[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a reason not to buy a S'well metal canteen/thermos,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
Give me a reason not to buy a S'well metal canteen/thermos, aside from it being popular with college kids

>keeps hot liquid for 12 hours
>cold liquid for 24 hours
>simple and secure top, perfect mouth width
>quality stainless steel design, fairly lightweight
>aesthetic design good for outtawoods
>charitble company owned by a qt

Any canteens of similar quality I should look into? I really like the S'well.
>>
I've seen so many thermoses at yard sales, and for next to nothing
>>
>>754518
I prefer quality and dont mind paying for it. I have a "nice" Gevalia thermos that my dad got me, but its dinged up to
hell and a pain in the ass to actually use, because they made it so youre supposed to pour the coffee into the cap.

The thing has always leaked like a fucker and only keeps the coffee luke warm for about 4-5 hours in a room temperature setting. Its too trouble some
to take off the pouring device and drink directly from the canteen because the mouth is too large and then you have all
these extra parts lying around.

I like the S'wells simplicity and build quality. If Im going to buy a thermos, I want a proper one that will actually hold temperature for extended periods of time, not meme length time
>>
>>754515
>inconsistency in quality
>not durable

>hot for 12/cold for 24

I can buy any thermos that does that for a lot cheaper and maybe has more features like cups and handles.

If I were you, I would save my cash for something more useful but if you really want it, get it. Just make sure you read plenty of reviews as with anything you are going to drop money on.
>>
S T A N L E Y
T
A
N
L
E
Y
>>
>>754534
If you know of any thermos you really like that can hold temperature I'd like to investigate them. The whole point of the thread is to show me something better than this S'well.

I hate push and pour designs like I already said, and I dont care for rings and the like because I dont like dangle a full heavy canteen awkwardly outside of my packs. I want something steel that is ACTUALLY water tight, simple to drink from and will keep my water cold as fuck and my coffee hot as balls for extended periods of time.
>>
>>754538
These look bretty good and cheaper than the S'well, I'll look into it. How long does it keep your coffee hot?
>>
>>754538
Stanley products are well made and generally much more affordable than other name brands.
>>
>>754549
L O N G E N O U G H
O
N
G

E
N
O
U
G
H
>>
>>754532
who said they're not "proper"?

it's not as if it's a new invention...sure some are dollar store quality, but just because someone else doesn't want it anymore doesn't mean it isn't a quality product
>>
>>754587
>>754587

Looking at reviews Stanley seems to be good shit. Thanks anon I'll be picking one up in leu of the S'well
>>
>>754588
I just meant buying a shitty one that doesnt hold temperature and dings easily and leaks would be very regrettable. I dont like cheaping out on equipment, if you dont mind it and save a bunch of money good on you.
>>
>>754515
They look faggy as fuck and good luck using them to boil water, but then you provably are a city faggot who only goes on day hikes so go for it.
>>
>>754595
why would you assume any sort of insulating container would be used to boil water
>>
>>754515
My wife has one, seems decent. Just a pain in the ass to clean with the narrow neck. Outside of that though, seems nice.
>>
i'm so sick of these everyone has a hard dick about OMG HOURS like they've never seen the litany of other vacuum insulated bottles on the market
if you buy it because you like the quality/design, great
if you buy it because you think it's some fabulous new advancement in liquid storage technology, i want you to fill it with boiling water, wait 12 hours, then pour it in your fucking eyes
>>
>>754604
What's the point then? You need insulated bottles to go to the gym or to pose with your hipster friends, carrying that shit in a few days backpacking trip is pretty much useless.
>>
>>754610
Right now in my area it's the yeti cups. Yeti is becoming a redneck meme brand and now everyone is buying the vacuum insulated cups too. The ones with the plastic lids that don't insulate at all. Everytime someone talks about one it's always, "oh my god, I left it with ice water in my car for 3 weeks and when I came back it was still ice!"

Much better vacuum insulated shit has existed for much longer than Yeti and it tickles my autism. Yeti must be rolling in the dough though, with their newish popularity.
>>
>>754538
I remember my grandfather had one of these that he brought on a fishing trip when I was a young'n, he'd had it since my mother was a little'n. Still worked like the day he'd bought it, and I'll bet it still does, for whoever has it now.

I, however would never carry a thermos. When you carry all your gear five miles up a mountain to catch a fish, you make your coffee on the spot.
>>
>>754604
because he's a projecting assmad suburban retarf
>>
>>754660
the yeti beer can coolers are really neat, aside from the fact they are $15 fucking dollars each.
>>
>>754515
What can you tell me about MIRA or ICONIQ or AquaFlask or Thermo Tank or AOMERLY bottles OP? They all come up when I look for S'well bottles and they cost less. Less quality?
>>
>>754546
>If you know of any thermos you really like that can hold temperature I'd like to investigate them.
IME Thermos brand is good. Can't say if it's better than Stanley but it's certainly better than generic cheap shit. Sometimes stuff is still too hot by the time I want to consume it, even in winter.

I don't like the S'well because I sometimes like to bring chunky soup with some cut-up, fried up chunks of sausage in it on fall/winter trips. Also looks like a good way to burn your mouth if your coffee is still too hot, drinking it out of a narrow neck bottle like that.

Wide mouth for soup with a slotted stopper for pouring drinks, and a cup/bowl lid, is ideal IMO.

>>754646
>What's the point then?
Driving long distances at 3AM and staying awake. XC skiing. Fishing, hunting, and day hikes in cold weather. Fishing at night. Fishing at dawn. Maybe filling before you break camp to keep stuff warm until you make camp again so you don't need to start a fire to have coffee at lunch.

>>754774
If that's 5 miles vertical, you're well above the tree line and your stove and fuel and cookset probably weighs more than my small thermos so I question the weight savings, plus water boils at too low a temperature up there to make good coffee.

If you can't carry an extra pound 5 miles horizontally I don't know what to say.
>>
Never heard of them. That wood grain canteen is kinda cool though.
>>
>>754515
They're pretty awesome, but don't hold a lot of liquid. That is all.
>>
>>754515
>keeps hot liquid for 12 hours
>cold liquid for 24 hours
care to support those claims?
If this is true it might be worth the faggy packaging
>>
>>754931
any slew of anecdotes will verify the effectiveness of a good thermos. i once stole my grandmothers thermos for an outing, and 8 hours later i went for a sip. the coffeewas undrinkably hot still, that i scalded my tongue. those 8 hours were during north cali winter night as well
>>
>>754941
Is it extra cold in North call or something?
>>
>>754941
well damn. Got the model of the thermos? was it Thermos brand?
>>
>>754896
The wood grain is best looking of bunch, looks better in person. Second is the marble style, followed by solid basic steel
>>
>>754947
relatively. a canadian might laugh at me saying that, but not someone from the tropics that i hail. i would say it was just north of freezing

>>754951
sorry no, but it was one that you have to unscrew the top which is also a cup, then also unscrew a cork from the thermos itself. i would say it was about a centimeter of insulation. the volume of the entire product vs the volume of liquid it held wasnt expecially high. but like i said, it was surprisingly effective. i was never privy to exactly how effective a good thermos was until that night. seemed like magic that water i had boiled a memories age ago was still almost boiling hot, as if all the time that had passed was relatively infinitesimal, which of course in the scheme it was
>>
>>754958
physics my nigga. The heat of that coffee has a hell of a time trying to cross a centimeter of void to the exterior of the thermos. Since coffee isnt particularly radioactive it would have stayed hot for good time after that
>>
>>754960
im aware of many theoretical systems, but to actually experience them is a whole different thing
>>
>>754515
QUESTION
are there any hot/cold thermoses that are dishwasher safe!??!?!
>>
>>754515

>Give me a reason not to buy...

yes your product is perfect, shill, now fuck off.
>>
>>754591

*lieu
>>
>>754961
If you pour hot water in the thermos first it helps. You don't lose all the heat to the inner container. But that might just be a problem for people like me who don't heat there house above the temperature needed to not have my pipes freeze.
>>
>>754538
>Not Zojirushi or Nissan
Chinese made Stanley is garbage.
>>
>>754891
Because unless you're a day camper (cough* pleb cough*), you still have to carry the cookset to heat up whatever you're putting in the thermos. It just makes more sense to drop the extra weight and heat water as needed.
>>
>>755249
You meant day hiker right? Well, most people who actually go outdoors regularly instead of shitposting in thermos threads do a mix of day trips and camping trips. So you can shove your armchair elitism up your fat cheeto-fed ass.

Also I'm not one of those /k/owards who always hikes with a sidearm in case they get a spider in their tent, so I can spare the extra 500 grams.
>>
>>754515
my girlfriend has one. they don't hold much maybe 16oz
>>
>>755209
Nissan makes cars ya dingus
>>
File: nissan_bullet_box2.jpg (24 KB, 346x400) Image search: [Google]
nissan_bullet_box2.jpg
24 KB, 346x400
>>755316
>>
>>754515
All can recommend is a glass-lined, vacuum-insulated Thermos. You don't have to get Thermos brand name, but it must have a stainless steel metal body, be glass-lined, and vacuum-insulated. The only thing non-metal should be the replaceable rubber ring seal.
>>
>>755356
OP here
my current thermos is like this. A big silver dildo with a drinking cup lid and a pouring device. I fucking hate the cumbersome pouring device.

>>755401
I'll look into glass lined products, didnt know they were a thing
>>
>>754515
Because a nalgene oasis is way lighter and fuck keeping things the same temperature when /out/
>>
>>755712
>I'll look into glass lined products
Enjoy your cold coffee with glass shards if you bump it.
>>
One word, Hydroflask.
>>
50$ for a bottle. OP you must be retarded as fuck.
>>
>>755723
sounds delicious

>>755717
you sound like a lot of fun STALKER
>>
Why do so many faggots care about temperature? Eat some cold soup. Drink some warm water. Drink some cold coffee. Stop being a prissy faggot princess.
>>
File: Hiker_in_Trouble_2.jpg (188 KB, 1024x827) Image search: [Google]
Hiker_in_Trouble_2.jpg
188 KB, 1024x827
>>755923
>just drink it warm
>>
>charitble company owned by a qt

This is a edgy re-skin on the classic Stanley thermos, which is more so /out/ approved.

She will not come suck your cock or think anything of you if you buy her bottle you cuck.
>>
File: IMG_20131009_140254.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131009_140254.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>754515
Kleen
Kanteen

wider mouth for cleaning

>ask me how i know
>>
>>756253
Seconding this
>>
>>756253
how do you know?
>>
>>754660
>Yeti must be rolling in the dough though, with their newish popularity.

Same here and I can't even be mad at yeti. Thats what every company secretly hopes for right. For the price of some yetis I could buy a generator, a mini fridge and Cambodian kid to haul it around for me.

If Browning, mossy oak,Costa and yeti banded together they could rule the south. Magellan could do the same but I'd like to think they're above that.
>>
>>755956
What's this picture supposed to signify?
>>
>>755249
Have you ever considered that some people go on day trips, overnighters, multi day trips, fishing trips, hunting trips, road trips, skiing trips, cycle tours, rock climbing, bouldering, surfing, and so on...? You aren't limited to one outdoors activity.

It doesn't make you any more HARDCORE REAL /out/IST just because you refuse to do anything other than totally non pleb multi day hikes. It sounds like you compensating for something.

Unfuck yourself and stop worrying about how other people enjoy themselves.
>>
>>755976
Stanley is faux-vintage hipster shit.
>>
File: 1310117009916.jpg (34 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
1310117009916.jpg
34 KB, 450x350
>>756648
i own and wash the ones in the pic.
>>
>>756649
Browning, mossy oak, and Magellan tend to be more reasonably priced.

Fuck Costa though.
>>
>>755923
you must be a low energy skellington. your prose screams it
>>
>>756253
what bottle is that past the pot, and is it all steel?
>>
File: DSCN3619a.jpg (594 KB, 2044x1528) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3619a.jpg
594 KB, 2044x1528
>>755723
You have to really hit them hard to break them.

If you don't pre-heat or -pre-cool your Thermos glass or not glass, you'll end up with tepid liquid sooner.

My vintage stainless steel Champ even states that on the bottom (pic related).
>>
>>756935
Man that's being abused. Do you use it to hit your wife?
>>
>>756955
Someone gave it to me a last year. It is missing the cup. No clue what happened to it. There are 1000s of outdoor's men around here and yard sales are full of these things.
>>
File: HF-Product-Size-Chart-for-Web.png (137 KB, 900x475) Image search: [Google]
HF-Product-Size-Chart-for-Web.png
137 KB, 900x475
Hydroflask....nuff said....https://www.hydroflask.com/
>>
>>756823
you care too much about pretending not to care what people think of you
>>
>>756253
>>756959
One of these, or Fifty/fifty ect. You want a wide mouth for cleaning. I love my 32oz hydroflask for everyday stuff, and i have a 64oz one for super hippstery craft beer transporting
>>
>>756961
Nah, I'm just pointing out that modern Stanley is also a faux-retro offshore knockoff of old Stanley.
>>
>>756912
Snow peak kettle
It fits the 64oz bottles perfectly
I have a cushion so it won't rattle I made from a sonic route44 Styrofoam cup
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 290x290
OP here

Seeing the stanleys in person, I decided I didnt need something so gargantuan.
Hydroflasks looked pretty nice but I wasnt 100% sold.
Klean Kanteen was nice and lightweight but had a very small mouth and I feel like I could ding it to death.

Ended up getting this guy. Even cheaper than the stanley and exactly what I was looking for in the ease of drinkability dept.

Put in hot coffee yesterday morning (preheated it first) and let it sit there for 6 hours. Coffee was only hair colder all that time later, and I feel like it could still
be enjoyably warm after another 6 hours.

Really happy with this product
>>
>>756982
Do they fill your hydroflask at breweries where you live or do they only fill up their own growlers?
>>
>>756959
I got a big 40 oz Hydroflask and really love it. I even got a Jug Lug for it. My biggest criticism is how fragile they are, but my shit stays at temp forever and the steel doesn't take on tastes from anything. At first I felt like I got meme'd, but the bottle ended up being quality.

I kind of want a 64oz now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFM0UR51EGw
>>
File: Homebrewing.jpg (65 KB, 550x322) Image search: [Google]
Homebrewing.jpg
65 KB, 550x322
>>759078
>10:15 on a Saturday night + 5940 seconds
>not being your own brewery
>>
>>756670
>>755249
Fuckin toasted m8
>>
What's the worst that could happen if I put a hydroflask in a fire?
>>
File: 03r32cal.jpg (103 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
03r32cal.jpg
103 KB, 780x520
>>755209
>>755316
>>755356
lol didn't know this
>>
>>761664
explode
>>
>>761664
I imagine the metal would expand to where the vacuum gets ruined and then you just have a charred up $35 cup. Get something cast iron if youre going to be dumb
>>
>>754515
Buy a thermos faggot. Mine keeps liquid hot for 24 hrs
>>
>>754538

Kept water boiling warm for 3 days!! THE FUCK IS THIS MAGIC!?
>>
>>762499
see
>>759075

It's fucking great. Left hot coffee in it yesterday for 12 hours and it was still hot
>>
File: 1462622414688.png (18 KB, 172x247) Image search: [Google]
1462622414688.png
18 KB, 172x247
>>755268
>/k/owards
What are "trail angels" for $500?

I was robbed once. Never again.
>>
>>754515
they're shit and easy to break
>>
>>755356
this has treated me well for a million years
>>
>>759078
In my town most bars will fill it and any brewery.
>>
>>762731
Out of curiousity, just how many bars and breweries are in 'your town'?
I've known major cities to have multiple brewers but I've yet to hear of a town with more than 1.
>>
>>762809
Not him, im OP, I live in San Diego and there are literally >90 here. I can walk to at least 5. Its fucking great. But growler laws are weird. I know one law is a brewery cannot fill a growler with another brewery's name on it
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (5 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
5 KB, 300x300
Pic related is the one I have, it's the same make as >>759075 but with a screw-in stopper and cup instead of the easy sip lid. I recommend getting this style with the cup because I frequently have to pour my tea into the cup and let it cool for 1-2 minutes even after 10+ hours in the thermos. I think if you got the easy sip type you would burn yourself a lot.
>>
>>754958
>a canadian might laugh at me saying that
correct they would, but it's still pretty impressive nonetheless.
>>
>>762973
I dont really burn myself with coffee, it comes out pretty much perf. I hate the cup style, too easy to spill everywhere and annoying to deal with two parts.

If I needed my shit to cool I'd just open the whole lid for a bit or splash cold water in
>>
File: 1463031211748-679702287.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1463031211748-679702287.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Hear me out, those plastic bottles are not reusable after using hot water, boiling hot mind you they warp to shot sooner or later. I DOUBT it is even right to drink out of them at that point. I work outside at night. I am usually in a rush to get to work because I like healthy amount of sleep. SO in order to avoid Jack in the Crack, or Mc Don't pay a living wage burger. I drink a weight loss shake I mix in boiling water with vegetable powder. I get all the protein and vitamins I need, it has a good amount of caffeine due to all the green tea powder mixed in. It is also nice to have hot water on your own at night. It feels civilized. It is also way more easy to clean after making a nutrition sludge I drink.

It is more sanitary,
It helps me Stay healthy
It is way more durable.

Why the funk would you deal with plastic bullshit?
>>
>>763220
uh, kek
>>
>>754518
Only if they're glass lined or stainless steel. Uses plastic bottles are fucking impossible to get stains/smells/tastes out of.
>>
anybody here stripped the powder coating from a hydroflask?
I find it kind of annoying, I'd rather have the smooth steel.
>>
>>763220
Has anyone meassured your 'tism levels?
>>
File: 1427940691382.jpg (990 KB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1427940691382.jpg
990 KB, 4128x2322
>>763586
Yes actually I will have you know that I am above average intelligence and with some highly gifted areas, but with a cognitive language delay. Which sucks. I don't speak often but when I do, it is amazing.
>>
>>764215
>bbq coals
>huge chunk of unburnt wood that isn't surrounded by smaller burning branches so it catches the heat

casual detected.
>>
>>764222
My wife's doing, that did not cook for shit. No causal though. I work outdoors for a living. I spent more than 3 years in the woods for work give or take.
>>
>>764215
Is that bacon between the broc? Why the tinfoil? Why that towel? That grill looks bretty gud tho
>>
File: IMG_0261.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1832) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0261.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1832
Own a bubba HERO grip 20oz thermos. Keeps things hot and cold for up to 6 hours or more.
My only complaint is that the O ring is made of rubber, and will shrink/degrade over time since its exposed to really hot liquids frequently. I could fix this by using a metal O ring but I don't even know if they make them that big. Also, it has no mouth reservoir so sometimes things will spill out when you drink it a certain way.
3/5 thermos overall. Its also pretty cheap.
>>
>>756656
A hiker in trouble, specifically the second image in the set.
>>
>>754984

Not much of a shill. Someone convinced him to buy a Stanley thermomeme instead and so he decided to do that.
>>
>>755733

Another word, prolapse.
>>
>>761664

The worst? The fire could attract hillbillies, who would rape you. The blood smell would draw bears, who would then eat you, but leave your maimed, humiliated, herpes-infected body to undergo years of painful surgery and rehabilitation. Robbed of your health, youth, and dignity, traumatized for life, you'd waste away in your mom's basement crying yourself to sleep at night.
>>
>>756823
If it works, why hate it? I got
>coleman backpack
>farmers boots
>camo pants

No one has ever bothered me about it. That's my EDC, by the way.
>>
>>755316
Remington originally made type writers, and now they make guns and razors. ur Point?
>>
>>754538
had a stanley thermos that was a piece of shit. literally conducted heat straight through it within minutes.
>>
>>754515
they look gay as fuck yo
>>
>>767990
I can make coffee or tea at night and it'll be hot through the day with my stanley thermos. Maybe your vacuum was borked.
>>
>>754814
Just bought a Mira 17 oz. Seems pretty good. I don't drink enough water each day, and this seemed like a good way to try. Love keeping water nice and chilly, and like the option of putting coffee or tea in there. Plus, half the price of swell.
>>
>>759078
>>762809
I've never been to a brewery that only filled their own. The staff usually thinks the Hydroflask is cool and take pictures

I have 7 breweries in my county. 4 are within 15 minutes
>>
anybody else think the name 'growler' is kinda gay?
who the fuck thought of that?
>>
>>754515
My wife has one, the capacity sucks for water. You'd need to refill it a ton of times if you were taking it on a hike or camping thing. I'm way better off with a 1.5 liter nalgene. -

Maybe it's good for a hot beverage like coffee or something like u say. As a water bottle forget it.
>>
>>754515
buy one
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.