[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woman and mother in life/death situation surrive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 512x341) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 512x341
http://www.wral.com/north-carolina-pair-survive-5-days-in-new-zealand-wilderness/15676494/

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/15673618/
>>
>pilot finds them after 30 mins of looking around the forest

this seems a little strange
>>
File: 1461421332537.jpg (55 KB, 546x479) Image search: [Google]
1461421332537.jpg
55 KB, 546x479
>>754416
>new zealand
>wilderness
>>
>>754416
> loses cheese over a waterfall
lolwut?

Maybe they wouldn't have gotten lost if people weren't kicking over cairns
there's a whole thread dedicated to it

> women in charge of directions

This story read out like a shitty comedy movie desu
>>
>>754416
Literally following ribbons just because. And neither of them thought about following the ribbons in the opposite direction to get back to the trail. Genius.jpg
>>
so they:
>left cell phones on the entire time
>didn't think to tell anyone they were only going on a one day hike
>had food near the only source that could fuck that up
>didn't just backtrack
>made help signs and then left the help signs to go make other help signs
>wasted energy with spelling help instead of SOS
>stayed in the wet clothes the entire time

what else am I missing?
>>
File: asdsadsa.jpg (87 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
asdsadsa.jpg
87 KB, 1920x1080
>>754583
>>stayed in the wet clothes the entire time

Why wouldn't you stay in wet clothes? If you need a drink you can just squeeze your clothes.
>>
File: IMG_0237.jpg (1 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0237.jpg
1 MB, 2816x2112
Haha, this reminds of my first time travelling overseas in New Zealand on my own. Id just finished a deployment with the military and was pretty cashed up with spare time so spent 3 months in south Island New Zealand.

My first hike there was the Cass-Lagoon saddle track, an overnight one. I got off the bus at the point where it starts expecting to be doing it on my own. But, right there are six Mormons ready to do the trek as well, three dudes and three females (one young two older, none particularly fit). I figured I had myself some hiking buddies for my first trip, nice people too really.

We hike along, nice scenery, get to the hut, sleep the night. The next day, the women aren't feeling too great in their muscles, so they tell us guys to go ahead. Bad mistake! About 2hrs or so into the trek us guys noticed a side-path. We checked it wasn't the main path and confirmed we needed to keep going along the river. We decided it was an old mining path still in occasional use as a now hiking trail. Someone notes, that maybe the women will take that track instead of the main one. That's exactly what they did...

At a smaller hut later on we take a lunch stop and hope to see the women. No avail. After another 2-3 hours more than necessary they finally come around the corner.

Pic related is the valley they would have gotten lost in.
>>
>>754601
>mormons in charge of finding the right path
>>
>>754601
How did you guys get lost on a side path?
>>
>>754583
You forgot that they drank from the water without sanitizing it.

I love that they thought to turn off background data or whatever but not there phones. Or that they had them both on at the same time!

>>754612
Top kek

I'm no survivalist expert but most of this is common fucking sense.
>hurr durr she was a valedictorian
Shows you the low standards of the college t b h desu

Don't you at least learn critical thinking skills? I could go on and on with this.
>>
>it was so steep it was physically impossible to climb back up.

Whaaaaa...so they followed these blue markers that took them down some steep as fuck hill that they couldn't climb back up? How does that even work? Sounds like they didn't try hard enough
>>
>>754847

NZ waters are clean AF been drinking the water straight outta streams and rivers for the past 3 months no problemos.
>>
>>754416
New Zealand here, this happens to foreigners all the time. Lucky most of the fresh water is uncontaminated, however they really shouldn't have gone out into the bush without a male. Silly girls. They made amateur mistakes after mistake, we have great rescue services but thank god they were ok. Building makeshift shelters and finding edible food is easy but novice trampers should always stick to the path.
>>
>>755366
I would think a rule of thumb is if you can't reverse something you do/where you go you should at the very least stop and think about it.
>>
>>755497
Which brings us back to the whole thread but in particular to this particular remark by anon here>>754847
>I'm no survivalist expert but most of this is common fucking sense

How can two people can be that stupid? What kind of special needs college lets this kind of people in?
>>
>>755514
Kek, both those posts are mine.

You know what I think is wrong with schools that might have prevented this? Lack of teaching critical thinking and problem solving skills. I feel like everything is geared towards memorization. There's a term that relates to problem solving that I can't remember. It's like a type of it. Doesn't help I'm falling asleep. Not flow chart or process of elimination but a systematic approach.
>>
>>755514
Jesus my spelling there. Need to stop using floss. Pizashit.
>>
>>755686
>floss
? I know you're not referring to the dental string.
>>
>>755694
>floens
cheeky app rustling mu jimmies
ENOUGH.jpg
>>
>>754847
>You forgot that they drank from the water without sanitizing it.

It's a mountain stream in New Zealand, not the Ganges, Pajeet.
>>
>>755677

Yeah I'm sure you know everything about the education she received.
>>
>>755706
>you need an education to follow blue ribbons back to the path of orange ribbons that takes you back to safety in less than a day

U wot m8?
>>
>>754482

>implying that normies like that even know what a cairn is, let alone use them for navigation
>>
>>754601

Women: if they didn't have cunts you'd throw rocks at 'em.
>>
>>755705
Yeah, mountain streams are cleaner but there still are risks. But I bet that is some really tasty water.

>>755706
I made a generalization you idiot. Maybe you should work on your own education.
>>755790
I wouldn't throw rocks, just stay as far away as possible. Never got why the vagina was called a snatch until I got my dick wet and then realized the flaming hoops I was jumping through to get it.
>>
Another NZer here it costs thousands of dollars to rescue every stupid foreigner who gets lost in the bush. I hope they make these retards pay
>>
>>756639
This is true for pretty much anywhere that has scenic wilderness. Here in Oregon, someone dies on Mt. Hood pretty much every single year, sometimes more than one. It is considered an entry-level mountain, but this only serves to lure 1. under-prepared beginners and 2. Seasoned mountaineers that slack off because they think they are immune to mistakes on such an 'easy' mountain as Hood. This invariably leads to SAR going up the mountain to find some bodies, sometimes with our ANG pararescue unit having to drop in for a visit.
>>
NZer here, I laughed when this was reported on the news. those two had no fucking clue what they were doing, and were completely unprepared

even if you are just going on a day hike, at least be prepared for sudden weather and the possibility of being delayed. these girls weren't even appropriately attired iirc
>>
>>755964
>there are still risks
Yeah, nah. Most outdoors shops in NZ don't even carry filtration systems for sale, and the ones that do only sell them to tourists. We just drink water straight out of the stream. It's clean as fuck.
>>
>>758377
yeah didymo and shit are spreading though. in a decade filtration is gonna be absolutely necessary at this rate
>>
>>758377
I don't trust it. How do I know if something didn't just die upstream? Or that an anon shit in it?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.