.
Get a B.S. in Ecology.
Or just look for water quality/protection jobs, since you have a chemistry background.
>>
Aussie here I'm a gardener at a school near me, 19 and just graduated last year. There is something amazingly satisfying working in soil and watching your plants grow and thrive. Will be in the navy soon though
>>
File: ranch.jpg (54 KB, 604x402) Image search: [Google]
ranch.jpg
54 KB, 604x402
was a ranch hand in a wildlife preserve in Texas for 3 years
>>
>>756441
Is that the Husqvarna Petzl helmet? Is it worth it or should i just get a regular logging helmet?
>>
>>758146
The pads and the rope bridges look like a dream come true. Does the rope bridge make limb waking a lot easier with less twisting and shit?
And having used both the cougar and the tree motion, which do you call your favorite at the end of the day?
>>
>>761438
Not op here
If you can find a climbing helmet with ear muffs and a shield then go for it, pretzel helmets don't fit me, I've got a large head.
Another thing to consider with helmets is the strength and padding and proper fit. If you wouldn't want to wear the helmet in a hammer fight then you shouldn't wear it in a tree. I use a bmx helmet (nutcase, sold on Amazon) and while I look like a dumbass, it's saved my life two times now. When wind spikes and picks a branch up and brings it right back to you it hurts like hell.
If you were glasses you can get motocross goggles that fit on top of the helmet to keep all the chips out of your eyes as well.
>>
I had a job helping arborists but they stopped calling me.
>>
>>756441
>>
I'm studying to become an env manager
Hopefully afterwards I'll get a job doing environmental impact assessements, cleaning of polluted urban areas, conservation of autochtonous species
>>
>>765313
Wrong slick. You're going to be in a cubicle counting beans and writing contracts to do those things.
>>
File: 2016-05-15 18.13.37.jpg (1007 KB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15 18.13.37.jpg
1007 KB, 1885x1060
What kinda /out/ jobs would I be able to land with a degree in geology or biology?
>>
>>766626
could you tell me the country/ general area where that pic was taken?
>>
>>766640
I took it myself
Southeastern Michigan
>>
>>766677
Kensington?
>>
>>766678
Maybury
>>
I roof, I dont know if thats "/out/" or not but I spend all my time under the great blue sky, great job, just not for everyone.
>>
>>759035
Like, tree trimmers and shit?

We either love you or hate you- it entirely depends on how well you clear out the poison ivy on the poles before we go in.

The dudes we like to make fun of are the telecom guys. I call them 15 foot heroes
>>
>>759984
ayyy how's it going

always keep your eye on that neutral brother
>>
>>758831

If you want an outdoors job, look for some drug design labs. The one I'm attached to does drug design based on natural products and cataloguing potential species with chemotherapeutic or anti-malarial properties. Last year we went snorkelling for sea sponges. One guy went hiking for three days in rainforest for ferns. It's maybe more like 2% of your time but some of the experiences are worth it.

B.S in chemistry doing masters in medicinal chemistry
>>
File: image.jpg (498 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
498 KB, 1080x1920
>>756441
My kind of tread, OP. What's good, everyone? Posting from tent city in Philmont, NM right now. It's a pretty solid /out/ job for a college student over the summer. I'm out early helping prep before the rest of the staff makes it out here (not a whole lot of us here now), and then we head innawoods (out to the backcountry) before the Trek-bound sc/out/s make it here.

Any other /Philstaff/ on here?
>>
>>766946
Not staff but are you anywhere near that road you can order pizza on? My troop did it every damn time they went
>>
File: image.jpg (252 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252 KB, 1080x1920
>>766948
Yea for now, everyone is at CHQ and PTC until we open up the back country officially for the season. Though I have a vehicle with me this year (and wowwwww, it's so nice). You can take a quick trip to Taos and all the other areas up in CO, it's nice.
>>
File: IMG_20160515_102744.jpg (470 KB, 1563x1044) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160515_102744.jpg
470 KB, 1563x1044
I'm a driver/mechanic for a rafting company South of Denali National Park, living in a 10x12 tent provided by the company.
>>
>>765183
I was curious as to what the fuck this was about. apart from trolling reasons. whiteness of the tongue has nothing to do with oral hygiene, and is caused by mild dehydration and stomach/gut issues. FYI
>>
File: 1462417153387.png (347 KB, 468x400) Image search: [Google]
1462417153387.png
347 KB, 468x400
>>767014

You're not by chance in McCarthy are you?
>>
File: 1401374913653.png (24 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1401374913653.png
24 KB, 645x773
>>756441
Nice m8

I'm trying to get into horticulture, I have a second interview for a job with a company next week.

>tfw the company claims to do tree surgery
>tfw I'm shit with heights
>>
>>756525
Trades m8
>>
I was thinking about getting into the parks and wildlife service here in Tasmania. Start as a ranger and go from there. Anyone have any experience as a park ranger?
>>
>>767046
Talkeetna
>>
File: baphomet 012.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
baphomet 012.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>756441
I used to build bridges in the middle of nowhere in southern Saskatchewan. Fucking beautiful on the prairies there.
Here's a pic I took at the end of a day in September
>>
>>766946
I have a friend going there this summer. I would have applied myself if I had known my council had outsourced summer camp staff hiring to some company in Utah. By the time I found out that the job requirements had changed from " be a decent staff member in the past" to "be a Mormon from Utah" it was too late to apply to Philmont.
>>
>>767970
/Phikstaff/ here and no it's not, anon! It won't be a glamorous job, but you still apply for dining hall staff. Yea it's not amazing, but you get good days off. Last year was 4 on, 3 off and this year it's 5 on, 3 off (so one extra day of work) but compared to back country (9-3) and conservation (10-4), it's not too bad. You'd get a lot of time to do back country stuff on your days off and be doing an important job.

They are always looking for dining staff people, one of the guys I know out here started last year as a "trail hire," where he started in the dining staff after his crew's trek and literally didn't apply until half way through the trek.

I know it's not amazing sounding, but it's still definitely an option.
>>
File: fry.png (33 KB, 202x85) Image search: [Google]
fry.png
33 KB, 202x85
My family has owned a nice sized ($1M gross/year) retail garden center for years. I'm the fifth generation.

Family is fucking ripping apart at the seams though, mostly due to my dad's midlife crisis, and unless something drastic changes in the next few weeks, it's over. I actually just started packing up my shit, and I plan to get as far away from the shit as possible.

I could probably land a job immediately with a wholesale grower, or go back into the retail side of things somewhere far, far away, but I'm probably going to take some time off and get a degree in either turfgrass or greenhouse management.

I know a lot about the retail and marketing side of things, but jack shit about the actual growing process.
>>
>>767016
That's not true. It's food particles and shit like that. Scraping your tongue will improve the smell of your breath.
>>
>>768014
I heard americans don't brush their teeth
>>
>>767994
Hillside?
>>
>>767989
Dining Hall duty is something I never mind helping with but I don't think I could stand to do it full time. As it is I already have another camp job lined up. Helping build a High Adventure program up from scratch. Company that took my camp dumped another and sent that council a bunch of cease and desist letters. I get to help pick up the pieces and we're pretty much starting from scratch.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (32 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
32 KB, 480x360
I've been trying to get a Wildland Firefighting job for a while but I haven't been able to get shit. I'm currently stuck in Texas so there aren't too many /out/ jobs I can handle in the 90 degree 90% Humidity shitfest that is Texas summer.

Thinking of moving and trying to get a different /out/ job in the meantime. Any recommendations?
>>
>>756516
I'm rather lit right now so sorry if I got your post the wrong way but I think you might like or at least be interested in a German electro dj by the name of Dominik eulberg. Makes electro music but all of his sounds are recorded in nature so no synthetic sounds.

I can't link straight to the song because I'm on my phone but 2 songs you might enjoy:- Björn borkenkäfer
- Adler

Both are on jewtube
>>
I work at a cave, feel free to ask me anything. Not too particularly /out/, but hey why not
>>
>>769438
Depends on what you're looking to do. I work for the forest service in California and there are a lot of jobs that are hard to fill just because nobody wants to live in the area. Get on usajobs and search the Klamath national forest
>>
>>769459
Not that anon but those are some amazing tracks, real talent
>>
Tree surgeon reporting in. Finished our work for the day so just rec climbing some big forest beaches. This had a pretty dead top.
>>
>>769956
Need to get my rope spliced again, LOLER inspector made my cut it off.
>>
>>769956
>tree surgeon
Pls elaborate anon
>>
>>770047
Arborist? Same as OP, I climb trees. Mainly to carry out cutting work which can range from a full on removal to reductions, removing dead wood, reshaping and so on. I also do inspections, installing bat/bird boxes and other tree access work.
>>
>>757409
That is an insanely confusing image when it isn't flipped. The thumb nail looks like a piece of wood being lowered. Then I enlarged it and I thought you were on the falling piece, but were smiling, oh man my head.
>>
>>770049
Sounds sweet

What studies didya do for that?
>>
>>770062
A three month course to get basic tickets. After that I just worked as hard as I could and kept switching companies once I got what I needed from them. A lot of firms will happily leave you rotting on the ground so you have to fight to get climbs or just keep moving till you find somewhere that'll get you in the air. I lucked out with the second firm I joined as they had just lost their two lead climbers. So even though I was super green I got to do tons of work that was way beyond my skill level. Real baptism of fire. They put me through my passes and learnt a lot. I've semi-recently moved to a differnt company though as they've given me the chance to a lot more delicate pruning work, big reduction etc, something I wasn't getting at the last place. Am hoping to get another year under my belt then look to travel with the job.
>>
>>770066
Whew lad, thanks for the perspective
Have fun climbing your trees !
>>
>>770069
Hah. Am just home from work so stil buzzing. Kind of went over board with the typing.
>>
Aiming at military paras

D-does that count?
>>
>>766594
lies
you're telling me all the soil and water sampling methods, ecotoxicology and remediation I've been learning don't qualify me for it?
no pal, *I* will be the guy the contracts are written for
>>
Currently don't have an /out/ job at all but I'm considering going to school for a degree in Wildlife Biology and getting a job with the DNR or national forest service. Possibly try to go for a job as a conservation officer.

Any input?
>>
Doing a B.S. in Geology right now.

Hope to God that I can get into graduate school at University of Wyoming. God damn Yellowstone research.
>>
>>764132
Cougar is super cushy.
My treemotion is a little more versatile, but it is way more expensive and has an entirely different feel that I am not so sure is superior. I love the ergolite.
But the cougar is by far my favorite saddle that is under 300, and I try on every different one that I get the chance to.

Yes the bridge is nice.
Never running d rings for my tie in again.
>>
>>769956
What the hell kind of saddle is that?
I like that fancy lanyard but the webbing bridge looks lightweight.
>>
>>770444
Make sure you do undergrad research and get involved with the wildlife society or whatever you have at your school in some way.

Also, master's degree after a few seasons of experience.
>>
>>766892
Tell me more. I'm Biotech and I was hoping to find a gig like this. How do I get into this kind of stuff? I'll be graduating with a chem minor if that helps
>>
>>770858
Edelrid tree magic. It's a really light harness which was the main draw. I have the bridge at full length when Climbing like this and shorten it up for spiking.
>>
>>770870
That was kinda the plan. I was gonna join the wildlife society at the college and then during the summers try to grt an internship at the DNR. Then shortly after graduating going for a masters.
>>
>>765313

Also studying Environmental Management.

Land contamination seems pretty /out/, but thinking maybe try and get a job with SEPA so I can bait all the polluting faggots with enforcement orders. Righteous.
>>
>>771047
>SEPA
China?
>The Ministry of Environmental Protection of the People's Republic of China (MEP), formerly State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA)
>>
>>772336
Scottish Env Protection Agency

Fuck the Chinese, but I'd be down for some legit NGO work.

>British pay
>Expat lifestyle
>>
>>756463
Top kek, this is babby tier climbing. Imagine being a tower climber
>>
>>765313
Im studying coastal/marine management and im trying to get a job at a local camoinf shop
>>
File: aconitum-lycoctonum-habit.jpg (817 KB, 1100x796) Image search: [Google]
aconitum-lycoctonum-habit.jpg
817 KB, 1100x796
I do ecological landscape design.

it's fun if you don't mind the constant death threats from farmers.
>>
>>773881
Camping* stupid phone
>>
File: 1458629449136.jpg (71 KB, 480x960) Image search: [Google]
1458629449136.jpg
71 KB, 480x960
Question: you guys who do backcountry gigs, long hauls innawoods, national forest, etc.

Do you have medics inserted into your teams? I'm in paramedic school and am wondering what other opportunities there are besides ambulance/fire/ER.
>>
>>773882
>Constant death threats

Why are you getting death threats?

>>773942
The team lead is usually trained in wilderness first aid and most law enforcement have an EMT background as well. In larger parks they have full time rescue staff. If you like rock climbing there are a lot of gigs in popular rock climbing spots in National Parks.
>>
>>773997
farmers hate the environment.

if they can't dump tons of glyphosate on their land without taking the waterways into account they'll throw hissyfits.
>>
>>757354
Same here.
Alberta ?
>>
starting my electrician pre-apprenticeship on monday, hopefully get a job installing solar panels or climbing radio towers or something.
>>
File: IMG_20160131_194126.jpg (139 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160131_194126.jpg
139 KB, 640x640
This will be my second year working recreation for the forest service, I just clean bathrooms and pick up litter on my own, with my own truck and what not. Its really comfy, and when i finish my work for the day sometimes i stay on the clock to keep my 40h/week and just read books in the woods.

This year im returning but im also going to guard school to firefight on weekends. Anybody have experience with that? Any advice for the pack test and workouts and shit to prepare?

Also i need a pair of boots, at least 8" tall, leather, and with a vibrum sole. If anybody has any affordable recs that would be cool, too.
>>
GIS guy for innawoods locations.

Get paid to dick around innawoods making maps with a drone and other fun gadgets

them poor GIS fucks who get cubicle duty

Couldnt do it Id drive the google maps car before that shit
>>
>>756441
I'm a tour guide for a company I won't name in Alaska. I get to show people from all over the world my state dozens of miles from the nearest roads. My job is great.
>>
>>756525
I am currently in an office job. Go with the trades. I wish I had.
>>
>>766946
Been to Philmont twice with crews from my local troop, once as a scout the second as a leader. Enjoyed the hell out of it both times and still think fondly on it today. Have fun out in God's country this season Phil-anon.

Currently stuck in the office job but I've got to many indications that I am too /k/ and too /out/ to continue sitting behind a desk. Going to start looking for something else.
>>
Is it too late for most summer jobs?

We are on quarters so theres still another couple of weeks until I am done with classes. Had an interview for a shore based recreation intern, basically a shore based ranger that makes sure people are doing what theyre supposed to and not what they shouldnt. Its about an hour from where I live towards the sequoias (So Cal) and they provide housing. I had a phone interview today and did okay, should hear back tomorrow if I got it or not.

Are there any fire watch positions or something of the type, even trail maintenance that I can apply for for summer still?
>>
>>756441
see any good mushrooms?
>>
I work out in the woods doing silviculture and logging-related stuff. I do a lot of random things like:
- Audit planters and thinners
- Put in stream buffers on logging units
- Do inventory on recently-planted units
- Do stream profiles
- Clear roads
I hate a lot of it, since the weather is usually horrible and we often have to drive two hours to get from the office to the job site. Occasionally we get beautiful days, though, and I feel bad for everyone working indoors when they hit. Plus, slash burning makes up for a lot of it. It's hard to complain when you're getting paid to start big-ass fires.
>>
>Work mountain patrol
>Hiking up today in the blistering heat
>Look down at rock
>"DANK MEMES" in sharpie

T-th-thanks /out/
>>
Wish i did
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.